Why do catholic priests wear dresses with doilies around the edges

Not one of you follow Jesus. You are the antithesis of Jesus. What would Jesus do? Turn the other cheek. :D

The funny thing is I am not even a Catholic. lol. Most of my family are Catholics, though.

So what "religion" do you follow?

I am an agnostic. Altruism and The Golden Rule are pretty much the defining attributes of my beliefs.

Ah, so then you are one of the reasonable. ;)

Interesting to note: only in Christianity is it frowned upon and called hateful to;
reject the golden calf[Baal],
reject the first fallen messiah
(Lucifer-Ezekiel 28), reject idols, reject the predated sign of death(cross-mark of the beast), reject Satan(adversary-at that time was Rome), reject the Devil (Rome's 2 horn system), reject the Harlot, reject the Mystery Babylon, even though these things are clearly layed out in their texts.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not one of you follow Jesus. You are the antithesis of Jesus. What would Jesus do? Turn the other cheek. :D

When Jesus said to turn the other cheek he was not saying that his followers should not defend themselves against violence, and he is not saying they should take crap from everybody.. It was a reference to " life for life, limb for limb, eye for eye, and tooth for tooth."

Being slapped isn't even on the list. In those days slaves were slapped around. To slap a person who was not a slave was seen as a humiliating insult, not an act of violence, for which people sought retribution in court. An insult is only a perceived injury, not an actual injury.

It amounts to Jesus saying, if someone insults you, let them insult you some more. It can't hurt you, so don't seek vengeance.

Its not like Jesus never insulted anybody. Almost everyone at the time was offended by the things he said and did. Sometimes the truth itself is an embarrassing affront to those who are deeply engaged in deception. That doesn't mean it should not be spoken.

Some people are so insecure and egotistical they feel that anything said to them is an Ad Hominem attack.... even when you just repeat what they say.

Last edited:
Why do catholic priests wear dresses with doilies around the edges?

Because little kids like to hide under tables and the priests tell them to hang on tightly to the center post.

When Jesus said to turn the other cheek he was not saying that his followers should not defend themselves against violence, and he is not saying they should take crap from everybody.. It was a reference to " life for life, limb for limb, eye for eye, and tooth for tooth."

Being slapped isn't even on the list. In those days slaves were slapped around. To slap a person who was not a slave was seen as a humiliating insult, not an act of violence, for which people sought retribution in court. An insult is only a perceived injury, not an actual injury.

It amounts to Jesus saying, if someone insults you, let them insult you some more. It can't hurt you, so don't seek vengeance.

Its not like Jesus never insulted anybody. Almost everyone at the time was offended by the things he said and did. Sometimes the truth itself is an embarrassing affront to those engaged in deception. That doesn't mean it should not be spoken.

Some people are so insecure and egotistical they feel that anything said to them is an Ad Hominem attack.... even when you just repeat what they say.
No, I'm pretty sure Jesus said "sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me". That was right after the first time the word "faggot" was ever used.

Its not like Jesus never insulted anybody. Almost everyone at the time was offended by the things he said and did. Sometimes the truth itself is an embarrassing affront to those engaged in deception. That doesn't mean it should not be spoken.

No, I'm pretty sure Jesus said "sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me". That was right after the first time the word "faggot" was ever used.

Then he took a piece of bread, gave it to his disciples and said, "eat this".

just goes to show, there are a million ways to say "fuck you".

Last edited:

Its not like Jesus never insulted anybody. Almost everyone at the time was offended by the things he said and did. Sometimes the truth itself is an embarrassing affront to those who are deeply engaged in deception. That doesn't mean it should not be spoken.

Stop making excuses for poor behavior. It is quite obvious that Jesus would never behave in the manner most of the people who claim to be "religious" behave.

In recent years, the cultural context of, "Turn the other cheek," has surfaced. In that culture, a backhanded slap was used to signify the dominant position. By the victim turning the other cheek, if slapped again, it would be an open-handed slap, signifying a strike between equals.

One of the best commentaries I've read on this noted that the commentator very much doubted that Jesus was preaching one upmanship. He saw turning the other cheek as an invitation for an appeal for a change of behavior in one's opponent--inviting the person who is denigrating someone to see the other person as another human being.

While I tend to think Jesus' audience appreciated the dilemma turning the other cheek placed the aggressor, without a doubt, the more gentle appeal of asking the aggressor to see his victim as human and treat him accordingly is in line with loving each other as we love ourselves.

Stop making excuses for poor behavior. It is quite obvious that Jesus would never behave in the manner most of the people who claim to be "religious" behave.

While that may be true nothing about how Jesus might or might not have behaved is obvious. In fact everything you assume to know about Jesus is false if you think that he never insulted anybody. The way I see it Jesus was quite ruthless about extirpating false doctrines and establishing the knowledge that he received from God among people. According to scripture he certainly didn't give a shit if someone got their feelings hurt in the process or didn't like it..

While that may be true nothing about how Jesus might or might not have behaved is obvious. In fact everything you assume to know about Jesus is false if you think that he never insulted anybody. The way I see it Jesus was quite ruthless about extirpating false doctrines and establishing the knowledge that he received from God among people. According to scripture he certainly didn't give a shit if someone got their feelings hurt in the process or didn't like it..

Oh, reinventing Jesus to fit your behavior. I call BS.

Go and read Luke 11:39-50, and then come back and tell me its BS.

Go and read Luke 11:39-50, and then come back and tell me its BS.

In the Gospel of Matthew, an alternative for "an eye for an eye" is given by Jesus: 38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the otheralso.

Forum List

Back