Why do the God-haters persist?

The fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalise world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance.

The validity of a claim, such as the existence of god, is not governed by the intelligence of the minds which hold it. Evidence and reason are the deciding factors.

Right, so it's just when SOUTHERN people believe in God that it's because of dumb and stupid gullibility? :cuckoo:

Listen son. You don't get to pin the French Revolution on atheism and then not take responsibility for Iraq, ww2 (the germans were religious and hitler was spiritual). This thing going on right now is jew v muslim. Religious people. Your numbers of murder/death/kills keeps adding up like a video game.

I'm not your son. I didn't mention the French Revolution. I only mentioned Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. All three were Atheists running Atheist regimes. None of your examples are religious genocide except for the Muslims, and they believe in Allah, not God. Now you better get to cracking, you are 150 million in the stinkhole boy.

Um, isn't Allah simply Arabic for god?

three contradictory religious scripts have the same God -

at least 2in3 are incorrect or better, all three ... their scriptures not the Deity.

I just like pointing out it is a religious society that is dumb enough to be lied into Iraq, and yes they played the "christian" card. If you recall what did Bush call them? Radical Islam??? What a dick. Do you know how many stupid Americans were calling Muslim Americans "radical islam"? I had to point out to them that Muslim Americans aren't the same thing as Al Queda. Do you also notice we never invade other christian nations? Only Muslim nations. So while politics might be more at play, yes I believe religion plays a role too.

I stopped arguing politics as soon as I realized there was no god. If poor and middle class republicans can be conned into believing an invisible man exists, and that the GOP is the religious party, you don't waste your time arguing about abortion or gays first. You attack the source of the problem, which is religion. Without it people mind their own business and start voting for logical things like fair taxation and workers rights. Right now they ignore what they should be focusing on and instead worry about butt sex. Why? Religion. Who gives a fuck about butt sex?

Do you notice we never invade any European or majority-white nations? Maybe race is the big factor, huh?

You are drawing conclusions about religion being the main motivation that are, I think, completely erroneous. Sure, religion may play a part, but I don't think it's close to the biggest reason for the invasion of Iraq or any other country in recent years.

Bush called who radical Islam? You're not particularly clear there. Did he call all Muslim Americans radical Islam?

You say you stopped arguing politics, but you are on a political forum, you've argued politics in this thread, and you're doing it in that very post. You haven't done anything like stop arguing politics.

And while there are sure to be some correlations between religious belief and political belief, I doubt they are anything close to universal. People of all political affiliation are believers, people of all political affiliation are atheists. Do you think there are no atheist Republicans? No Christian Democrats or Libertarians or Independents?

You assume too much about people based solely on their religious beliefs, especially considering you don't seem to take the depth or type of beliefs into much account.

No, we never invade christians or whites. Last time white Germany and us went at it. The german people were all christians. How great is the religion when the people of that religion are capable of such acts? Time to get rid of the christian and muslim religions because they say all non christians/muslims are bad. So these religions need to end. Jews will always be jews. You can't join that club. You either are born into it or you are not. Sammy Davis the one exception. Anyways, we need a new religion. One that doesn't say non believers are going to hell. Or maybe there is an old religion that preached this and it never caught on? I don't know. All I know is religous people are KILLAS. Ask any alien watching us from space. What do you think they think of us? Fucktards. They would love a liberal planet. But you cons would dissect that alien so fast.

See son, you don't know how Bush mind fucked you. If you did you would know what I'm talking about. Bush/Rush/Fox/Drudged purposely called them radical ISLAM. They basically called a holy war and you dumb americans were so easily duped. I'll admit so was I after 911 but then about 1 yr into Iraq I work up. You clearly didn't. Bush/Chaney loved/wanted the Iraq war. And you know when I say bush I mean the gop. Fill in the fucking blank christy, huckabee, mccain, mitt, mcconnell, boehner, ryan, paul, shell/exxon/bp/haloburton/incorporated.

