Why Can't Felons Have Guns?

Follow me for a minute here.... If you commit a crime, and go to prison and serve your sentence, isn't that called "paying your debt to society"? You have been punished, and now you are a felon.

Fine.

But WHY is your right to bear arms taken away? Felons are the one who most likely live in high-crime, drug infested areas. The exact type of place where you NEED a gun! Remember, the felon has already paid for his crime.

Why disarm a member of society who needs a gun for self-defense the most?

Your Thoughts..

It's to condition us all that taking arms away from all of us will magically make us safer.

aside from that, it's unconstitutional.

LMAO

Hoos! Honestly? Your first comment felt "realer", and the second comment felt like some P.C. crap you shoved down my throat to appease a sensitive newbie!

LOL

Both points well taken!

:)

Follow me for a minute here.... If you commit a crime, and go to prison and serve your sentence, isn't that called "paying your debt to society"? You have been punished, and now you are a felon.

Fine.

But WHY is your right to bear arms taken away? Felons are the one who most likely live in high-crime, drug infested areas. The exact type of place where you NEED a gun! Remember, the felon has already paid for his crime.

Your Thoughts..

It's to condition us all that taking arms away from all of us will magically make us safer.

Felons have no Constitutional right to firearms

Felons have already demonstrated their inability to conduct themselves in a civilized manner.

The last thing they need is access to firearms.

It seems like a good idea. We try to keep crazy people from owning guns and we extend that concept to persons who have shown that they have no regard for the rules and regulations that make a society function. It might not be fair to some felons but that's tough shit.

Fine.

Your Thoughts..

All Americans do.

Liberals just want to pretend they passed a law that did something, while people with free thinking skills; "He's a convict. He knows where to get a gun at any moment, what a stupid and useless law."

It's unconstitutional, but you've been conditioned.

All Americans do.

Liberals just want to pretend they passed a law that did something, while people with free thinking skills; "He's a convict. He knows where to get a gun at any moment, what a stupid and useless law."

It's unconstitutional, but you've been conditioned.
Interesting point

Why don't you take it to the courts and see what they say?

Fine.

Your Thoughts..

Is it okay for a convicted murderer, who has 'paid their debt' to go and buy a gun, even though they killed someone with a gun?

Are you insane?

Ok, I can understand if their crime was involving a gun. But let's say...ummmm.... stealing a car.. grand larceny, or drug possession. Now, we as society, take away a constitutional right from them? What other constitutional rights should we take away from other people who paid for their crimes?

Should Martha Stewart be forced to wear a jacket that says "CROOK" the rest of her life in public?

What happens when the person gets a gun and hijacks a car, or robs someone at gunpoint for drugs?
Sorry, but if you have been convicted of a crime that has caused physical harm to another person, you should not be allowed to own a gun.

Fine.

Your Thoughts..

I think it has something to do with repeat offenders.

Another thing, if you live in drug infested areas it doesn't mean you have to be walking around at 2 in the morning looking for trouble. This whole area where I live has drugs, meth, crack cocaine, you name it. That doesn't mean I have to shoot anyone. Beside, you can defend yourself pretty well with a baseball bat if I need to.

I've known a few ex felons.

They all had access to guns.

Every one of them.

Without fail.

So does it really matter what the law says?

Not to them it didn't.

How would you feel about a couple of convicted child molesters who have "paid their debt to society" for 20 years apiece moving into your trailer with you, asswipe?

Um, I believe he was talking about keeping an inalienable right, not moving a child molester into someone's home.

Frankly, I can see it both ways. if we didn't have victimless crimes that can make one a felon, I'd agree with the current law. A violent offender has revoked their ability to own arms. But there are a lot of non-violent offenders who make the felons list. In which case, it's deplorable to remove their rights simply because the system is completely lop-sided.

The way its is now, the bar is pretty low. I never saw the feds ban drunks from owning guns, hell, they barely do anything to you for drunk driveing. But if you had a dust up in the bar parkinglot and spent a knight in jail for it no guns. The NRA can be thanked for thelaw.

Fine.

Your Thoughts..

I think it has something to do with repeat offenders.

Another thing, if you live in drug infested areas it doesn't mean you have to be walking around at 2 in the morning looking for trouble. This whole area where I live has drugs, meth, crack cocaine, you name it. That doesn't mean I have to shoot anyone. Beside, you can defend yourself pretty well with a baseball bat if I need to.

Nope. Felony of any type. Some places will take them away for dui to, but most don't.

I've known a few ex felons.

They all had access to guns.

Every one of them.

Without fail.

So does it really matter what the law says?

Not to them it didn't.

Maybe not....but if they get caught they return to prison

So, its a case of "Do you feel lucky today?"

Ok, I can understand if their crime was involving a gun. But let's say...ummmm.... stealing a car.. grand larceny, or drug possession. Now, we as society, take away a constitutional right from them? What other constitutional rights should we take away from other people who paid for their crimes?

Should Martha Stewart be forced to wear a jacket that says "CROOK" the rest of her life in public?

What happens when the person gets a gun and hijacks a car, or robs someone at gunpoint for drugs?
Sorry, but if you have been convicted of a crime that has caused physical harm to another person, you should not be allowed to own a gun.

how about a bat

should the violent offender be allowed to own a bat

or a knife

what about a golf club

How would you feel about a couple of convicted child molesters who have "paid their debt to society" for 20 years apiece moving into your trailer with you, asswipe?

Um, I believe he was talking about keeping an inalienable right, not moving a child molester into someone's home.

Frankly, I can see it both ways. if we didn't have victimless crimes that can make one a felon, I'd agree with the current law. A violent offender has revoked their ability to own arms. But there are a lot of non-violent offenders who make the felons list. In which case, it's deplorable to remove their rights simply because the system is completely lop-sided.

"Inalienable right"? Last time I looked, our Declaration of Independence defined inalienable rights as follows: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

I don't see gun ownership in there . . .

how about a bat

should the violent offender be allowed to own a bat

or a knife

what about a golf club

If the bat is legally defined as a billy, then no - he can't own it. Nor can anyone else. Same for a knife.

Get real.

Forum List

Back