Why can't states pass gun laws ?

Because states cannot ignore the US Constitution or the 2nd amendment. States also cannot take away your right to free speech or force a religion on you.

Actually, they could.

After ratification, several states had state supported religions.

They were never challenged by the Federal Government.

They were long gone when the 14th was ratified.

But not because they were challenged.

The states themselves chose to write them out.

Clarence Thomas recently hinted that such support today would be constitutional.

Considering current case law I would seriously doubt that.

Yes, I get that.

But no matter what you doubt, that a SCOTUS judge would hint at such a thing informs that the crapp associated with the supposed "separation of church and state" started out as a federal thing only.

There is no difference in the 2nd.

Most states put that same language in their constutitons. What did they know that we don't ?

What gets me, in the 1947 ruling Black cited Jeffersons letter instead of the incorporation doctrine in one of the earliest rulings on church and State.

As far a the 2nd goes, this is what the TX Constitution says.

Sec. 23. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.

Because states cannot ignore the US Constitution or the 2nd amendment. States also cannot take away your right to free speech or force a religion on you.

Actually, they could.

Clarence Thomas recently hinted that such support today would be constitutional.

Case law changes every time the Court replaces Judges. Most of the time, anyway. It will certainly change wit the next two Trump appointments.

We can only hope.

My state Constitution says the Right to Keep, and Bear Arms shall NOT BE QUESTIONED.

Thank You !!!!!

I feel that is probably the correct answer.

An appeal to the 2nd is an appeal to a fallacy absent incorporation (which sucks and is somehow derived from the 14th amendment in an ambiguous fashion....14th passed around 1865....incorporation started sometime in the early 1930's. They must have been really stupid back then).

One possible path is to examine the legality of the 14th, and the other Amendments passed under the Chase Court 1860-1872. They contradictory rulings of that farce of a Court are many, no surprise given it was the most corrupt and crooked Court in our history.

I'd have to do a lot of research to even comment on that.

Well, technically it was still the Taney Court until he died in 1864, he was still Chief Justice, but the southern judges had all resigned and Lincoln got to pack the Court beginning in 1861. But it is highly questionable how they arrived at votes from the southern states on those Amendments; they aren't really remotely legal, and the issue of secession was never actually addressed by the Court to begin with. That's for the very good reason that secession wasn't illegal, and nobody ever thought it illegal in the entire history of the country since 1787.

And, we know Madison and many others at the 1787 Convention specifically rejected granting the Federal government to use military force against a state for any reason. The Union was to be voluntary. In fact the first states to start using threats of secession as a tool for bargaining were the New England states, and the remained true for some 4 decades after ratification.

Actually, they could.

Case law changes every time the Court replaces Judges. Most of the time, anyway. It will certainly change wit the next two Trump appointments.

Let's hope so !!!!!!

May Ginsburg keel over tomorrow if not tonight.

The left is terrified of another Roe case. The know there is a good chance it gets overturned. Now then it returns to the states where most will pass laws allowing abortions (we really are morally bankrupt). But states like Kansas would be free to shut them down.

The right has been quitely hemming in Roe with small state laws that make it harder....

The left won't challenge them because they are worried it will get to the SCOTUS.

Ginzburg needs to be impeached, and so does Sotomayor.

The constitution was designed to limit the federal government. Not the state governments.

Why can't my state take my guns away ?

Because it would breach your second amendment rights.

The Bill of rights only protects us from the federal government.

2nd amendment rights are inalienable, they cannot be taken away, they also cannot be given up.
Try taking that 'right' outside the U.S.
'Rights' are something you can/are able to exercise. When you cannot, they don't exist. Inalienable is a fancy term for conditional.
You just highlighted the difference that makes the US unique

In the US rights are yours simply because you exist in other countries they are treated as privileges to be given and revoked at the whim of the government

This is why US citizens should be defending the Bill of Rights not trying to tear it apart

In the U.S. rights are yours until someone with more force imposes limitations.

