What does living within your means really mean?

we'll just have to disagree and NO WAY is it just Christians that believe in helping thy neighbor....it's religious and non religious that are charitable....just like it is religious and non religious that believe murder is wrong, stealing is wrong etc...

Name one religion that teaches to take care of the sick and strangers?

Besides Christianity?

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life. ”

Aren't you quoting Christian scripture?

Name one religion that teaches to take care of the sick and strangers?

Besides Christianity?

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life. ”

You said name one. You didn't say aside from or in addition to Christianity.

You have it wrong not one group you mentioned is charitable to someone that is not part of their religion.
that's just not true big reb....as an example, just take Catholic hospitals, or Baptist hospitals, Mount Sinai hospitals or the religious institutions that have food banks or homeless shelters accept and are charitable to people of all different faiths and the non religious alike....in fact, I don't know of any religious charity that only takes care of those in the same Faith.

Your example is two faith from the same religion try again.
mount sinai hospitals are Jewish based not the same faith... and as said, they help everyone, not only patients of their own faith.

that's just not true big reb....as an example, just take Catholic hospitals, or Baptist hospitals, Mount Sinai hospitals or the religious institutions that have food banks or homeless shelters accept and are charitable to people of all different faiths and the non religious alike....in fact, I don't know of any religious charity that only takes care of those in the same Faith.

Your example is two faith from the same religion try again.
mount sinai hospitals are Jewish based not the same faith... and as said, they help everyone, not only patients of their own faith.

Ever heard of judeo christian values?

Besides Christianity?

Well damn you are not following Cares and my discussion you just target in on what I said. Mine and her discussion consist of the only charitable religion with anyone of any faith or no faith are Christians that is their teaching.

Now if the government is going to take care of people then the government is violating the Constitution, because of the anti religion people argument of separation of church and state.

Well damn you are not following Cares and my discussion you just target in on what I said. Mine and her discussion consist of the only charitable religion with anyone of any faith or no faith are Christians that is their teaching.

Now if the government is going to take care of people then the government is violating the Constitution, because of the anti religion people argument of separation of church and state.

You studied those other religions?

Buddhism is another religion that takes care of strangers. There is a hospital that was built on the contributions of very poor Buddhist people giving what they could.

Mixing her idealism with perseverance, Cheng Yen often commits herself to a project before raising the money. Despite worries about funding, she overruled skeptics and agreed to the requests of every school headmaster who knocked at Tzu Chi's door asking for money to rebuild after an earthquake flattened a slice of central Taiwan in 1999. Tzu Chi raised $300 million to build 51 schools, all shock-resistant structures. After eight years of trying, she built her first hospital in 1986 by collecting small donations and bypassing big donors. "Do not leave trouble to our offspring," she told her disciples when explaining why she declined an offer from a Japanese donor to underwrite the whole hospital project. She worried that relying on a single donor would jeopardize Tzu Chi's independence if the donor demanded a bigger say in its operation.http://www.forbes.com/global/2010/0...philanthropy-widjaja-sister-of-charity_2.html

We look after people in prison, refugees, hospice, and more.

I write to people in prison, I support a family of six Tibetan refugees in India, we support a Buddhist nuns project. And so on. Not to brag but to just show that it isn't ONLY Christians who practice generosity.

Generosity is the first of the Six Perfections and it is considered the easiest to accomplish.

Last edited:
Living within your means means no debt except a reasonable mortgage on a home and possibley a car payment.
The total payments for both are well within your income when figured in with your other living expenses.

If YOUR MEANS are too small to meet basic human needs then you die

There is a safety net to prevent that from happening. About any county in the US has a trustee who can help with financial problems and in addition direct a destitute person to an agency or charity that can help out. For instance a person or family can go to Salvation Army, find help with getting temporary living quarters, sources of food, enabled to get cleaned up, and some clothing if they are not already engaged with the safety net.