And lastly, I am a student of politics/religion. I study them. That's why I know where politics is corrupt and why religion is too. Hell if you'd get your head out of rush/fox/drudges asses you'd know more I promise you that. Yesterday alone on NPR they were talking about politics in America vs. Australia. This is just one small example of how they own you bitches and you keep voting for them. In Australia you pay a $15 fine if you don't vote, so they have very high turn over. This changes EVERYTHING. More people vote. You can show up and vote for NO ONE but you have to show up. This gets the citizens engaged more. More interested and more informed. Then the politicians start fighting for the votes in the middle, not pandering to the far right on abortion, god gays and guns and RACISM. This is how the GOP/Rich are winning elections. By low voter turn out and low information voters.

Remember they use to say all politics are local? Really? Who's your state reps? What did they vote on recently? So even the people here in America who do pay attention and so uninformed, misinformed or underinformed.

Wow, that's a staggering amount of projection and strawman argument.

Christianity certainly has a history of aggression and violence, of 'killing in the name of god'. However, the followers of Christianity seem to have pretty much given up on that. Some followers of Islam, unfortunately, have not.

While I would love to see how humanity would fare without religion, both because of my lack of belief and my curiosity as to how important it is to our survival and advancement as a species, there is no need for religion to end. We've gotten along with religion being part of humanity up to this point.

You cons would dissect that alien so fast? What the hell are you talking about? First, I am not a con. I am not a member of any political party nor am I beholden to any particular political philosophy. Second, I don't think that political belief would be the main determining factor in how a person reacted to intelligent alien life.

Bush mind fucked me? I never voted for or even liked Bush. That you see the religious behind every bad thing that ever happens doesn't mean I've somehow been fooled by a former president. :lol: Yes, politicians drummed up some hatred for Muslims. That's what politicians do; they provide people with a target for their frustration, anger and hate, whether that target deserves it or not.

I was never for the Iraq war. Afghanistan I understood, but Iraq always seemed like a purposeless war to me, a continuation of Bush Sr.'s war. Maybe you are the 'dumb American' who was 'mind fucked' by Bush if you thought the war was a good idea for the first year.

If you mean the GOP, why don't you say the GOP instead of just Bush?

Now I have my head in Rush/Fox/Drudge's ass? You don't know the first thing about my political beliefs, so far as I can tell, but in your need to put people in simple categories you can more easily demonize, you've decided you do. I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh. Other than the occasional short bit to see what the fuss is about on a particular subject, I never have. I don't watch tv news. I do go to Fox's website, but I just happen to like the layout. I also go to CNN's site and read BBC headlines. I have never been to the Drudge site. So how is my head in their asses again? ;)

Who owns me? Who have I voted for? You haven't the slightest clue. You aren't arguing with me, you're arguing with a caricature you've created of your idea of a conservative. If you want to stop talking to yourself and actually talk to me, let me know. :D

Do you notice we never invade any European or majority-white nations? Maybe race is the big factor, huh?

You are drawing conclusions about religion being the main motivation that are, I think, completely erroneous. Sure, religion may play a part, but I don't think it's close to the biggest reason for the invasion of Iraq or any other country in recent years.

Bush called who radical Islam? You're not particularly clear there. Did he call all Muslim Americans radical Islam?

You say you stopped arguing politics, but you are on a political forum, you've argued politics in this thread, and you're doing it in that very post. You haven't done anything like stop arguing politics.

And while there are sure to be some correlations between religious belief and political belief, I doubt they are anything close to universal. People of all political affiliation are believers, people of all political affiliation are atheists. Do you think there are no atheist Republicans? No Christian Democrats or Libertarians or Independents?

You assume too much about people based solely on their religious beliefs, especially considering you don't seem to take the depth or type of beliefs into much account.

