What Happened to Chicago’s Murder Rate After Illinois Upheld Concealed Carry

The first three months there was a decline because it was too cold to go out.

And that's it.

Summers coming. Make no mistake.

Lol, when law makers consider allowing concealed carry, the libtard gun grabbing fascist scream 'IT WILL BE THE WILD WEST IN OUR STREETS!'

Then when crime actually goes down, it was not the legalizing of concealed carry it was the dropping birth rates, the better educational levels, or the weather, lol.

You ass hats are so fucking stupid it defies the bounds of language.

Um......I live in the Chicago area. I have been in this area for over a decade. It's pretty much when this crap gets started: summer. It's no big secret that crime dropped. It's been several years since we have had to deal with weeks of never ending below zero temperatures-you fucking whackjob. I'm actually pro gun rights. But, you weren't smart enough to ask.

And you are a stupid fucktard if you think that professional criminals are too soft to go out in cold weather, ass hat.

Lol, when law makers consider allowing concealed carry, the libtard gun grabbing fascist scream 'IT WILL BE THE WILD WEST IN OUR STREETS!'

Then when crime actually goes down, it was not the legalizing of concealed carry it was the dropping birth rates, the better educational levels, or the weather, lol.

You ass hats are so fucking stupid it defies the bounds of language.

Um......I live in the Chicago area. I have been in this area for over a decade. It's pretty much when this crap gets started: summer. It's no big secret that crime dropped. It's been several years since we have had to deal with weeks of never ending below zero temperatures-you fucking whackjob. I'm actually pro gun rights. But, you weren't smart enough to ask.

And you are a stupid fucktard if you think that professional criminals are too soft to go out in cold weather, ass hat.

Umm, they are too soft to go out in the cold. Notice how the highest quarters each year are during the warmer months and the lowest numbers are during the colder month. Also notice the highest Jan-March total was during 2012 when Chicago had the 2nd warmest winter in 80 years.

Year J-M A-J J-S O-D
2007 081 118 144 100
2008 089 148 172 118
2009 071 133 149 110
2010 077 152 133 094
2011 075 116 135 125
2012 122 141 152 106
2013 075 114 147 099
2014 069

Last edited:
so how many times have you been shot at in your life? and why would little brother shoot you when you are feeding him entitlements? are you saying he is ungrateful?

Never been shot at but did have a guy pull a knife on me in a bar fight in Buffalo

...and you pissed your pants.

And to think I didn't even have a concealed firearm to kill him with

I talked him out of it and calmed him down

Has nothing to do with concealed carry and everything to do with the shitty weather. If most of the murders in Chicago were innocents getting murdered, the OP might have a point but most of the murders here are gangbanger on gangbanger.

Concealed carry will have a very limited effect on murders in Chicago but could have a greater effect on burglary and robbery.

I don't particularly care so much about banger-on-banger crime. Those guys know what they are getting into, but bust them and jail them as occasion permits, fine.

The drop in murder rate was a small percentage of the entire picture and I highly doubt that it was all one category or another affected. It likely saw a reduction across the board as bangers don't feel so free to just shoot people when they other guy might not be so harmless.

We had a murder of a black guy in Maryland who was not in a gang, but some black bangers killed him for looking at them wrong. He was unarmed in that fascist state, but you don't read of such things in Virginia because in VA that civilian might be able to shoot back.

So I disagree with your premise, and if it is all due to bad weather, then why isn't the murder rate down across the Midwest and NE states as well who also had shitty weather this winter? That change didn't happen, or at least was so not noteworthy it got little media coverage. Nothing coming up on repeated Google attempts.

You have no evidence to support the 'cold weather did it assertion.' just supposition based on your anti-gun bias.

Has nothing to do with concealed carry and everything to do with the shitty weather. If most of the murders in Chicago were innocents getting murdered, the OP might have a point but most of the murders here are gangbanger on gangbanger.

Concealed carry will have a very limited effect on murders in Chicago but could have a greater effect on burglary and robbery.

I don't particularly care so much about banger-on-banger crime. Those guys know what they are getting into, but bust them and jail them as occasion permits, fine.

The drop in murder rate was a small percentage of the entire picture and I highly doubt that it was all one category or another affected. It likely saw a reduction across the board as bangers don't feel so free to just shoot people when they other guy might not be so harmless.

We had a murder of a black guy in Maryland who was not in a gang, but some black bangers killed him for looking at them wrong. He was unarmed in that fascist state, but you don't read of such things in Virginia because in VA that civilian might be able to shoot back.

So I disagree with your premise, and if it is all due to bad weather, then why isn't the murder rate down across the Midwest and NE states as well who also had shitty weather this winter? That change didn't happen, or at least was so not noteworthy it got little media coverage. Nothing coming up on repeated Google attempts.

You have no evidence to support the 'cold weather did it assertion.' just supposition based on your anti-gun bias.

See post 64, this happens EVERY year in Chicago.

Never been shot at but did have a guy pull a knife on me in a bar fight in Buffalo

Yeah, you are all talk, RW. Went with your strength, that was smart.

But that was a silly bar fight, not a situation where your life was at stake.

The dude obviously didn't have you on your back on the ground beating your head in.

This is why you libtards just cant imagine letting people walk around with guns; you think we all would react like you would were you armed.

Yes, I am sure all these things happens every year in Chitcago just like every other city.

It is the frequency of occurrence we are discussing.

Yes, I am sure all these things happens every year in Chicago just like every other city.

