Why do the God-haters persist?

Do the overwhelming majority of humans believe in these, and have an overwhelming majority believed this since the inception of mankind? If not, we can't compare. Sorry.

They compare, sorry. As I already noted, Ogres, beasts, boogeymen have all shared time in the inventions of mankind.

And bear in mind (to borrow one of your pointless arguments), science has not disproven Ogres, beasts, boogeymen, Leprechauns etc., so as extant entities, they are equally as viable as your gods.

Thanks.

What's interesting in the history of mankind's creations of gods, not only were the Romans completely tolerant of other nation's gods, they actually assumed that the other gods were also true. Admittedly, they found the Egyptian gods more than a little weird, but they still considered them ancient, powerful and real.

As Rome became a multinational empire and Rome the city became an international city, many foreign gods and goddesses had their own shrines built in the capital city itself. Roman citizens could worship any national gods they chose, but it remained commonly accepted that gods were most powerful in their own countries, or their own small geographies. For example even in Rome itself, Jupiter, Optimus Maximus could not supersede the influence of the local gods (“Lares”) that each governed their own crossroads, or family hearth. While public worship of the borrowed Greek pantheon was a community exercise, each family reserved the inside of their homes for private worship of their own family gods.

And in a spectacular admission of the incompleteness of their knowledge, the Romans also worshiped “the unknown god.” This was essentially praying “to whom it may concern”, or "the gods to be announced at a later date" in the explicit knowledge that nobody had exclusive or complete knowledge of the real nature of the godhead. Admittedly, this idea was borrowed (along with the formal state pantheon) from the earlier Greeks. The Greeks even built a temple in Athens to this: Agnostos Theos.

This is what I call civilized.

The ancient Romans were among the most transcendently superstitious people in human history, ever more so than you. That is, of course, damning our own society with faint praise. We are also profoundly superstitious as a people. But we (for some inexplicable reasons) call our preferred superstitions "religions" and assign them a certain deference that it is not clear they deserve.

Yet, the Romans had no less faith in the auspices found in lighting from a clear sky or the conformation of the entrails of a goat than you have in prayer. Go figure.

Again, another "because I say so" argument.

And bear in mind (to borrow one of your pointless arguments), science has not disproven Ogres, beasts, boogeymen, Leprechauns etc., so as extant entities, they are equally as viable as your gods.

The only way they could be equally viable is if humans had predominately worshiped these over the course of human history. They haven't, so... nope. Still, you are correct, science can't disprove their existence so science can't say they don't exist. Curiously, we don't see a lot of you people on these boards fighting tooth and nail to disprove ogres and leprechauns.

But hey... thank you for pointing out some of the rich human history with regard to spirituality. It's just more evidence of a clear human spiritual connection which can't be denied. A connection that follows man back to his origins and has always been present.

Really bossy, I wouldn't define human inventions of bogeymen, ogres, beasts, etc., as especially demonstrative of "rich human history". You seem to forget that gods of natural disasters have been worshipped along with the gods of the sun, the moon and other "innocuous" gods. So it seems you once again (or as usual), refute your own argument. If seems the "spiritually connecting" that you claim man has done "back to his origins", has been done out of fear and ignorance of the processes that govern the natural world. Where is the "spiritual connection" with the various Greek gods? Is Hercules still lopping off the heads hydras and tossing boulders from mount Olympus? I suppose Benny Hinn (through his "spiritually connecting" with the gods), really is curing disease, making the blind see again an allowing the crippled to walk.

Praise jeebus.

Oh my. The boss is angry. Why is it that the hyper-religious react like petulant children scolded for bad behavior when their alleged gods are critiqued in a public debate forum? Really, bossy, did you expect a requirement that everyone must accept your utterly unsupported and outrageous claims to spirit realms, communications with the gods, etc., would be accepted with slacked-jawed enthusiasm?

So tell us boss, how has humanity been "spiritually connecting" with boogeymen, ogres, beasts, etc., when those entities are no less inventions of mankind than all the gods invented prior to the invention of your gods?

Oh puleeze! I'm not hyper-religious, I am NON religious. YOU are the one behaving like a petulant child who needs scolding. I've supported every argument I've made with factual evidence, and you have yet to make ANY argument that is supported with ANY evidence other than your opinion... yet you continue to deride others for "because I say so" arguments.

I do not expect everyone to accept there is a spiritual realm, I suspect about 88-90% will tell you there IS a spiritual realm, regardless of what I say or what you blather about. I don't know about "slack-jawed enthusiasm" you're the only slack-jawed hag in these parts, so I'll leave that up to you.

Let's see, why do humans not spiritually connect to creations of folklore? I don't know, maybe because those are not spiritual entities? That's why we don't see the Holy Church of the Leprechaun! (Sorry Notre Dame fans)

So what other superflous nonsense do you have to throw out there? Because my time is too valuable to waste on a washed-up and burned-out old hag who can't seem to formulate a coherent argument.

