What would you accept as proof for G-d existing?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
I ask this of myself all the time. What event or occurence would stand out from natural phenomenae and be an unmistakle indication of an all-powerful conscious G-d doing something?

If the Earth suddenly stopped rotating for a day or so then started up again, I'd take that as proof of G-d.

An angel materializing before me would suffice as well. Thought I encountered one way back, but think it was just a really beautiful woman I passed in a hallway and our eyes met for a moment. I actually stopped in my tracks awestruck.

You know, things like that. :)

Last edited:
I ask this of myself all the time. What event or occurence would stand out from natural phenomenae and be an unmistakle indication of an all-powerful conscious G-d doing something?

If the Earth suddenly stopped rotating for a day or so then started up again, I'd take that as proof of G-d.

An angel materializing before me would suffice as well. Thought I encountered one way back, but think it was just a really beautiful woman I passed in a hallway and our eyes met for a moment. I actually stopped in my tracks awestruck.

things like that have been described - and the human reaction to them as well :D :

Luke 16:19-31

New International Version (NIV)
The Rich Man and Lazarus

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

things like that have been described - and the human reaction to them as well :D :

The Rich Man and Lazarus

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

No book is acceptable as proof of G-d. Such a book would have to fall from the sky being so large no human could have made it, and of a material not found here on Earth.

To put it another way: Dianetics doesn't prove Scientology. :)

Last edited:

The Rich Man and Lazarus

No book is acceptable as proof of G-d. Such a book would have to fall from the sky being so large no human could have made it, and of a material not found here on Earth.

To put it another way: Dianetics doesn't prove Scientology. :)

it is not a book which is a proof - it is a description of human nature which is :D

you would benefit from reading the Sacred Texts much more if you look at them not as a "proof" of God's existence, but at the proof of amazing knowledge of the human nature, described there.

which, taking into account our obsession with consideration that only contemporary humankind is educated enough to understand it - is the very proof you are looking for :)

I think true things have been known by Man all along. Ancient authors may have used different words, but the ideas they described are often just as valid as the ones we'd use today. Doesn't take a god though to say "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." A good line addressing this comes from "Enemy Mine:"

"If an enemy does evil to you, do not do it back to him." - "I've heard this before." - "Of course you have - truth is truth."

I think those that say they don't believe only do so limiting their notions of what God is to what religions they know about. I can't imagine though what would compel someone to be hostile to the possibility of a benevolent god existing. Other than just to be argumentative on a site like :)

meeting him on the day he asks why you didn't choose to believe without proof is the only "proof" you are ever going to get.....

Couple of good possibilities:

1. Obama suddenly made to speak only truth.

2. (alternative) Obama grew horns a tail that gained length each time He lied.

Or (3 but less desirable) ---- suddenly all wine turns to single-malt Scotch.

I guess the problem is, there is no real indication that God is benevolent.

She doesn't seem to want to get involved (in natural disasters, pogroms, terrorism, etc).

The only rational way to address the existence of God is to live as though She does exist, and not worry about "faith," the presence or non-presence of which is merely an intellectual distraction. Even if She does not exist, there is ample reason to behave as though She did.

The witness of the Holy Spirit is what I accepted as proof. When you experience His love first hand and have pure intelligence enter and expand your mind it's undeniable.

I think true things have been known by Man all along. Ancient authors may have used different words, but the ideas they described are often just as valid as the ones we'd use today. Doesn't take a god though to say "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." A good line addressing this comes from "Enemy Mine:"

"If an enemy does evil to you, do not do it back to him." - "I've heard this before." - "Of course you have - truth is truth."

What's at the very end of the Universe I wonder Delta.......would be great to go there AND BACK.steve

Excellent and thought(for those who can think) provoking post Delta

meeting him on the day he asks why you didn't choose to believe without proof is the only "proof" you are ever going to get.....

I work on my appealate case a little bit every day. :)

"With so many religions all claiming to be true your Hon-r (heh,) I didn't wanna risk falling into one that wasn't in fact true."

I work on my appealate case a little bit every day. :)

"With so many religions all claiming to be true your Hon-r (heh,) I didn't wanna risk falling into one that wasn't in fact true."

/shrugs.....people like you have met Jesus......
John 4:48 “Unless you people see signs and wonders,” Jesus told him, “you will never believe.”

Forum List

Back