What if there had been no slaves in America?

Nobody claims they built all of America
But you can't claim that four million slaves in a ten million population in the south was not significant
The southern economy was built on cotton. Slaves planted it, maintained it, picked it, bundled it,transported it, ginned it
I'm definitely not denying that. They contributed to an economic boon, but they didn't build anything. That would require skilled training that slaves never received.

I wouldn't go that far
There were slave craftsmen and carpenters that did construction. Slaves built the railroads in the south. There were slave blacksmiths

The economic boom in the south was built on the backs of slave labor of which they received nothing
Building railroads doesn't require skilled craftsmen. It was all about hard labor.

Building railroads took tons of skilled craftsman- blacksmiths, carpenters, bricklayers, tinsmiths- there is a whole logistics train that goes with building a railroad.

You needed people who could build bridges, build up the structures to support the construction, build the wheels for the wagons, build the wagons, build and repair the tools.
The men who laid the tracks were low skilled workers who had ZERO experience when they were hired. Anyone could do that job.

And? Even if that is true- I have already refuted your claim that building railroads doesn't require skilled craftsmen.

I'm definitely not denying that. They contributed to an economic boon, but they didn't build anything. That would require skilled training that slaves never received.

I wouldn't go that far
There were slave craftsmen and carpenters that did construction. Slaves built the railroads in the south. There were slave blacksmiths

The economic boom in the south was built on the backs of slave labor of which they received nothing
Building railroads doesn't require skilled craftsmen. It was all about hard labor.

Building railroads took tons of skilled craftsman- blacksmiths, carpenters, bricklayers, tinsmiths- there is a whole logistics train that goes with building a railroad.

You needed people who could build bridges, build up the structures to support the construction, build the wheels for the wagons, build the wagons, build and repair the tools.
The men who laid the tracks were low skilled workers who had ZERO experience when they were hired. Anyone could do that job.

And? Even if that is true- I have already refuted your claim that building railroads doesn't require skilled craftsmen.
I said the SLAVES werent skilled craftsmen. Laying down railroad tracks requires no skill, just strength and cardio.

Building bridges was always a white guys job. Feel free to prove me wrong by posting a link to any railroad bridge designed and built by a slave. If you can't do that, you've lost this debate.

I wouldn't go that far

I said the SLAVES werent skilled craftsmen. Laying down railroad tracks requires no skill, just strength and cardio.

Building bridges was always a white guys job. Feel free to prove me wrong by posting a link to any railroad bridge designed and built by a slave. If you can't do that, you've lost this debate.
Slaves were 40 percent of the workforce in the south
I doubt many bridges went up without slave labor

I wouldn't go that far

Godboy 1)

Slaves werent builders. They had no skills on that level. They were laborers at best and there were very few slaves around anyway.
Godboy 2)

Godboy 3)

Godboy 4)

LOL- so far I have proven you wrong specifically- and you have not provided a thin dime worth of facts to support your claims.

I already posted twice documents which showed that African American slaves included skilled craftsmen- including blacksmiths, bricklayers, guns-smiths, tinsmiths, cartwrights- and of course you ignored those facts- so now you want me to prove that these same skilled workers were involved with building the railroads in the South?

Did U.S. Railroads Own Slaves–How Many? | William G. Thomas III

A careful examination of railroad annual reports from the South begins to reveal the scale and diversity of the experience. Most of the slave labor on southern railroads was hired or rented from local slaveholders to grade the tracks. Enslaved women and children were also forced to work on the railroads, running wheelbarrows, moving dirt, cooking, picking up stones, and shoveling. Some skilled slaves, especially blacksmiths, were hired as well on these construction crews.

NA, LS 10-31L-62
Here is a related account- of payments for the services of
For Services of Slave laborers repairing C. S. Locomotives & Cars during the month of October/62

Here is a list of slaves working on the rairoads- including carpenters, painters, and bridge workers.
Virginia & Tennessee Railroad Employees

Been Workin' on the Railroad

Ballton’s experience on the railroad was not unusual. Slavery is often thought of as a primarily agricultural phenomenon, but thousands of enslaved blacks worked on the railroads right up to and during the Civil War, grading lines, building bridges and blasting tunnels. They hauled timber, cut wood and shoveled dirt and stone. Skilled slaves, especially blacksmiths, stone masons and carpenters, worked on the railroads too.

Here is my favorite......boooyaaah
America's Covered Bridges

upload_2017-9-8_15-25-26.png

built on the backs of free enslaved labor, gave the country the resources to run the whole "Manifest Destiny" gig, which in turn provided more resources.
You are historically illiterate. The reason the south was so backward and undeveloped was because of slavery. Slavery was an economic sinkhole. Much of the opposition to the Civil War, in both the north and the south, was the widespread feeling that slavery would die out on it's own because it was so non-productive. Read Alexis de Tocqueville's account of floating down the Ohio River in 1826 with slave Kentucky on one bank, and on the right bank, free Ohio. He says on the right it is a hive of industry and commercial activity, on the left, the torpor of untouched nature.