No, we never invade christians or whites. Last time white Germany and us went at it. The german people were all christians. How great is the religion when the people of that religion are capable of such acts? Time to get rid of the christian and muslim religions because they say all non christians/muslims are bad. So these religions need to end. Jews will always be jews. You can't join that club. You either are born into it or you are not. Sammy Davis the one exception. Anyways, we need a new religion. One that doesn't say non believers are going to hell. Or maybe there is an old religion that preached this and it never caught on? I don't know. All I know is religous people are KILLAS. Ask any alien watching us from space. What do you think they think of us? Fucktards. They would love a liberal planet. But you cons would dissect that alien so fast.

See son, you don't know how Bush mind fucked you. If you did you would know what I'm talking about. Bush/Rush/Fox/Drudged purposely called them radical ISLAM. They basically called a holy war and you dumb americans were so easily duped. I'll admit so was I after 911 but then about 1 yr into Iraq I work up. You clearly didn't. Bush/Chaney loved/wanted the Iraq war. And you know when I say bush I mean the gop. Fill in the fucking blank christy, huckabee, mccain, mitt, mcconnell, boehner, ryan, paul, shell/exxon/bp/haloburton/incorporated.

And lastly, I am a student of politics/religion. I study them. That's why I know where politics is corrupt and why religion is too. Hell if you'd get your head out of rush/fox/drudges asses you'd know more I promise you that. Yesterday alone on NPR they were talking about politics in America vs. Australia. This is just one small example of how they own you bitches and you keep voting for them. In Australia you pay a $15 fine if you don't vote, so they have very high turn over. This changes EVERYTHING. More people vote. You can show up and vote for NO ONE but you have to show up. This gets the citizens engaged more. More interested and more informed. Then the politicians start fighting for the votes in the middle, not pandering to the far right on abortion, god gays and guns and RACISM. This is how the GOP/Rich are winning elections. By low voter turn out and low information voters.

Remember they use to say all politics are local? Really? Who's your state reps? What did they vote on recently? So even the people here in America who do pay attention and so uninformed, misinformed or underinformed.

Christianity certainly has a history of aggression and violence, of 'killing in the name of god'. However, the followers of Christianity seem to have pretty much given up on that. Some followers of Islam, unfortunately, have not.

While I would love to see how humanity would fare without religion, both because of my lack of belief and my curiosity as to how important it is to our survival and advancement as a species, there is no need for religion to end. We've gotten along with religion being part of humanity up to this point.

You cons would dissect that alien so fast? What the hell are you talking about? First, I am not a con. I am not a member of any political party nor am I beholden to any particular political philosophy. Second, I don't think that political belief would be the main determining factor in how a person reacted to intelligent alien life.

Bush mind fucked me? I never voted for or even liked Bush. That you see the religious behind every bad thing that ever happens doesn't mean I've somehow been fooled by a former president. :lol: Yes, politicians drummed up some hatred for Muslims. That's what politicians do; they provide people with a target for their frustration, anger and hate, whether that target deserves it or not.

I was never for the Iraq war. Afghanistan I understood, but Iraq always seemed like a purposeless war to me, a continuation of Bush Sr.'s war. Maybe you are the 'dumb American' who was 'mind fucked' by Bush if you thought the war was a good idea for the first year.

Now I have my head in Rush/Fox/Drudge's ass? You don't know the first thing about my political beliefs, so far as I can tell, but in your need to put people in simple categories you can more easily demonize, you've decided you do. I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh. Other than the occasional short bit to see what the fuss is about on a particular subject, I never have. I don't watch tv news. I do go to Fox's website, but I just happen to like the layout. I also go to CNN's site and read BBC headlines. I have never been to the Drudge site. So how is my head in their asses again? ;)

Who owns me? Who have I voted for? You haven't the slightest clue. You aren't arguing with me, you're arguing with a caricature you've created of your idea of a conservative. If you want to stop talking to yourself and actually talk to me, let me know. :D

I have to go, but I'll read all this tomorrow. One thing I want to say is that religious does a horrible job as far as good and evil. Don't try to say it doesn't. And if Jesus is "the truth" how come the Arabs can't see the truth? Probably because he isn't the truth. He's our truth. Their "truth" is Allah. Only problem is no one knows the truth or there is no truth. It's all made up. If it was real the muslims would clearly see it and convert. They don't. Know why? Because our story is just as much bullshit as theirs.

