What Part Of "Shall Not Be Infringed" Does She Not Understand?

So you agree with Hillary Clinton when she said
"If it is a constitutional right, then it, like every other constitutional right, is subject to reasonable regulation."
The 2nd amendment does not say "Except for felons" or "Except as provided by law". Why not?

The 4th amendment bans searches and seizure, but not all of them: It specifically names unreasonable searches and seizures.

The 5th amendment says that no one can be jailed or executed etc... but makes an exception: unless there is "due process of law".

Even the 13th amendment that prohibits slavery or involuntary servitude, makes an exception: "except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted."

But the 2nd amendment, which forbids government from taking away or restricting our right to keep and bear arms, is conspicuously devoid of any such language. As written, it permits NO exceptions or "reasonable restrictions". Period.

Why?

There's an important characteristic of the people's right to keep and bear arms, which might explain why the 2nd is written without qualifications. It says "Since X is so, the people's RKBA cannot be taken away or restricted." Unlike the 4th, 5th, and 13th, the 2nd does NOT say "except by due process of law". And it does NOT say "unless the person is a certain type of extreme criminal", and etc.

To make up an extreme example, suppose some guy goes into a restaurant, pulls out a gun and blows away half a dozen people. The cops show up and surround him, and one cop says, "Give me your gun right now." The guy says, "Sorry, the 2nd amendment says my right to KBA cannot be taken away or restricted, PERIOD, so you have no authority to make me give you my gun." And this with gunsmoke in the air and bodies bleeding on the floor next to him.

Many of the people who wrote the 2nd were lawyers, and knew well the effect that certain words have when included, or omitted, from legislation. And yet they chose to omit ANY exceptions to the ban on government taking people's guns away. Strictly speaking, that would even include the extreme example I just gave: Cops can't take away the gun of a murderer at the scene of his crime.

Many people use this as the reason why the 2nd amendment MUST have been intended to implicitly allow for exceptions: It's impossible that the Framers could have intended for murderers to retain their weapons immediately after committing their murders. Yet a truly strict reading of the 2nd, forbids any govt official (including police) from taking the mass-murderer's gun.

So what could the Framers' intention have been, in omitting any exceptions?

Remember that it is GOVERNMENT that is being forbidden from taking away people's weapons. And the foremost reason it's forbidden, is so that the people can use them against government itself, if/when the government becomes tyrannical. And the Framers knew that if government were given even the tiniest exception, there would be a tendency to turn that tiny loophole into more and more twisted, warped excuses to take guns away anyway, far beyond the "reasonable" exception of being able to take away a mass-murderer's gun at the scene of his crime.

The only way the Framers could find of avoiding the far-greater evil of a tyrannical government disarming its people, was to make NO EXCEPTIONS WHATSOEVER to an explicit ban on government disarming even one of us.

So where does that leave us on the question of the cops taking the mass murderer's gun at the restaurant?

It's inconceivable that the Framers would want the murderer to retain his gun even as they haul him off to jail.

But it's VERY conceivable that the Framers would want government to have NOT THE SLIGHTEST EXCUSE, NO MATTER HOW "REASONABLE", to take away the weapons of their populace in general. Because the slightest excuse, the tiniest exception, could be stretched into a huge loophole. And the Framers regarded a government that could somehow finagle its way into disarming its own people, as a far greater threat than the occasional murderous nutcase in a restaurant.

And history has proven the Framers right, time and again.

Should we amend the Constitution, changing the 2nd amendment to officially empower government to take away the right of, say, murderers, to own and carry guns?

Some would think it's obvious that we should, to make the law "really" right. But consider the potential cost.

My own guess is, the Framers intended for an exception to be made in such a case... but not by any government official. The restaurant mass-murderer tells the cops they have no power to take his gun. The cop responds by cracking the guy's skull, hard, and taking away his gun anyway. Did the cop violate the strict words of the 2nd amendment by doing so? Yes. But is there a jury in the world that will convict the cop for it? Probably not.

The Constitution puts the ultimate fate of anyone accused of breaking laws, into the hands of a JURY. A groupd of the accused guy's own peers, people pretty much like him. NOT government officials. And that was so the only people who can find, or even invent, exceptions to the law, are ordinary civilians: the ones on the jury. Today this is called "Jury Nullification". And I suggest that this is exactly what the Framers had in mind when the wrote the 2nd amendment with NO exceptions and NO "reasonable restrictions" on guns and other such weapons.

The 2nd amendment is a restriction on GOVERNMENT. But not on a jury.

So when the murderer from the restaurant brings charges against the cop for taking away his gun, the cop gets a chance to explain to a JURY why he did it. His explanation will probably take less than ten seconds. And the jury (whose members wouldn't be there if they hadn't been accepted by the cop) will certainly decide that the cop should not be found guilty of violating the clear language of the 2nd, in that case. Because the JURY (and nobody else) has the power to make "reasonable exceptions".

