What's wrong with atheists?

...and yet, back in the 1950's, I distinctly remember some religious organization passing out free copies of the New Testament to all us 7th grade kids. I wonder what message they sere trying to convey by not including the entire Bible?

A jewish kid in my class told me that he used it as a door stop.

So? Free Bibles, Book of Mormon, probably even the Quran shouldn't raise any eyebrows in a nation that promotes the free practice of religion. Because no religion is enforce, tons of New Testaments ending up in the city dump (or being used as doorstops) isn't an issue, either.

Ever ponder what message a history of the Civil War sends by not including histories of the Revolutionary and Great Wars? Exactly.

[Q Public school is the perfect place to teach children that America is a place where open practice of any and all (or no) religion is welcome.

And that is where it is taught. Children can pray at school- but if they want to have organized prayers- they do it outside of the classrooms in after school clubs. Children are taught that Americans can choose any or no religion- and that they won't be forced into any of them at school.

My friends who are Christians range from evangelicals to Catholics to the far left almost Unitarian Christians- and I have had discussions like this with them- and other than the almost Unitarians- none agree with equating the God of Jesus to other gods.

We need to visit each other's discussion groups! I'm more used to people agreeing that there is only one Supreme Being, but people's perceptions/descriptions of the Supreme Being vary widely.

As an atheist I don't think that its impossible that a god could exist- I just have seen no evidence that a god or gods do exist.
Then you're an agnostic. You're welcome.

Nope- I am an atheist.
An atheist says that god is not possible. Now you know.

No I don't.

Definition of atheism
  1. 1 archaic : ungodliness, wickedness

2. 2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
  3. b : the doctrine that there is no deity
I am an atheist as in 2.a.
b says: "the doctrine that there is no deity", so you close the door to the possibility.

Yes- and I am an atheist as in 2a.

And that is where it is taught. Children can pray at school- but if they want to have organized prayers- they do it outside of the classrooms in after school clubs. Children are taught that Americans can choose any or no religion- and that they won't be forced into any of them at school.

A teacher may not initiate group prayer in class. That is a prohibition, is it not? Saying, Children can pray silently if they want, does not eliminate the other prohibitions.

Nothing stops a kid in a classroom from praying on his own. But when you force twenty children to pray you are inducing non believers to participate or risk being ostracized.

Most of seem to be in agreement that no child should be "forced." That is different from inviting children to pray if they wish. Some people want to define "invitation" as "force", and these are two very different things.

A joke:

An atheist, a vegan, and a cross fitter walk into a bar.

We know they are because they told everyone in the bar in the first 5 seconds.

And that's what is wrong with atheists.

I'm an atheist and I rarely tell people of my beliefs...even if asked

Our society is not there yet in accepting outright atheism. Even politicians will hide their atheist views because they know the devoutly religious will use it against them

The problem I have with them is they can't just be atheist and shut up about it. No, they have to attack a person's beliefs whenever possible and/or use the legal system to voice his offended their delicate sensibilities are. Perhaps YOU don't do this but you cannot deny that others do.

I've never had an atheist come to my door to try to convince me there is no god

I have seen atheists object to themselves or their children being forced to participate in religious observances against their will

I have never seen anyone actually forced to pray or participate against their will. If you are in a classroom as a kid and you don't want to pray, you don't have to, but you also don't have to sue the school district and prevent others from doing so.

Let me see

I have been to public luncheons that begin with a benediction, I have been to public school graduations where a pastor comes out and leads a prayer, I have been to public school football games where the coach leads the team in a prayer

Nothing stops a kid in a classroom from praying on his own. But when you force twenty children to pray you are inducing non believers to participate or risk being ostracized

Do you believe an atheist teacher should lead young children in reciting that there is no God?

Neither you or anyone else was forced to pray in any of those cases.

The problem I have with them is they can't just be atheist and shut up about it. No, they have to attack a person's beliefs whenever possible and/or use the legal system to voice his offended their delicate sensibilities are. Perhaps YOU don't do this but you cannot deny that others do.

Note this entire thread is about a Christian attacking atheists.
You too are labeling all athiests as being 'this' or 'that'- which of course is grossly dishonest.

There are people who attack others for their beliefs or lack of beliefs- and those people can be Christians or atheists. This thread is an example of a Christian attacking atheists for not believing in his fairy tales.

Funny that. I never hear a Christian announcing their beliefs.

So you have never had Christians knock on your door, or try to hand your pamphlets on the street to tell you the 'good news'?

I certainly have- and frankly thats okay- I don't really mind them doing it.

But I have never had an atheist come to my door to tell me how religion is all wrong, or pass out anti-Christianity pamphlets to me on the street.

True, and likely that has much more to do with the fact that they don't have an organized group to belong to. They must do that individually. I don't have very many atheist friends, but the few that I have worked with in the past will jump right on you if you mention your faith.

Hmmmm so you are saying that atheists will only bring it up- after you have brought up your faith?

Like I said- its pretty much always Christians who want to talk about their faith. Not atheists who want to talk about their non-existent faith.

Yes, like when say: "no, I can't go to the game on Sunday because I'll be in church."