And you know it.

And how did Christian America handle Iraq? Did we win the hearts and minds? No, Christians did not win the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people. They hate us even more. Thanks to the great christians like George Bush. Fuck you Christians. :badgrin:

The fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalise world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance.

The validity of a claim, such as the existence of god, is not governed by the intelligence of the minds which hold it. Evidence and reason are the deciding factors.

Right, so it's just when SOUTHERN people believe in God that it's because of dumb and stupid gullibility? :cuckoo:

Listen son. You don't get to pin the French Revolution on atheism and then not take responsibility for Iraq, ww2 (the germans were religious and hitler was spiritual). This thing going on right now is jew v muslim. Religious people. Your numbers of murder/death/kills keeps adding up like a video game.

I'm not your son. I didn't mention the French Revolution. I only mentioned Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. All three were Atheists running Atheist regimes. None of your examples are religious genocide except for the Muslims, and they believe in Allah, not God. Now you better get to cracking, you are 150 million in the stinkhole boy.

Nyupe... totally different deity.

130830155448-one-god-story-top.jpg

the variations within the Abrahamic religions would no more establish a distinct Deity than the differences in their scripture by the original three religions.

130830155448-one-god-story-top.jpg

the variations within the Abrahamic religions would no more establish a distinct Deity than the differences in their scripture by the original three religions.

Wrong.

The Muslim (Moo-slem) religion worships Allah, the pagan God of the Moon. He was married to the sun goddess and the stars were his daughters. (Note the symbol you posted for Islam.)

Archaeologists have uncovered temples to the Moon-god throughout the Middle East. When the popularity of the Moon-god waned elsewhere, the Arabs remained true to their conviction that the Moon-god was the greatest of all gods. While they worshipped 360 gods at the Kabah in Mecca, the Moon-god was the chief deity. Mecca was in fact built as a shrine for the Moon-god.

Muhammad was raised in the religion of the Moon-god Allah. But he went one step further than his fellow pagan Arabs. While they believed that Allah, i.e. the Moon-god, was the greatest of all gods and the supreme deity in a pantheon of deities, Muhammad decided that Allah was not only the greatest god but the only god.

In effect he said, "Look, you already believe that the Moon-god Allah is the greatest of all gods. All I want you to do is to accept that the idea that he is the only god. I am not taking away the Allah you already worship. I am only taking away his wife and his daughters and all the other gods." This is seen from the fact that the first point of the Muslim creed is not, "Allah is great" but "Allah is the greatest," i.e., he is the greatest among the gods. Why would Muhammad say that Allah is the "greatest" except in a polytheistic context? The Arabic word is used to contrast the greater from the lesser. That this is true is seen from the fact that the pagan Arabs never accused Muhammad of preaching a different Allah than the one they already worshipped. This "Allah" was the Moon-god according to the archeological evidence. Muhammad thus attempted to have it both ways. To the pagans, he said that he still believed in the Moon-god Allah. To the Jews and the Christians, he said that Allah was their God too. But both the Jews and the Christians knew better and that is why they rejected his god Allah as a false god.

And now you know the REST of the story! :eusa_angel:

Let me rephrase. Isn't the word Allah the Arabic word for god? Wouldn't a Christian speaking Arabic say allah instead of god? I seem to recall a story about a Muslim-run country recently trying to get Christians to remove the word allah from their Bibles.

I've certainly read from multiple sources that allah is the Arabic word for god, but I don't know the language at all.

I've tried to do a quick search about this moon god thing, but pretty much all that came up seemed to be Christian sources making the claim and Islamic sources denying it.

Let me rephrase. Isn't the word Allah the Arabic word for god? Wouldn't a Christian speaking Arabic say allah instead of god? I seem to recall a story about a Muslim-run country recently trying to get Christians to remove the word allah from their Bibles.

I've certainly read from multiple sources that allah is the Arabic word for god, but I don't know the language at all.