Yes, and the frequency of occurrence of murders in Chicago go down in the cold weather months and go up in the warm weather months. You don't know what you are talking about and should have never created this thread, it just makes you look uninformed.

The dude obviously didn't have you on your back on the ground beating your head in.

This is why you libtards just cant imagine letting people walk around with guns; you think we all would react like you would were you armed.
if it is so easy to talk these killers down why do we still have so many murders? A concealed carry would be much more effectetive at talking the guy with the knife down. it would also make him think twice about pullin the knife

Umm, they are too soft to go out in the cold. Notice how the highest quarters each year are during the warmer months and the lowest numbers are during the colder month. Also notice the highest Jan-March total was during 2012 when Chicago had the 2nd warmest winter in 80 years.

Year J-M A-J J-S O-D
2007 081 118 144 100
2008 089 148 172 118
2009 071 133 149 110
2010 077 152 133 094
2011 075 116 135 125
2012 122 141 152 106
2013 075 114 147 099
2014 069

Lol, they are not too soft to go out in the cold, dude, put your thinking cap on.

Their prey are less out in the cold for obvious reasons. People out in cold weather make quicker trips to get back to the warmth. Less opportunity and so less crime, and with less crime, less killing when things go wrong.

But look at the year-over-year comparisons. This year was the lowest three month period of all. And while the murder rate will go up this summer, no doubt, it will still be lower than previous summer periods.

Criminals fear armed civilians far more than they fear getting arrested by cops; so you cant imagine how that might impact their behavior?

lol

if it is so easy to talk these killers down why do we still have so many murders? A concealed carry would be much more effectetive at talking the guy with the knife down. it would also make him think twice about pullin the knife

Yeah, talking a guy down can easily work in stopping a bar fight, but only a fool thinks he has better odds trying to talk down some ass hat who is about to KILL them for nothing rather than pulling his own gun instead.

Or pulling a gun could escallate a tense situation into a gunfight

Yes, I am sure all these things happens every year in Chicago just like every other city.

Yes, and the frequency of occurrence of murders in Chicago go down in the cold weather months and go up in the warm weather months. You don't know what you are talking about and should have never created this thread, it just makes you look uninformed.

yet they are lower for the month and ytd compared to previous years. I think i read murders were down 25% and shootings down 38%. no restrictive gun laws have ever come even close to those kind of numbers

Year J-M A-J J-S O-D
2007 081 118 144 100
2008 089 148 172 118
2009 071 133 149 110
2010 077 152 133 094
2011 075 116 135 125
2012 122 141 152 106
2013 075 114 147 099
2014 069

Lol, they are not too soft to go out in the cold, dude, put your thinking cap on.

Their prey are less out in the cold for obvious reasons. People out in cold weather make quicker trips to get back to the warmth. Less opportunity and so less crime, and with less crime, less killing when things go wrong.

But look at the year-over-year comparisons. This year was the lowest three month period of all. And while the murder rate will go up this summer, no doubt, it will still be lower than previous summer periods.

Criminals fear armed civilians far more than they fear getting arrested by cops; so you cant imagine how that might impact their behavior?

lol

Again, a vast majority of murder in Chicago is gang related. There aren't people running around robbing and killing innocents, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Sure, look year over year and you see that we had 71 murders in 2008 in the first three months compared to 69 this year. A huge gap of 2, during the coldest winter in Chicago since they started recording temps.

Criminals in Chicago aren't going after civilians, they are going after other armed criminals. As I said before, you might see a drop in robberies or burglaries but concealed carry will have no effect on Chicago's murder rate.

yet they are lower for the month and ytd compared to previous years. I think i read murders were down 25% and shootings down 38%. no restrictive gun laws have ever come even close to those kind of numbers

Murders aren't down anywhere close to 25% YTD and they have been on a steady decline over the last 20+ years without concealed carry. I don't attribute any of the decreases to laws restricting guns or concealed carry.

1st Q of 2013: 75
1st Q of 2014: 69

Chicago Murders by Year
1991: 927
1992: 943
1993: 855
1994: 931
1995: 828
1996: 796
1997: 761
1998: 704
1999: 643
2000: 633
2001: 667
2002: 656
2003: 601
2004: 453
2005: 451
2006: 471
2007: 448
2008: 513
2009: 459
2010: 436
2011: 435
2012: 516
2013: 415

Jan-Mar were brutal weather wise in Chicago. This needs more time.
Get back to us at the end of the year. Please and thank you. :thup:

Yeah, it's never been brutally cold in Chicago before, so we'd better wait...maybe there'll be some government supported mass shootings to get that rate back up there.

Murders aren't down anywhere close to 25% YTD and they have been on a steady decline over the last 20+ years without concealed carry. I don't attribute any of the decreases to laws restricting guns or concealed carry.

1st Q of 2013: 75
1st Q of 2014: 69

Chicago Murders by Year
1991: 927
1992: 943
1993: 855
1994: 931
1995: 828
1996: 796
1997: 761
1998: 704
1999: 643
2000: 633
2001: 667
2002: 656
2003: 601
2004: 453
2005: 451
2006: 471
2007: 448
2008: 513
2009: 459
2010: 436
2011: 435
2012: 516
2013: 415

according to the Chicago PD they are. and what really matters is how much they have dropped now that concealled carry is allowed. any previous data prior is irrelevant to this discussion.

Police: 20 murders in February, fourth lowest total on record | Homicide Watch Chicago | Mark every death. Remember every victim. Follow every case.

Through the first two months of 2014, murders are down 25 percent and shootings are down 38 percent compared to the same time last year.

Forum List

Back