But at the same time, when government makes the slightest move toward disarming even a little of its populace by legislation, they can be met with the absolute, no-exceptions ban codified by the 2nd amendment. No loopholes, no "reasonable exceptions", no nothing. ANY legislation that infringes on the absolute right to KBA, is unconstitutional. Period.

I suspect that's how the Framers expected this particular law to work.

Can I prove it? No. When I meet one of the Framers, I'll ask him. Until that time, I can only guess, based on the records they have left behind... and the fact that they put NONE of the usual qualifiers, into the 2nd amendment. If anyone can come up with a better guess, I'd be happy to hear it.

[

Methinks your post / rant above is a very good example of unreasonableness.

You are confused Moon Bat.

Unreasonableness is like the SAFE Act in New York where a veteran went to the doctor because he had a little insomnia and the doctor reported him to the filthy ass unreasonable government and the government thugs came to his house and confiscated his legally owned firearms.

Unreasonableness is the stupid Libtards in California passing a bill to ban all semi automatic firearms.

Unreasonable is when the decorated veteran in New York was arrested and sent to jail because he had an empty standard capitacy magazine in the trunk of his car.

Unreasonableness is the city of DC banning all handguns, even in the home for self defense, and having to be told to knock it off by the Supreme Court.

You stupid uneducated low information Moon Bats wouldn't know what the term "reasonable" meant if it bit you in the ass and that is why you sorry ass bastards can't be trusted with the Bill of Rights..
At least you’re consistent at being wrong.

The courts determine what is or is not reasonable and Constitutional, and ultimately the Supreme Court when the lower court are in conflict, not you and other ignorant rightists predicated solely on your subjective, uninformed opinions.

And until such time as the Supreme Court rules on the prohibition of certain firearms, such as AR platform rifles, laws prohibiting their possession are indeed Constitutional, consistent with the fact that all rights are subject to regulation, including the rights enshrined in the Second Amendment.

You just don't like the answer

Your community wants thorough background checks and regulations. There are eight million people in NYC, if they believe those regulations are excessive, they have a court system available to them

It's not an answer. Tell my why the restrictions I stated are reasonable.
IMO

???
imo the NY regulation is overbroad and unconstitutional

THAT is an answer. Thank you.

So my question is, if NYC is the "gold standard" for some gun control supporters, why should I trust ANY further gun control proposals when this one is still allowed to stand?
Not all those seeking some new regulation act in good faith, nor do the NRA or gun mfters. The NRA has not sued over NY. So I think we have to approach each individually. Law abiding folk oughtta be able to buy all non-military firearms they want

[

Methinks your post / rant above is a very good example of unreasonableness.

You are confused Moon Bat.

Unreasonableness is like the SAFE Act in New York where a veteran went to the doctor because he had a little insomnia and the doctor reported him to the filthy ass unreasonable government and the government thugs came to his house and confiscated his legally owned firearms.

Unreasonableness is the stupid Libtards in California passing a bill to ban all semi automatic firearms.

Unreasonable is when the decorated veteran in New York was arrested and sent to jail because he had an empty standard capitacy magazine in the trunk of his car.

Unreasonableness is the city of DC banning all handguns, even in the home for self defense, and having to be told to knock it off by the Supreme Court.

You stupid uneducated low information Moon Bats wouldn't know what the term "reasonable" meant if it bit you in the ass and that is why you sorry ass bastards can't be trusted with the Bill of Rights..
At least you’re consistent at being wrong.

The courts determine what is or is not reasonable and Constitutional, and ultimately the Supreme Court when the lower court are in conflict, not you and other ignorant rightists predicated solely on your subjective, uninformed opinions.

And until such time as the Supreme Court rules on the prohibition of certain firearms, such as AR platform rifles, laws prohibiting their possession are indeed Constitutional, consistent with the fact that all rights are subject to regulation, including the rights enshrined in the Second Amendment.

Clinton is INcorrect, consistent with the current US Constitution (1787)

1- We are free people
2- the right to life and to defend the same is ABSOLUTE, UNALIENABLE
3- Article III does not allow the "justices" to use case law to AMEND the Constitution (1787)

The courts determine what is or is not reasonable and Constitutional,
Have you noticed that when liberal fanatics can't find justification for their illegal schemes, they look not to the Constitution, but to the courts? Despite the fact that the Constitution states its regulation in the 2nd amendment clearly and simply?

They do this because the Constitution doesn't say what they want. So they pretend they can't understand it, and that judges somehow have greater wisdom. So they give judges the (imaginary) power to change what the Constitution says from the bench.