All 'rights' are human expressions of intent and subject to human interpretation, change, modification. That is reality. If someone has a problem with 'God' given rights, it should be taken up directly with 'God'.
It was nice in America when we had more 'rights'. S.C.rulings about random stops, "Patriot" law controls, and general refusal on the part of so many in society to accept responsibility for their choices and actions have whittled down liberties. Where did these 'inalienable' features go?

My state Constitution says the Right to Keep, and Bear Arms shall NOT BE QUESTIONED.
Mine too but there are groups including organizations from other states (Bloomberg for example) that have spent millions of dollars in support of bills which eventually were passed into law which consistently whittle away at the resident's gun rights.

I saw in the news the other day where now they're advocating for physicians to make inquiries about weapons in their patient's homes. Some of them are already playing God so giving them jurisdiction over this matter cannot be good from my perspective.

Mine too but there are groups including organizations from other states (Bloomberg for example) that have spent millions of dollars in support of bills which eventually were passed into law which consistently whittle away at the resident's gun rights.

I saw in the news the other day where now they're advocating for physicians to make inquiries about weapons in their patient's homes. Some of them are already playing God so giving them jurisdiction over this matter cannot be good from my perspective.

it's that kind of nazi approach that needs to shouted from the rooftops. Total and utter bullcrap to use doctors to pry into our personal lives.

Bloomburg need a good burst of rocksalt.

The constitution was designed to limit the federal government. Not the state governments.

This should be interesting based on the moronic question. So many errors. Where to start?

Well, please take a shot at it.

BTW: If there is something wrong with my questions, I don't mind you pointing it out. But my name is nor DeanRD so it pisses me off when you use the term moronic.

it's that kind of nazi approach that needs to shouted from the rooftops. Total and utter bullcrap to use doctors to pry into our personal lives.

Samples

Doctors come together to address gun violence as public health issue

June 20, 2018

Coalition of public health agencies, including UW Medicine's Harborview Injury Prevention & Research Center, issue statement to the media.

Leaders of 10 public health agencies and professional group announced plans to do more to prevent gun-related injuries and deaths, including asking patients whether they own guns and screening them for risk of using a gun in suicide.

"As healthcare providers, we recognize firearm-related injury and death as a public health epidemic," they said.

Their statement was released at a press conference covered by KNKX and KIRO radio.

In Washington, 682 people died of gunshot wounds in 2016. Suicides accounted for three-quarters of all gun deaths in the state

The coalition called for more local and statewide research that could help identify those at risk of gun violence and evaluate the effectiveness of policies designed to prevent it. And the coalition recommended that medical professionals respect the beliefs of lawful gun owners.
----
Your Washington Doctor May Soon Ask If You Own A Gun
Washington doctors say they plan to do more to prevent gun-related injuries and deaths, including asking patients whether they own guns and screening them for risk of using a gun in suicide.

Leaders of 10 public health agencies and professional groups, including the Washington State Medical Association and the Washington State Nurses Association, announced the effort in a statement Tuesday.

"As healthcare providers, we recognize firearm-related injury and death as a public health epidemic," the statement said.

Dr. Jeff Duchin, health officer for Seattle and King County's public health agency, said the coalition plans to release guidelines to doctors on how to screen patients for risk of gun-related death and talk to them about it.

"The mass shootings, the increase in suicides has re-energized a lot of the community, the public health community and the medical community, to say, 'We need to do better,'" Duchin said.

In Washington, 682 people died of gunshot wounds in 2016. Suicides account for three-quarters of all gun deaths in the state.
-----
Boundary Violation
Boundary Violation: Gun Politics in the Doctor’s Office

Imagine this scenario: you visit your doctor for back pain. Your doctor asks if you have firearms in your home. Then he announces that your family would be better off (especially your children) if you had no guns at all in your house. You leave the doctor’s office feeling uneasy, wondering what guns have to do with your backache. Does your doctor care about your family’s safety? Or instead, did he use your trust and his authority to advance a political agenda?

American families may soon find themselves in this scenario. Social activists are taking their war on gun ownership to a new battleground: the doctor’s office.(1) The American Medical Association (AMA)(2), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)(3), and American College of Physicians (ACP)(4) are urging doctors to probe their patients about guns in their homes. They profess concern for patient safety. But their ulterior motive is a political prejudice against guns and gun owners. And that places their interventions into the area of unethical physician conduct called boundary violations.