I've tried to do a quick search about this moon god thing, but pretty much all that came up seemed to be Christian sources making the claim and Islamic sources denying it.

Well, since I am non-religious, I really don't have a dog in this hunt, I am just going by what archaeologists have discovered and history has recorded. That's the thing about history, you can't run away from it. It is a common misconception that Allah and God are the same, largely due to Muhammad teaching this lie after the fact. The pagan deity Allah: God of the Moon, existed long before Muhammad. Now, I am not here to dispute Muhammad any more than I'm here to dispute Jesus or Abraham. I'm just reporting the facts. You can believe Muhammad or history, doesn't really matter to me. :dunno:

Last edited:

First, if you aren't a con then stop using their buzz words like straw man.

Second, yes I generalize. I'm on a fucking message board. There are religious liberals too.

3. I don't want to talk politics with someone who is unconvincable. I may come here and spout off my opinion, but I don't want to get in a tit for tat with boss. Righties love that shit. I say why bother. Remember all their confidence that Mitt was ahead in the polls?

Anyways, I'm not here to talk politics. I'm just telling you that religion and politics are the two ways "they" mind fuck you/us.

Oh, and when I say they own you, I mean they own me too unfortunately.

So I hear the Jews, the founders of our religion, are up to 1000 muslim murder/death/kills in Gaza. Boy they sure want to catch us atheists in our number of all time murder/death/kills. We haven't killed anyone since Pol Pot but the christians/jews/muslims just keep killing each other. Very impressive from a scientific point of view. In fact doctors learned a lot about plastic surgery and helping amputees through war or experimenting on people.

I was thinking about this on the way into work this am. Jesus didn't tell the jews to start a new religion. He was just telling them they were being hypocrites, no different than today's christians are christians only because they believe it'll get them into heaven. They don't follow what jesus said any better than the money changers did. And that whole son of god thing got blown way out of proportion. I'm sure Jesus meant every man/woman is the son of god, not him literally. And I just can't seem to wrap my mind around this whole thing about he died for our sins? What is that all about again?

Well, since I am non-religious, I really don't have a dog in this hunt, I am just going by what archaeologists have discovered and history has recorded. That's the thing about history, you can't run away from it. It is a common misconception that Allah and God are the same, largely due to Muhammad teaching this lie after the fact. The pagan deity Allah: God of the Moon, existed long before Muhammad. Now, I am not here to dispute Muhammad any more than I'm here to dispute Jesus or Abraham. I'm just reporting the facts. You can believe Muhammad or history, doesn't really matter to me. :dunno:

I don't like it that they made those two pope's saints. I use to think saints were great men but now I realize they were just men. Certainly no saints. Top 10 Most Wicked Popes - Listverse

without Jesus’ death on the cross for our sins, no one would have eternal life?

What about the billions of people that lived before?

Wait a minute!!! Jesus Himself said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”

Oh he said so himself? That is their proof? LOL. So did Joseph Smith, David Koresh, Charles Manson, etc. So your proof is to tell me the guy said so himself, 2000 years ago? I'll continue reading this shit and see if it convinces me of anything.

Jesus declares the reason for His birth, death, and resurrection—to provide the way to heaven for sinful mankind, who could never get there on their own. Couldn’t god think of an easier way?

When God created Adam and Eve, they were perfect in every way and lived in a virtual paradise. Already there are so many questions that can’t be answered believably. God created man in His image, even though boss says he’s not physical. Adam and Eve succumbed to Satan’s temptations and lies. So either you are a nut job and believe this literally or you understand this is just a story to teach right and wrong. So if it is a story, and the ark is a story, then so is the Jesus story.

God declared that all who sin will die, both physically and spiritually. This is the fate of all mankind. But God, in His grace and mercy, provided a way out of this dilemma, the shed blood of His perfect Son on the cross. God declared that “without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness” Really? Should we all live by this? This is exactly what is wrong with religion. That right there. BOOM!

This is why Jesus came and why He died, to become the ultimate and final sacrifice. Sick this religion is founded on human sacrifice.