"If it is a constitutional right, then it, like every other constitutional right, is subject to reasonable regulation."
The 2nd amendment does not say "Except for felons" or "Except as provided by law". Why not?

The 4th amendment bans searches and seizure, but not all of them: It specifically names unreasonable searches and seizures.

The 5th amendment says that no one can be jailed or executed etc... but makes an exception: unless there is "due process of law".

Even the 13th amendment that prohibits slavery or involuntary servitude, makes an exception: "except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted."

But the 2nd amendment, which forbids government from taking away or restricting our right to keep and bear arms, is conspicuously devoid of any such language. As written, it permits NO exceptions or "reasonable restrictions". Period.

Why?

There's an important characteristic of the people's right to keep and bear arms, which might explain why the 2nd is written without qualifications. It says "Since X is so, the people's RKBA cannot be taken away or restricted." Unlike the 4th, 5th, and 13th, the 2nd does NOT say "except by due process of law". And it does NOT say "unless the person is a certain type of extreme criminal", and etc.

To make up an extreme example, suppose some guy goes into a restaurant, pulls out a gun and blows away half a dozen people. The cops show up and surround him, and one cop says, "Give me your gun right now." The guy says, "Sorry, the 2nd amendment says my right to KBA cannot be taken away or restricted, PERIOD, so you have no authority to make me give you my gun." And this with gunsmoke in the air and bodies bleeding on the floor next to him.

Many of the people who wrote the 2nd were lawyers, and knew well the effect that certain words have when included, or omitted, from legislation. And yet they chose to omit ANY exceptions to the ban on government taking people's guns away. Strictly speaking, that would even include the extreme example I just gave: Cops can't take away the gun of a murderer at the scene of his crime.

Many people use this as the reason why the 2nd amendment MUST have been intended to implicitly allow for exceptions: It's impossible that the Framers could have intended for murderers to retain their weapons immediately after committing their murders. Yet a truly strict reading of the 2nd, forbids any govt official (including police) from taking the mass-murderer's gun.

Remember that it is GOVERNMENT that is being forbidden from taking away people's weapons. And the foremost reason it's forbidden, is so that the people can use them against government itself, if/when the government becomes tyrannical. And the Framers knew that if government were given even the tiniest exception, there would be a tendency to turn that tiny loophole into more and more twisted, warped excuses to take guns away anyway, far beyond the "reasonable" exception of being able to take away a mass-murderer's gun at the scene of his crime.

The only way the Framers could find of avoiding the far-greater evil of a tyrannical government disarming its people, was to make NO EXCEPTIONS WHATSOEVER to an explicit ban on government disarming even one of us.

So where does that leave us on the question of the cops taking the mass murderer's gun at the restaurant?

It's inconceivable that the Framers would want the murderer to retain his gun even as they haul him off to jail.

But it's VERY conceivable that the Framers would want government to have NOT THE SLIGHTEST EXCUSE, NO MATTER HOW "REASONABLE", to take away the weapons of their populace in general. Because the slightest excuse, the tiniest exception, could be stretched into a huge loophole. And the Framers regarded a government that could somehow finagle its way into disarming its own people, as a far greater threat than the occasional murderous nutcase in a restaurant.

Should we amend the Constitution, changing the 2nd amendment to officially empower government to take away the right of, say, murderers, to own and carry guns?

Some would think it's obvious that we should, to make the law "really" right. But consider the potential cost.

My own guess is, the Framers intended for an exception to be made in such a case... but not by any government official. The restaurant mass-murderer tells the cops they have no power to take his gun. The cop responds by cracking the guy's skull, hard, and taking away his gun anyway. Did the cop violate the strict words of the 2nd amendment by doing so? Yes. But is there a jury in the world that will convict the cop for it? Probably not.

The Constitution puts the ultimate fate of anyone accused of breaking laws, into the hands of a JURY. A groupd of the accused guy's own peers, people pretty much like him. NOT government officials. And that was so the only people who can find, or even invent, exceptions to the law, are ordinary civilians: the ones on the jury. Today this is called "Jury Nullification". And I suggest that this is exactly what the Framers had in mind when the wrote the 2nd amendment with NO exceptions and NO "reasonable restrictions" on guns and other such weapons.

So when the murderer from the restaurant brings charges against the cop for taking away his gun, the cop gets a chance to explain to a JURY why he did it. His explanation will probably take less than ten seconds. And the jury (whose members wouldn't be there if they hadn't been accepted by the cop) will certainly decide that the cop should not be found guilty of violating the clear language of the 2nd, in that case. Because the JURY (and nobody else) has the power to make "reasonable exceptions".

