What's wrong with atheists?

Ah yes, now they come along and cite Dawkins, who says 'A little pedophilia is okay.'.
Not quite what he said, but that is no surprise. What he said is you can't use today's standards to judge behavior that was tolerated in the past, and as an example he said he was not damaged by what happened to him while he was a young student.

In an interview in The Times magazine, Dawkins, 72, said he was unable to condemn what he called “the mild pedophilia” he experienced at an English school when he was a child in the 1950s. Referring to his early days at a boarding school in Salisbury, he recalled how one of the (unnamed) masters “pulled me on his knee and put his hand inside my shorts.”

Here is the actual quote:
“I am very conscious that you can’t condemn people of an earlier era by the standards of ours. Just as we don’t look back at the 18th and 19th centuries and condemn people for racism in the same way as we would condemn a modern person for racism, I look back a few decades to my childhood and see things like caning, like mild pedophilia, and can’t find it in me to condemn it by the same standards as I or anyone would today,”

Ah yes, and a pedo apologist posts an apologia for a pedo apologist. Yes, it's already been noted that most of the Dawkins crowd are sexual deviants of one sort or another. Thanks for being helpful with that.

Picaro

But what edthecynic said is true. It used to be very accepted for very young children married and is still what some people want. Look at what Phil Robertson preached to his Christian group. Ted Nugent even wrote a song about it. Trump being accused of child rape is close to the same thing. That desire many men have for young girls.

That used to be the norm but now we have laws to protect those children. Or at least, that's what they're supposed to do.

edthecynic is also correct about what Dawkins said.

As for being an "apologist", knowledge is our best weapon. And, Mike Huckabee is very much an apologist for what Josh Duggar and the rest of that cult do.

Then you're an agnostic. You're welcome.

Nope- I am an atheist.
An atheist says that god is not possible. Now you know.

No I don't.

Definition of atheism
  1. 1 archaic : ungodliness, wickedness

2. 2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
  3. b : the doctrine that there is no deity
I am an atheist as in 2.a.
b says: "the doctrine that there is no deity", so you close the door to the possibility.

Yes- and I am an atheist as in 2a.
Then you believe that there is no deity possible. You can't just take part of the definition and toss the stuff you don't like. It's not a happy meal. :D

Because then no one is forced to participate in a religious activity that they do not want to participate in.

Christians don't have to participate or attend Muslims prayers.
Jews don't have to participate or attend Christian prayers.
Muslims don't have to participate in Wiccan prayers.
And atheists don't have to participate or attend any prayers.

Virtually every religion has its own houses of worship that enjoy tax free status- those who wish to participate in public displays of their faith can do so at their church or anywhere else that is not an event for everyone of all faiths or no faiths.

No one is forced; people may always bow out. No one "has" to do anything. So why make a point of prohibiting something no one has to do?

Because then no one is forced to participate in a religious activity that they do not want to participate in.

Christians don't have to participate or attend Muslims prayers.
Jews don't have to participate or attend Christian prayers.
Muslims don't have to participate in Wiccan prayers.
And atheists don't have to participate or attend any prayers.

Virtually every religion has its own houses of worship that enjoy tax free status- those who wish to participate in public displays of their faith can do so at their church or anywhere else that is not an event for everyone of all faiths or no faiths.

No one is forced; people may always bow out. No one "has" to do anything. So why make a point of prohibiting something no one has to do?

Yes- I am forced to participate in a religious ritual if I choose to attend a public ceremony at City Hall where they start with a prayer to Jesus.

How about this- don't have the prayer- and that way everyone who wants to pray can do so silently and no one is forced to participate in anything.

I had someone ask me recently why, if atheism is so fulfilling, why are atheists so angry? I have been thinking about it and this is what I came up with:

Number one, atheists have to establish some kind of victimhood status so they can make it personal. They'll go back a thousand years to complain about something the Church allegedly did (and they usually make that up) to establish some level of butthurtedness. (I know, that's not a word, stay on point.) The Crusades is one of their favorites because they can make things up about that and nobody bothers to check the facts.

