Why Did Views on The Electoral College and Popular Vote Change?

The electoral college was put in place to give low population states a voice.
Really? I am of the opinion it was put in place to prevent too much democracy. 'Mob rule' I think it was called.
You may be right

The Troubling Reason the Electoral College Exists
Some claim that the founding fathers chose the Electoral College over direct election in order to balance the interests of high-population and low-population states. But the deepest political divisions in America have always run not between big and small states, but between the north and the south, and between the coasts and the interior.

But then there's also this:
If the system’s pro-slavery tilt was not overwhelmingly obvious when the Constitution was ratified, it quickly became so. For 32 of the Constitution’s first 36 years, a white slaveholding Virginian occupied the presidency.

I mean, Slick Willie Clinton never won the popular vote. Even candycorn was proud to post the electoral college results every time Obama got lambasted. As she included it in her signature

So what's different now?

-Geaux
trump-tweet-electoral-college.jpg

I mean, Slick Willie Clinton never won the popular vote. Even candycorn was proud to post the electoral college results every time Obama got lambasted. As she included it in her signature

So what's different now?

-Geaux
NO,

SIMPLY NOT TRUE Geaux...

Clinton won both the popular vote and the electoral college

In FACT every Democratic President in our History HAS WON THE POPULAR VOTE and the Electoral vote.

In recent History, the past 100 years, ONLY REPUBLICANS have won the Presidency, WITHOUT the Popular vote...

So, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

George W Bush and Donald J Trump did NOT win the popular vote.

So what's different now?

-Geaux

He did win the popular vote, dope.

Learn the difference between majority and plurality.

A popular vote win only requires a plurality of votes.

So what's different now?

-Geaux
Are you drunk this morning? Bill won the popular vote both elections.

View attachment 222139
View attachment 222140

I think he was trying to point out that he received a plurality of votes, but not a majority

A majority is not required to win the popular vote.

So what's different now?

-Geaux

View attachment 222139
View attachment 222140

I think he was trying to point out that he received a plurality of votes, but not a majority

WTF?

So what's different now?

-Geaux

View attachment 222139
View attachment 222140

That is not what he said, not even close. And Obama did win a majority both times.
Nice straw man.

-Geaux

Nice retarded thread premise.

Dude, what are you talking about? She was on the same ballot as any congressman, amendment, bill or referendum. Her name was on the ballot I cast. It didn’t have an X Next to it when I mailed it in however.

If you tell me your state I will give you the laws about the ballot. You *cannot* have voted for Hillary or Trump. Its not up to you. Only the electoral college can vote on a president.
Hillary Clinton got not one popular vote because people only vote for electors.

So what's different now?

-Geaux

View attachment 222139
View attachment 222140
Over 50% no

-Geaux

That is not what you said, one does not need to be over 50% to win the popular vote.
But in the current case, that's the beef... right?

Point being.. More people voted for Perot and Dole than did for Clinton

Why the shift?

-Geaux

No one is asserting that, dope.
There is no shift and no direct comparison to either the Gore or HRC elections.

Some of us have always opposed the electoral college system for being a useless vestige of the past.
That doesn't make us 'right' or 'left', it just means we have an opinion.
That is correct. It does not make you left or right. It just makes you wrong.

View attachment 222139
View attachment 222140
Over 50% no

-Geaux

That is not what you said, one does not need to be over 50% to win the popular vote.

Why the shift?

-Geaux

No, in the current situation it is that Clinton got more votes than Trump, not that it was not over 50%.

It is a stupid beef, but at least get it right if you are going to make a thread about it.
Never said she got over 50%

Care to answer the question asked within this thread?

-Geaux

Then how is anyone shifting their opinion if it's not a direct comparison, dope?

Why the shift?

-Geaux

No, in the current situation it is that Clinton got more votes than Trump, not that it was not over 50%.

It is a stupid beef, but at least get it right if you are going to make a thread about it.

Care to answer the question asked within this thread?

-Geaux

The question asked within this thread is based upon a lie that you posted. There is no question to answer as nobody is doing what you claim.
Bottom line is Dole and Perot received MORE of the popular vote than Bill Clinton did. So therefore, he lost the popular vote. I'm sure a golfing hack as yourself can understand that

-Geaux

No, dope.

Obviously a plurality is all that is required as he was a two term president.

Actually Clinton DID win the popular vote in both 92 & 96. . He did not exceed 50% of the PV, but got more than any other canidate.
He didn't gain a plurality, so the argument that he "didn't win the popular vote" is correct in substance, in the fact that more voted against him than in favor..
It is distinguished from the majoritysystem, in which, to win, a candidate must receive more votes than all other candidates combined. Election by aplurality is the most common method of selecting candidates for public office.

So what's different now?

-Geaux

View attachment 222139
View attachment 222140

WTF?

Problem?

Forum List

Back