What is a "Progressive"?

It's sadly obvious that Conservatives don't have any clue what a Progressive is, and of course Conservatives are too stupid to have it explained to them.

Progressives are the type of people who want to make more than certain that the reasons for invading a country are valid before the invasion. Pro-life Conservatives simply don't care who they kill.
Son? YOU have no CLUE of Conservatives...and probably NO life either...not to mention LACK of education...only indoctrination, NO mind of your own.

The Founding Fathers implemented the "great experiment" with We the People governing ourselves. There is no way you can spin that as anything but progressive.
A self-governing nation is a sovereign nation. Progressivism is democracy, which is a form of government that eighteenth century Americans did not want.
And WE the people ARE our OWN sovereigns. Progressives cannot tolerate that either. It demeans their POWER over us.
How would you want to excerise that 'power'?

NO...they were Realists. Progressives DO NOT believe in Individual Freedom. The PROGRESSIVE track record belies YOUR statement.

The Founding Fathers implemented the "great experiment" with We the People governing ourselves. There is no way you can spin that as anything but progressive.

Obamacare is governing ourselves?

Really?
Deriderp_Twerp is one of those that thinks the General Welfare Clause means government dole for everyone. The man is clueless as to history...much less the Founding.

A self-governing nation is a sovereign nation. Progressivism is democracy, which is a form of government that eighteenth century Americans did not want.
And WE the people ARE our OWN sovereigns. Progressives cannot tolerate that either. It demeans their POWER over us.
Bill of Rights gives YOU a clue, as do The Federalist papers...Give it a look-see and get back to me.

HOWEVER GOVERNMENT produces NOTHING...so without THE PRIVATE SECTOR...where would that endeavor BE?

*FAIL*

Government produced the vision, the incentive and the funding to put a man on the moon. If was left up to the private sector you would still be using a landline phone and the postal service.

Without Bell Telephone inventing the transistor, none of that would have been possible. Government had nothing to do with it, and that includes vision.

If Edison had not invented the light bulb, you would be watching TV by candlelight. No government involvement.

Somehow, we managed to develop into the industrial age with little, if any, help from government.

Now, some of you cannot take a crap without ensuring you have a government approved commode, and permission to do so.
So dead-on. Without the power of the people, their ideas, invention...TRUE progression of the Human spirit...the Government has nothing...and would BE...NOTHING.

On the last flight out of LAX to JFK tonight I watched 5 minutes of MSNBC and heard Ed Shultz and guests describe the "Progressive" solution to US energy (hint: they're against oil but love solar and wind and other things that just don't make economic sense) and I wondered:

What is a 'Progressive'?

What are the central ideas and beliefs that make someone a Progressive rather than a Liberal or a Democrat?

Liberals started calling themselves progressive because the term, "liberal" is no longer positive. They just like changing what things are called to make them sound better. It's the same reason that ACORN changed it's name to COI. I still refer to them using the old term since nothing has changed.

Maybe liberals are even trying to create the illusion that there is a third group that agrees with them. Who the hell knows? Progressive is also the name of George Soros' insurance company. How cute.

Liberals, Progressives if you will, drive history. We make the changes in our American society that are responsible for American progress.

Think about it. Each and every time we change for the better, it is due to Liberals and Liberal policy. Who provided the resistance to change? Conservatives. Did Conservatives rally in support of child labor laws? How about Civil Rights? The movement to save our ecology? Worker place safety issues? Worker's rights? Women's rights? Marriage equality? The end of Jim Crow and before that slavery? All these changes are part and parcel of Liberal ideology. No Conservative lifted as finger to make these necessary changes. In fact, they resisted these changes and made what should have been common sense reform into a struggle for fairness and equality.

Name the Conservative who ever did anything to further the aspirations of equal treatment under the law and egalitarianism.

Going to require some examples.
You are confusing classic liberalism( based on liberty and freedom of the individual) and modern day liberalism.
Liberalism of today is associated with big government, deficit spending, high taxes , welfare statism and central planning..
"For the common good".
Today's liberal eschews the notion that the individual is in charge of and should be trusted with his own destiny. Liberalism of today is collectivism. It labels people and places them into groups. Then pits those groups against one another in the interest of gaining and maintaining political power.
Liberals of today are elitists.
This was said of all Liberal/Progressive issues. 'Twas ever thus. FDR heard it and brought us Social Security along with a virtual alphabet soup of federal programs that gave work and hope to a desperate people. His uncle Theodore heard it and was first mocked as, then praised as a Trust Buster.

And yet our economy was saved from monopolistic control at the beginning of the 20th century and saved again from Capitalist panic in the first third of that century,

LBJ heard it just after the mid point of the 20th century and we got Medicare and Medicaid and Head Start.

Keep up the tradition of being blind to accomplishments and focusing on the well worn talking points. In the meantime, Liberals will be fighting the good fight and Conservatives will continue to be behind the curve of history.

Bill of Rights gives YOU a clue, as do The Federalist papers...Give it a look-see and get back to me.
But would you use that power to eliminate any of the changes opposed by Conservative since the late 1890s when the Progressive Era began? Which reforms are, in your opinion, expendable?