But I am painfully aware there are people who are destitute and have no clue about where to go, and how to obtain help. If they have no earnings at all then it is impossible to live within a budget. I'm sad to say that as the wife and I approached Menard's tonight there was a youngish man pushing a shopping cart, off the main road there and down the railroad right-of way. I could see that he had only some crushed soda cans and a child's rubber ball, about the size of a small basketball. None of that - trash really - was going to stand him in good stead.

It makes me angry when people say that these people don't want work or else they'd find it. The poorer a person gets the harder it is to find work, and sadly there are people out there who haven't been brought up with a work ethic and social skills to work with others, so that if they were offered work, they'd have a really hard time being productive workers, and will even say no to an offer out of the fear they feel of such an offer.

Last edited:
Got into a discussion with The Rabbi about this, he thinks a credit card of $3500 is still living within your means. That is apparently the average these days; I say it depends on your ability to pay it off. If you have an average income X, and you spend on average X, then you are living within your means. Some months you go over, some months you don't, it evens out over time. But if you're exceeding X in spending on a regular basis and your debt is growing, then you are not living within your means.

But if you're exceeding X in spending on a regular basis and your debt is growing, then you are not living within your means

Like the Obama administration except they are on spending steroids. :cuckoo:

Buddhism is another religion that takes care of strangers. There is a hospital that was built on the contributions of very poor Buddhist people giving what they could.

Mixing her idealism with perseverance, Cheng Yen often commits herself to a project before raising the money. Despite worries about funding, she overruled skeptics and agreed to the requests of every school headmaster who knocked at Tzu Chi's door asking for money to rebuild after an earthquake flattened a slice of central Taiwan in 1999. Tzu Chi raised $300 million to build 51 schools, all shock-resistant structures. After eight years of trying, she built her first hospital in 1986 by collecting small donations and bypassing big donors. "Do not leave trouble to our offspring," she told her disciples when explaining why she declined an offer from a Japanese donor to underwrite the whole hospital project. She worried that relying on a single donor would jeopardize Tzu Chi's independence if the donor demanded a bigger say in its operation.Sister of Charity - Forbes.com

I write to people in prison, I support a family of six Tibetan refugees in India, we support a Buddhist nuns project. And so on. Not to brag but to just show that it isn't ONLY Christians who practice generosity.

Generosity is the first of the Six Perfections and it is considered the easiest to accomplish.

I started a new thread.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/228971-buddhism-i-wish-to-learn-more.html

What if the company you worked at took the Bush tax cuts and used the money to send your job to China? Then Republicans closed the Jr. College you were going to, to earn skills for a new job? Then, how do you live within your means without government help?

Unless the GOP answer is "go die"? Is that the answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
What if the company you worked at took the Bush tax cuts and used the money to send your job to China? Then Republicans closed the Jr. College you were going to, to earn skills for a new job? Then, how do you live within your means without government help?

Go find another job. That's the answer.

If YOUR MEANS are too small to meet basic human needs then you die

So what does a person do?

Get a job, get a better job, get two jobs, give up booze, give up cigarettes, any of those?

or

Live off other Taxpayers?

We can probably guess your answer :)

Well they join the democrat party.
Then they demand that those that have because they produce
get taxed a much higher rate. Then the Democrat President
finds a way to funnel that money to the democrat voters..... :D

Mixing her idealism with perseverance, Cheng Yen often commits herself to a project before raising the money. Despite worries about funding, she overruled skeptics and agreed to the requests of every school headmaster who knocked at Tzu Chi's door asking for money to rebuild after an earthquake flattened a slice of central Taiwan in 1999. Tzu Chi raised $300 million to build 51 schools, all shock-resistant structures. After eight years of trying, she built her first hospital in 1986 by collecting small donations and bypassing big donors. "Do not leave trouble to our offspring," she told her disciples when explaining why she declined an offer from a Japanese donor to underwrite the whole hospital project. She worried that relying on a single donor would jeopardize Tzu Chi's independence if the donor demanded a bigger say in its operation.Sister of Charity - Forbes.com

Wrong the teachings of Buddhism is not of charity that one person maybe giving but Buddhist are reclusive people

oh the same money that also sent jobs top china while obama is still president?

Forum List

Back