Why Are American Voters So Uninformed?

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
Why Are American Voters So Uninformed?​

By Tyler Durden
January 29, 2013

The sad fact is that it appears completely rational to be ignorant about politics. The cost of being an 'informed' voter - as opposed to a bigotted closed-minded ignoramus - is high, from the time spent following (and interpreting) the news in the paper, online, and on the television. As the following clip notes, "becoming an informed voter is competing with a lot of other needs in your life," from American Idol watching to eating Cheetos in the bath. Of course, the sad truth is that it has never been more important to be 'informed' and so the 'bread-and-circuses' will continue lest we stumble upon the truth - but perhaps this brief clip will sway a few more to the dark side of 'the informed' - though just because 'you' are better-informed does not mean politicians will do a better job - as the probability of your vote changing the outcome of an election is for all practical purposes, zero!

Video
]

Read more:
[URL="http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-29/why-are-american-voters-so-uninformed"]http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-29/why-are-american-voters-so-uninformed

It's simple.

Americans under the age of 30 get their news from Comedy Central and those over 30 get their news from ABC, NBC, and CBS.

A lot of American women get their news from Good Morning America and TODAY.

Ignorance is plentiful.

Wehrwolfen, I've seen the threads you post on here. And I've seen the sources you post from. You're just as bad as an uninformed voter, you're a misinformed voter.

Why?

Ray McGovern, a retired CIA agent whose expertise was the old Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc countries says the propaganda coming out of Fox News is at the same level as Pravda. But I suspect most Russians knew Pravda was propaganda.

Because they watch TV and don't check what they hear against the record.

and keep in mind, over the four years when Butthead ran for re-election, he never brought up any of the most concerning issues. Gee, remember when Butthead had his panties in an uproar over the 4/5 trillion Bush added to the debt? he never brought it up after 2009, or the unfunded liabilities,the fact that thanks to him, every American owes 50,000, every new born owes 200,000, and hmm, butthead never mentioned anything about the importance of Jobs and the Economy!

It's simple.

Americans under the age of 30 get their news from Comedy Central and those over 30 get their news from ABC, NBC, and CBS.

Ignorance is plentiful.

"If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” Winston Churchill

We have a very low literacy rate.

Yes we do and ot's because of Progressive Liberal teachers who do NOT teach. Most kids graduating High School today can't read, spell or do simple math. Of course the Progressive Liberal teachers do tell their students that Oblamer is the messiah. Obama hm, hm, hm, hm...

Maybe if some voters would stop depending on guys-on-the-internet, with handles like Tyler Durden, for their information,

they wouldn't be so ignorant.

It's simple.

Ignorance is plentiful.

Those under 30 years of age revel in loud profanity as expressed by the clowns on the Comedy Network.

The idiot whose ears are as lopsided and out of normality, as his views, the clown who has to convince fellow idiots about the "proper" pronunciation of his name, or the other similar idiot who has not even got the guts to use his own name.

And these pathetic and sorry excuses for humanity have the gall to judge and criticize FOX News!!

It's simple.

Ignorance is plentiful.

"If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” Winston Churchill

Churchill never said that. Are you aware that Winston Churchill is the father of the modern welfare state?

The American Scholar: The Forgotten Churchill - George Watson

By Tyler Durden
January 29, 2013

The sad fact is that it appears completely rational to be ignorant about politics. The cost of being an 'informed' voter - as opposed to a bigotted closed-minded ignoramus - is high, from the time spent following (and interpreting) the news in the paper, online, and on the television. As the following clip notes, "becoming an informed voter is competing with a lot of other needs in your life," from American Idol watching to eating Cheetos in the bath. Of course, the sad truth is that it has never been more important to be 'informed' and so the 'bread-and-circuses' will continue lest we stumble upon the truth - but perhaps this brief clip will sway a few more to the dark side of 'the informed' - though just because 'you' are better-informed does not mean politicians will do a better job - as the probability of your vote changing the outcome of an election is for all practical purposes, zero!

Video
]

Read more:
[URL="http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-29/why-are-american-voters-so-uninformed"]http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-29/why-are-american-voters-so-uninformed

Three primary reasons, our education system, fact that they are too lazy to read, and no longer question what they see on the nightly news.
One clear fact remains if they were informed, those sitting in the seats of power in Washington would be looking for work.
Freedom can only be realized and preserved when those entrusted with the responsibility to vote investigate and think about all sides of an issue before they formulate an opinion.

herrkarl.gif

Porky Rove

"He’s America’s Joseph Goebbels."

Why?

Ray McGovern, a retired CIA agent whose expertise was the old Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc countries says the propaganda coming out of Fox News is at the same level as Pravda. But I suspect most Russians knew Pravda was propaganda.
Wow from his mouth!!!

Well, the stance that I was making is that Hillary Clinton is a person who has been an admirer of every war she has heard of. She was a great supporter of the Iraq war even though she knew better, because I told her, what a catastrophe it would be. She is a great supporter of the Afghanistan war, where many thousands of people have met their deaths, and she is in the forefront of agitating for war on Iran, and that comes through in her speech here.

But how was he handled by THE GOP evil mastermind Rumsfeld???

RAY McGOVERN: You said you knew where they were?

DONALD RUMSFELD: I did not. I said I knew where suspect sites were, and we were —

RAY McGOVERN: You said you knew where they were, "near Tikrit, near Baghdad, and northeast, south and west of there." Those were your words.

DONALD RUMSFELD: My words — my words were — no, no, no, wait a minute! Let him stay one second. Just a second.

RAY McGOVERN: This is America, huh? Go ahead.

DONALD RUMSFELD: You’re getting plenty of play, sir.

RAY McGOVERN: I’d just like an honest answer.

DONALD RUMSFELD: I’m giving it to you.

RAY McGOVERN: We’re talking about lies and your allegation that there was bulletproof evidence of ties between al-Qaeda and Iraq. Was that a lie or were you misled?

DONALD RUMSFELD: Zarqawi was in Baghdad during the prewar period. That is a fact.

RAY McGOVERN: Zarqawi, he was in the north of Iraq, in a place where Saddam Hussein had no rule. That’s where he was.

DONALD RUMSFELD: He was also in Baghdad

Retired CIA Analyst Ray McGovern Takes on Rumsfeld Over Justification for Iraq Invasion

Why did he get beat up at a Hillary speech but was able to talk to Rumsfeld???

Just asking???

Back to the thread's topic.
I think that people who are married to an ideology tend to be uninformed. Ideologues typically get their news from ideological driven resources and suck in ideological opinions. They are missing out on having the opportunity of getting the other side of the story with an open mind. This process prohibits these folks to be totally informed because they have already shut off all of the available information.

Most Americans work, spend their free time-being free, raise their families and live their lives.
Politics in a democracy is a big complex business. Even politicians that have devoted their lives to understanding the political scene get confused. Obama, who taught the constitution, is accused of not understanding it, as does the poster.
The schools attempt to teach the structure of government with little politics, to mainly disinterested students. For a teacher to insert politics into lessons can invite problems so it's the structure of governemnt. "We have three branches...." But these students become adults and can educate themselves or take a political science course, but by that time, the political parties, the talking pundits and friends have completed our politicial education.

Forum List

Back