Resentful Jews have spent decades defaming the people who built this country because they hate accomplishment by Christians.

:rofl: Jewhater says what?

The South wasn't at all "backward and undeveloped" before the Civil War. It was where the money was as well as the best crop land. And its cotton especially fueled the national economy via vibrant international commerce.

I don't need no edumacation here Adolf. You do. Your blind bigot paranoia has all the consistency of a bagel shmear.

Would blacks still claim to be oppressed? Would we have race baiters?
If there had been no slaves in America, there would be no America because when Europeans wanted to build the country they did not have the labor force to do it and went to the continent of Africa to exploit them and enslave them to build America for them and their profit.

Whites didn't go into Africa to enslave them. African tribes fought each other and captured defeated tribes and made them slaves. They then sold those slaves, mainly to the Spanish.

Correct.

Instead, whites went to take their resources and slaughter millions.

Interesting "what if"...I expect America would have grown at a slower pace and if we are talking the kidnapping of blacks from Africa.....Africa would have stayed a stronger place and probably would have been able to drive off any colonization attempts by Europeans.

The OP never did answer my question about what he means by "America".

The vast majority of African slaves went to Brazil and the Caribbean. If he's suggesting what if the US hadn't had slaves but Brazil and the West Indies and Central America did, then that sets up one kind of economic contrast. Plus there are vast parts of what is now the US that used to be Spanish or French territory. Would they have had their slavery going on, and then been forced to cease once they became part of the US?

Or is he asking what if African slaves had never been brought to ANY part of America? Because that opens up an entirely different scenario.

I'm starting to wonder if the OP (and a few others) are aware that African slavery was far more widespread than just this country. You can't really separate one out of the whole and ask a workable question.

built on the backs of free enslaved labor, gave the country the resources to run the whole "Manifest Destiny" gig, which in turn provided more resources.
You are historically illiterate. The reason the south was so backward and undeveloped was because of slavery. Slavery was an economic sinkhole. Much of the opposition to the Civil War, in both the north and the south, was the widespread feeling that slavery would die out on it's own because it was so non-productive. Read Alexis de Tocqueville's account of floating down the Ohio River in 1826 with slave Kentucky on one bank, and on the right bank, free Ohio. He says on the right it is a hive of industry and commercial activity, on the left, the torpor of untouched nature.

Resentful Jews have spent decades defaming the people who built this country because they hate accomplishment by Christians.

The South wasn't at all "backward and undeveloped" before the Civil War. It was where the money was as well as the best crop land. And its cotton especially fueled the national economy via vibrant international commerce.

I don't need no edumacation here Adolf. You do. Your blind bigot paranoia has all the consistency of a bagel shmear.

No, he is correct.

I mean, apart from his anti-Semitism.

Slavery stunted the South's growth and development. It discouraged education and urbanization, both of which were necessary for manufacturing. Only after Desegregation did manufacturing really take off in the South.

Oh bullshit. Slavery has existed, and sprang up independently, on every continent with the exception of Antarctica. To try to sell us "Africa invented slavery" is completely ludicrous.

And further, slavery is now illegal everywhere. Including Africa.
You are wrong on all points and anyone who is interested in the truth need only perform a basic Google search.

Slavery is to Africa what spaghetti and meatballs is to Italy -- and it continues there to this day, mainly in Sudan.
Is it legal there?
I don't know. But based on what I've read it is openly practiced and is not at all uncommon.

And what I said back there -------------- and it's still sitting right there in the quote nest ----------- is that it doesn't happen anywhere legally. SO YOU'RE WRONG.

Again ------------------ reading comprehension.

If there had been no slaves in America, there would be no America because when Europeans wanted to build the country they did not have the labor force to do it and went to the continent of Africa to exploit them and enslave them to build America for them and their profit.

Nonsense. Of course, there would still be America.
How? Who would have built it? The native Americans were killed by the invaders and the Europeans couldn't spare the manpower. The land would still exist but it would look entirely different.

So slaves did everything, you do know that all whites didn't have slaves, only the ones that could afford one had them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, he is correct.

Slavery stunted the South's growth and development. It discouraged education and urbanization, both of which were necessary for manufacturing. Only after Desegregation did manufacturing really take off in the South.

Nobody brought up "urbanization", nor is that a legitimate measure of "backward" or "forward". Nor is "industrialization".

Industrialization hadn't even started in the eighteenth century. That was the direction the North was going, because the best farmland, for crops as well as cotton, was in the South. We were an agrarian society then, and that put the wealth -- in the South. It wasn't trying to have manufacturing "take off". That isn't the point in an agrarian economy.

Also not aware of any "discouragement of education". Got any examples?

Yes, unskilled slave labor.

Godboy 1)

Slaves werent builders. They had no skills on that level. They were laborers at best and there were very few slaves around anyway.
Godboy 2)

Godboy 3)

Godboy 4)

LOL- so far I have proven you wrong specifically- and you have not provided a thin dime worth of facts to support your claims.

