Why do the God-haters persist?

I just like pointing out it is a religious society that is dumb enough to be lied into Iraq, and yes they played the "christian" card.

Why do you keep contradicting your own arguments? I post something from Isaac Newton and you pontificate some cut-n-paste about how intelligence of the individual is not relevant to their religious beliefs... next thing you know, here you are posting about them ignorant christians. Which one is it? You can't have this both ways, moron.
:cuckoo:

Not to agree with sealy here, but ignorance and stupidity are not the same thing. ;)

In certain context that is true.

Silly boob keeps swinging back and forth. He explains how some of the smartest people in the world can be Christians, then he makes comments that indicate Christians are dumb. Like the comment I highlighted in the quote box. I just want him to make up his mind... are all Christians dumb and gullible, or are they sometimes the smartest people on the planet?

Why do you keep contradicting your own arguments? I post something from Isaac Newton and you pontificate some cut-n-paste about how intelligence of the individual is not relevant to their religious beliefs... next thing you know, here you are posting about them ignorant christians. Which one is it? You can't have this both ways, moron.

Not to agree with sealy here, but ignorance and stupidity are not the same thing. ;)

Silly boob keeps swinging back and forth. He explains how some of the smartest people in the world can be Christians, then he makes comments that indicate Christians are dumb. Like the comment I highlighted in the quote box. I just want him to make up his mind... are all Christians dumb and gullible, or are they sometimes the smartest people on the planet?

Fair enough. I think ignorance gets used incorrectly a lot, probably due to ignorance. :lol:

For myself, I find religious belief to often seem foolish, perhaps even dumb. On the other hand, I wouldn't say that being stupid about a particular subject means a person has low intelligence; I think most of us can be pretty stupid about various things no matter our general level of intelligence. And, of course, emotion can often overrule intellect.

But you are right that it can be hard to determine just what sealy thinks about the religious.

I just like pointing out it is a religious society that is dumb enough to be lied into Iraq, and yes they played the "christian" card.

in his case, they split rent.....

Fair enough. I think ignorance gets used incorrectly a lot, probably due to ignorance. :lol:

For myself, I find religious belief to often seem foolish, perhaps even dumb. On the other hand, I wouldn't say that being stupid about a particular subject means a person has low intelligence; I think most of us can be pretty stupid about various things no matter our general level of intelligence. And, of course, emotion can often overrule intellect.

But you are right that it can be hard to determine just what sealy thinks about the religious.

Moonbat... The word "SET" has 127 different definitions. It can literally mean 127 different things in conversation. Many of the words in our English vocabulary are this way, they have numerous definitions and can mean different things in context of other words they are used in conjunction with. I'm not sure if you're a foreigner, if English is a second language for you, or if you are just really deprived educationally on how our language works, but you really do need to learn about this if you expect to ever be able to communicate effectively with others.

Do you consider Isaac Newton "foolish, perhaps even dumb?" Because I don't, and I don't believe most rational people would. Silly boob says this is okay because intelligence doesn't have anything to do with religious beliefs, some very smart people can also be religious... then the next post he is lamenting about "dumb southerners gullible enough to believe religion." So it's as if there is a double standard.... Intelligent people can believe in God, but Southerners believe in God because they are dumb and stupid.

Moonbat... The word "SET" has 127 different definitions. It can literally mean 127 different things in conversation. Many of the words in our English vocabulary are this way, they have numerous definitions and can mean different things in context of other words they are used in conjunction with. I'm not sure if you're a foreigner, if English is a second language for you, or if you are just really deprived educationally on how our language works, but you really do need to learn about this if you expect to ever be able to communicate effectively with others.

Do you consider Isaac Newton "foolish, perhaps even dumb?" Because I don't, and I don't believe most rational people would. Silly boob says this is okay because intelligence doesn't have anything to do with religious beliefs, some very smart people can also be religious... then the next post he is lamenting about "dumb southerners gullible enough to believe religion." So it's as if there is a double standard.... Intelligent people can believe in God, but Southerners believe in God because they are dumb and stupid.

Haven't you complained, multiple times, that I argue with you just for the sake of arguing with you? Yet here you are, seeming to argue with me even when I'm pretty much agreeing with you.

I'm well aware that words often have multiple meanings. That doesn't mean that ignorance is defined as stupidity. People often use the words interchangeably, perhaps that is common enough that it should be given a new definition, but as it stands ignorance is defined as a lack of knowledge or education. Hence my little joke about ignorance being used out of ignorance......