But at the same time, when government makes the slightest move toward disarming even a little of its populace by legislation, they can be met with the absolute, no-exceptions ban codified by the 2nd amendment. No loopholes, no "reasonable exceptions", no nothing. ANY legislation that infringes on the absolute right to KBA, is unconstitutional. Period.

Can I prove it? No. When I meet one of the Framers, I'll ask him. Until that time, I can only guess, based on the records they have left behind... and the fact that they put NONE of the usual qualifiers, into the 2nd amendment. If anyone can come up with a better guess, I'd be happy to hear it.

no. it uses the word infringe, which is not absolute today and was less so in thr 18th centuary

see merrium webster

It's not an answer. Tell my why the restrictions I stated are reasonable.
IMO

???

So my question is, if NYC is the "gold standard" for some gun control supporters, why should I trust ANY further gun control proposals when this one is still allowed to stand?
Not all those seeking some new regulation act in good faith, nor do the NRA or gun mfters. The NRA has not sued over NY. So I think we have to approach each individually. Law abiding folk oughtta be able to buy all non-military firearms they want

A right is a right is a right. If I don't get to exercise it, everyone loses, as it emboldens others to remove said rights from the rest of us.

A right is a right is a right. If I don't get to exercise it, everyone loses, as it emboldens others to remove said rights from the rest of us.
exercise it, but don't misunderstand that no right is absolute

Why?

no. it uses the word infringe, which is not absolute today and was less so in thr 18th centuary

see merrium webster

Until WE THE PEOPLE Amend the Constitution in a convention "infringe" means ABSOLUTE-UNALIENABLE

see merrium webster
Wrong as usual. It was quite absolute then, as it is now. Liberal wishful thinking notwithstanding.

It's always funny when some illiterate leftist tries to instruct normal people, while he can't even spell the time period he's trying to reference, or even the name of the dictionary he wants to use. :rofl:

you and the nra should sue

absolute is not synonomous with unalienable

unalienable

What's unalienable cannot be taken away or denied

. Its most famous use is in the Declaration of Independence, which says people have unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

To find the origins of the word unalienable, we can look at the root,alien, which comes from the Latin alienus, meaning "of or belonging to another." This provides the basis for our word, with the prefix un-providing the turnaround "not," and the suffix -able providing the idea of capability. Therefore, we get “not able to be denied.” Oh, and if you are wondering about the common argument as to whether it is "unalienable" or "inalienable," either is correct.

see merrium webster
Wrong as usual. It was quite absolute then, as it is now. Liberal wishful thinking notwithstanding.

It's always funny when some illiterate leftist tries to instruct normal people, while he can't even spell the time period he's trying to reference, or even the name of the dictionary he wants to use. :rofl:
Never absolute. NOT 1n 1776, and not in Dodge City in 1880

Constitutionally, the federal government may not create laws of limitation upon the right. Any regulation is a matter for the States.
Umm, no.

The 2nd amendment doesn't mention "which" government shall not infringe the right. Unlike the 1st amendment, which specified The Federal govt ("Congress shall make no law regarding an establishment of religion, nor..."), the 2nd was meant to forbid ALL governments in the U.S. - Federal, state, and local.

Ironically, the 14th amendment changed the scope of the 1st so that state and local govts couldn't regulate the rights it names either. But the 2nd already enjoined all govts from the day it was passed, so the 14th actually had no effect on it.

What's interesting is that, in the several years between the ratification of the original Constitution and the adoption of the Bill of Rights, state governments could make regulations or even bans on guns. But once the 2nd amendment was ratified, state and local govts were cut out of any such role.

Regulation of guns is not "a matter for the states", and hasn't been since the Bill of Rights was ratified. It is forbidden to all govts in the U.S., Federal, State, and Local.

"Congress shall make no law" is the first of the 1st, directed obviously to Congress. The 14th obligated the states to uniformity of application.

They should. but the national NRA considers NYC a lost cause. The law has been challenged, and local judges have allowed the law to stand.

unalienable

. Its most famous use is in the Declaration of Independence, which says people have unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

To find the origins of the word unalienable, we can look at the root,alien, which comes from the Latin alienus, meaning "of or belonging to another." This provides the basis for our word, with the prefix un-providing the turnaround "not," and the suffix -able providing the idea of capability. Therefore, we get “not able to be denied.” Oh, and if you are wondering about the common argument as to whether it is "unalienable" or "inalienable," either is correct.
You don't even have an absolute right to live

They should. but the national NRA considers NYC a lost cause. The law has been challenged, and local judges have allowed the law to stand.

There are no judges. They are merely fascists government agents - politicians in black robes.

unalienable

You don't even have an absolute right to live

Now you know the meaning go forth and stop being a dumb ass.

it can be appealed all thr way. I think the nra loves the law for the fear factor

Forum List

Back