Why do democrats hate nuclear power again?

Three mile island was due to cost cutting in safety and low bid contracts.

If a plant is designed with safety in mind, and carefully inspected it would be fine.

why would i trust that the same cost cutting wouldn't be done by the next nuclear corporation? are you willing to bet your kids' lives on corporate morality? or security that would prevent a terrorist attack on nuclear facilites?

i wouldn't....

Please read the link I provided a few posts up about disposing nuclear waste (the one from The Week).

I appreciate the link. And Frum's opinion is interesting, but I suspect he'd be a bit less cavalier about radiation if the nuclear plant was built behind his house. he doesn't ever address HOW nuclear waste gets transported...which was one of the huge issues in terms of nuclear power.

And no one has yet addressed the risks of another Three-Mile-Island

once those issues are resolved, i suspect a lot more people would accept the concept of nuclear energy, in theory.

until then, I wouldn't live next to a nuclear plant. would you?

Actually, it has been addressed, quite often. Not to mention you are comparing very different levels of technology, scientific research, and understanding. Do you realize how many coal plants exploded and killed a lot more before they got those right? With nuclear we have done a thousand times better.

Please read the link I provided a few posts up about disposing nuclear waste (the one from The Week).

I appreciate the link. And Frum's opinion is interesting, but I suspect he'd be a bit less cavalier about radiation if the nuclear plant was built behind his house. he doesn't ever address HOW nuclear waste gets transported...which was one of the huge issues in terms of nuclear power.

once those issues are resolved, i suspect a lot more people would accept the concept of nuclear energy, in theory.

Actually, it has been addressed, quite often. Not to mention you are comparing very different levels of technology, scientific research, and understanding. Do you realize how many coal plants exploded and killed a lot more before they got those right? With nuclear we have done a thousand times better.

no... it hasn't been addressed...

and the person who HATES governmental oversight really has no business saying my kid should live near a nuclear plant because i should trust in the goodness of corporations.

yah... right. :cuckoo:

Three mile island was due to cost cutting in safety and low bid contracts.

If a plant is designed with safety in mind, and carefully inspected it would be fine.

why would i trust that the same cost cutting wouldn't be done by the next nuclear corporation? are you willing to bet your kids' lives on corporate morality? or security that would prevent a terrorist attack on nuclear facilites?

i wouldn't....
Jill, if this is your approach to life you might as well build a fallout shelter and bury yourself forever.

Solar and wind will never meet energy needs, nukes can, safely and easily and quite cheaply.

And I am in NY, Indian point, a nuclear plant supplies most of NYC's power and the plant is over 30 years old and has never had a problem.

Nuclear power was sold to us as the ultimate cheap power. It was going to be too cheap to meter, and totally safe. Instead, it turned out to be extroidinerly expensive, and, as Three Mile Island demonstrated, very dangerous when not regulated properly. The WHOOPS project in the Grays Harbor County demostrated the ease with which companies without competance can nearly destroy a group of utilities that try to build these tremendously expensive generating plants.

Yes, we have learned much since then, but one thing has not changed, and that is the determination of certain corperations to bilk the government of all that they can. From Morrison-Knutsen to Haliburton, we have seen the truth of that.

and the person who HATES governmental oversight really has no business saying my kid should live near a nuclear plant because i should trust in the goodness of corporations.

I recommend you look into nuclear power a lot more, that fear of yours is unfounded. ;)

There is the real concern. Corporations just can't be trusted. They'll screw it up. The government would have to do it. And do it right. And the right has about as much trust in the Gov, as the left does in corporations.

So tell me more about these new solar towers..............

There is the real concern. Corporations just can't be trusted. They'll screw it up. The government would have to do it. And do it right. And the right has about as much trust in the Gov, as the left does in corporations.

What has the government done right?

A whole lot of stuff.

Don't even start. We have the best government on the planet. We put shit on Mars and everything. It's pretty damn impressive.