No, I wouldn't call Newton dumb, but I might characterize his religious beliefs that way. Are you aware that a person can have multiple facets to their personality, and that their attitude or beliefs about one subject do not necessarily equate to the entirety of them as a person? Are you aware that very intelligent people can do or believe very stupid things?

Like I said, sealy makes it hard to know what his thoughts about the religious really are. Is there some reason you felt the need to further explain things when I was agreeing with you, other than a need to argue with me? ;)

I think it is the sun and the mean income in relation to the sun in the South. A lot of people in the South cannot afford AC in the home or work in environments where it is hot and humid.

After living for several years in Southern Florida coming from the Pacific Northwest where our humidity is very low even in the Summer when it can frequently get into the eighties.

When it is hot and humid it is difficult to think clearly. Multiple generations of exposure to these conditions have bred a population with a dissadvanantage in making rational choices.

Much of the bad thinking and resulting conflict on the planet originates in countries where poor people must endure conditions that do not promote clear thinking.

Religion is strongest globally in the countries closest to the equator.

I think it is the sun and the mean income in relation to the sun in the South. A lot of people in the South cannot afford AC in the home or work in environments where it is hot and humid.

After living for several years in Southern Florida coming from the Pacific Northwest where our humidity is very low even in the Summer when it can frequently get into the eighties.

When it is hot and humid it is difficult to think clearly. Multiple generations of exposure to these conditions have bred a population with a dissadvanantage in making rational choices.

Much of the bad thinking and resulting conflict on the planet originates in countries where poor people must endure conditions that do not promote clear thinking.

A lot of people in the South cannot afford AC in the home or work in environments where it is hot and humid.

are you speaking of Dixie - because there may be a few without AC but otherwise your comment is laughable, 2014 ... true of field work but those conditions are made more tolerable without the prospect of forced labour.

but it does remain a factor as well as rural vs urban root mentality which is distinct between the prevailing Liberal and Conservative ideologies, for some reason.

Last edited:
We’ll round this up (for the sake of liberals) and say 6 million deaths caused by Christians.

That's just christians alone. Now add up the muslims and jews.

Then he says
The deaths caused by non-Christians – approximately 90 MILLION! And this is actually a conservative number.

But he's counting Muslim murder. And he's not even counting jewish murder/death/kills.

I'm not saying Christianity is the leading killer of man, I'm saying religion in general is.

So how good is religion? Not very if you ask me.

And I guess we're going to abandon your silly argument about humans inventing spirituality for now, huh?

Listen son. You don't get to pin the French Revolution on atheism and then not take responsibility for Iraq, ww2 (the germans were religious and hitler was spiritual). This thing going on right now is jew v muslim. Religious people. Your numbers of murder/death/kills keeps adding up like a video game.

Stop being a slick bullshitter who thinks he's clever with his stupid lame fucking arguments about how he thinks he has proven god exists but no one else here seems to agree with you nor can you provide any links of intelligent men that agree with you. This is just one little man's theories. Billions of others exist stupid. It's all in your head. That's what science says. That's why so many of them are atheists. They even know why even some smart people are dumb enough to believe in god. The fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalize world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance. They want to believe in miracles.

You have to stop defending religion or religious people or their actions and leadership. If you mean lead by example, all religious societies are evil. If I was an alien observing this planet I would say they are all murderous and cruel, except the liberals of course.

Traditionally spirituality has been defined as a process of personal transformation in accordance with religious ideals. Since the 19th century spirituality is often separated from religion, and has become more oriented on subjective experience and psychological growth. It may refer to almost any kind of meaningful activity or blissful experience, but without a single, widely-agreed definition.

New Oxford University study has found that faith and religion come to human beings naturally — possibly instinctively.

"We tend to see purpose in the world," Oxford University professor Roger Trigg said Thursday. "We see agency. We think that something is there even if you can't see it. ... All this tends to build up to a religious way of thinking."

widespread belief in some kind of afterlife and an instinctive tendency to suggest that natural phenomena happen for a purpose.

"Children in particular found it very easy to think in religious ways," such as believing in God's omniscience. But adults also jumped first for explanations that implied an unseen agent at work in the world, the study found.

The study doesn't say anything about whether God, gods or an afterlife exist, said Justin Barrett, the project's other co-director.

"This project does not set out to prove God or gods exist. Just because we find it easier to think in a particular way does not mean that it is true in fact," he said.

Both atheists and religious people could use the study to argue their sides, Trigg told CNN.