Really bossy, I wouldn't define human inventions of bogeymen, ogres, beasts, etc., as especially demonstrative of "rich human history". You seem to forget that gods of natural disasters have been worshipped along with the gods of the sun, the moon and other "innocuous" gods. So it seems you once again (or as usual), refute your own argument.

I wasn't talking about folklore, that was your straw man. I was referring to the Romans and Greeks recognizing a vast array of human spiritual beliefs. You see, man has always had a problem maintaining civilized society without spirituality. Seems that when we abandon spiritual connection, society breaks down and descends into chaos and anarchy. This is why you have no examples of vibrant Atheist societies, they cannot exist for long. Humans are animals, basically apes. When you remove spirituality, they essentially return to being apes and behaving as such. You are a classic example.

Do the overwhelming majority of humans believe in these, and have an overwhelming majority believed this since the inception of mankind? If not, we can't compare. Sorry.

They compare, sorry. As I already noted, Ogres, beasts, boogeymen have all shared time in the inventions of mankind.

Thanks.

What's interesting in the history of mankind's creations of gods, not only were the Romans completely tolerant of other nation's gods, they actually assumed that the other gods were also true. Admittedly, they found the Egyptian gods more than a little weird, but they still considered them ancient, powerful and real.

As Rome became a multinational empire and Rome the city became an international city, many foreign gods and goddesses had their own shrines built in the capital city itself. Roman citizens could worship any national gods they chose, but it remained commonly accepted that gods were most powerful in their own countries, or their own small geographies. For example even in Rome itself, Jupiter, Optimus Maximus could not supersede the influence of the local gods (“Lares”) that each governed their own crossroads, or family hearth. While public worship of the borrowed Greek pantheon was a community exercise, each family reserved the inside of their homes for private worship of their own family gods.

And in a spectacular admission of the incompleteness of their knowledge, the Romans also worshiped “the unknown god.” This was essentially praying “to whom it may concern”, or "the gods to be announced at a later date" in the explicit knowledge that nobody had exclusive or complete knowledge of the real nature of the godhead. Admittedly, this idea was borrowed (along with the formal state pantheon) from the earlier Greeks. The Greeks even built a temple in Athens to this: Agnostos Theos.

This is what I call civilized.

The ancient Romans were among the most transcendently superstitious people in human history, ever more so than you. That is, of course, damning our own society with faint praise. We are also profoundly superstitious as a people. But we (for some inexplicable reasons) call our preferred superstitions "religions" and assign them a certain deference that it is not clear they deserve.

Yet, the Romans had no less faith in the auspices found in lighting from a clear sky or the conformation of the entrails of a goat than you have in prayer. Go figure.

Again, another "because I say so" argument.

The only way they could be equally viable is if humans had predominately worshiped these over the course of human history. They haven't, so... nope. Still, you are correct, science can't disprove their existence so science can't say they don't exist. Curiously, we don't see a lot of you people on these boards fighting tooth and nail to disprove ogres and leprechauns.

But hey... thank you for pointing out some of the rich human history with regard to spirituality. It's just more evidence of a clear human spiritual connection which can't be denied. A connection that follows man back to his origins and has always been present.
This follows your own "because I say so" argument of talking to your own personal vision of god and having communication with it that is real, though you have also said it has no particular interest in you.
The only thing that can not be denied is man has always had the need to fill in the blanks where his knowledge has failed him. You believe that indicates a spiritual connection, but there is no indication that you or anyone else is connecting to anything that is actually there. All that can be confirmed is the need, not the object of the need.
You are descending into your typically ugly rhetoric of name calling which always makes me wonder what higher plain your god challenges you to attain.

KNOWLEDGE THAT THERE IS GOD IS PROGRAMED INTO HUMAN DNA. FOR ALL TIME PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD KNOW GOD IS!!! MAN'S BIG PROBLEM IS HE WANTED TO LIVE IN SIN AND REJECTED THE ONE TRUE GOD and chose to invent and follow demon inspired false gods!!

Really bossy, I wouldn't define human inventions of bogeymen, ogres, beasts, etc., as especially demonstrative of "rich human history". You seem to forget that gods of natural disasters have been worshipped along with the gods of the sun, the moon and other "innocuous" gods. So it seems you once again (or as usual), refute your own argument.

I wasn't talking about folklore, that was your straw man. I was referring to the Romans and Greeks recognizing a vast array of human spiritual beliefs. You see, man has always had a problem maintaining civilized society without spirituality. Seems that when we abandon spiritual connection, society breaks down and descends into chaos and anarchy. This is why you have no examples of vibrant Atheist societies, they cannot exist for long. Humans are animals, basically apes. When you remove spirituality, they essentially return to being apes and behaving as such. You are a classic example.