One of their complaints is that they claim Christianity (It's always Christianity, they never bitch about Judaism or Islam) "passes laws" that keep them from doing things they want to do, whatever that is. Well, we don't "pass laws", we have state and federal legislatures to do that. So the real problem is that we vote. The idea that people who don't believe what they believe vote is repugnant to them. So they hate freedom.

Finally, if I ever meet an atheist who has the slightest inkling of a clue about what Christianity really believes I will shake his hand and buy him a cigar. What they usually do is twist the beliefs of a doomsday cult and claim that's what the Bible teaches and what Christianity believes.

BUT, let some cult (you know who you are) speak up and they will defend them with their dying breath because they think the very fact that heretics exist must mean they have a case.

Pathetic. Hypocritical. Illogical. Non factual. Atheists.

You seem angry.

Atheists proselytizing to me always makes me angry.

Clement

So you understand why atheists get ticked at Christians preaching at them. Good. That's a start.

Now you need to work on your anger.

He's an idiot. For starters, atheists aren't proselytizing to him. How many atheists go door to door? Answer, none. How many atheists on this thread care what he believes? The answer is none.

Who started this bitch fest thread? Not an atheist.

This whole thread has been an impersonation of what you sound like to me, after having read 17 years of atheist bitchfests, usually on Christian message boards. The only thing I left out was their idiotic questions on whether or not God can make a rock He can't lift or the monotonous posts about evolution in Church history forums, so stick it in your ass.

Spoken like a true Christian. :)

Nope- I am an atheist.
An atheist says that god is not possible. Now you know.

No I don't.

Definition of atheism

I am an atheist as in 2.a.
b says: "the doctrine that there is no deity", so you close the door to the possibility.

Yes- and I am an atheist as in 2a.
Then you believe that there is no deity possible. You can't just take part of the definition and toss the stuff you don't like. It's not a happy meal. :D

You don't quite understand how definitions work- do you?
Definition of atheism
2 & 3 are different definitions- both equally correct definitions.

Here is another example- do you think that a Mouse mus be a small rodent- and a timid person- and a small mobile manual device for your computer?
Full Definition of mouse
plural
mice
play \ˈmīs\
  1. 1 : any of numerous small rodents (as of the genus Mus) with pointed snout, rather small ears, elongated body, and slender tail

2. 2 : a timid person

3. 3 : a dark-colored swelling caused by a blow; specifically : black eye

4. 4 plural also mouses : a small mobile manual device that controls movement of the cursor and selection of functions on a computer display

I had someone ask me recently why, if atheism is so fulfilling, why are atheists so angry? I have been thinking about it and this is what I came up with:

Number one, atheists have to establish some kind of victimhood status so they can make it personal. They'll go back a thousand years to complain about something the Church allegedly did (and they usually make that up) to establish some level of butthurtedness. (I know, that's not a word, stay on point.) The Crusades is one of their favorites because they can make things up about that and nobody bothers to check the facts.

One of their complaints is that they claim Christianity (It's always Christianity, they never bitch about Judaism or Islam) "passes laws" that keep them from doing things they want to do, whatever that is. Well, we don't "pass laws", we have state and federal legislatures to do that. So the real problem is that we vote. The idea that people who don't believe what they believe vote is repugnant to them. So they hate freedom.

Finally, if I ever meet an atheist who has the slightest inkling of a clue about what Christianity really believes I will shake his hand and buy him a cigar. What they usually do is twist the beliefs of a doomsday cult and claim that's what the Bible teaches and what Christianity believes.

BUT, let some cult (you know who you are) speak up and they will defend them with their dying breath because they think the very fact that heretics exist must mean they have a case.

Pathetic. Hypocritical. Illogical. Non factual. Atheists.

You seem angry.

