What Does the American Flag Mean to the World?

Your ignorance nearly matches your arrogance, Butch:

Slavery Made America

"...by 1860, there were more millionaires (slaveholders all) living in the lower Mississippi Valley than anywhere else in the United States.

"In the same year, the nearly 4 million American slaves were worth some $3.5 billion, making them the largest single financial asset in the entire U.S. economy, worth more than all manufacturing and railroads combined.

"So, of course, the war was rooted in these two expanding and competing economies—but competing over what? What eventually tore asunder America's political culture was slavery's expansion into the Western territories."
How does any of this dubious cut and paste apply to or contradict what I posted?
You must work very hard to remain so ignorant and in your bubble.

If you're asking us to comment on what it means to those you posted pictures of, my take is that the protestors are thinking strategically when they hoist the American Flag in hopes that it will solicit support for their cause, human rights and to put them in a global spotlight for protection.

Sadly it has not.........we are struggling ourselves these days with what we want our role to be regarding human rights and global protection. Our focus under this Administration is purely internal with American's first. Not to say that is a bad thing but we shouldn't pretend that it won't have crippling affects globally.
You clearly haven't listened to the PLETHORA of interviews being done with those carrying the American flags.

They state that they are carrying them because they represent the freedoms they are demanding.

Of course contractors to the NFL are not coerced in any way.
I wasn't aware the poster I replied to was an NFL player. Which team does he play for? What is his position?
Any career highlights that you know of?

NFL players are required as a condition of their employment to simply stand up during the playing of the national anthem as an absolutely minimal showing of respect for it

The league has determined it is good for their image and it pleases their customers so this is an employment issue...not one of forced patriotism. The NFL can force NO ONE to venerate the American flag. They only require you stand up for a brief time during the playing of the anthem.

Anyone terribly triggered by simply having to stand for a moment (in exchange for tens of millions of dollars) can take the Kaepernick option and simply leave. No one can stop them.

My point stands. No one is forced or compelled to bow to the flag.

Last edited:
Can you spot any familiar faces?
No. Is a small band of miscreants and losers in Charlottesville supposed to define America as it has corrected and
long since moved past the sin of slavery (which was never embraced outside of the deep South) as I documented?

Get a life, Junior. You are a hateful squalid little turd.
No. Is a small band of miscreants and losers in Charlottesville supposed to define America as it has corrected and
long since moved past the sin of slavery (which was never embraced outside of the deep South) as I documented?

Slavery Made America

"...by 1860, there were more millionaires (slaveholders all) living in the lower Mississippi Valley than anywhere else in the United States.

"In the same year, the nearly 4 million American slaves were worth some $3.5 billion, making them the largest single financial asset in the entire U.S. economy, worth more than all manufacturing and railroads combined.

"So, of course, the war was rooted in these two expanding and competing economies—but competing over what? What eventually tore asunder America's political culture was slavery's expansion into the Western territories."
Slaves were cheap labor. They didn’t make squat.
American ingenuity and ambition made America.
Slaves were cheap labor. They didn’t make squat.
American ingenuity and ambition made America.
Human labor made America just like every other society in history, and "free" labor was a big part of US economic expansion during the first century of its existence.

The lifestyle you and I enjoy today was built on chattel slavery and genocide.

ransom.civil_.war_.us_.figure2.jpg

The Economics of the Civil War

"The Northern states also had a huge economic stake in slavery and the cotton trade.

"The first half of the nineteenth century witnessed an enormous increase in the production of short-staple cotton in the South, and most of that cotton was exported to Great Britain and Europe. Figure 2 charts the growth of cotton exports from 1815 to 1860.

"By the mid 1830s, cotton shipments accounted for more than half the value of all exports from the United States.

"Note that there is a marked similarity between the trends in the export of cotton and the rising value of the slave population depicted in Figure 1.

"There could be little doubt that the prosperity of the slave economy rested on its ability to produce cotton more efficiently than any other region of the world."

Slavery Made America

There is not a nation on earth that didn’t practice the institution of slavery, ignoramus.
There is not a nation on earth that didn’t practice the institution of slavery, ignoramus.
Show me any "nation on earth" that has earned as much profit from chattel slavery as the USA, Sissy:

Slavery Made America

"by 1860, there were more millionaires (slaveholders all) living in the lower Mississippi Valley than anywhere else in the United States. In the same year, the nearly 4 million American slaves were worth some $3.5 billion, making them the largest single financial asset in the entire U.S. economy, worth more than all manufacturing and railroads combined."

If you're asking us to comment on what it means to those you posted pictures of, my take is that the protestors are thinking strategically when they hoist the American Flag in hopes that it will solicit support for their cause, human rights and to put them in a global spotlight for protection.

Sadly it has not.........we are struggling ourselves these days with what we want our role to be regarding human rights and global protection. Our focus under this Administration is purely internal with American's first. Not to say that is a bad thing but we shouldn't pretend that it won't have crippling affects globally.
You clearly haven't listened to the PLETHORA of interviews being done with those carrying the American flags.

They state that they are carrying them because they represent the freedoms they are demanding.

Well......they probably don't have the free internet that we have and so they are under the impression that the US still champions that freedom around the globe which we clearly no longer do per the platform and agenda of the current administration. This administration has been very clear that they do not want to police the world. Their objective is America first.

There's a difference between wanting something to be true and it being true.

I don't need to listen to a plethora of interviews to understand that.

Last edited:

He’s just envious that America is the greatest nation in history.
He’s just envious that America is the greatest nation in history.
5411.jpg

White Supremacy Has Never Been Fringe

"Note that there is a marked similarity between the trends in the export of cotton and the rising value of the slave population depicted in Figure 1.
Explain how the slave population represented a "rising value". Since when do the value of slaves rise? Because of all those wage hikes and benefits cotton growers paid out to their slaves?