The opposite of "Regressive"?

:cool:

And I'm going to start an opposition party called the "righteous and fair" party. I'll give you two guesses what you people will then be called.

It's sadly obvious that Conservatives don't have any clue what a Progressive is, and of course Conservatives are too stupid to have it explained to them.

Progressives are the type of people who want to make more than certain that the reasons for invading a country are valid before the invasion. Pro-life Conservatives simply don't care who they kill.

Please explain it to us
Progressives are the reason that children are in school instead of having their hair caught in factory gears or dying in a mine collapse somewhere. Progressives are the reason why workers have a minimum wage because without it, we'd all have even less money. Progressives are the reason why black people are now considered "people". Progressives are the reason why we have public schools that don't teach retarded Bible classes. Progressives are the reason that slavery ended. Progressives are the reason why women can vote. And Progressives are the reason why Cannabis Sativa is going to be legalized again.

What are Conservatives trying to conserve? You spend trillions burning countries to the ground over lies, torturing POWs in secret prisons like Pol Pot, so you're not fiscal conservatives. You keep touting the Bible as somehow being the Law of the Land even though the First Amendment specifically says, "Fuck your God," so you're not the strict Constitutionalists that you claim to be. Conservatives spend billions every year trying to eradicate the same plant that preserved American freedom and democracy against the Axis. You want dirty smelly hippies put in cages over this plant, so you're not defenders of individual liberty like you claim. You hate Obama for arming Syrian rebels but you love Reagan for Iran-Contra, so you don't have any moral authority to complain about anything at all. You claim to be "pro-life" yet you continuously vote to cut public assistance funds for poor families. You hate Unions even though the United States of America itself is a UNION of states.

The plaque at the Statue of Liberty says, "Bring me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses...", so Conservatives want to build a wall around our country to keep everyone out. Conservatives just don't have a clue as to what America is all about.

We the People are always seeking Progress. Conservatives try to stifle Progress by holding society back.

A "progressive" is a liberal that is ashamed to be called "liberal" - it is a disguise (originally) intended to make someone believe that they were something that they weren't - a ruse intended to "slide in" without giving away their intentions.

Back in the 60s and 70s - the term "liberal" became a hated word. These "liberals" changed their names to "hopefully" scam the American people. After all - who WOULDN'T want to be "progressive"?? It took about a week for America to realize that these were the same communist loving "intellectuals" and told them to bugger off.

Liberals, progressives, marxists, communists, et al - all the same.

Basically, gutter trash, limp-wristed clowns that hate America.

I am a liberal and proud of it. You can call us all of the names that you want, it only shows your weakness.

It's rule # 5 in the salunsky rules for radicals , I like rules 5 & 6...

saul-alinsky-obama-lucifer.png

...:disbelief:

Last edited:
It's scary isn't it?

Holding us to a standard of the way 18th century America viewed the world

Well, not in all cases. The 2nd A. referenced arms, and a firearm in the 18th C. was a single shot weapon capable of (maybe) three round per minute. So one might presume that gun huggers are closet progressives, capable of seeing some phrases in the Constitution as they want to, and others as they presume the authors (all in agreement, of course) wrote and each phrase was tightly constructed and with a clear non ambiguous meaning.

The 2nd A. referenced arms, and a firearm in the 18th C. was a single shot weapon capable of (maybe) three round per minute.

the Girandoni was able to shoot 40 rounds a minute

And who might have been able to afford that weapon?

HOWEVER GOVERNMENT produces NOTHING...so without THE PRIVATE SECTOR...where would that endeavor BE?

*FAIL*

Government produced the vision, the incentive and the funding to put a man on the moon. If was left up to the private sector you would still be using a landline phone and the postal service.

Without Bell Telephone inventing the transistor, none of that would have been possible. Government had nothing to do with it, and that includes vision.

If Edison had not invented the light bulb, you would be watching TV by candlelight. No government involvement.

Somehow, we managed to develop into the industrial age with little, if any, help from government.

Now, some of you cannot take a crap without ensuring you have a government approved commode, and permission to do so.
Where were you taught this particular lie, or are you making this up as you go?

How was this continent spanned by railroad had it not been by the help from government? How was foreign trade regulated and protected if not by the help go government? How were rivers made navigable, communications develop from pony express to nation-wide telegraph to satellite had government not helped.

Your grasp of American history is tenuous at best. Did you take your studies over seas, or from Sears and Roebuck?

Where were you taught this particular lie, or are you making this up as you go?

How was this continent spanned by railroad had it not been by the help from government? How was foreign trade regulated and protected if not by the help go government? How were rivers made navigable, communications develop from pony express to nation-wide telegraph to satellite had government not helped.

Your grasp of American history is tenuous at best. Did you take your studies over seas, or from Sears and Roebuck?

You dont refute a single example and call it a lie. Congratulations!
You are confusing gov't setting ground rules with gov't actually doing the work in all the cases you cite. Ultimately private money built railroads, airlines, telegraph and other infrastructure in America. The fact that people got paid in US dollars or signed contracts enforceable in US courts doesn't negate that.

