Why do the God-haters persist?

Christianity/Religion had EVERYTHING to do with slavery

lol.....the ignorant can be so funny sometimes.....okay, bobo, tell us how slavery is the product of Christianity.....in doing so, please keep in mind that slavery existed even prior to Abraham.....

Slavery and religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Abolitionism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Later, in the 17th century, English Quakers and evangelical religious groups condemned slavery (by then applied mostly to Africans) as un-Christian; in the 18th century, abolition was part of the message of the First Great Awakening in the Thirteen Colonies; and in the same period, rationalist thinkers of the Enlightenment criticized it for violating the rights of man.

Bartolomé de las Casas was a 16th-century Spanish Dominican priest, the first resident Bishop of Chiapas. As a settler in the New World he witnessed and opposed the poor treatment of the Native Americans by the Spanish colonists. He advocated before King Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor on behalf of rights for the natives. Originally supporting the importation of African slaves as laborers, he eventually changed and became an advocate for the Africans in the colonies.

Yes, the original settlers wanted the freedom to practice their own religions, not be forced into a state run religion.

However, haven't you said more than once that you are not religious, Boss? Wouldn't that make you also a societal outcast, and perhaps also the vast minority of non-religious idiots? :eusa_shhh:

I'm non-religious, not anti-religion. As a spiritualist who believes in God, I am not in the minority nor an outcast. But hey... I understand this is the kind of minutiae you live for. And I have to admit, with your mad skills at taking what people say and parsing it out of context of intended meaning, you could.... oh wait... there is absolutely nothing you could do with that skill other than be an internet troll! :lol: Carry on!!

Last edited:
oh.....did the non-Christians immigrate to this country AFTER the 1870s?......religion had nothing to do with Indian wars or slavery.....

lol.....I get it....you think that all Christians are Republicans!.......

remember when I said I had laughed at you four times today?......make it five.....

Christianity/Religion had EVERYTHING to do with slavery

lol.....the ignorant can be so funny sometimes.....okay, bobo, tell us how slavery is the product of Christianity.....in doing so, please keep in mind that slavery existed even prior to Abraham.....

Slavery in different forms existed within Christianity for over 18 centuries. Although in the early years of Christianity, freeing slaves was regarded as an act of charity, and the Christian view of equality of all people including slaves was a novelty in the Roman Empire, the actual institution of slavery was rarely criticised. In 340, the Synod of Gangra condemned the Manicheans for their urging that slaves should liberate themselves; the canons of the Synod instead declared that anyone preaching abolitionism should be anathematised, and that slaves had a Christian obligation to submit to their masters. Augustine of Hippo argued that slavery was part of the mechanism to preserve the natural order of things; John Chrysostom, regarded as a saint by Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism, argued that slaves should be resigned to their fate, as by obeying his master he is obeying.
In 1452 Pope Nicholas V issued the papal bull Dum Diversas, which granted Afonso V of Portugal the right to reduce any "Saracens, pagans and any other unbelievers" to hereditary slavery. The approval of slavery under these conditions was reaffirmed and extended in his Romanus Pontifex bull of 1455. In 1488 Pope Innocent VIII accepted the gift of 100 slaves from Ferdinand II of Aragon and distributed those slaves to his cardinals and the Roman nobility. Also, in 1639 Pope Urban VIII purchased slaves for himself from the Knights of Malta.
The Dominican friars 1510 strongly denounced the enslavement of the local Indians. Along with other priests, they opposed their treatment as unjust and illegal in an audience with the Spanish king and in the subsequent royal commission. As a response to this position, the Spanish monarchy's subsequent Requerimiento provided a religious justification for the enslavement of the local populations, on the pretext of refusing conversion to Roman Catholicism and therefore denying the authority of the Pope.
Some other Christian organizations were slaveholders. The 18th century evangelical Protestant Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts owned the Codrington Plantation, in Barbados, containing several hundred slaves, branded on their chests with the word Society. George Whitefield, famed for his sparking of the so-called Great Awakening of American evangelicalism, overturned a province-wide ban against slavery,and went on to own several hundred slaves himself.
When the American Civil War broke out, to settle the question of the limits of federal power, slavery became one of the issues which would be decided by the outcome; the southern defeat lead to a constitutional ban on slavery. Despite the general emancipation of slaves, members of some Christian groups like the Christian Identity movement, and the Ku Klux Klan (a white supremacist group) see the enslavement of Africans as a positive aspect of American history.

lol.....the ignorant can be so funny sometimes.....okay, bobo, tell us how slavery is the product of christianity.....in doing so, please keep in mind that slavery existed even prior to abraham.....

slavery and religion - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

abolitionism - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

later, in the 17th century, english quakers and evangelical religious groups condemned slavery (by then applied mostly to africans) as un-christian; in the 18th century, abolition was part of the message of the first great awakening in the thirteen colonies; and in the same period, rationalist thinkers of the enlightenment criticized it for violating the rights of man.

