What Does The Bible REALLY Say About Queer People?

image46.jpg

June is Gay Pride Month. It is a time for parades and for festivals, for rainbow flags and for dance tents. It is a time to recognize the amazing progress that has been made on LGBT equality as we recommit ourselves to continuing the struggle until liberty and justice for all really means "all." Everywhere.

And this year it is not only about gearing up for Pride; it is about counting down to "Decision Day." It is about awaiting the Supreme Court rulings on the Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee marriage cases -- rulings due any day - that could finally make marriage equality a reality in all fifty states.

So here's the 2015 version of my Top Ten FAQs about God, Jesus, the Bible and LGBT People -- offered in hope that together we truly can be the change we want to see in the world and offered in rebuttal to the rabid rhetoric of the anti-gay religious right that infuses our public discourse and infects our political process. Those who use God, Jesus and the Bible as weapons of mass discrimination do not speak for me. And they do not speak for my church.

1. Is being gay a sin?
No. Sins are acts that separate us from God and keep us from loving our neighbors as ourselves. Being gay is not a sin. Bullying is a sin. Being hateful to other people is a sin. Putting yourself in the place of God to judge others is a sin. Being gay is not.

Much More (2 thru 10): God, Jesus and the Bible: FAQs for Gay Pride Month - Rev. Susan Russell

Why do homophobes waste so much time, energy and hate being afraid of LGBT folks and trying to legislate them into the shadows? Fear and superstition, I suppose. I don't get it.
I think your right Lakota, gay people are the minority and all the gay people I have known and worked with have been good people, they are good at their jobs they help people, and they leave people alone. Yet all I hear from the christians and the right is how they are destroying American values! Lol how is expressing yourself and the pursuit of happiness destroying American values? It does not hurt Christianity at all nor does it hurt heterosexual marriage, because heterosexual will still get married they will still have children and life will go on. Why they concern themselves with other people's private lives is beyond me? I think it is about control, they want to control everything, and instead of living their own lives they want to force people into believing how they do. I see little difference in sharia law and how Christians want to rule. True believers no matter what religion destroys reason.

Amen! I totally agree!

Oh, big shock. "You're right." "I totally agree with you!" If you two would like to excuse yourselves to go pump each other, the rest of us would be really grateful.

Oh man, that put all kinds of sick visions in my mind. darn you:biggrin:

June is Gay Pride Month. It is a time for parades and for festivals, for rainbow flags and for dance tents. It is a time to recognize the amazing progress that has been made on LGBT equality as we recommit ourselves to continuing the struggle until liberty and justice for all really means "all." Everywhere.

And this year it is not only about gearing up for Pride; it is about counting down to "Decision Day." It is about awaiting the Supreme Court rulings on the Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee marriage cases -- rulings due any day - that could finally make marriage equality a reality in all fifty states.

So here's the 2015 version of my Top Ten FAQs about God, Jesus, the Bible and LGBT People -- offered in hope that together we truly can be the change we want to see in the world and offered in rebuttal to the rabid rhetoric of the anti-gay religious right that infuses our public discourse and infects our political process. Those who use God, Jesus and the Bible as weapons of mass discrimination do not speak for me. And they do not speak for my church.

1. Is being gay a sin?
No. Sins are acts that separate us from God and keep us from loving our neighbors as ourselves. Being gay is not a sin. Bullying is a sin. Being hateful to other people is a sin. Putting yourself in the place of God to judge others is a sin. Being gay is not.

Much More (2 thru 10): God, Jesus and the Bible: FAQs for Gay Pride Month - Rev. Susan Russell

Why do homophobes waste so much time, energy and hate being afraid of LGBT folks and trying to legislate them into the shadows? Fear and superstition, I suppose. I don't get it.
I think your right Lakota, gay people are the minority and all the gay people I have known and worked with have been good people, they are good at their jobs they help people, and they leave people alone. Yet all I hear from the christians and the right is how they are destroying American values! Lol how is expressing yourself and the pursuit of happiness destroying American values? It does not hurt Christianity at all nor does it hurt heterosexual marriage, because heterosexual will still get married they will still have children and life will go on. Why they concern themselves with other people's private lives is beyond me? I think it is about control, they want to control everything, and instead of living their own lives they want to force people into believing how they do. I see little difference in sharia law and how Christians want to rule. True believers no matter what religion destroys reason.
The religious extremists/radicals want America to be like this:

wow, and you got a atta boy for that. Are you out of school for the summer?
or are you trying to out do lakooka and see how lowdown and nasty you can be?

You aren't honest, you are just one more hate filled child.

You are as dishonest as they come....you aren't educated, you have no empathy and you simply exude hatred.

That's why you run when you get cornered chief.

You live alone for obvious reasons and you get off on being hateful.

Your own Tribe would have nothing to d with you and we both know it ;)

Is that an admission that most people view religion as a hedge bet?

Probably. But you have to ask yourself, is it worth being wrong for?

Post above I told each and everyone here - I have done terrible things in my life. I have also done some good things. When I die (which will probably be sooner, rather than later) I have made piece with my God and have been saved through the blood. If Jesus Christ can forgive ME - he can forgive anyone.

If that's a hedge bet - then so be it. I'm playing with House money now.