Doctor-patient sex
is the most well-known and sensational example of a boundary violation. More recent literature recognizes a wide variety of non-sexual violations.(5) These cover such issues as finances, confidentiality, and gratification of the doctor’s needs. Although boundary violations were first addressed in the psychiatry literature, it has become clear that they also occur in general medical practice.(6)

Boundaries in the doctor-patient relationship derive naturally from the relationship’s fiduciary nature. In general, “treatment boundaries can be defined as the set of rules that establishes the professional relationship as separate from other relationships and protects the patient from harm. A patient who seeks medical or psychiatric treatment is often in a uniquely dependent, anxious, vulnerable, and exploitable state. In seeking help, patients assume positions of relative powerlessness in which they expose their weaknesses, compromise their dignity, and reveal intimacies of body or mind, or both.”(7)

Thus compromised, the patient relies heavily on the physician to act only in the patient’s interest and not the physician’s. A doctor must put the patient’s needs before his own. But a physician reverses the priorities when because of passionate political beliefs he tries to influence his patient against guns. This physician puts his own need to “do something” about the perceived evil of guns before the needs of his patient. He crosses the line from healer to political activist. Such doctor-on-patient political activism is recognized in Epstein and Simon’s Exploitation Index(8) as a boundary violation.

Just as some physician sexual transgressors may insist their sex relations with a patient are therapeutic, the activist doctor may protest that he only seeks to prevent “gun violence.” However, the conduct of the medical activists strongly indicates that their interest in patients’ guns is political, not therapeutic.

The AAP, ACP, and AMA are members of the Handgun Epidemic Lowering Plan (HELP) Network, based in Chicago. HELP is an exclusive advocacy group dedicated to banning guns. Physicians who disagree with HELP’s anti-gun agenda are barred from attending HELP’s conferences, a policy unthinkable in any scientific organization. HELP’s founder and leader Dr. Katherine Christoffel has compared guns to viruses that must be eradicated.(9) The group’s militant advocacy has no place for differing viewpoints on firearms, and apparently neither do the medical organizations which have signed on as HELP members.

Last edited:
Just because a doctor, or doctor's form asks a question doesn't mean you have to answer it. It is nobody's business if someone legally owns firearms.

Samples

June 20, 2018

Coalition of public health agencies, including UW Medicine's Harborview Injury Prevention & Research Center, issue statement to the media.

Leaders of 10 public health agencies and professional group announced plans to do more to prevent gun-related injuries and deaths, including asking patients whether they own guns and screening them for risk of using a gun in suicide.

"As healthcare providers, we recognize firearm-related injury and death as a public health epidemic," they said.

Their statement was released at a press conference covered by KNKX and KIRO radio.

In Washington, 682 people died of gunshot wounds in 2016. Suicides accounted for three-quarters of all gun deaths in the state

The coalition called for more local and statewide research that could help identify those at risk of gun violence and evaluate the effectiveness of policies designed to prevent it. And the coalition recommended that medical professionals respect the beliefs of lawful gun owners.
----
Washington doctors say they plan to do more to prevent gun-related injuries and deaths, including asking patients whether they own guns and screening them for risk of using a gun in suicide.

Leaders of 10 public health agencies and professional groups, including the Washington State Medical Association and the Washington State Nurses Association, announced the effort in a statement Tuesday.

"As healthcare providers, we recognize firearm-related injury and death as a public health epidemic," the statement said.

Dr. Jeff Duchin, health officer for Seattle and King County's public health agency, said the coalition plans to release guidelines to doctors on how to screen patients for risk of gun-related death and talk to them about it.

"The mass shootings, the increase in suicides has re-energized a lot of the community, the public health community and the medical community, to say, 'We need to do better,'" Duchin said.

In Washington, 682 people died of gunshot wounds in 2016. Suicides account for three-quarters of all gun deaths in the state.
-----
Boundary Violation

Imagine this scenario: you visit your doctor for back pain. Your doctor asks if you have firearms in your home. Then he announces that your family would be better off (especially your children) if you had no guns at all in your house. You leave the doctor’s office feeling uneasy, wondering what guns have to do with your backache. Does your doctor care about your family’s safety? Or instead, did he use your trust and his authority to advance a political agenda?