Last edited:
White Supremacy Has Never Been Fringe
Of course it has. Over time explicitly racist groups like the Klan and Nazis have become more and more marginalized
and held is disrepute until today there are a tiny isolated minority.
You are an asshole. A cut and paste asshole who never justifies b.s. but just jumps from citation to citation in a cut and paste chain of unsubstantiated claims.

Slavery Made America

How does any of this dubious cut and paste apply to or contradict what I posted?
You must be the dumbest AND the saltiest cracker in the box, Cracker.
You claimed white supremacists on the streets of Charlottsville in 2017 didn't define an America that "has corrected and long since moved past the sin of slavery" when, in fact, capitalism and white supremacy continue to oppress and alienate people of color today in ways similar to the effects of chattel slavery and Jim Crow.
impact-of-drug-laws-on-black-and-latino-communities_1.png

The Drug War, Mass Incarceration and Race (English/Spanish)
fyi: it's never too late to try college.

Of course contractors to the NFL are not coerced in any way.
I wasn't aware the poster I replied to was an NFL player. Which team does he play for? What is his position?
Any career highlights that you know of?

NFL players are required as a condition of their employment to simply stand up during the playing of the national anthem as an absolutely minimal showing of respect for it

The league has determined it is good for their image and it pleases their customers so this is an employment issue...not one of forced patriotism. The NFL can force NO ONE to venerate the American flag. They only require you stand up for a brief time during the playing of the anthem.

Anyone terribly triggered by simply having to stand for a moment (in exchange for tens of millions of dollars) can take the Kaepernick option and simply leave. No one can stop them.

My point stands. No one is forced or compelled to bow to the flag.
No, the NFL does NOT require players to stand during the Propaganda Pageant prior to each game:

U.S. national anthem protests (2016–present) - Wikipedia

"To address the backlash, the NFL released a national anthem policy in May 2018, stating that players and team personnel were required to stand during the national anthem. Those who chose not to stand were required to remain in the locker room."
Martin-King-on-War-640x510.jpg

Why do you believe free workers should be required to salute the flag of the greatest purveyor of violence in the world?

"To address the backlash, the NFL released a national anthem policy in May 2018, stating that players and team personnel were required to stand during the national anthem. Those who chose not to stand were required to remain in the locker room."
This makes my point even more strong. The NFL, as of May 2018 apparently, doesn't even require players to spend two crummy minutes pretending they are honoring this country anymore.
As I said, no one is forced to venerate the flag, as you so idiotically claimed, and you've just helped me prove that.

You claimed white supremacists on the streets of Charlottsville in 2017 didn't define an America that "has corrected and long since moved past the sin of slavery" when, in fact, capitalism and white supremacy continue to oppress and alienate people of color today in ways similar to the effects of chattel slavery and Jim Crow.
And you must be the dumbest dumb fuck ever to come out of a junior college social justice club.
Mandatory Minimums and Sentencing Reform — Criminal Justice Policy Foundation
Where problems exist they are addressed.

Makes ya wonder why the current administration has not voiced strong, unequivocal support for the protesters. Deal with China? Cash trumps freedom in a transactional, non-ideological president.

Explain how the slave population represented a "rising value". Since when do the value of slaves rise? Because of all those wage hikes and benefits cotton growers paid out to their slaves?
Perhaps you should do some research before posting on this topic?

The Economics of the Civil War

"Figure 1 plots the total value of all slaves in the United States from 1805 to 1860.

"In 1805 there were just over one million slaves worth about $300 million; fifty-five years later there were four million slaves worth close to $3 billion.

"In the 11 states that eventually formed the Confederacy, four out of ten people were slaves in 1860, and these people accounted for more than half the agricultural labor in those states. In the cotton regions the importance of slave labor was even greater.

"The value of capital invested in slaves roughly equaled the total value of all farmland and farm buildings in the South.

"Though the value of slaves fluctuated from year to year, there was no prolonged period during which the value of the slaves owned in the United States did not increase markedly.

"Looking at Figure 1, it is hardly surprising that Southern slaveowners in 1860 were optimistic about the economic future of their region. They were, after all, in the midst of an unparalleled rise in the value of their slave assets."
ransom.civil_.war_.us_.figure1.jpg

More slaves equals more of an investment in slavery but that in and of itself does not raise the value of each individual slave.
Try reading my full comment.

This makes my point even more strong. The NFL, as of May 2018 apparently, doesn't even require players to spend two crummy minutes pretending they are honoring this country anymore.
As I said, no one is forced to venerate the flag, as you so idiotically claimed, and you've just helped me prove that.

First - thank you for my word of the day, venerate. I had to look it up.

I'm torn on the NFL/Flag issue for a variety of reasons but they all fall within 3 buckets:
  • Racial prejudice
  • Freedom of speech
  • Honoring our country
If I had the answer on how to accomplish all 3 simultaneously I would market it. I will say that a message will fail if it's framed in a way that insults a majority of people. Black Lives Matters was also poorly launched and the objective was damaged because it was perceived as an insult or slight to everyone who wasn't black (whether real or imagined). Creating a narrative or movement that is self serving without others calling it self serving was the problem in both these cases.

We're still debating these issues and those who introduced them are still struggling to redefine the meaning of both movements.

Slavery Made America

impact-of-drug-laws-on-black-and-latino-communities_1.png

The Drug War, Mass Incarceration and Race (English/Spanish)
fyi: it's never too late to try college.

What the fuck? Could it possibly be they commit the crimes?

Forum List

Back