Why an atheist

So you agree with me that diversification is quite natural and that there are varying perceptions on just about everything.
Only on things for which there is no good method of telling what is true. Thanks for making me repeat myself.
What about the rest? That just because there are varying perceptions, that is not a reason for negation. Because reality is what it is even if everyone doesn't agree on what it is.

So you agree with me that diversification is quite natural and that there are varying perceptions on just about everything.
Only on things for which there is no good method of telling what is true. Thanks for making me repeat myself.

I am glad you agree that there is no method for telling what is true or false, regarding religious mythology. My work is done here.
How do you define what a good method is for discovering truth? Do you even believe truth can be discovered?

I am glad you agree that there is no method for telling what is true or false, regarding religious mythology. My work is done here.
How do you define what a good method is for discovering truth? Do you even believe truth can be discovered?
I am just glad you agree. My work is done.

Yes, I agree that diversification is quite natural and that there are varying perceptions on just about everything. And just because there are varying perceptions, that is not a reason for negation. Because reality is what it is even if everyone doesn't agree on what it is.

Does science state truths? How do you determine what is true?

, I agree that diversification is quite natural and that there are varying perceptions on just about everything
Neato! And you agree there is no method for telling what is true and false, in religious mythology. I know you like to pretend there is, so your full agreement is a bit of a surprise.

, I agree that diversification is quite natural and that there are varying perceptions on just about everything
Neato! And you agree there is no method for telling what is true and false, in religious mythology. I know you like to pretend there is, so your full agreement is a bit of a surprise.
No. I don't agree with that. If that were true there would never be anything discovered that was true. Truth is discovered through a conflict and confusion process. Diversity of thought is critical to that process. Eventually error will fail and the truth will be discovered. That's the method.

It's really hard to argue against reality is what it is even if everyone doesn't agree on what it is because it's true.

Just like it is hard to argue against that diversification is quite natural and that there are varying perceptions on just about everything. Because that is true too.

The reason we know those statements are true is because if there was an error in those statements those statements would fail and could be proven to have failed.

That's the process for discovering truth. Error fails. Truth doesn't.

Most people are handed their religious beliefs like an inheritance, something you are given as a family heirloom and never question. Consequently I believe that most of our everyday Christian beliefs are quite shallow. Even those who seem devout have never really given their religion the kind of attention it needs.

I come from a non religious family, with no religious relatives. Of course God was always there but simply as a picture on the wall, nothing to make it real. It was like getting up in the morning, you always do it but it hasn't any real meaning in your life.

Like so many high schoolers I began to question, but I began to question what I was not taught. Why was it that so many people seemed to believe in god and I did not? I began to read and would continue to do so for the next couple of decades.

I am not passing myself off as a bible scholar. Nor am I saying that those years were spent in intensive academic study, nothing like that. Now and then I would simply read books, mostly histories of biblical times that traced the evolution of Christian beliefs as events unfolded. The faith continues to evolve even today. It always seemed to be a question of "change or die", and change it did.

So unlike many true believers, who view the bible as a constant, I see the Bible being constantly "reinterpreted" in order not to fall victim to current events.

What the fanatics like fail to realize is that the Bible made less history than it followed. They go to "bibel collage" swallowing whole the dogma of their particular bent. Never realizing that the "never changing" faith they profess to hold bears little resemblance to the same faith of a couple hundred years ago. To question is to blaspheme and that is never good.

I am now finished questioning. It has been over for very long time. I still read now and again but it is pretty much over. Been there, done that. I have reached a conclusion and now all that matters is that I keep reasonably current. I try to pay attention to new thoughts but I don't need to constantly rehash the old.

I wish it had turned out otherwise. I really wanted to believe but I could not settle for blind belief. Everyone knows, or should know, that there is not one objective fact to support the existence of a god, any god.

I suppose, like most things, there are many routes to atheism. I have no idea. I only know a couple of people who say they are atheists. I know for sure that it is difficult for believers and atheists to have a civil discussion. I have no idea why that is. Perhaps because religion needs faith, blind faith, and it seems to me that an atheist must be a questioner.

Oddly enough, some of the best discussions I have had were with a Lutheran Pastor.

All I do know is that we should not put everyone in the same bag. There are good and bad people in every belief system. Some of the best folks I know are Christians. Some of the worst folks I know are Christians. As I said, I don't know enough atheists to matter.

So to all those of faith out there who use their beliefs to better their lives and the lives of others I say, "good for you". To all those who use their faith as a place to reinforce their hatreds and bigotry I say, "Damn you"!
Anyone that has read and understands the Bible can't see how a book over 2,500 years old can predicts the future without an error can't be accident. They don't make odds like that. Besides if I'm wrong no lost. If an Athirst is wrong there are no do overs.

if we're not looking for Truth, we'll never find it ...
If you are only looking at Christianity, then it seems like you have already claimed to find it. Why not Astrology? Zoroastrianism? Voodoo?
I don't believe that ReinyDays comment was limited to Christianity. I certainly didn't take it that way. My take on Christianity is that it teaches how to see reality. Which is one of my favorite things about it. There is a sense of joy and peace when one no longer has a preference for an outcome.
Christianity teaches how to see reality??
Are you kidding? That's an oxymoron.
There's nothing about religion which his real. The whole thing is a hoax and a big con.

What outcome are you talking about?
Your expecting to go to heaven?
You're delusional.

If you are only looking at Christianity, then it seems like you have already claimed to find it. Why not Astrology? Zoroastrianism? Voodoo?
I don't believe that ReinyDays comment was limited to Christianity. I certainly didn't take it that way. My take on Christianity is that it teaches how to see reality. Which is one of my favorite things about it. There is a sense of joy and peace when one no longer has a preference for an outcome.
There's nothing about religion which his real. The whole thing is a hoax and a big con.

You're delusional.
Sure it does. It teaches to die to self and have no preference for an outcome. That's how one sees reality.

All outcomes.

Me expecting to go to heaven? No way. I'm no saint.

Delusional? No. I just don't have a preference for an outcome is all. I am free. It feels great. You should try it.

You're delusional.
Sure it does. It teaches to die to self and have no preference for an outcome. That's how one sees reality.

All outcomes.

Delusional? No. I just don't have a preference for an outcome is all. I am free. It feels great. You should try it.
My crucial point was you said religion teaches reality. There is no God and never has been. There's no heaven etc.
It's total rubbish so don't start anticipating outcomes as a result of your faith.

You're delusional.

All outcomes.

My crucial point was you said religion teaches reality. There is no God and never has been. There's no heaven etc.
It's total rubbish so don't start anticipating outcomes as a result of your faith.
God is reality. Without God there is no existence. Sorry. But putting that aside the only way I know how to see reality is to die to self and have no preference for an outcome. Then you are free to see things as they are and not how you want them to be.

If that were true there would never be anything discovered that was true.
Then you read my comments wrong, as i was only talking about religious mythology.
I would say my statement applies to all things. As objective truth is reality.

reality: the world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.

I would say my statement applies to all things.
Neat. But mine did not and clearly does not apply to all things. I made to give a very specific example, knowing what you would attempt. Silly me. You did it anyway.

Besides if I'm wrong no lost.
That's where you're wrong. For one, you might suffer for eternity for believing in the wrong god. You know, the same threat that caused you to place your little bet. Oops, nobody ever thinks that one through. It's as if people are so enthralled by the idea of Pascal's Wager that their brains shut off immediately.

And we haven't even gotten into the waste of lives and minds caused by following silly magical mythology

Forum List

Back