Who is Shopping Thanksgiving Day?

I feel bad for the people that are forced to work that day when they should have the day off.

Hmmm...in this country no one is "forced" to work....it is a choice...the business is not a slave master but an employer....both have the choice to work or to not work....freedom baby....

Just to clarify, it's not much of a "choice" if one is told that they are scheduled, and not coming in would be grounds for dismissal.

Yeah, that's called having a job and paying your dues.

I worked holidays for years. I was happy to work those days. We scheduled our family times around it. I got paid extra, and holidays were always a walk in the park at work.

I don't know why it's so terrible for someone who makes minimum wage to have the same holiday as someone who runs the company. Holidays are a cultural thing, not an individual day off.

I feel bad for the people that are forced to work that day when they should have the day off.

Hmmm...in this country no one is "forced" to work....it is a choice...the business is not a slave master but an employer....both have the choice to work or to not work....freedom baby....

Just to clarify, it's not much of a "choice" if one is told that they are scheduled, and not coming in would be grounds for dismissal.

Yeah, that's called having a job and paying your dues.

I worked holidays for years. I was happy to work those days. We scheduled our family times around it. I got paid extra, and holidays were always a walk in the park at work.

I don't know why it's so terrible for someone who makes minimum wage to have the same holiday as someone who runs the company. Holidays are a cultural thing, not an individual day off.

I suppose that we should give all the hospital workers the day off?

How about firemen? Should they all have the day off?

Get real, elitist nitwit.

Prison guards? Juvenile detention workers? Vetrinarians?

Last edited:
I think the best policy is for everybody to close down on Turkey Day excluding emergency services and convenience stores so the drunks can get refills and the airheads get what they forgot to watch football and have din din. And when they hit a light pole on their way back home, there's an EMT to get their blood type and an ambulance to get them to help. Most hospitals are staffed by foreign born doctors who don't have a clue about what T-Day means to us so they can work the shifts when ordinary Americans are....eating and watching football...and trying to ignore the prog vegan running her mouth and the uncle who cuts the cheese and blames it on the family dog.

thanksgiving033.gif

Last edited:

I'm sorry, do you understand the idea of minimum wage jobs?

RETAIL, koshergrl, RETAIL jobs. Things that aren't essential for society for the day. Like you on any given day.

Btw, charm school was a wasted investment on you.

Oh so you want to lay off all retail workers on holidays.

That will certainly help their paychecks. I'm sure they'll be real grateful.

What a ding dong.

What a ding dong.

Money spent on charm school should have gone to a literacy tutor.

This thread is not about "laying off" people. It is about giving employees, at bare minimum, a choice at whether or not they want to work. At most, count me in the number that wouldn't mind at all that stores be closed on holidays, so that most people can enjoy them with loved ones. This idea that we need someplace to buy batteries 24/7 is a symptom of a society that expects instant gratification.

What a ding dong.

This thread is not about "laying off" people. It is about giving employees, at bare minimum, a choice at whether or not they want to work. At most, count me in the number that wouldn't mind at all that stores be closed on holidays, so that most people can enjoy them with loved ones. This idea that we need someplace to buy batteries 24/7 is a symptom of a society that expects instant gratification.

American workers already have a choice. They can choose to work, or not.

Ding dongs like you tell them not to.

But those of us who have worked hard all our lives and depend on nobody to support us...we encourage others to work as well. It builds character, and allows you to be your own master.

Instead of a pathetic progressive slave.

It is about giving employees, at bare minimum, a choice at whether or not they want to work.

It all depends on the type of work....some jobs give people a choice and they work it out amongst the staff....but...the world isn't perfect...I used to work every night, weekend and holiday when I was working at that hotel.....you do what you have to...and as Koshergrl says...it does build character...it teaches you lessons about driving on and doing what you have to do...and you know what...when it does become your turn to get that holiday off...you appreciate it more....

It is about giving employees, at bare minimum, a choice at whether or not they want to work.

It all depends on the type of work....some jobs give people a choice and they work it out amongst the staff....but...the world isn't perfect...I used to work every night, weekend and holiday when I was working at that hotel.....you do what you have to...and as Koshergrl says...it does build character...it teaches you lessons about driving on and doing what you have to do...and you know what...when it does become your turn to get that holiday off...you appreciate it more....

You write to me as if I've never worked a holiday. Yes, you do what you have to do. I disagree that everyone has to do it as some character-building exercise. Family time isn't (shouldn't be) a luxury. Neither is celebrating one's culture.

What a ding dong.

But those of us who have worked hard all our lives and depend on nobody to support us...we encourage others to work as well. It builds character, and allows you to be your own master.

You write to me as if I've never worked a holiday. Yes, you do what you have to do. I disagree that everyone has to do it as some character-building exercise. Family time isn't (shouldn't be) a luxury. Neither is celebrating one's culture.

I didn't say that everybody had to do it.

I said all Americans have a choice. And it's none of your business if they choose to work on holidays. Who are you to force them to engage in state-approved *cultural* activities? Screw you.

I want to work on Christmas!

What a ding dong.

I didn't say that everybody had to do it.

I said all Americans have a choice. And it's none of your business if they choose to work on holidays. Who are you to force them to engage in state-approved *cultural* activities? Screw you.

I want to work on Christmas!

God, you're a moron. I said nothing about "state-approved cultural activities." That is from your twisted, paranoid imagination.

Most people want to celebrate their holidays with family. I would prefer employers give their employees a real choice as to whether or not they work a holiday, not just schedule employees and threaten them with firing if they don't want to work.

If you want to work on Christmas, then you certainly should. Probably a relief to your family.

Tow truck drivers. (That was me, then it was my wife.)

Hmmm...ricechickie.....why don't you start your own business and then you can give your employees those holidays off....

Really- why would he?

The only ones who want to see these documents are people who are hoping to find dirt.

No one else cares.

And the ones that want to find dirt, will never be satisfied if Obama releases additional documents- they will claim that they are forged, or that there is a cover up or whatever.

We have seen this with the birth certificate- even with the STate of Hawaii saying that he was born in Hawaii, they make up elaborate fictions on how we can't trust the State of Hawaii......

So once again- why should President Obama act any differently than every previous President- and provide documents that no previous President has provided.

What is all the fuss? He could release his papers and then whenever someone says something, he can tell them to eff off.

So once again- why should President Obama act any differently than every previous President- and provide documents that no previous President has provided

Because people are requesting documentation. Why shouldn't all presidents be required to release requested information? They work for US, and not the other way around.

They don't work for you or me. Sorry- that is just not true- they work for the United States.

We the people get to decide every 4 years who gets to be President- if we don't believe that they have provided us enough information, then we can choose not to vote for them.

In 2012- neither Obama or romney released their school records.

The voters choose Obama.

And he has no obligation to provide you anything.

And he shouldn't waste his time.

I feel that he most certainly DOES have an obligation to me as the POTUS. If I was an employer and I wanted to see a particular employees qualifications, then YES, I am entitled to see that! Same thing here. He has no right to refuse or delay releasing such information, as he is OUR employee.

Hmmm...ricechickie.....why don't you start your own business and then you can give your employees those holidays off....

Hmmm, Billc, I've got a job that gets holidays off, hence my presence here this morning. Besides that, just how easy do you think it is just to start a business? And do you think those who manage to start successful businesses have earned the right to ride roughshod over their employees? Pay them as little as possible? Schedule them for excessive hours? And the answer to dissatisfied employees is "start your own business"?

What would be the effect if we all stayed home this year and didn't shop? Would that be a blow to the economy? It would be something to see.

Forum List

Back