Through Him, the promise of life eternal with God becomes effective through faith to those who believe in Jesus. These two words, faith and believing, are critical to our salvation. It is through our believing in the shed blood of Christ for our sins that we receive eternal life.

This is an ancient outdated religion.

You're funny, silly boob. You are the most curious about religion Atheist I've ever seen. If I didn't know better I'd think you maybe had some doubts about your spirituality. We already know that you believe in Karma, so you certainly have spiritual awareness. It's okay to not be exactly sure what you believe, I think this is more common than you might think.

You're funny, silly boob. You are the most curious about religion Atheist I've ever seen. If I didn't know better I'd think you maybe had some doubts about your spirituality. We already know that you believe in Karma, so you certainly have spiritual awareness. It's okay to not be exactly sure what you believe, I think this is more common than you might think.

And maybe it is only the organized religions that I don't like. Maybe I wouldn't mind one religion that we all belong to. Former Jews muslims and christians. One that doesn't preach you'll go to hell if you are not a member. And one that doesn't tell fairy tales and try to pass them off as fact. We're not stupid. Or are we? :eusa_pray:

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” – Charles Darwin

JUST KEEP ON HANGING AROUND THE RELIGION TOPIC AND MAYBE YOU WILL WISE UP,get off your fat lazy butt and seek TRUTH.==========GOD'S INSPIRED(GOD BREATHED) WORD IS ALL TRUTH!!

That's the thing. It's not a question of believing Muhammad or history. I have not seem evidence that it is history. Like I said, looking up allah as the moon god gave me a bunch of sites which were either Christian or Muslim. I didn't get archeological sites, historical sites, etc. Where did you get this information from? Then I could go see for myself.

You haven't really answered my question about the word allah, either, unless you are saying it does not mean god in Arabic, but instead means the specific moon god you're talking about.

Wait a minute!!! Jesus Himself said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”

Oh he said so himself? That is their proof? LOL. So did Joseph Smith, David Koresh, Charles Manson, etc. So your proof is to tell me the guy said so himself, 2000 years ago? I'll continue reading this shit and see if it convinces me of anything.

“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”

is there proof the quote is attributable to J ?

"No one comes to the Father except through me”

if attributable, the quote would be a / the reason for his trial for blasphemy as was done and without an encore verifiable for posterity ... end of story end of myth. -

but a true martyr who died for his cause / and (vanity). all hail Jesus.

That's the thing. It's not a question of believing Muhammad or history. I have not seem evidence that it is history. Like I said, looking up allah as the moon god gave me a bunch of sites which were either Christian or Muslim. I didn't get archeological sites, historical sites, etc. Where did you get this information from? Then I could go see for myself.

You haven't really answered my question about the word allah, either, unless you are saying it does not mean god in Arabic, but instead means the specific moon god you're talking about.

It isn't history. The only thing that stops these stories from being fairy tales is that they supposedly happened 5000 or 2000 years ago rather than "in a place far far away a long time ago".

There is no contemporary evidence for Jesus’ (or Mohammad's) existence or the Bible’s account of his life; no artifacts, dwellings, works of carpentry, self-written manuscripts, court records, eyewitness testimony, official diaries, birth records, reflections on his significance or written disputes about his teachings. Nothing survives from the time in which he is said to have lived.

The Biblical account of Jesus (and the Koran's account of Mohammad) have striking similarities with other mythologies and texts. It is likely the character(s) was either partly or entirely invented by competing first century messianic cults from an amalgamation of Greco-Roman, Egyptian and Judeo-Apocalyptic myths and prophecies.

Even if Jesus’ or Mohammad's existence could be established, this would in no way validate Christian or Muslim theology or any element of the stories portrayed in the Bible or Koran, such as the performance of miracles or the resurrection.

Simply because it is conceivable a heretical Jewish preacher named Yeshua lived circa 30 AD, had followers and was executed, does not imply the son of a god walked the Earth at that time. Same for Mo.

Forum List

Back