Atheists proselytizing to me always makes me angry.

Clement

So you understand why atheists get ticked at Christians preaching at them. Good. That's a start.

Now you need to work on your anger.

He's an idiot. For starters, atheists aren't proselytizing to him. How many atheists go door to door? Answer, none. How many atheists on this thread care what he believes? The answer is none.

Who started this bitch fest thread? Not an atheist.

This whole thread has been an impersonation of what you sound like to me, after having read 17 years of atheist bitchfests, usually on Christian message boards. The only thing I left out was their idiotic questions on whether or not God can make a rock He can't lift or the monotonous posts about evolution in Church history forums, so stick it in your ass.

Just like your other posts, this one proves that what Carla_Danger wrote is true.

Instead of calling atheists, you might want to figure out why you're so angry at them. Personally, I think you should start with reading what Jesus taught his followers.

How about possibly alternating reading material on first millennia thought that even if matter is eternal/infinite, it still cannot move unless it is acted upon my an outside force...so what was the outside force that set matter in motion?
The Third Law of Thermodynamics says that there is no temperature at which all motion stops, therefore there was never a condition where there was no motion.

Yes- I am forced to participate in a religious ritual if I choose to attend a public ceremony at City Hall where they start with a prayer to Jesus.

How about this- don't have the prayer- and that way everyone who wants to pray can do so silently and no one is forced to participate in anything.

Having to listen to others pray is forcing you to participate? Ever been at a non-religious assembly where audience participation is sought? I have...and I choose not to participate. I don't shout out, I don't applaud, I don't do the wave or any other action. I can't sing, so I don't sing--even when everyone else around me is singing. Every event, every action is not about me. Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and pagans can have all be holding their rituals around me, and I would be good with that because not everything has to be about me or to include me. I can listen and observe without feeling "forced" because I am who I am, and I am comfortable in my own skin.

How about no one ever talk about anything--or do anything if other people are near--just in case someone near them feels "forced". You are confusing force with choice. If a meeting begins with a prayer, you can choose to join in, or you can choose to sit quietly. As one who is often sitting quietly, it has never once occurred to me that I am being forced to do so. I am conscious that I made the choice that is best--or most comfortable--for me.

What militant atheists think that Christians should not be allowed to vote? None. That's why I find their desires absurd. Of course Christians are going to vote for candidates that have the same values as them. It would be ridiculous to expect otherwise.

Why exactly do you think that a Jewish child should be forced to pray to Jesus in public school? I don't.

Or that an atheist should be required to swear on a Bible?
I think that is a pretty odd custom myself.

Or that Muslims should have their tax dollars used to build a giant cross in the city park? That could easily happen. Muslims are a minority. They wouldn't have enough votes to block it from happening.

If there is no separation of church and state- what prevents schools from requiring a Jewish child to pray to Jesus?

The first amendment.

Hence once again the separation of church and state.

A Muslim can get elected as a congressman. He can pursue laws that look like Muslim values without labeling them as Muslim values. There is no separation of church and state. Religious groups can still influence the law.

I rarely recall any atheist publically proclaiming...I am an Atheist!

Do you consider youtube a public place? If so then I disagree with your observation.

I could probably give you a list of five. I just don't have their names right off.

The Amazing Atheist
The Friendly Atheist
Matthew Dilahunt
Dusty Smith (Cultofdusty)
That girl. I forgot her name.

Yes, Congress shall make no law

Meaning taxpayer funded schools and public meetings can't be used to promote religion. As an individual, you can take your children to church where religion should be taught ...not public schools

I am glad to see you are so enlightened about your children being subjected to other religious views. Most Christians are not so enlightened

Congress cannot establish a religion. It cannot prohibit religious practice. Saying a prayer does not establish a religion. Religion does not start and stop at the front doors of a church. Religion is a way of life, and prayer is part of religion.