Famed secularist Richard "Dawkins would accept our findings and say we've got to grow out of it," Trigg argued.

But people of faith could argue that the universality of religious sentiment serves God's purpose, the philosophy professor said.

"Religious people would say, 'If there is a God, then ... he would have given us inclinations to look for him,'" Trigg said.

The blockbuster study may not take a stance on the existence of God, but it has profound implications for religious freedom, Trigg contends.

"If you've got something so deep-rooted in human nature, thwarting it is in some sense not enabling humans to fulfill their basic interests," Trigg said.

"There is quite a drive to think that religion is private," he said, arguing that such a belief is wrong. "It isn't just a quirky interest of a few, it's basic human nature."

"This shows that it's much more universal, prevalent, and deep-rooted. It's got to be reckoned with. You can't just pretend it isn't there," he said.

And the Oxford study, known as the Cognition, Religion and Theology Project, strongly implies that religion will not wither away, he said.

What I see is that the invasion had pretty strong support from all over the country. I have no idea how many enlisted from various regions, do you have any stats about that or are you just making things up?

All presidents play the 'Christian card'. You've mentioned yourself that professing Christian faith is almost a prerequisite to be president.

I think the invasion of Iraq had far, far, far more to do with politics than religion. Even if you blame it on a desire for oil, it's still far more about politics than religion.

You seem to have a strong need to find religion to blame for everything you can, particularly Christianity. While I've got no problems with finding fault in Christianity, blaming the religion for things it is not responsible for is just silly.

I just like pointing out it is a religious society that is dumb enough to be lied into Iraq, and yes they played the "christian" card. If you recall what did Bush call them? Radical Islam??? What a dick. Do you know how many stupid Americans were calling Muslim Americans "radical islam"? I had to point out to them that Muslim Americans aren't the same thing as Al Queda. Do you also notice we never invade other christian nations? Only Muslim nations. So while politics might be more at play, yes I believe religion plays a role too.

I stopped arguing politics as soon as I realized there was no god. If poor and middle class republicans can be conned into believing an invisible man exists, and that the GOP is the religious party, you don't waste your time arguing about abortion or gays first. You attack the source of the problem, which is religion. Without it people mind their own business and start voting for logical things like fair taxation and workers rights. Right now they ignore what they should be focusing on and instead worry about butt sex. Why? Religion. Who gives a fuck about butt sex?

Do you notice we never invade any European or majority-white nations? Maybe race is the big factor, huh?

You are drawing conclusions about religion being the main motivation that are, I think, completely erroneous. Sure, religion may play a part, but I don't think it's close to the biggest reason for the invasion of Iraq or any other country in recent years.

Bush called who radical Islam? You're not particularly clear there. Did he call all Muslim Americans radical Islam?

You say you stopped arguing politics, but you are on a political forum, you've argued politics in this thread, and you're doing it in that very post. You haven't done anything like stop arguing politics.

And while there are sure to be some correlations between religious belief and political belief, I doubt they are anything close to universal. People of all political affiliation are believers, people of all political affiliation are atheists. Do you think there are no atheist Republicans? No Christian Democrats or Libertarians or Independents?

You assume too much about people based solely on their religious beliefs, especially considering you don't seem to take the depth or type of beliefs into much account.

No, we never invade christians or whites. Last time white Germany and us went at it. The german people were all christians. How great is the religion when the people of that religion are capable of such acts? Time to get rid of the christian and muslim religions because they say all non christians/muslims are bad. So these religions need to end. Jews will always be jews. You can't join that club. You either are born into it or you are not. Sammy Davis the one exception. Anyways, we need a new religion. One that doesn't say non believers are going to hell. Or maybe there is an old religion that preached this and it never caught on? I don't know. All I know is religous people are KILLAS. Ask any alien watching us from space. What do you think they think of us? Fucktards. They would love a liberal planet. But you cons would dissect that alien so fast.

See son, you don't know how Bush mind fucked you. If you did you would know what I'm talking about. Bush/Rush/Fox/Drudged purposely called them radical ISLAM. They basically called a holy war and you dumb americans were so easily duped. I'll admit so was I after 911 but then about 1 yr into Iraq I work up. You clearly didn't. Bush/Chaney loved/wanted the Iraq war. And you know when I say bush I mean the gop. Fill in the fucking blank christy, huckabee, mccain, mitt, mcconnell, boehner, ryan, paul, shell/exxon/bp/haloburton/incorporated.