Actually, you were talking about folklore. There is nothing that separates bogeymen, ogres, beasts, etc., from conceptions of gods. They all represent human inventions that appeal to fear and superstition.

It's not surprising that your so-called "spiritual connecting" is just a burqa enshrouding the human capacity to assign dark and mysterious images to phenomenon they didn't understand.

What's not surprising is your assignment of self-hating and negative attributes to humanity just as Christianity does. Man is evil and base and in need of salvation through one or more gods. What is obvious is that mankind still, somehow, managed to survive and even build cultures well before the invention of your gods. In spite of the gods that may be needed to keep you under control, mankind still managed to avoid self-destruction from the base attributes to assign to it.

Take gods away tomorrow and humans would behave pretty much like they do with gods in place. We are a mixture of selfishness and cooperation and it serves us pretty well. Most people do behave morally.

You're welcome, someone needs to correct you when you're wrong. You can't say God does not exist, you have no evidence that God does not exist. You do not have science behind you. You've presented ZERO scientific evidence to support your FAITH that God doesn't exist. 90% of adults say God is real, and they've been saying this for all of human existence.

The evidence of god not existing is all over the place. I do have science behind me, science has not proven that god exist. I highly suggest you read the book God: The Failed Hypothesis-How Science Shows God Does Not Exist.

Where is your support for this 90% number from...I'm interested in seeing that poll.

Also 90% of children believe Santa Clause exist

Well, IF you have some evidence, show it motherfucker! Or shut your piehole. Science has not proven God doesn't exist. A book you want me to read is not going to prove God doesn't exist any more than your opinion.

It doesn't matter how many children believe in Santa, us adults who created Santa know he doesn't exist, and we've always known he didn't exist. 90% of humans believe in something greater than self. About 5% are Nihilists who believe in nothing and the rest are Atheists. Go research the worldwide data and see for yourself, if I am off by more than 5%, I'll apologize, but I am pretty sure this is accurate. Not only that, but this trend follows man back to his beginnings. Humans have ALWAYS been spiritually connected. A scant few miscreants such as yourself, CLAIM you don't believe in God. There are more fucking gay people on the planet than people like you.

Now you can sit here and run your fucking trash mouth all day and night, it's not going to change the fact that you have ZERO evidence that God does not exist. What YOU have is a FAITH-BASED belief that God doesn't exist. You are no different than some fucking holy roller. Find yourself a funny looking hat and develop a hymnal, and you'll have a religious cult!

Again...please post the link where you got this 90% number from. I'm interested in reading about it. If you are pretty sure it's accurate then you'll have no problem posting the link to the study.

I never said I don't believe in god...I said god does not exist...there's a difference. When you believe something you hold it at as true. I'm open to god proving me wrong, if he does in fact exist.

Actually, you were talking about folklore. There is nothing that separates bogeymen, ogres, beasts, etc., from conceptions of gods. They all represent human inventions that appeal to fear and superstition.

It's not surprising that your so-called "spiritual connecting" is just a burqa enshrouding the human capacity to assign dark and mysterious images to phenomenon they didn't understand.

What's not surprising is your assignment of self-hating and negative attributes to humanity just as Christianity does. Man is evil and base and in need of salvation through one or more gods. What is obvious is that mankind still, somehow, managed to survive and even build cultures well before the invention of your gods. In spite of the gods that may be needed to keep you under control, mankind still managed to avoid self-destruction from the base attributes to assign to it.

Take gods away tomorrow and humans would behave pretty much like they do with gods in place. We are a mixture of selfishness and cooperation and it serves us pretty well. Most people do behave morally.

OH!!!! WHAT EARLY MAN DO YOU KNOW OF THAT DID NOT KNOW THERE WAS GOD???? THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD IS PROGRAMED INTO HUMAN DNA!! you have no excuse, confess your sins and repent!!!

Oh my. The boss is angry. Why is it that the hyper-religious react like petulant children scolded for bad behavior when their alleged gods are critiqued in a public debate forum? Really, bossy, did you expect a requirement that everyone must accept your utterly unsupported and outrageous claims to spirit realms, communications with the gods, etc., would be accepted with slacked-jawed enthusiasm?

So tell us boss, how has humanity been "spiritually connecting" with boogeymen, ogres, beasts, etc., when those entities are no less inventions of mankind than all the gods invented prior to the invention of your gods?

Oh puleeze! I'm not hyper-religious, I am NON religious. YOU are the one behaving like a petulant child who needs scolding. I've supported every argument I've made with factual evidence, and you have yet to make ANY argument that is supported with ANY evidence other than your opinion... yet you continue to deride others for "because I say so" arguments.

I do not expect everyone to accept there is a spiritual realm, I suspect about 88-90% will tell you there IS a spiritual realm, regardless of what I say or what you blather about. I don't know about "slack-jawed enthusiasm" you're the only slack-jawed hag in these parts, so I'll leave that up to you.