No, I don't push my religion on anyone but I have had atheists bring it up at work in many occasion.

If I was Jewish and my child was going to a public school and the school insisted that my child participate in prayers praising Jesus- I sure would sue to prevent the public school endorsing Christianity- and making my child participate in it.

And yes- when I was a kid, that did happen in public schools. Until Atheists and Jews and other sued to stop it from happening.

Of course this works both ways- it also means that Christian kids cannot be forced to participate in Jewish prayers or Muslim prayers.

Take another look at the lawsuit that went before the Supreme Court. Unless my memory has gone entirely haywire, this lawsuit was by a Christian who didn't like the wording of a known Christian prayer. I suspect more than one atheist or Jew of the time were chortling over the fact that infighting among Christians got rid of Christian prayer at school.

My point is that many prayers from many faiths and denominations should be perfectly ordinary events during the school day where people are free to openly practice his/her religion--be that person child, teacher, custodian, or administrator.

A joke:

An atheist, a vegan, and a cross fitter walk into a bar.

We know they are because they told everyone in the bar in the first 5 seconds.

And that's what is wrong with atheists.

Our society is not there yet in accepting outright atheism. Even politicians will hide their atheist views because they know the devoutly religious will use it against them

I have seen atheists object to themselves or their children being forced to participate in religious observances against their will

I have never seen anyone actually forced to pray or participate against their will. If you are in a classroom as a kid and you don't want to pray, you don't have to, but you also don't have to sue the school district and prevent others from doing so.

If I was Jewish and my child was going to a public school and the school insisted that my child participate in prayers praising Jesus- I sure would sue to prevent the public school endorsing Christianity- and making my child participate in it.

And yes- when I was a kid, that did happen in public schools. Until Atheists and Jews and other sued to stop it from happening.

Of course this works both ways- it also means that Christian kids cannot be forced to participate in Jewish prayers or Muslim prayers.

No one is forcing any child to participate.

Yes, Congress shall make no law

Meaning taxpayer funded schools and public meetings can't be used to promote religion. As an individual, you can take your children to church where religion should be taught ...not public schools

I am glad to see you are so enlightened about your children being subjected to other religious views. Most Christians are not so enlightened

Congress cannot establish a religion. It cannot prohibit religious practice. Saying a prayer does not establish a religion. Religion does not start and stop at the front doors of a church. Religion is a way of life, and prayer is part of religion.

It is not "enlightenment" you see, but common sense. I find it interesting that Congress and citizens--due to the Constitution's position on free speech--has no problem with obscene language and vulgar suggestive images being promoted in public but run like scared rabbits when the prayer is the issue. Public school is the perfect place to teach children that America is a place where open practice of any and all (or no) religion is welcome.

When a publically funded school or government function begins with a prayer they ARE establishing a religious preference. They are acknowledging GOD and offering a prayer to said GOD

Let me see

I have been to public luncheons that begin with a benediction, I have been to public school graduations where a pastor comes out and leads a prayer, I have been to public school football games where the coach leads the team in a prayer

Nothing stops a kid in a classroom from praying on his own. But when you force twenty children to pray you are inducing non believers to participate or risk being ostracized

Do you believe an atheist teacher should lead young children in reciting that there is no God?

Again

Will you accept an atheist teacher beginning each day requiring children to recite a paragraph stating there is no GOD and no JESUS?

A teacher may not initiate group prayer in class. That is a prohibition, is it not? Saying, Children can pray silently if they want, does not eliminate the other prohibitions.

I have no problem with beginning each day with a moment of silence where children can pray, reflect on the meaning of life or surf their IPads

Let me see

Again

Will you accept an atheist teacher beginning each day requiring children to recite a paragraph stating there is no GOD and no JESUS?

No, because you said requiring them to read. No one is required to start their day reading a passage of the bible.

When a publically funded school or government function begins with a prayer they ARE establishing a religious preference. They are acknowledging GOD and offering a prayer to said GOD

Reciting a prayer or reading a verse does not establish a religion, any more than reading the Pokey Little Puppy establishes a government preference for dogs over cats. Yes, religion is an acknowledgement of God, and the Constitution guarantees acknowledgement of God is not to be interfered through any law.

Again

The atheist teacher may invite children to recite the paragraph, but no, an atheist teacher may not require
such a recitation any more than a teacher of faith may require children to recite a prayer. There is a difference between requiring and inviting.

I have no problem with beginning each day with a moment of silence where children can pray, reflect on the meaning of life or surf their IPads

The school district in which I work requires that electronic devices such as cell phones, IPads, etcetera, be turned off and put away once the bell rings at the start of the school day. Perhaps your moment of silence can substitute read a book or work on homework instead of surf their IPads?

Let me see

Again

No, because you said requiring them to read. No one is required to start their day reading a passage of the bible.

Well what if the teacher begins each day reading a passage that explains there is no proof of GOD, therefore GOD does not exist

Children are free to read the passage with her or not

Are you going to keep your child in that class or not?

Let me see

Again

Well what if the teacher begins each day reading a passage that explains there is no proof of GOD, therefore GOD does not exist

Let me see

Again

I would have no problem with that. It happens every day in science classes anyway. Essentially.

Forum List

Back