Why can't we learn from Benghazi?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
Obviously no one is going to suffer for screwing up but since that is going to be true why can't we just examine what happen so we can learn from it and not be in the position where this is repeated in the future? That would seem like the most constructive course of action we can take from this point forward.

SD, you are correct.

We will never waste millions on millions on spurious investigations for partisan ideological advantage.

• Banned
SD, you are correct.

We will never waste millions on millions on spurious investigations for partisan ideological advantage.

I wouldn't mind 'wasting millions' of figuring out what should be done to avoid this in the future.

Obviously no one is going to suffer for screwing up but since that is going to be true why can't we just examine what happen so we can learn from it and not be in the position where this is repeated in the future? That would seem like the most constructive course of action we can take from this point forward.

We have learned a lot about Benghazi. Unfortunately, that hasn't been publicized much. Read any of the several investigation reports. They all came up with about the same things.

Why? I believe that the answer is quite simple, or, as George Santayana stated "Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it". Look around you. Have we learned anything at all?

• Banned

Why? I believe that the answer is quite simple, or, as George Santayana stated "Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it". Look around you. Have we learned anything at all?

I was just saying that perhaps their should be a public discussion on what should be done to prevent this in the future. So far, it seems like some kind of organizational problem since people couldn't get the help they needed for whatever reason. What is that reason and once it is known we can figure out a way to prevent that from happenning in the future.

• Banned

Like Watergate?

The irony about watergate is that the crime Nixon was accused of doing was so incredibly minor. No one died because of his transgression. The truth is is that the democratic party didn't like it when someone was snooping around their stuff.

I was just saying that perhaps their should be a public discussion on what should be done to prevent this in the future. So far, it seems like some kind of organizational problem since people couldn't get the help they needed for whatever reason. What is that reason and once it is known we can figure out a way to prevent that from happenning in the future.

I served in the Army for a little over 21 years. Served in Viet Nam as an Infantryman and later as a Counter-Intel Investigator. When I served, after every "action" there were a variety of "After Action Reports" and I'm fairly certain that there have been hundreds - by the people that were there (at least the ones that didn't die). Remember, there was a CIA Operations center there with (I believe) some 75 personnel.

Each one of those personnel were debriefed REPEATEDLY on "who, what, when, and why". The military was NEVER the problem - the problem existed within the State Department.

My question would be - Have THEY learned anything from the debacle and my answer would be yes. Doesn't help the people killed, but there you go. Could it happen again? Doubtful. Benghazi was a known "hot spot". There was no Marine Contingent there (as there is in all other embassies) and the security was woeful. I am not going to rehash the whole thing, it is over.

However, if the State Department has NOT learned from this - they should all be fired and replaced.

Like Watergate?

The irony about watergate is that the crime Nixon was accused of doing was so incredibly minor. No one died because of his transgression. The truth is is that the democratic party didn't like it when someone was snooping around their stuff.

You are absolutely correct. But that doesn't matter. If it is a conservative that has done something, ANYTHING, the left goes apeshit crazy. If it is a liberal democrat - Who cares?

Good advice. I'm glad you finally see what's really important in all of this. Too bad it took so long for you to get it.

Like Watergate?

You are absolutely correct. But that doesn't matter. If it is a conservative that has done something, ANYTHING, the left goes apeshit crazy. If it is a liberal democrat - Who cares?

no need to worry about conservatives doing a damn thing ..

Congress setting new bar for doing nothing

SD, you are correct.

Over 13 hours of fighting, and who rescues the Americans at the CIA covert base?

If only that had been the objective from the beginning.

Of course we should learn from what went wrong in Benghazi and take steps to prevent similar mistakes in the future.

It is what we did after the Beirut bombing.

Like Watergate?

Beirut- 1983- 220 Marines die in the barracks bombing- 6 months after our embassy in Beirut is bombed.

Unlike the GOP after Benghazi, the Democrats who controlled Congress held hearings and DID not blame Ronald Reagan.
Did not go apeshit crazy.

Forum List

Back