Bartolomé de las casas was a 16th-century spanish dominican priest, the first resident bishop of chiapas. As a settler in the new world he witnessed and opposed the poor treatment of the native americans by the spanish colonists. He advocated before king charles v, holy roman emperor on behalf of rights for the natives. Originally supporting the importation of african slaves as laborers, he eventually changed and became an advocate for the africans in the colonies.

bfd.

Yes, the original settlers wanted the freedom to practice their own religions, not be forced into a state run religion.

However, haven't you said more than once that you are not religious, Boss? Wouldn't that make you also a societal outcast, and perhaps also the vast minority of non-religious idiots? :eusa_shhh:

I'm non-religious, not anti-religion. As a spiritualist who believes in God, I am not in the minority nor an outcast. But hey... I understand this is the kind of minutiae you live for. And I have to admit, with your mad skills at taking what people say and parsing it out of context of intended meaning, you could.... oh wait... there is absolutely nothing you could do with that skill other than be an internet troll! :lol: Carry on!!

And had you said anti-religious, I would never have commented. You have mad skills at not saying the same thing as your intended meaning. ;)

Are the non-religious not the minority? I thought the masses were mostly religious. Not being religious would put you in the minority. I'm sure you'll either deny the truth of that or complain about minutia. :lol:

Last edited:

Christians, Muslims, Jews & Atheists disagree with you boss. You may actually be the smallest of minorities. There are probably more atheists in America than there are people who don't believe any of the religions but at the same time believe in god.

If you ask most people they will say they are christian, atheist, jew, muslim, jehova, mormon or agnnostic. Very very very few people believe what you do.

You are absolutely a fringe thinker. not part of the mainstream; unconventional, peripheral, or extreme

Christians, Muslims, Jews & Atheists disagree with you boss. You may actually be the smallest of minorities. There are probably more atheists in America than there are people who don't believe any of the religions but at the same time believe in god.

If you ask most people they will say they are christian, atheist, jew, muslim, jehova, mormon or agnnostic. Very very very few people believe what you do.

You are absolutely a fringe thinker. not part of the mainstream; unconventional, peripheral, or extreme

I believe I've seen polls indicating people who are spiritual but not religious are on the rise, but absolutely that is in the minority. Don't somewhere around 70% of adults in the US self identify as Christian?

When the American Civil War broke out, to settle the question of the limits of federal power, slavery became one of the issues which would be decided by the outcome; the southern defeat lead to a constitutional ban on slavery.
so when the Atheist Army of the North defeated the Confederation of Christian Secessionist Slaveowners it finally resolved the issue in the US......Huzzah and Glory, Glory, Hallelujah!.....

Last edited:

I believe I've seen polls indicating people who are spiritual but not religious are on the rise, but absolutely that is in the minority. Don't somewhere around 70% of adults in the US self identify as Christian?

There are probably more atheists in America than there are people who don't believe any of the religions but at the same time believe in god.

Demographics of atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 2012 study by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life reports that just 6% of the US population are atheists..

Spiritual but not religious - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term is used world-wide, but is most prominent in the United States where one study reports that as many as 33% of people identify as spiritual but not religious.[3] Other surveys report lower percentages ranging from 24%[4] to 10%[5]

So even the most slanted data shows there are nearly twice as many non-religious but spiritual compared to atheists. This is IF there are actually 6% Atheists, most other surveys found it to be more like 2%. Could be as many as 12x more of us than you. And hey... all of us are in the vast minority because the religious have about a 75% stronghold. Another poll I read, I think from Pew, said 66% claim to attend regular religious services.

In any event, the data is online for anyone who this matters to. If that makes some difference as to how you personally believe... the numbers and who believes what... then so be it. I've never really been bothered with what other people thought, that's never held sway with what I think or believe. But maybe you guys are different and that is really important? :dunno:

There are probably more atheists in America than there are people who don't believe any of the religions but at the same time believe in god.

A 2012 study by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life reports that just 6% of the US population are atheists..

