🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why did the Jewish God slaughter innocent babies?

The Jewish God killed all of the first born of Egypt to punish the Pharoah for enslaving the Israelites.
Some of these were innocent babies, no more than a year old.
How can a loving God do this?
Was there no better punishment? In all of his grace and wisdom, baby murder was the most appropriate punishment?
Why not just kill the Pharoah?
Why do Jews follow such a bloody and aggressive God???
The same reasons that Christians and Muslims follow the Jewish God.

Christians do not follow the Jewish god, we wouldn't know which one to follow.They had many.
You should crack open a Bible.

Even Bible mentions other gods that the early Hebrews may have worshipped.

However, Jews worship only one God.

you are getting mired in semantics

The Jewish God killed all of the first born of Egypt to punish the Pharoah for enslaving the Israelites.
Was there no better punishment? In all of his grace and wisdom, baby murder was the most appropriate punishment?

Because the Egyptian babies weren't innocent was my rabbi's answer.

Tanach says the descendents of certain sins are culpable for the ancestor's transgressions. Thus in the case of Egypt, the children were as equally guilty as their parents.

One of many reasons I quit being religous and gave up on the very idea of gods. :)

ok --don't be bitter. There seems to be an assumption that "first borns" meant babies----most babies are not "first borns". Remember the whole story---the Egyptians killed all NEW BORN BOYS---<<< that means babies. First borns can be 90 years
old-----besides----its LITERATURE----
Interesting note in there. Moses had a brother three years older and yet it was Moses they put in the river. I have a theory but it does not fit with what is stated in the Bible so I leave it as it stands.

I'm not bitter. Can only be bitter if you believe in a god or gods. I do not. Nor do I see the point of worshipping, obeying, and reverieing anyone or thing that slaughters babies en masse'. Even minus Egypt, there's other accounts of babies being slaughtered in the name of this evil deity. And evil it is. You'd have to ignore great swaths of the Bible to regard "God" as anythign but evil.

The same reasons that Christians and Muslims follow the Jewish God.

Christians do not follow the Jewish god, we wouldn't know which one to follow.They had many.
You should crack open a Bible.
And burn her fingers? :mad:

More Rape and Baby Killing

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Kill Men, Women, and Children

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

God Will Kill Children

The glory of Israel will fly away like a bird, for your children will die at birth or perish in the womb or never even be conceived. Even if your children do survive to grow up, I will take them from you. It will be a terrible day when I turn away and leave you alone. I have watched Israel become as beautiful and pleasant as Tyre. But now Israel will bring out her children to be slaughtered." O LORD, what should I request for your people? I will ask for wombs that don't give birth and breasts that give no milk. The LORD says, "All their wickedness began at Gilgal; there I began to hate them. I will drive them from my land because of their evil actions. I will love them no more because all their leaders are rebels. The people of Israel are stricken. Their roots are dried up; they will bear no more fruit. And if they give birth, I will slaughter their beloved children." (Hosea 9:11-16 NLT)

As to the rationale of killing the babies of Egypt,

Kill Sons of Sinners

Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants. (Isaiah 14:21 NAB)

Tanach says the descendents of certain sins are culpable for the ancestor's transgressions. Thus in the case of Egypt, the children were as equally guilty as their parents.

One of many reasons I quit being religous and gave up on the very idea of gods. :)

ok --don't be bitter. There seems to be an assumption that "first borns" meant babies----most babies are not "first borns". Remember the whole story---the Egyptians killed all NEW BORN BOYS---<<< that means babies. First borns can be 90 years
Interesting note in there. Moses had a brother three years older and yet it was Moses they put in the river. I have a theory but it does not fit with what is stated in the Bible so I leave it as it stands.

yes it does----the Egyptian plan was NOT
Kill the first born----it was "kill all new born males". read the book----you pulled a penelope

More Rape and Baby Killing

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Kill Men, Women, and Children

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple." So they began by killing the seventy leaders. "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded. "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!" So they went throughout the city and did as they were told." (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

God Will Kill Children

The glory of Israel will fly away like a bird, for your children will die at birth or perish in the womb or never even be conceived. Even if your children do survive to grow up, I will take them from you. It will be a terrible day when I turn away and leave you alone. I have watched Israel become as beautiful and pleasant as Tyre. But now Israel will bring out her children to be slaughtered." O LORD, what should I request for your people? I will ask for wombs that don't give birth and breasts that give no milk. The LORD says, "All their wickedness began at Gilgal; there I began to hate them. I will drive them from my land because of their evil actions. I will love them no more because all their leaders are rebels. The people of Israel are stricken. Their roots are dried up; they will bear no more fruit. And if they give birth, I will slaughter their beloved children." (Hosea 9:11-16 NLT)

As to the rationale of killing the babies of Egypt,

Kill Sons of Sinners

Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants. (Isaiah 14:21 NAB)

it's poetry, delta-dawn. Ever read Edgar Allen Poe?--------he was even more moody

Kill the first born----it was "kill all new born males". read the book----you pulled a penelope
My theory is that Aaron is Moses' half-brother, and that is not supported in the Bible. I also suspect that Moses was framed for the murder of the Egyptian, once again, straying off the reservation.