Let's see, why do humans not spiritually connect to creations of folklore? I don't know, maybe because those are not spiritual entities? That's why we don't see the Holy Church of the Leprechaun! (Sorry Notre Dame fans)

So what other superflous nonsense do you have to throw out there? Because my time is too valuable to waste on a washed-up and burned-out old hag who can't seem to formulate a coherent argument.

Sorry, bossie. Incorporation of gods makes you religious.

Further, I found it to be comical when you wrote: "I've supported every argument I've made with factual evidence..."

I must have missed that "factual evidence" of gods, spirit realms, etc., that you insist you have provided "factual evidence" for. So don't leave me believing that you have falsified your comment. Where can I find this "factual evidence"?

OH!!!! WHAT EARLY MAN DO YOU KNOW OF THAT DID NOT KNOW THERE WAS GOD???? THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD IS PROGRAMED INTO HUMAN DNA!! you have no excuse, confess your sins and repent!!!

Our ancestors like chimps and gorillas.

YOUR "ancestors chimps and gorillas"!!! Really!!! I AM A son OF ALMIGHTY GOD!!! PTL.

First you have to prove they are our ancestors, good luck with that.

Why is it that only humans believe in and worship a God they have never seen but few do not worship this God ? Is this a product of evolution ?

Why do so few humans want to be with the same sex but thank God most do not because if we were all gay what would happen to the species ?

Last edited:
I don't suspect there is anyone alive from back then, or they probably would. Man has changed his incarnations but spirituality remains inherent in man. I don't have any invented Gods, I only have the one who I communicate with daily. That one is real and you're not going to ever make it unreal with your blather.

Not so. You "spiritual connections" with "spirit realms" has not been the "spiritually connecting" you blather on about.

Mankind has invented all manner of boogeymen, ogres, beasts, etc., for many reasons, but not to "spiritually connect" with them.

As to your daily communications with one or more gods, is that the whiskey talking?

"IF" YOU really want to hear GOD'S VOICE=READ HIS WORD.

I don't know for sure if phsychiatric care is covered by my health plan. I believe that if I was "hearing" god's words I might be a little stressed out about my mental health...and the cost of seeing a shrink.

Not so. You "spiritual connections" with "spirit realms" has not been the "spiritually connecting" you blather on about.

Mankind has invented all manner of boogeymen, ogres, beasts, etc., for many reasons, but not to "spiritually connect" with them.

As to your daily communications with one or more gods, is that the whiskey talking?

I don't know for sure if phsychiatric care is covered by my health plan. I believe that if I was "hearing" god's words I might be a little stressed out about my mental health...and the cost of seeing a shrink.

What if your shrink believes in the creator ? :D

Why is it that only humans believe in and worship a God they have never seen but few do not worship this God ? Is this a product of evolution ?

Why do so few humans want to be with the same sex but thank God most do not because if were to all be gay what would happen to the species ?

Chimps and humans come from the Hominin tribe where we're split into the genus of Homo(humans) and Pan(chimps)

Homininae

Ever since researchers sequenced the chimp genome in 2005, they have known that humans share about 99% of our DNA with chimpanzees, making them our closest living relatives
Bonobos Join Chimps as Closest Human Relatives | Science/AAAS | News

chimp_human_sediba_hands.jpg

Human%20Chimp%20Australo.gif

Why do so few humans want to be with the same sex but thank God most do not because if were to all be gay what would happen to the species ?

Chimps and humans come from the Hominin tribe where we're split into the genus of Homo(humans) and Pan(chimps)

Homininae

Ever since researchers sequenced the chimp genome in 2005, they have known that humans share about 99% of our DNA with chimpanzees, making them our closest living relatives

Similarities prove they are our ancestors,really ?

What if your shrink believes in the creator ? :D

Which "creator"? You have never made any case for any creator being needed :D

Homininae

Had you been exposed to a science curriculum in middle school, you would have known that the science of evolution involves more than similarities.

Shouldn't you make some effort to understand the various, cooperating sciences supporting evolution before you argue against it ?

Homininae

Ancestor: : a progenitor of a more recent or existing species or group
Ancestor - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Similar" almost the same as someone or something else
Similarly - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Lions, tigers and house cats share 95% the same DNA, yet we consider them all similar.
Humans and Chimps share 98% the same DNA, yet we're not similar?

Much like the the 125 S(the car built by Enzo Ferrari) is the ancestor to today's 458 Spider.

Last edited:

Homininae

There is only 125 million DNA differences between chimps and humans, and looking at the current mutation rate, that is a problem for the major mechanism of evolution.

Now how do you explain the Cambrian explosion and the evidence of sudden appearance of species ? the theory is punctuated equilibrium.

Forum List

Back