Yeah but if God is all knowing, he'll know whether or not your belief was sincere,

or just a cynical purchase of what you consider an insurance policy.

Personally I know I'm doomed if sincere genuine belief is the ticket.

Ya think!?!?!

He has NO idea of the truth that that post contained, he was just being a smartass. ;)

Understood. The beauty of Christ? It's the individual's choice. No one makes you do anything. Accept it or don't. It's a gift. You can take it, and pass it on, or you can "hide it under a bush".

Faith is a gift. It's the gift of the ability for an otherwise rational mind to irrationally believe the unbleie
Is that an admission that most people view religion as a hedge bet?

Probably. But you have to ask yourself, is it worth being wrong for?

Post above I told each and everyone here - I have done terrible things in my life. I have also done some good things. When I die (which will probably be sooner, rather than later) I have made piece with my God and have been saved through the blood. If Jesus Christ can forgive ME - he can forgive anyone.

If that's a hedge bet - then so be it. I'm playing with House money now.

Yeah but if God is all knowing, he'll know whether or not your belief was sincere,

or just a cynical purchase of what you consider an insurance policy.

Personally I know I'm doomed if sincere genuine belief is the ticket.

Ya think!?!?!

Do you think the Apostle Thomas went to hell for having not believed until, according to the Gospels, Jesus gave him proof of his resurrection?

Don't know. Wasn't there. Point being, the Apostles were the "chosen". It was their job to establish the Church. 2,000 years later, it is going strong. Not bad for a bunch of "rabble", don't you think? Almost like there was some sort of "Divine intervention".......

lol, my heathenism explaining the Bible to believers. How ironic.

Thomas doubted Jesus's divinity. He only believed after Jesus proved to him, at least according to the story, that he had indeed been resurrected.

Therefore, was Thomas wrong to doubt without proof?

1. Is being gay a sin?

What exactly do you think is going to happen here? Do you think you're going to tell Christians that what they've believed for centuries is wrong, unveil your personal "I'm so much more fucking clever than EVERYONE" view of what they SHOULD believe, and they're just going to go, "Oh, gosh, no one's EVER said that before. What were we thinking? All hail Pope Lakhota for showing us the error of our ways"?

Why don't you just accept that Christianity teaches what it teaches, you don't agree, and NO ONE FRIGGING CARES IF YOU DO OR NOT?

It's like you self-important hypocrites always say about abortion: if you don't like it, don't do it. But don't try to impose your beliefs on others.

Fine, then stay the fuck out of my political life and stop trying to influence how others live!
You started the thread, you dumbfuck.

That's my point, all the gay stuff is in the same books.

Homosexuality is condemned in the New Testament also. You won't win this one, best run along. Also the ban on eating pork was directed at the Jews,never the Gentiles
Chapter & verse, please.

Already posted it, scroll up
Bullshit

No it's not bullshit, one of your fellow cronies asked and I posted it, he ate crow, salt and pepper for yours also? :)
I posted links to 6 or 7 verses, both new and old testaments as well.
I have to think that if you were the least bit intellectually honest, you would retract your "bullshit".

1. Is being gay a sin?

Bible says you will be judged how you judge others so the same way you think gays are going to burn in hell for what they do your sins are going to send you to hell because you can't honestly say you're perfect you probably jack off thinking about your brother is a wife or your bosses sister for some young little thing down the street those your sins you know that right you're committing adultery even if you just think about it. so if you weren't so judgemental maybe you'd be able to jack off and have not have God punish you for it burn in hell idiot. Lol

1. Is being gay a sin?

Lakhota, why are you even bothering to bring this up? i read about two pages of this thread and I can tell you the following without even reading the rest:

- There has not been a single argument brought up by either side that hasn't been brought up before and beaten to death on USMB.

- No matter what one side throws at the other, not a single person will change their mind as a result of the debate. Even if you throw a smoking bazooka of proof in front of their faces, they simply will not budge and neither will you.

So why bother? Are you just starting shit to start shit?

Anyone else think it odd that he starts a post about what the Bible says and doesn't even quote it once? Heck he didn't paraphrase it.

Have you ever read the Bible Lakhota?

Men wrote the Bible. Men wrote the Constitution. Therefore, the Constitution trumps the Bible.

Why?

Seriously. If men wrote both how can you conclude one trumps the other? And what do you mean by trump anyway?

Do your arguments sound logical to you? They really aren't.

Love the sinner, hate the sin is how it goes. Like I said before, my neighbor had a lesbian couple living next to him. We invited them over to drink beer in the back yard. Had great times, but they knew I didn't agree with their lifestyle, but I never treated them badly.
You didn't treat them badly but you would still deny them a right you have. That's treating all of them badly.
I was all for civil unions dipshit. They would've had all the rights that a married couple have. Now that marriage has been redefined, it means absolutely nothing. Soon you will call me a hater because I don't think someone should marry their dog.
Strawman fail, animals are not entitled to civil rights and equal protection.
The person that wants to marry the animal will want their civil rights, and the way you do as you are told, you will support it.
Animals, children, tress, car exhaust systems cannot grant consent, so, they cannot be married. Now you know.

As for what some moron might want, we don't honestly give a fuck in this case.
They will.

Forum List

Back