My theory is that Aaron is Moses' half-brother, and that is not supported in the Bible. I also suspect that Moses was framed for the murder of the Egyptian, once again, straying off the reservation.

My theory is that you do not appreciate fine literature

I know better than to call Poe "moody". :tongue-44: Guy was a dark and twisted loon. I like him already. :biggrin:

And the Bible is in a completely different category than literature. Words can not describe those words.

I know better than to call Poe "moody". :tongue-44: Guy was a dark and twisted loon. I like him already. :biggrin:

And the Bible is in a completely different category than literature. Words can not describe those words.

you seem damned moody yourself. ABSINTHE? a damned raven pecking
at you?

at you?
House of Usher fell on my head. Poe drank Absinthe? (I know nothing of Poe except through is writings.) Wasn't it Hemingway who was sitting on the southern coast of Spain every morning, him and his girlfriend enjoying a bottle of that stuff? Can't remember what book that was exactly.

at you?
House of Usher fell on my head. Poe drank Absinthe? (I know nothing of Poe except through is writings.) Wasn't it Hemingway who was sitting on the southern coast of Spain every morning, him and his girlfriend enjoying a bottle of that stuff? Can't remember what book that was exactly.

"sun also rises'?? Poe was a ABSINTHE
user -----and even mentions it somewhere in
THE RAVEN. Poe was into drugs and was
depressed and nutty----I think he died of TB

at you?

"sun also rises'?? Poe was a ABSINTHE
user -----and even mentions it somewhere in
THE RAVEN. Poe was into drugs and was
depressed and nutty----I think he died of TB
Indeed it was. Thank you. One can pretty much gather the drugs, depression, and nuttiness from the writings. A note, I read some reviewer state that no one knows what the phrase, "is there balm in Gilead?" refers to. That person must not have known their Bible very well.

He was the God of the Jews, not the Egyptians. ...

Could be interesting to know how many mistakes are existing in only this little sentence. I'm quite sure everyone had a chance - before the own intentional ignorance killed him and/or others. God gave them lots of chances and people inspired from his world warned and warned and warned ...

Nah, it's pretty accurate. Jews don't like to acknowledge their history much, as Judaism was a tribal religion, built around being The Chosen people and heavily racist in practice and theology. Many confuse it with the universality of Christianity, which was a reformed version that made it a universal theology inclusive of other peoplles, the main reason christians were persecuted by Jews for a long time after it began.

I don't know who would have been 'warned', since no other peoples could read the language nor speak it, and the Jewish priesthood was hereditary and most of the theology was taught orally and limited to a select few. they drew exhaustive and minute distinctions in class and racial purity. Their downfall as a people is due directly to their racial exclusiveness, which left them a small tribe over the centuries. their theology applied only to them, others not being 'worthy'.

The posts in this thread, as is often the case, switch back and forth between the god, in this case the God, and the followers. Simply two people speaking of two different focuses can sometimes cause dozens of posts with no resolution. Then again if there was ever resolution there would be an end of the USMB. No worry of that however, even after the world ends people with be arguing about it on the USMB. o_O

In order to follow God, you must accept that he is perfect, incapable of error.

This means accepting all he does and commands as perfect. If you don't agree with God, you are wrong, because God is perfect.

This does not mean you should not seek to understand, but, if you don't approve or agree with God's actions, you should not follow him. But there is a price to pay. An eternal one.

They weren't all innocent babies. First born was old to new.
Pharaoh kill the infants if Israel which was why moses was in that basket.

When all else failed it was a last resort that pharaoh would understand and let the enslaved Israelite go free

They weren't all innocent babies. First born was old to new.
Pharaoh kill the infants if Israel which was why moses was in that basket.

When all else failed it was a last resort that pharaoh would understand and let the enslaved Israelite go free

the biblical account of the ten plagues ----the tension inducing PROGRESSION of events constitutes a very fine example of that which makes the bible FINE LITERATURE. -----it is actually not meaningless and brutal-----in fact------while the Odyssey is also fine literature------it is more vacuously brutal than is the bible . Speaking of "VACUOUS" ---I will desist from commenting on the sequence of events presented in the Koran

Forum List

Back