The term is used world-wide, but is most prominent in the United States where one study reports that as many as 33% of people identify as spiritual but not religious.[3] Other surveys report lower percentages ranging from 24%[4] to 10%[5]

So even the most slanted data shows there are nearly twice as many non-religious but spiritual compared to atheists. This is IF there are actually 6% Atheists, most other surveys found it to be more like 2%. Could be as many as 12x more of us than you. And hey... all of us are in the vast minority because the religious have about a 75% stronghold. Another poll I read, I think from Pew, said 66% claim to attend regular religious services.

In any event, the data is online for anyone who this matters to. If that makes some difference as to how you personally believe... the numbers and who believes what... then so be it. I've never really been bothered with what other people thought, that's never held sway with what I think or believe. But maybe you guys are different and that is really important? :dunno:

Um, you are the one who said that as a spiritualist who believes in god you are not in the minority. Now you've shown that you are, in fact, in the minority. Hooray! This could have ended there, but somehow you segued that into these statistics having some influence on what we believe.

You seem to be unwilling or unable to simply admit to a mistake or error. You're in the minority when it comes to belief. Nothing wrong with that. No need to try and turn something around on others.

We also left England because of economic oppression but like religion, it seems it followed us over from England. The churches still have a lot of power/influence over the masses. Not as much as back in the day but still it has a lot of sway with the naive.

Well, let's see... You've failed at science and math already, and now it appears you fail history as well. This explains a lot of what is wrong with you.

Did you never learn about the Puritans and Plymouth Rock? You see, they were the first settlers. They came here to escape religious persecution in England. It wasn't because of their LACK of religion. They got along fine with the Native Americans, in fact, they established the tradition we know today as Thanksgiving. Most of us learned about this in 2nd grade, but apparently you were in the special ed class and missed it.

Yes, the "masses" are mostly religious. You've acknowledged this several times. The vast minority are non-religious idiots like you. In fact, your type represent less than two out of ten people. You are very much a societal outcast and you always will be.

They were NOT the original settlers.

They were the Johnnie come lately land thieves.

Maybe today it is far too late to repay the Native Americans for the theft of their property but back then it certainly was current business.

I believe that the scam to steal Native American land was far more incentive than any so called goody two shoes religious motivation.

Trust the white man to hide his true nature behind some nonsense about "god" and Jesus.

Well, let's see... You've failed at science and math already, and now it appears you fail history as well. This explains a lot of what is wrong with you.

Did you never learn about the Puritans and Plymouth Rock? You see, they were the first settlers. They came here to escape religious persecution in England. It wasn't because of their LACK of religion. They got along fine with the Native Americans, in fact, they established the tradition we know today as Thanksgiving. Most of us learned about this in 2nd grade, but apparently you were in the special ed class and missed it.

Yes, the "masses" are mostly religious. You've acknowledged this several times. The vast minority are non-religious idiots like you. In fact, your type represent less than two out of ten people. You are very much a societal outcast and you always will be.

Maybe today it is far too late to repay the Native Americans for the theft of their property but back then it certainly was current business.

I believe that the scam to steal Native American land was far more incentive than any so called goody two shoes religious motivation.

Trust the white man to hide his true nature behind some nonsense about "god" and Jesus.

Clearly they were the original settlers in the context of the conversation.

Um, you are the one who said that as a spiritualist who believes in god you are not in the minority. Now you've shown that you are, in fact, in the minority. Hooray! This could have ended there, but somehow you segued that into these statistics having some influence on what we believe.

You seem to be unwilling or unable to simply admit to a mistake or error. You're in the minority when it comes to belief. Nothing wrong with that. No need to try and turn something around on others.

No, no... I'm NOT in the minority. I am a spiritual believer in God, I am among about 88% globally, who believe in something greater than self. YOU are in the vast and overwhelming minority at 6% optimistically, and probably ~2% realistically. Now, you tried to claim I'm in the minority because you want to divide all the spiritual people into subgroups based on religions, but that is just stupid and meaningless. Even if we look at Religious vs. Non-religious, you represent far more of a minority than I.

What we have here again is your incessant troll-like behavior, where you don't really want to discuss the topic, but cause a diversion and distraction by being a fucktard. It's really disappointing to me because I think you might have potential. You seem like an intelligent person who might be able to hold his own in a debate. At least, more so than some others here. But we never get to see that side of you because you're too busy being a twat.

FYI: There were never any 'Atheist' Native Americans.

Clearly they were the original settlers in the context of the conversation.

If the Native Americans had known what was in the hearts of the first Europeans they would have sunk every boat to prevent word getting back from where they came from and killed every one of those on board.

The NAs were foolish to believe the forked tongued devils babbling nonsense of gods and talking snakes. The only true snakes were the white men and women.

