🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Which single issue hands the midterms to the GOP?

Reagan got runaway inflation from Jimmy Carter back under control. You really are clueless when it comes to US economic history!

Yup, he did. By giving us one tax reduction and 4 increases. Plus raising the debt ceiling 17 times. Pumping a bunch of borrowed money into the economy.

Fact is, if America could struggled a few more years, we would've been a lot more independent. Financially and in all energy matters. The R & D's had dug us into a hole, and they wouldn't let Carter build the ladder out of it. So Reagan brought in bigger shovels.

Nowhere near 60 years... You must have forgotten the runaway inflation of the 70's and 80's under Ford and Reagan.

But yes, you raise tariffs, you cause inflation... this isn't rocket science.
The runaway inflation was under another Democrat - Carter. It took a Republican - Reagan - to bring it under control.

(SMH at the lib’s attempt to blame the inflation of the late 70s on a Republican, without mentioning the most inept president (Carter) we’ve had in my lifetime. Until now.

The runaway inflation was under another Democrat - Carter. It took a Republican - Reagan - to bring it under control.

(SMH at the lib’s attempt to blame the inflation of the late 70s on a Republican, without mentioning the most inept president (Carter) we’ve had in my lifetime. Until now.

Carter didn't have the support of even his own party to get anything done he wanted to do. Carter wanted to actually solve the problems, even if it meant struggling a while to do it. But in the end, those problems, like inflation, would've been solved.
All Reagan did was kick the damn can by borrowing a buttload of money from China and the Federal Reserve, and made things look better. Along with 17 debt ceiling increases and 4 tax increases.

Yup, he did. By giving us one tax reduction and 4 increases. Plus raising the debt ceiling 17 times. Pumping a bunch of borrowed money into the economy.

Fact is, if America could struggled a few more years, we would've been a lot more independent. Financially and in all energy matters. The R & D's had dug us into a hole, and they wouldn't let Carter build the ladder out of it. So Reagan brought in bigger shovels.
THAT stale talking point, Yours Truly? (Yawn) Yes, Reagan had more tax increases than reductions but claiming he was a tax and spend politician is ridiculous. Overall Reagan was a tax cutter.
I'm curious...how old are you? Anyone that lived through Carter was GLAD to see him gone! The economy under Jimmy was awful!

Carter didn't have the support of even his own party to get anything done he wanted to do. Carter wanted to actually solve the problems, even if it meant struggling a while to do it. But in the end, those problems, like inflation, would've been solved.
All Reagan did was kick the damn can by borrowing a buttload of money from China and the Federal Reserve, and made things look better. Along with 17 debt ceiling increases and 4 tax increases.

You mean those handed to him by a Democrat Congress.........right?

'Joe Biden'

Anyone associated / a member of the Democrat Party up for election...

Nope.

What hands the midterms to the Republicans is that midterms ALWAYS go to the out of power party.

Then the GOP will remind everyone why they voted them out to start with. it's what happened in 1994 and 2010.

Now, it would be nice if we had an electorate with a memory span greater than a goldfish, but there you are.
Yep... idiot Pubs rinse-and-repeat.

Then... idiot Dems rinse-and-repeat.

And on and on and on ad nauseum...

For most people the big issue will be inflation (the economy).

But America has a shitload of problems to deal with right now.

As an Indie, I'd like to see:

* Illegal immigration stopped. Legal immigration numbers lowered, and those allowed in chosen more selectively. Assets only.

* BLM rioters and looters and criminals ARRESTED and sentenced to jail and given hefty fines. (And take away any government handouts and benefits they receive).

* Crack down on smash and grab thieves (and other criminals).

I hope the GOP takes over the House and Senate. But I pray they'll find some qualified, decent, and competent presidential candidates.

Absolutely NO MORE TRUMP type candidates. Anyone but Trump (and NONE of the nutty conspiracy clowns).

For most people the big issue will be inflation (the economy).

But America has a shitload of problems to deal with right now.

As an Indie, I'd like to see:

* Illegal immigration stopped. Legal immigration numbers lowered, and those allowed in chosen more selectively. Assets only.

* BLM rioters and looters and criminals ARRESTED and sentenced to jail and given hefty fines. (And take away any government handouts and benefits they receive).

* Crack down on smash and grab thieves (and other criminals).

I hope the GOP takes over the House and Senate. But I pray they'll find some qualified, decent, and competent presidential candidates.

Absolutely NO MORE TRUMP type candidates. Anyone but Trump (and NONE of the nutty conspiracy clowns).

The problem is inflation may be lower by the time election day is near. Rioting and looting are local issues. Trump tried to intervene and was denied permission (which he would need to get) by the Mayor's of those cities. They also hand pick DA's that allow the law to go soft on criminals and there's nothing a President can do about that. Most of the Walgreens in San Francisco closed up because the theft equaled or surpassed their profit margin.

I agree with you on the border. I think it's a silent killer because the MSM won't even look at the issue. Only Fox keeps tabs on what's really going on there like last week when they nabbed a suspected terrorist. I would be willing to bet most lefties know anything about it. But for people that do follow these things, they seethe in anger and silence.

It’s not COVID - the issue the Dems used to win last time.

It‘s inflation - both it’s actual impact on working and middle class people as well as the WH’s sometimes cavalier altitude toward it. (“Big deal. So your turkey will cost an extra $1.”)

