🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What Were We Fighting For?

The exit strategy was non-existent.

That is what got us in such trouble.

I couldn't help but remember back in 2004 during the thick of the Iraq War, how our men and women fought hard and paid for every inch of ground they took with their life's blood.

And that was in large part due to Bush demobilizing the Iraqi Army after the successful invasion. Our troops paid a heavy price for that colossal fuck-up. And now the country of Iraq will pay the price instead of us continuing to pay it.

Last edited:
I believe that we should not have boots on the ground in Iraq, however we can still continue to use air power to target potential Al-Qaeda targets. This way we would keep our forces out of harms way.

I realize it costs money to continue supporting air power over Iraq, however if it helps slow down Al-Qaeda or other terrorist groups, then the risk for terrorist attacks becomes smaller. That is a worthwhile investment.

Last edited:
It's saddening to know that our president thinks so little of our men and women, to end a war prematurely

So, because he didn't want to keep US men and women in a hostile foreign country, he doesn't respect US troops? We've been in Iraq for 10 years; we spent untold amounts of money; lost good men and women; destroyed Iraqi men, women, children, their cities, their way of life. All for what? Where was the smoking gun? Obama did what the American people elected him to do - get the fuck out of there. And he followed the timeline that Bush - the asshole who got us into this mess - laid out. What more do you expect? What have YOU done?

How would you feel if in a game you were taken out while your opponent made up the advantage and beat you anyway? How would you feel if you built a house, only to be made to destroy it after not setting one foot in it? I have a unique perspective on this issue that you do not. I live in a military family, and I understand their sacrifice far better than you liberal blowhards ever will.

Game? GAME?

So, because he didn't want to keep US men and women in a hostile foreign country, he doesn't respect US troops? We've been in Iraq for 10 years; we spent untold amounts of money; lost good men and women; destroyed Iraqi men, women, children, their cities, their way of life. All for what? Where was the smoking gun? Obama did what the American people elected him to do - get the fuck out of there. And he followed the timeline that Bush - the asshole who got us into this mess - laid out. What more do you expect? What have YOU done?

How would you feel if in a game you were taken out while your opponent made up the advantage and beat you anyway? How would you feel if you built a house, only to be made to destroy it after not setting one foot in it? I have a unique perspective on this issue that you do not. I live in a military family, and I understand their sacrifice far better than you liberal blowhards ever will.

Game? GAME?

Your grandmother was in the military?

I think you are attempting to paint yourself as something more than who and what you actually are.

And this war is way past-due to end.

Game? GAME?

Iraq is not a game and cannot be compared to one.

I know how military families suffer, so, yes, I know how you suffered.

And as a career soldier on active duty for twelve years (airborne infantry), don't compare yourself, TK, with those who have served and suffered.

Iraq I made sense. Iraq II did not and has not.

Game? GAME?

Iraq is not a game and cannot be compared to one.

I know how military families suffer, so, yes, I know how you suffered.

And as a career soldier on active duty for twelve years (airborne infantry), don't compare yourself, TK, with those who have served and suffered.

Iraq I made sense. Iraq II did not and has not.

And THAT is the central question of Dick "Igor" Cheney. Powell admits the run up to Iraq II was not his "finest hour." But what the fk was Cheney thinking? BushI specifically shut it down because he knew what occupying Bagdahd would entail.

A 26 year old unemployed American can go down to his local recruiting office and get himself a meaningful job easily.

Get to it, soldier. Your country needs you.

Yeah well the military is not for everyone and all those new jackasses joining aren't making life easier. Don't go around trying to recruit more idiots for the moronic officers to get confused over please!

Saddam tried to kill Bush Sr., so Bush Jr. went to war with Iraq.

This is what happens when you elect a stupid president.

Smart presidents use drones.

Yep.

Bush killed and maimed hundreds of thousands and that's okay with some.

I have a kinder view of W, but then I voted for him. I think he actually believed that w/o Saddam, the Iraqis would choose a free market representative democracy. He was an egomanic, dry drunk, naive, spendthrift son of a successful man. But not with an evil heart.

I've "liked" your posts and given you positive "reps", but I think your post is full of shit.

By the way, you know I love your dog based solely from the picture, right?

Last edited:
I couldn't help but remember back in 2004 during the thick of the Iraq War, how our men and women fought hard and paid for every inch of ground they took with their life's blood. Today, 10 years later, in Ramadi and Fallujah, places where the fighting was the fiercest and where the most of our troops died, the terrorist group Al Qaeda, that Obama claimed had been "decimated" and put "on the run" has retaken those places with little resistance. Their flags now fly over those cities once again. In Robert Gates' new book Duty, he recalls how Obama's decisions regarding the war were purely political. He recalls a particular disdain for the military in general which exuded from the President. This all leads me to ask, what were we fighting for? Was Obama pulling out of Iraq purely indeed motivated by politics? Did he care that one day that such a pullout would create a power vacuum there? Did he realize he was relinquishing all that our troops fought for back to the enemy?

What were we fighting for? What on Earth were we doing there, if not to win? It's saddening to know that our president thinks so little of our men and women, to end a war prematurely and give up everything they fought hard and died for, simply to put himself in a better political position to trounce his rivals. Why did he have military advisers if he was simply going to ignore them as he did Mr. Gates? I fail to understand how a man can have simply no commitment to the efforts his men and women in uniform are putting in overseas. I'm a Libertarian, and I don't take too kindly to foreign intervention in the first place. But I was also taught as a boy, "If you start a fight son, you finish it."

What were we fighting for? Nothing it seems, nothing but the political gains of one man. My Father fought in the first Iraq war, and I can tell you the he is none too happy to see what he fought for, risked life and limb for--- gone; taken back by the enemy. What were we really fighting for? You tell me.

To quote Tonto, "What you mean, 'we', Paleface?"

Obama pulled out of Iraq because 60% of Americans thought it was a mistake to go in there to start with.

As a wise man once asked, "How can you ask someone to be the last man to die for a mistake?"

It's saddening to know that our president thinks so little of our men and women, to end a war prematurely

Guy, I was in the military for 11 years.

You care more about looking out for the guy next to you than what is going to happen on the patch of real estate you happen to be on.

Keeping Fallujah in the right hands (and sorry, looking at the scorecard of Sunnis, Shi'ites and Kurds, not sure whose hands those are) is not worth one more American life than we spent already.

Iraq was a huge mistake, because of the ego of a few men.

We were never fighting for anything. That's why Obama followed Bush's withdrawal date and got us the fuck out.

Oh, and leaving our troops over in that shit hole doesn't show them respect. Quite the opposite.

I agree, however when we send our military into battle we should give them the assets and authority to win it decisively and quickly. We did not do that in any war since WW2 and we have lost every one since then.

We, the US, has not been defeated in every war since WW2. I assume you would say Korea and VN. But in neither did we leave because we were defeated. Absolute victory, maybe not, but defeat, no.

Forum List

Back