Zone1 What might Paul have thought was lacking in Christ's sufferings?

Meriweather

Not all who wander are lost
Oct 21, 2014
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church. (Colossians 1:24)

Do we know, or can we surmise, what Paul felt was lacking in the afflictions of Christ?

Interesting. I'm still trying to figure out how Paul's teaching superseded Jusus. He contradicts Jesus often.

Where do you see Paul contradicting Jesus?

Paul was the equivalent of an Apostle with a little too much energy.

God blessed him because his nature would spread the word to a multitude of people.

Unfortunately - there may have been a "whisper down the lane" scenario with some of Paul's teachings.

Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church. (Colossians 1:24)

Do we know, or can we surmise, what Paul felt was lacking in the afflictions of Christ?
That is an excellent question. If you read on, the answer is revealed. Paul didn't mean that Christ was lacking, but that Christ never addressed His church as a church membership, because Jesus wasn't able to. He didn't have a church when He died. His churches were left to the disciples to establish. Paul was addressing the church as a whole body, an entity, telling them as a unique group about Jesus.

who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church: whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you

Not gonna type it all out again. Start with these, and I'll give you another list later.
I am not after a cut and paste list of what others think. I am asking you what contradiction immediately comes to your mind. There are parts of your cut and paste where I can find a verse that would make it seem that Jesus is also contradicting himself...or that Paul is contradicting himself. If you have no interest in a discussion, no problem. I have no interest in cut and pastes.

I am not after a cut and paste list of what others think. I am asking you what contradiction immediately comes to your mind. There are parts of your cut and paste where I can find a verse that would make it seem that Jesus is also contradicting himself...or that Paul is contradicting himself. If you have no interest in a discussion, no problem. I have no interest in cut and pastes.
OK. I'm not clear on why you prefer that I type out what can easily be found elsewhere, but it doesn't matter. The facts are the same either way. You're not worth all that effort.

Forum List

Back