I already posted twice documents which showed that African American slaves included skilled craftsmen- including blacksmiths, bricklayers, guns-smiths, tinsmiths, cartwrights- and of course you ignored those facts- so now you want me to prove that these same skilled workers were involved with building the railroads in the South?

A careful examination of railroad annual reports from the South begins to reveal the scale and diversity of the experience. Most of the slave labor on southern railroads was hired or rented from local slaveholders to grade the tracks. Enslaved women and children were also forced to work on the railroads, running wheelbarrows, moving dirt, cooking, picking up stones, and shoveling. Some skilled slaves, especially blacksmiths, were hired as well on these construction crews.

NA, LS 10-31L-62
For Services of Slave laborers repairing C. S. Locomotives & Cars during the month of October/62

Here is a list of slaves working on the rairoads- including carpenters, painters, and bridge workers.

Ballton’s experience on the railroad was not unusual. Slavery is often thought of as a primarily agricultural phenomenon, but thousands of enslaved blacks worked on the railroads right up to and during the Civil War, grading lines, building bridges and blasting tunnels. They hauled timber, cut wood and shoveled dirt and stone. Skilled slaves, especially blacksmiths, stone masons and carpenters, worked on the railroads too.

View attachment 148240
So "SOME slave blacksmiths" built America? I promise you, for every 100 blacksmiths, there was maybe 1 black slave blacksmith, and even that is being generous.

Pointing out exceptions isn't going to help your case. I'm sure there were SOME slave writers as well, but you can hardly say that slaves were responsible for the great literature of that time period.

Godboy 1)

Godboy 2)

Godboy 3)

Godboy 4)

NA, LS 10-31L-62

View attachment 148240
So "SOME slave blacksmiths" built America? I promise you, for every 100 blacksmiths, there was 1 black slave blacksmith, and even that is being generous.

Pointing out exceptions isn't going to help your case. I'm sure there were SOME slave writers as well, but you can hardly say that slaves were responsible for the great literature of that time period.

LOL- pointing out the exceptions shows that your statements- and here i am glad to remind you of them- were false.

(this is one of my favorites- since both parts have been proven wrong- a) that 'they had no skills on that level- proven wrong. And that there were 'very few slaves around anyway'- again proven wrong.

Godboy 2)

(Again proven wrong- since I have shown the skilled craftsmen used for building railroads)

Godboy 4)

(And I have shown that some slaves were indeed skilled craftsmen- you are just wrong- and ignorant.- and determined to stay so)

upload_2017-9-8_15-25-26-png.148240

Godboy 1)

Godboy 2)

Godboy 3)

Godboy 4)

NA, LS 10-31L-62

View attachment 148240
So "SOME slave blacksmiths" built America? I promise you, for every 100 blacksmiths, there was 1 black slave blacksmith, and even that is being generous.

LOL- pointing out the exceptions shows that your statements- and here i am glad to remind you of them- were false.

(this is one of my favorites- since both parts have been proven wrong- a) that 'they had no skills on that level- proven wrong. And that there were 'very few slaves around anyway'- again proven wrong.

Godboy 2)

(Again proven wrong- since I have shown the skilled craftsmen used for building railroads)

Godboy 4)

(And I have shown that some slaves were indeed skilled craftsmen- you are just wrong- and ignorant.- and determined to stay so)
Um, let's settle down with this "blacksmithing is a super technical job" stuff. They weren't creating masterworks; they made nails, railroad spikes, shovels and other bullshit like that.

There are always exceptions. I'm not sure why you think you're making a good argument by pointing out the obvious. The exceptions didn't build America though.

No, he is correct.

Nobody brought up "urbanization", nor is that a legitimate measure of "backward" or "forward". Nor is "industrialization".

Industrialization hadn't even started in the eighteenth century. That was the direction the North was going, because the best farmland, for crops as well as cotton, was in the South. We were an agrarian society then, and that put the wealth -- in the South. It wasn't trying to have manufacturing "take off". That isn't the point in an agrarian economy.

Also not aware of any "discouragement of education". Got any examples?

Speaking of 'wealth'.......we haven't even mentioned that the slaves themselves represented a huge proportion of the 'wealth' of the South.

Even those who had moral qualms about being slave owners- like Thomas Jefferson- knew that a large part- if not the major part of his wealth- was the value of his slaves.

Paraphrasing Trent Lott. Excellent. :eusa_clap:
Trent Lott -- the guy in the KKK ?!

That was Robert Byrd.

i-s3Rqktv-M.jpg

No image shows up but whatever it was supposed to be has to be a photoshop since Byrd quit the Klan before he ever ran for office.

No I refer to Trent Lott's infamously candid line at Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday when he said "we (the state of Mississippi) voted for him! And if the rest of the country had followed our lead we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years either"

--- referring to 1948 when Thurmond started his own segregationist party and ran for President.

upload_2017-9-8_15-25-26-png.148240
Unless you have a few million of these stories, it won't support the argument that slaves built America.

Forum List

Back