It is not "enlightenment" you see, but common sense. I find it interesting that Congress and citizens--due to the Constitution's position on free speech--has no problem with obscene language and vulgar suggestive images being promoted in public but run like scared rabbits when the prayer is the issue. Public school is the perfect place to teach children that America is a place where open practice of any and all (or no) religion is welcome.

When a publically funded school or government function begins with a prayer they ARE establishing a religious preference. They are acknowledging GOD and offering a prayer to said GOD

You do kn
No, because you said requiring them to read. No one is required to start their day reading a passage of the bible.

Well what if the teacher begins each day reading a passage that explains there is no proof of GOD, therefore GOD does not exist

Children are free to read the passage with her or not

Are you going to keep your child in that class or not?

I would have no problem with that. It happens every day in science classes anyway. Essentially.

No- essentially it doesn't.

I would have as much of a problem with a science teacher requiring a child to write a paper on why there is no god- as I would with a science teacher requiring a child to write a paper that Jesus is the only true savior.

Yeah it does.

If you think teaching the periodic table is proof that there is no god- who am I to argue with you.

You know, you were doing fairly well. You actually participated in a discussion without saying something stupid. Until now. That's pretty good for you though, going as long as you did. Kudos.

Having to listen to others pray is forcing you to participate? Ever been at a non-religious assembly where audience participation is sought? I have...and I choose not to participate. I don't shout out, I don't applaud, I don't do the wave or any other action. I can't sing, so I don't sing--even when everyone else around me is singing. Every event, every action is not about me. Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and pagans can have all be holding their rituals around me, and I would be good with that because not everything has to be about me or to include me. I can listen and observe without feeling "forced" because I am who I am, and I am comfortable in my own skin.

How about no one ever talk about anything--or do anything if other people are near--just in case someone near them feels "forced". You are confusing force with choice. If a meeting begins with a prayer, you can choose to join in, or you can choose to sit quietly. As one who is often sitting quietly, it has never once occurred to me that I am being forced to do so. I am conscious that I made the choice that is best--or most comfortable--for me.

Yes- it is forcing me to participate when in a public event that a prayer for Jesus's guidance is called for.

Here is a choice- how about having the meeting start without a prayer so that all of those present are not forced to listen to a prayer to a god that they do not believe in?

And that applies to everyone- Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindu's, and atheists.

Yes, Congress shall make no law

Meaning taxpayer funded schools and public meetings can't be used to promote religion. As an individual, you can take your children to church where religion should be taught ...not public schools

I am glad to see you are so enlightened about your children being subjected to other religious views. Most Christians are not so enlightened

Congress cannot establish a religion. It cannot prohibit religious practice. Saying a prayer does not establish a religion. Religion does not start and stop at the front doors of a church. Religion is a way of life, and prayer is part of religion.

It is not "enlightenment" you see, but common sense. I find it interesting that Congress and citizens--due to the Constitution's position on free speech--has no problem with obscene language and vulgar suggestive images being promoted in public but run like scared rabbits when the prayer is the issue. Public school is the perfect place to teach children that America is a place where open practice of any and all (or no) religion is welcome.

When a publically funded school or government function begins with a prayer they ARE establishing a religious preference. They are acknowledging GOD and offering a prayer to said GOD

You do kn
Well what if the teacher begins each day reading a passage that explains there is no proof of GOD, therefore GOD does not exist

Children are free to read the passage with her or not

Are you going to keep your child in that class or not?

I would have no problem with that. It happens every day in science classes anyway. Essentially.

No- essentially it doesn't.

I would have as much of a problem with a science teacher requiring a child to write a paper on why there is no god- as I would with a science teacher requiring a child to write a paper that Jesus is the only true savior.

Yeah it does.

If you think teaching the periodic table is proof that there is no god- who am I to argue with you.

You know, you were doing fairly well. You actually participated in a discussion without saying something stupid. Until now. That's pretty good for you though, going as long as you did. Kudos.

It was a pleasure to break your record- several posts ago.

Forum List

Back