Everyone agree with me that the issue is inflation?

It won't be inflation. Not one person will vote with that as their number one priority. It doesn't even matter to you. It helps to increase the value of property.
.You're just grasping at straws.
You are sounding like before trump was defeated with your cocksure disclosure he would win. That worked well.

It won't be inflation. Not one person will vote with that as their number one priority. It doesn't even matter to you. It helps to increase the value of property.
.You're just grasping at straws.
You are sounding like before trump was defeated with your cocksure disclosure he would win. That worked well.

You really don't believe that people don't think about inflation every single day; when they go to get gasoline, when they pay their home heating bills, when they go to the grocery store, even when they stop at a McDonald's?

I don't think it will be the main issue but to say nobody does is just pure ignorance. Families that live on fixed incomes view it quite differently because every dollar counts. What does inflation have to do with property value? If anything your house insurance will increase because it's law they have to provide enough coverage for total replacement loss. They base those costs on supplies (like lumber) and union scale construction wages.

It‘s inflation - both it’s actual impact on working and middle class people as well as the WH’s sometimes cavalier altitude toward it. (“Big deal. So your turkey will cost an extra $1.”)

I think the primary reason they lose is the same as the last time, they should have been dismissed from the country for good in 2020, but unfortunately 1/2 the population are lazy with the wisdom of spoiled children.

I take nothing for granted where elections are concerned, propaganda is too high, elections have the integrity of Vice President The Giggler, and FAR too many "citizens" are dumbed-down.

Last edited:
THAT stale talking point, Yours Truly? (Yawn) Yes, Reagan had more tax increases than reductions but claiming he was a tax and spend politician is ridiculous. Overall Reagan was a tax cutter.
I'm curious...how old are you? Anyone that lived through Carter was GLAD to see him gone! The economy under Jimmy was awful!

1 tax reduction and 4 increases does NOT make him a tax reducer. No matter what kind of screwy math you using. Remember VP's campaign speech, "No new taxes?" Because of all the spending that went on during Reagan, they had to create a new tax. And raise others.
Well, actually they could've just cut spending. But republicans don't EVER just cut spending.
Reagan was THE first president to ever spend $1 Trillion in one administration.

Reagan was all talk an no show.

he runaway inflation was under another Democrat - Carter. It took a Republican - Reagan - to bring it under control.

Except the runaway inflation started under Nixon, and the reason why it started was that Nixon decided the best way to pay for Vietnam and the Federal government was to print money like there was no tomorrow.

Yes, it continued under Carter, and Carter is the one who got the Fed to start tightening the money supply, resulting in a spike in unemployment that probably cost him a second term.

Reagan continued the policy of tight money, which is how you got a 11.3% unemployment rate. He also declared open war on unions, which meant he controlled inflation by destroying the middle class.

That's like getting rid of a mouse by burning down the house.

United States Inflation Rate

1640777345295.png

History is against the Dems, and they're not exactly attractive overall to begin with.

But that mandate thing that Biden tossed out... Bad, bad idea, especially with minorities.

Right, because we should just let people die based on opinion polls.

Oh, wait, that's backfiring on us now.

After SCOTUS bans abortion, I think a lot of people are going to wake up to how crazy the GOP is.

The biggie will be Inflation, with the China threat close behind, and the flood of Illegal Beaners running a modest but substantial third...

The biggie will be Inflation, with the China threat close behind, and the flood of Illegal Beaners running a modest but substantial third...

Assumes any of those will be a problem next year.

Here's why the Dems will probably lose the house.

1) Gerrymandering after the 2020 census (which was a clusterfuck that undercounted minorities)
2) Voter Suppression laws that will keep poor and minority people from voting
3) Low voter turnout, as always happens in midterms, unfortunately
4) The out of Power party almost always gains in midterms.

The good news is that the GOP will do what it always does... assumes that a midterm victory really means more than it does. This is what they did with Newt's Contract on America, this is what they did with Boehner's attempts to repeal Obamacare.

This is why Clinton and Obama got re-elected, and Newt and Boehner got forced out by their own caucuses.

McCarthy might be careful what he wishes for, he might get it.

The problem is inflation may be lower by the time election day is near. Rioting and looting are local issues. Trump tried to intervene and was denied permission (which he would need to get) by the Mayor's of those cities. They also hand pick DA's that allow the law to go soft on criminals and there's nothing a President can do about that. Most of the Walgreens in San Francisco closed up because the theft equaled or surpassed their profit margin.

I agree with you on the border. I think it's a silent killer because the MSM won't even look at the issue. Only Fox keeps tabs on what's really going on there like last week when they nabbed a suspected terrorist. I would be willing to bet most lefties know anything about it. But for people that do follow these things, they seethe in anger and silence.
And the reason that most leftists know nothing about it, of course, is because the liberal media they listen to hides it, of course, since it would reveal just how dangerous Biden’s incompetence (or worse….active support of the illegals) truly is.

Same thing about COVID. The lefties bragged about how they didn’t listen to a single one of Trump’s press conferences, in which he introduced teams working on therapeutics…..teams working on the vaccine….teams working on developing ventilators….etc., etc. And then the libs I spoke prior to the election said that Trump didn’t do a single thing about COVID (adding in how they were eager to get Biden in who would solve it).

An educated, uninformed electorate is the Democrats‘ best voter.

Forum List

Back