And lastly, I am a student of politics/religion. I study them. That's why I know where politics is corrupt and why religion is too. Hell if you'd get your head out of rush/fox/drudges asses you'd know more I promise you that. Yesterday alone on NPR they were talking about politics in America vs. Australia. This is just one small example of how they own you bitches and you keep voting for them. In Australia you pay a $15 fine if you don't vote, so they have very high turn over. This changes EVERYTHING. More people vote. You can show up and vote for NO ONE but you have to show up. This gets the citizens engaged more. More interested and more informed. Then the politicians start fighting for the votes in the middle, not pandering to the far right on abortion, god gays and guns and RACISM. This is how the GOP/Rich are winning elections. By low voter turn out and low information voters.

Remember they use to say all politics are local? Really? Who's your state reps? What did they vote on recently? So even the people here in America who do pay attention and so uninformed, misinformed or underinformed.

A lot of people in the South cannot afford AC in the home or work in environments where it is hot and humid.

are you speaking of Dixie - because there may be a few without AC but otherwise your comment is laughable, 2014 ... true of field work but those conditions are made more tolerable without the prospect of forced labour.

but it does remain a factor as well as rural vs urban root mentality which is distinct between the prevailing Liberal and Conservative ideologies, for some reason.

Solutions that might work in Mayberry won't work in Detroit goober.

I heard yesterday that a lot of people don't put that much thought into poltics. We all know that is true, but they were discussing the possibilities of why. I realized the same irrational reasons people believe in god are the same as politics.

Doesn't matter that the stories in the bible couldn't be physically true. People want to believe and that over rides rational thought.

And it is funny because a christian knows how to call bullshit on the mormon, muslim & jewish stories but can't see that their own story is full of holes. Weird.

I think if a lot of people gave it a lot of thought they'd realize that religion is made up but most people choose not to think that hard or are frightened with hell from thinking rationally.

The poor white people down south are conned by religion very much like the blacks were taught respect for their slave masters is like respect for god. "See" they said, "says it right in the bible".

No doubt poor and middle class social conservatives worship the rich.

The fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalise world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance.

The validity of a claim, such as the existence of god, is not governed by the intelligence of the minds which hold it. Evidence and reason are the deciding factors.

The fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalise world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance.

The validity of a claim, such as the existence of god, is not governed by the intelligence of the minds which hold it. Evidence and reason are the deciding factors.

Right, so it's just when SOUTHERN people believe in God that it's because of dumb and stupid gullibility? :cuckoo:

Listen son. You don't get to pin the French Revolution on atheism and then not take responsibility for Iraq, ww2 (the germans were religious and hitler was spiritual). This thing going on right now is jew v muslim. Religious people. Your numbers of murder/death/kills keeps adding up like a video game.

I'm not your son. I didn't mention the French Revolution. I only mentioned Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. All three were Atheists running Atheist regimes. None of your examples are religious genocide except for the Muslims, and they believe in Allah, not God. Now you better get to cracking, you are 150 million in the stinkhole boy.

We’ll round this up (for the sake of liberals) and say 6 million deaths caused by Christians.

That's just christians alone. Now add up the muslims and jews.

Then he says
The deaths caused by non-Christians – approximately 90 MILLION! And this is actually a conservative number.

But he's counting Muslim murder. And he's not even counting jewish murder/death/kills.

I'm not saying Christianity is the leading killer of man, I'm saying religion in general is.

So how good is religion? Not very if you ask me.

What the hell are you talking about? No one has been killed in the name of Christianity in the past century, as far as I know. Now Muslims do kill a lot of people in the name of Allah, and I'm sure that adds up to a significant number over time, but your Atheist number is at least 150 million. I don't think even the Muslims can come close to that.

And I guess we're going to abandon your silly argument about humans inventing spirituality for now, huh?

On NPR I heard the Jews calling the Muslims animals. What a religious way to look at another culture.

Right, so it's just when SOUTHERN people believe in God that it's because of dumb and stupid gullibility? :cuckoo:

I'm not your son. I didn't mention the French Revolution. I only mentioned Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. All three were Atheists running Atheist regimes. None of your examples are religious genocide except for the Muslims, and they believe in Allah, not God. Now you better get to cracking, you are 150 million in the stinkhole boy.

I don't care. Every time a Jew or Muslim gets murder/death/killed chalk one more up for religion. You get all those deaths. No Israeli or Palestinian atheists are killing anyone.

Um, isn't Allah simply Arabic for god?

Forum List

Back