Better yet ...they should have taken the boats and tricked the whites into showing them the means to make metal objects and weapons. THEN kept the whites as slaves forcing them to produce the weapons and boats needed to defend THEIR land.

But they didn't. So what they should have done or ought to have done is irrelevant and meaningless.

We're hardly going to pack up and return to wherever our ancestry came from. And even if we did, what if there is some moron on the Internet there, lamenting about how that land was taken years ago from natives... do you keep on moving? How far back do we go with it? At what point in the past do you think all was "fair and square" and no one held any land they weren't entitled to?

Do you think the Native Americans didn't take any land from other tribes or other people before them? (By the way... I'm Native American, 1/8 Cherokee and 1/8 Choctaw.)

No, no... I'm NOT in the minority. I am a spiritual believer in God, I am among about 88% globally, who believe in something greater than self. YOU are in the vast and overwhelming minority at 6% optimistically, and probably ~2% realistically. Now, you tried to claim I'm in the minority because you want to divide all the spiritual people into subgroups based on religions, but that is just stupid and meaningless. Even if we look at Religious vs. Non-religious, you represent far more of a minority than I.

What we have here again is your incessant troll-like behavior, where you don't really want to discuss the topic, but cause a diversion and distraction by being a fucktard. It's really disappointing to me because I think you might have potential. You seem like an intelligent person who might be able to hold his own in a debate. At least, more so than some others here. But we never get to see that side of you because you're too busy being a twat.

Atheists and agnostics are a smaller minority than spiritual but not religious, sure. So what? You used being in the minority as a kind of insult toward sealybobo, and I pointed out that being non-religious, you are in the minority when it comes to belief, too. Now here you are, denying being in the minority, then admitting being in the minority but calling it stupid and meaningless. Well, atheists and agnostics being in the minority is stupid and meaningless as well. It doesn't affect the truth of anyone's position to be in the minority or majority.

We also left England because of economic oppression but like religion, it seems it followed us over from England. The churches still have a lot of power/influence over the masses. Not as much as back in the day but still it has a lot of sway with the naive.

You might want to crack open a history book. The Puritans left England for religious reasons, mainly because they wanted to set up a theocracy under their own ideas and James I told them to get bent. They all but managed to do that when Cromwell cut off Charles I's head in 1649 and the Puritans became politically powerful during the Commonwealth and their policies were so unpopular (e.g. closing the theaters because plays are immoral) that when Charles II restored the crown England rejoiced. Those that went to Holland in the 1610s were told to leave because they were obnoxious assholes who kept harassing the Dutch locals about how immoral and wicked they were because they didn't subscribe to the Puritan ideals of what was proper.

Also, the Pilgrims didn't get along with the locals in the New World as much as you think. The first thing they did after getting off the Mayflower was to plunder some native food stores, something I'm sure the Indians were thrilled about come winter time.

If you're interested, there's a great book on the subject.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mayflower-Story-Courage-Community-War/dp/0143111973]Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War: Nathaniel Philbrick: 9780143111979: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

EDIT: To clarify that some Puritans left for Holland ad some stayed in England. Those that went to Holland and then the New World obviously weren't in England when Charles I was executed.

Last edited:

You might want to crack open a history book. The Puritans left England for religious reasons, mainly because they wanted to set up a theocracy under their own ideas and James I told them to get bent. They all but managed to do that when Cromwell cut off Charles I's head and the Puritans became politically powerful during the Commonwealth and their policies were so unpopular (e.g. closing the theaters because plays are immoral) that when Charles II restored the crown England rejoiced. They went to Holland and were told to leave because they were obnoxious assholes who kept harassing the Dutch locals about how immoral and wicked they were because they didn't subscribe to the Puritan ideals of what was proper.

Also, the Pilgrims didn't get along with the locals in the New World as much as you think. The first thing they did after getting off the Mayflower was to plunder some native food stores, something I'm sure the Indians were thrilled about come winter time.

If you're interested, there's a great book on the subject.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mayflower-Story-Courage-Community-War/dp/0143111973]Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War: Nathaniel Philbrick: 9780143111979: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

and the puritans lost that battle, didn't they? the founding fathers disdained the idea of a theocracy.

Salem witch trials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These immigrants (Puritans) established several colonies in New England, of which the Massachusetts Bay Colony was the largest and most economically important.

The Salem witch trials were a series of hearings and prosecutions of people accused of witchcraft in colonial Massachusetts between February 1692 and May 1693. The trials resulted in the executions of twenty people, most of them women.

and of course, the Puritans always did keep a few tricks up their selves for communal entertainment ...

Forum List

Back