:lol: I live five minutes from one that's been here for 30 years or so. I've lived in the area for 22+ years. No problems.

I see they took $2,000,000,000 out of the nuclear energy pool to fund the cash for clunkers extention...my question is why the nuclear power hate? It would get us off coal and stuff. Nuclear waste? Shoot it at the sun once or twice a year. Problem solved.
Are you sure? They are all for Nuclear power in Iran.

Its only the US that shouldn't have it.

A whole lot of stuff.

Don't even start. We have the best government on the planet. We put shit on Mars and everything. It's pretty damn impressive.

Social Security? Medicare?

FDA? Also you do realize that NASA has been failing these last couple of decades, right?

ATF? USPS?

The list of failure goes on. Your blind allegiance is disturbing.

A whole lot of stuff.

FDA? Also you do realize that NASA has been failing these last couple of decades, right?

ATF? USPS?

I'm not blind dear, it's called perspective. Our Government has been among the leaders in EVERYTHING on the planet for a very long time, from taking care of the elderly and the sick to delivering the mail. We're better at it than almost everyone.

A whole lot of stuff.

ATF? USPS?

I'm not blind dear, it's called perspective. Our Government has been among the leaders in EVERYTHING on the planet for a very long time, from taking care of the elderly and the sick to delivering the mail. We're better at it than almost everyone.

Think of it this way, once all the control goes to the government what would stop them from raising the prices? They could easily find a large number of excuses (like those used to raid SS) or take bribes (like the FDA does) to limit who can profit from it.

With many corporations running it the competition will keep the prices low, as long as the government doesn't have the power to just shut down companies without good reason, if the government doesn't answer to us first, they can shut down businesses just because another bribes them ... what's to stop that? Seriously ... how do you propose to keep the government from becoming corrupt after giving them absolute power?

ATF? USPS?

Think of it this way, once all the control goes to the government what would stop them from raising the prices? They could easily find a large number of excuses (like those used to raid SS) or take bribes (like the FDA does) to limit who can profit from it.

With many corporations running it the competition will keep the prices low, as long as the government doesn't have the power to just shut down companies without good reason, if the government doesn't answer to us first, they can shut down businesses just because another bribes them ... what's to stop that? Seriously ... how do you propose to keep the government from becoming corrupt after giving them absolute power?
Actually, I believe that a Nuclear power plant would fall under the rules and regulations of a "public utility".

In Sacramento, the Rancho Seco facility ended up being closed by a vote of the citizens that were part of the SMUD. (Sacramento Municipal Utility District)

I know because I had a job acceptance letter from them two weeks before they were voted to close. Sucked for Me because the Air Force wouldn't cancel My manpower reduction papers I signed.

Actually, I believe that a Nuclear power plant would fall under the rules and regulations of a "public utility".

In Sacramento, the Rancho Seco facility ended up being closed by a vote of the citizens that were part of the SMUD. (Sacramento Municipal Utility District)

I know because I had a job acceptance letter from them two weeks before they were voted to close. Sucked for Me because the Air Force wouldn't cancel My manpower reduction papers I signed.

Shush you, I was making a point. ;)

ATF? USPS?

Our Government is corrupt. But we have been able to store nuclear missiles effectively. We have been able to run nuclear subs, effectively. The only time we ever got close to a nuclear power disaster was in the hands of a private corporation.

Shush you, I was making a point. ;)
Oops.

Ah, nothing to see here . Move along....:razz:

Last edited:

Our Government is corrupt. But we have been able to store nuclear missiles effectively. We have been able to run nuclear subs, effectively. The only time we ever got close to a nuclear power disaster was in the hands of a private corporation.

Really ... so Three Mile was because a corporation was running it?

Really ... so Three Mile was because a corporation was running it?

Becasue of a corporation? I don't know. The meltdown didn't even happen. But yes, the plant was run by a private corp.

Forum List

Back