Liberals, Progressives if you will, drive history. We make the changes in our American society that are responsible for American progress.

Think about it. Each and every time we change for the better, it is due to Liberals and Liberal policy. Who provided the resistance to change? Conservatives. Did Conservatives rally in support of child labor laws? How about Civil Rights? The movement to save our ecology? Worker place safety issues? Worker's rights? Women's rights? Marriage equality? The end of Jim Crow and before that slavery? All these changes are part and parcel of Liberal ideology. No Conservative lifted as finger to make these necessary changes. In fact, they resisted these changes and made what should have been common sense reform into a struggle for fairness and equality.

Name the Conservative who ever did anything to further the aspirations of equal treatment under the law and egalitarianism.

Going to require some examples.
You are confusing classic liberalism( based on liberty and freedom of the individual) and modern day liberalism.
Liberalism of today is associated with big government, deficit spending, high taxes , welfare statism and central planning..
"For the common good".
Today's liberal eschews the notion that the individual is in charge of and should be trusted with his own destiny. Liberalism of today is collectivism. It labels people and places them into groups. Then pits those groups against one another in the interest of gaining and maintaining political power.
Liberals of today are elitists.
This was said of all Liberal/Progressive issues. 'Twas ever thus. FDR heard it and brought us Social Security along with a virtual alphabet soup of federal programs that gave work and hope to a desperate people. His uncle Theodore heard it and was first mocked as, then praised as a Trust Buster.

And yet our economy was saved from monopolistic control at the beginning of the 20th century and saved again from Capitalist panic in the first third of that century.

LBJ heard it just after the mid point of the 20th century and we got Medicare and Medicaid and Head Start.

Keep up the tradition of being blind to accomplishments and focusing on the well worn talking points. In the meantime, Liberals will be fighting the good fight and Conservatives will continue to be behind the curve of history.

Is that a fact? I (once again) ask you liberal pukes to read or re-read the "Grapes Of Wrath" John Steinbeck.

Nearly 50 years after Steinbeck wrote his novel, LBJ introduced the "Great Society" to rid the United States of "poverty"
There are just as many "poor" people in this country now, as there were when LBJ started this nonsense - some 50 years ago. And there are just as many now as there was 100 years ago and 150 years ago. Get the idea of how the cycle works yet skippy?

Social Security is not an ENTITLEMENT. It is a contract between the workers of the United States and the Federal Government. I receive Social Security. Taxes were taken from my 50 years of working (against my will) to pay for my "social Security" in my "old age". Only they (the taxes) weren't for "me". Oh no. They were for those that came before me. Now, I have to depend on people working 15-20 hours a week to pay MY Social Security. What a deal.

The United States government entered into a contract with me - one that I never agreed to - and now, every month, they meet their end of the contractual obligation just as I did when I unwillingly allowed them to take taxes from me.

And supposedly YOU are paying for my retirement. Pretty good shell game, isn't it. Typical liberal tactic. You see, GOVERNMENT NEVER "SOLVES" ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY SUFFERING - IT MERELY PROLONGS IT FROM ONE GENERATION TO THE NEXT.

Last edited:
On the last flight out of LAX to JFK tonight I watched 5 minutes of MSNBC and heard Ed Shultz and guests describe the "Progressive" solution to US energy (hint: they're against oil but love solar and wind and other things that just don't make economic sense) and I wondered:

What is a 'Progressive'?

What are the central ideas and beliefs that make someone a Progressive rather than a Liberal or a Democrat?

Apparently you weren't paying very close attention because Ed is for the Keystone pipeline. Why? It would lessen the load on trains, which have been exploding and crashing all over North America as of late.

Best example of a Progressive politician today is Bernie Sanders.

Google the Progressive Caucus Budget and you'll see what progressives want. They want a millionaires and billionaires tax; they want less welfare spending on corporations that don't need our money; they want to bring back defense spending to 2002/03 levels; they want Gitmo closed; they want universal single-payer healthcare; they want a reasonable pathway to citizenship for the children of illegal immigrants; they want investments in solar and wind and other renewable energy sources, which are good economic sense since it would create American jobs; they want to increase the minimum wage to a high enough level so that we the taxpayers don't have to subsidize the millions of workers of McDonald's, WalMart, Target, Subway and the rest of 'em, whose full-time workforce doesn't make enough to pay for their own healthcare.

The Progressive Caucus Budget would have gotten us back into surpluses this year had we passed it 5 years ago.

It reduces spending in many areas; increases investments in things that create millions of American jobs in infrastructure, research, and development; and increases taxes very modestly on income over $1 million and $1 billion.

But no, we haven't cut defense; Gitmo is still open; healthcare premiums will always rise as long as we put our faith in private enterprise (which cares more about taking your money than delivering a needed service); and our deficit is cut by more than half today instead of all the way, which is what Obama wanted.

All the oil jobs will end when there is no more oil. Wind and solar jobs and other renewables would never end and they could never be outsourced either.

A Progressive American citizen today is one who cares more about taking care of America than taking care of corporations, creating American jobs instead of Chinese ones, and getting the books balanced again.

Sounds alright to me.

Forum List

Back