What is Meant by "Well Regulated"?

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

What is your definition of a "well regulated Militia"?

Last edited:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It's the common definition at the time it was written that mattered and in the 18th century well regulated meant in proper working order not government controlled

Doesn’t matter. We use the definition that they provided. Do you know what it was?

A potential pool of armed men and women capable of acting effectively as a unit.
I'd differ only in that the burden to be "well regulated" or competent, is assumed to be on the individual. IMO, all adult Americans should understand how to care for and safely use firearms.
A pool of that type could then easily be trained to work as a team.

It's the common definition at the time it was written that mattered and in the 18th century well regulated meant in proper working order not government controlled
Right. Back then it was just assumed that men WOULD own and use firearms and that as free men they had a duty to be proficient so they could be depended on in defense of their freedom.

The states were fighting amongst themselves. Now we have the NG, the military wing to protect us.
Which states? 2A was written nearly 100 years prior to the Civil War. You've described the one belief by Leftists that assures me that they'll never succeed in disarming America. Anytime I hear extremists on the Left who are talking trash about taking guns from their neighbors (think nutjob "Beto") I remind myself that with that crowd it is simply understood when they say "we" they mean better men and women than themselves will do it for them. It never occurs to them that our military, whether federal or guard and reserve, can't necessarily be counted on to violate our Constitution.

The same can be said of cops in the vast part of flyover America. They simply will refuse the order and if a fight comes (AND IT WILL) they will likely join their neighbors. Those who refuse to support the Constitution are no longer protected by the badge. They'd better be good with the tools of oppression. Those tools will be all they have. They and their families will be hated by the rest of their communities.

How is a militia in proper working order?

Well trained, command structure, well equipped, you know who is in it

All militias have been under government control either state or local

Which states? 2A was written nearly 100 years prior to the Civil War. You've described the one belief by Leftists that assures me that they'll never succeed in disarming America. Anytime I hear extremists on the Left who are talking trash about taking guns from their neighbors (think nutjob "Beto") I remind myself that with that crowd it is simply understood when they say "we" they mean better men and women than themselves will do it for them. It never occurs to them that our military, whether federal or guard and reserve, can't necessarily be counted on to violate our Constitution.

The same can be said of cops in the vast part of flyover America. They simply will refuse the order and if a fight comes (AND IT WILL) they will likely join their neighbors. Those who refuse to support the Constitution are no longer protected by the badge. They'd better be good with the tools of oppression. Those tools will be all they have. They and their families will be hated by the rest of their communities.

Right, liberals are promoting the Russian military not following orders and turning against Putin, but they seem to believe US military would have no issue with going to war against US citizens.

How is a militia in proper working order?

Well trained, command structure, well equipped, you know who is in it

All militias have been under government control either state or local
You make a common mistake. The 2A must be read in it’s entirety not piece meal, to comprehend it’s meaning.

You forgot this part…”…being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Last edited:
You make a common mistake. The 2A must be read in it’s entirety, not piece meal to comprehend it’s meaning.

You forgot this part…”…being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
Absolutely
We cannot have the security of a free state without well regulated militias

A bunch of rednecks running around with AR-15s is not well regulated

"A well regulated militia" doesn't mean much in the context of the 2A. It's a desire to have a militia that is well regulated, rather than saying it must be.

The Amendment is about the militia, about protecting the militia.

You protect the militia by protecting the arms (keep arms) and the personnel (bear arms).

It's not a difficult amendment to understand, what's difficult is that everyone's trying to get it to fit their own agenda.

Disciplined.

Forum List

Back