American families may soon find themselves in this scenario. Social activists are taking their war on gun ownership to a new battleground: the doctor’s office.(1) The American Medical Association (AMA)(2), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)(3), and American College of Physicians (ACP)(4) are urging doctors to probe their patients about guns in their homes. They profess concern for patient safety. But their ulterior motive is a political prejudice against guns and gun owners. And that places their interventions into the area of unethical physician conduct called boundary violations.

Doctor-patient sex
is the most well-known and sensational example of a boundary violation. More recent literature recognizes a wide variety of non-sexual violations.(5) These cover such issues as finances, confidentiality, and gratification of the doctor’s needs. Although boundary violations were first addressed in the psychiatry literature, it has become clear that they also occur in general medical practice.(6)

Boundaries in the doctor-patient relationship derive naturally from the relationship’s fiduciary nature. In general, “treatment boundaries can be defined as the set of rules that establishes the professional relationship as separate from other relationships and protects the patient from harm. A patient who seeks medical or psychiatric treatment is often in a uniquely dependent, anxious, vulnerable, and exploitable state. In seeking help, patients assume positions of relative powerlessness in which they expose their weaknesses, compromise their dignity, and reveal intimacies of body or mind, or both.”(7)

Thus compromised, the patient relies heavily on the physician to act only in the patient’s interest and not the physician’s. A doctor must put the patient’s needs before his own. But a physician reverses the priorities when because of passionate political beliefs he tries to influence his patient against guns. This physician puts his own need to “do something” about the perceived evil of guns before the needs of his patient. He crosses the line from healer to political activist. Such doctor-on-patient political activism is recognized in Epstein and Simon’s Exploitation Index(8) as a boundary violation.

Just as some physician sexual transgressors may insist their sex relations with a patient are therapeutic, the activist doctor may protest that he only seeks to prevent “gun violence.” However, the conduct of the medical activists strongly indicates that their interest in patients’ guns is political, not therapeutic.

The AAP, ACP, and AMA are members of the Handgun Epidemic Lowering Plan (HELP) Network, based in Chicago. HELP is an exclusive advocacy group dedicated to banning guns. Physicians who disagree with HELP’s anti-gun agenda are barred from attending HELP’s conferences, a policy unthinkable in any scientific organization. HELP’s founder and leader Dr. Katherine Christoffel has compared guns to viruses that must be eradicated.(9) The group’s militant advocacy has no place for differing viewpoints on firearms, and apparently neither do the medical organizations which have signed on as HELP members.

Imagine this scenario: you visit your doctor for back pain. Your doctor asks if you have firearms in your home.

Imagine this scenario: I tell my doctor to fuck off and fix my back.

Samples

June 20, 2018

----

-----
Boundary Violation

Doctor-patient sex

Imagine this scenario: you visit your doctor for back pain. Your doctor asks if you have firearms in your home.

I was thinking the same thing.

Samples

June 20, 2018

----

-----
Boundary Violation

Doctor-patient sex

I might ask him what his favorite sex position is with his wife.

He'll ask me how that is any of my business.

I'll say "excactly".

Sun Devil 92

1. The 14th amendment basically extended rights and protections of individual citizens from federal govt to state govt as well. The Civil Rights act extended this farther to public institutions.

2. The conflict that remains is over semi public semi private institutions that cross the line into grey areas of law

3. Same reason states have problems with marriage laws. These involve conflicting beliefs and have to reflect and represent all the ppl of that state or it violates the civil rights and equal protections of dissenting citizens. It has to reflect a real solution all those voters and taxpayers agree to and consent to pay for or they will argue it's unconstitutional

Because it would breach your second amendment rights.

The Bill of rights only protects us from the federal government.

The 2nd is in the bill of rights..

The Bill of Rights only protects us from the Federal Government.

What insight is am to gain from your comment.
LOL right?
States can constitutionally rid us of due process, religion, speech, unlawful seizures.. basically, they can do whatever they want and everyone else just has to sit back and watch :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back