Whitehouse: Uninsured Rate at or Near Historic Lows

I want to make sure that I understand this. There are less people uninsured than ever before, which means that more people have access to necessary medical care, AND THE WORLD HAS NOT ENDED BECAUSE OF THIS? Say it isn't so, right wingers!

I want to make sure that I understand this. There are less people uninsured than ever before, which means that more people have access to necessary medical care, AND THE WORLD HAS NOT ENDED BECAUSE OF THIS? Say it isn't so, right wingers!

Everyone HAD access to medical care before.

Go back to living under your rock.

No, they just shifted them ONTO MEDICAD SO TAXPAYERS are still footing the bill. That's why ObamaCare should be called, OscamCare....and they always had access to heath care, be it free clinics, pay on you wages, etc

so stop blowing smoke up our ass

Pop, My 50 years in my health insurance career trumps your uninformed opinion on health insurance. I also spent 3 years working for a hospital at the end of my career, just so I would have insurance until Medicare kicked in. They paid me to evaluate and accept or reject people were there for cancer treatment and major heart surgery. I turned away hundreds...and we were the charity hospital of last resort in New Orleans. In fact, it was named, Charity Hospital.

No, they just shifted them ONTO MEDICAD SO TAXPAYERS are still footing the bill. That's why ObamaCare should be called, OscamCare....and they always had access to heath care, be it free clinics, pay on you wages, etc

so stop blowing smoke up our ass

Stephany, don't you have a tour of duty coming up spreading your cheer and upbeat attitude at a children's hospital somewhere?

Pop, My 50 years in my health insurance career trumps your uninformed opinion on health insurance. I also spent 3 years working for a hospital at the end of my career, just so I would have insurance until Medicare kicked in. They paid me to evaluate and accept or reject people were there for cancer treatment and major heart surgery. I turned away hundreds...and we were the charity hospital of last resort in New Orleans. In fact, it was named, Charity Hospital.

And this is what? An explanation of how many who have little or no need for medical services are benefiting from the outrageous costs associated?

I've seen a doctor 3 times in 35 years. Total cost was 700. Yet I pay the same in insurance costs as a diabetic?

Puleeze

Pop is a poster full of nonsense.

Vandal tells the truth, Pop lies because he is an ideologue and thinks he has no responsibility at all for others. I am glad you are healthy, but as long as you are in the American society, guess what, dude?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/12/18/2014-has-seen-largest-coverage-gains-four-decades-putting-uninsured-rate-or-near-his

2014 Has Seen Largest Coverage Gains in Four Decades, Putting the Uninsured Rate at or Near Historic Lows

Posted by Jason Furman, Matt Fiedler on December 18, 2014

Earlier this week, the National Center for Health Statistics released new data on health insurance coverage during the second quarter of 2014, the first federal survey data that largely capture the effects of the Affordable Care Act’s first open enrollment period. These new data confirm earlier findings that 2014 has seen dramatic reductions in the share of Americans without health insurance, reductions that correspond to an estimated 10 million people gaining coverage since before the start of open enrollment.

This progress is even more striking when viewed in historical context. Building on work by other researchers, the Council of Economic Advisers has constructed estimates of the share of Americans without health insurance extending back to 1963. These estimates show that the drop in the nation’s uninsured rate so far this year is the largest over any period since the early 1970s, years in which the Medicaid program was still ramping up and the Medicare and Medicaid programs were expanded to people with disabilities.

With this year’s decline, the nation’s uninsured rate is now at or near the lowest level recorded across five decades of data. Furthermore, new data out today on Medicaid enrollment and data on Marketplace plan selections from earlier this week show that progress in reducing the number of uninsured Americans is continuing.

This new evidence that the law is succeeding in expanding coverage joins evidence showing that the nation is making progress on the Affordable Care Act’s other core goals: making our health care system more efficient and improving the quality of care that patients receive. On costs, underlying growth in health care prices, premiums, and per-enrollee spending—the costs that matter to families—remains exceptionally slow, thanks in part to the law’s reforms. This is occurring even as the dramatic expansion in coverage puts temporary upward pressure on growth in aggregate health care spending. Meanwhile, the nation is making progress on quality as well. Preliminary data released earlier this month showed that the rate at which patients are harmed when receiving hospital care has fallen 17 percent from 2010 through 2013, corresponding to an estimated 50,000 avoided deaths and $12 billion in savings over that period.

<snip>

I wonder how many of them are cheering once they realize that the deductibles/copays are sky high?

Yep, that's the way it works - if you have/had a low premium/low benefit policy, your out of pocket expenses will be higher than if you buy a higher premium/higher benefit policy - welcome to the world of 'how stuff works', but according to the USAToday "Health care spending in the U.S. grew last year at the lowest rate ever recorded, due in part to the Affordable Care Act, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services said Wednesday.", "The most recent increase was the lowest since the government started tracking health expenditures in 1960."

If you or an acquaintance were stupid enough to pay for an insurance policy that never paid for any of your healthcare costs because it only paid for catastrophic healthcare, blame yourself but-----but now with the final implementation of all the parts to Obamacare just around the corner, Factcheck says: "Most who faced a premium increase elected to stay with the plan anyway. But 16 percent of all those on the individual market switched plans and ended up paying 3 percent less on average than they had before. That group also may have been motivated by more substantial price increases — KFF’s survey found the plan-switchers had faced an average premium increase of 31 percent.
That market was also one in which consumers could be denied coverage, or charged higher rates, for preexisting health conditions. Insurers are no longer allowed to deny coverage or base premiums on health status, so there’s no longer that risk in shopping around."

If you don't like slower cost increases and an increase in the size of the insurance pool, tell the lazy Republican congress to fix it - it should be fun watching the Republicans twisting themselves into pretzels trying to tell the American public; not keeping their children on their health insurance plan and telling the American public that after they've paid premiums for years they're not covered because they didn't tell the insurance company about their pre-existing condition of, for example, acne when they were teenagers, or slower rises in health insurance cost is as bad for them as lower gas prices. If Republicans want to fix Obamacare so it works even better, I for one will support their effort and-----and if the Republicans decide 'single payer is the best fix - I'm all in.

And this is what? An explanation of how many who have little or no need for medical services are benefiting from the outrageous costs associated?

I've seen a doctor 3 times in 35 years. Total cost was 700. Yet I pay the same in insurance costs as a diabetic?

Puleeze

Which would you rather be?

The person who pays for insurance and never needs it or the diabetic?

Puleeze

The person free to make his own choice

Puleeze

So you have it under good advice that you will never need medical care for the rest of your life

So, your theory is that only "sick people" need health insurance

Puleeze

So you have it under good advice that you will never need medical care for the rest of your life

With my history for medical care, that which subsidized others for 35 years, the question is moot.

Puleeze

With my history for medical care, that which subsidized others for 35 years, the question is moot.

It only takes one serious illness

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones

Puleeze

You have it: pay the mandate.

Puleeze

You have it: pay the mandate.

Freedom escapes you

Forum List

Back