🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why do they permit divorce?

I know.

Matthew 19:9 "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”.

What's your point?

So Matthew

If your spouse beats you, is abusive to your children, husband refuses to support the family, is in jail, has offensive hygiene…..

As long as there is no sexual immorality….
Divorce is off the table

So Matthew

If your spouse beats you, is abusive to your children, husband refuses to support the family, is in jail, has offensive hygiene…..

As long as there is no sexual immorality….
Divorce is off the table
That isn't what Matthew said, you need to reread it. Try again.

So you have something that abrogates Jesus's words there? Lets see it.

Law of divorce is in Deuteronomy 24 of the Old Testament.

1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.

2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.

That ^^^^^ is only one of many

That isn't what Matthew said, you need to reread it. Try again.
Show me

Matthew 19:9 "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”.

Show me

So, you can divorce for anyone. It doesn't limit you on grounds. What it does limit is remarrying. Pretty simple.

So, you can divorce for anyone. It doesn't limit you on grounds. What it does limit is remarrying. Pretty simple.
Pretty Stupid

So if a husband beats his wife and she divorces him, she is not allowed to marry someone who loves her and treats her right

Pretty Stupid

So if a husband beats his wife and she divorces him, she is not allowed to marry someone who loves her and treats her right
You asked what it meant and I told you. You don't follow it so why does it matter what others believe? It is no one business. They are happy, why shouldn't you be happy for them. It is called tolerance, you should try it.

You asked what it meant and I told you. You don't follow it so why does it matter what others believe? It is no one business. They are happy, why shouldn't you be happy for them. It is called tolerance, you should try it.
Tolerance of wife beaters?

Tolerance of wife beaters?

Good grief, have you ever used common sense? Tolerate a persons beliefs is what we are talking about, not tolerate a man beating a woman. If it were me, I'd divorce them. I don't understand all beliefs or religions but I will tolerate their beliefs, just like I'd tolerate your beliefs. It is a liberal ideal so you may not understand it.

It is helpful to keep in mind the culture of Biblical times in regards to divorce. At that time, a man could divorce his wife simply by handing her a decree of divorce. She was then obligated to leave and return to her birth family. Without the children.

Any wonder why Jesus noted that men who gave up their older wife for a young, nubile woman was the same as committing adultery? Watching the heart break (and subsequent poverty) of a mother, sister, aunt, cousin, or friend who was unceremoniously issued a hand-written notice of divorce and we can understand Jesus' teaching about divorce.

In our own time: Everyone loves to bring up wife beaters, but face it. Most divorces in our own time are "no fault", not for cause.

As has already been mentioned: In the Catholic faith, anyone may be divorced. It is remarrying after a divorce that is considered the sin.

As has already been mentioned: In the Catholic faith, anyone may be divorced. It is remarrying after a divorce that is considered the sin.

Again…..Who the F do you think you are?

Relationships don’t work like that. Even beyond spousal and child abuse (both physical and mental) and infidelity, some people are not meant to be married. They just don’t form loving relationships.
To tell people…..Too bad, you blew it, no second chance at a loving relationship is as un Christian as you can be

It is helpful to keep in mind the culture of Biblical times in regards to divorce. At that time, a man could divorce his wife simply by handing her a decree of divorce. She was then obligated to leave and return to her birth family. Without the children.

Any wonder why Jesus noted that men who gave up their older wife for a young, nubile woman was the same as committing adultery? Watching the heart break (and subsequent poverty) of a mother, sister, aunt, cousin, or friend who was unceremoniously issued a hand-written notice of divorce and we can understand Jesus' teaching about divorce.

In our own time: Everyone loves to bring up wife beaters, but face it. Most divorces in our own time are "no fault", not for cause.

what has "at that time" have to do with anything in regards to an actual religion that if correct would be timeless in its conviction.

which obviously by their own admission negates the c bible as a religious document and is more aptly titled - the state policies of the roman empire - than its religion.

Again…..Who the F do you think you are?

Relationships don’t work like that. Even beyond spousal and child abuse (both physical and mental) and infidelity, some people are not meant to be married. They just don’t form loving relationships.
To tell people…..Too bad, you blew it, no second chance at a loving relationship is as un Christian as you can be
Who are you that thinks you can butt into someone else’s religion? Some
make a choice about a religion and that is theirs to make and they can live however they want. If you disagree, too bad so sad, you have no right to take away a person’s freedom.

Why do they permit divorce?​

You're asking the wrong question. The question is, "WHO permits divorce?".

The state regulates marriages and divorces from a purely secular perspective. Religious morality doesn't (shouldn't) enter into it according to the First Amendment. -- that leads to a follow up question, "What give the state the authority to regulate what should be a private or religious matter?'.

Most organized religions recognize divorce for some reason or another. Islam allows divorce in cases of spouse abuse. Judaism allows divorce if a husband cannot sexually satisfy his wife. Protestantism allows divorce if The King wants to marry his mistress.

If an act is sanctioned by ecumenical hierarchy then it would be, by definition, religiously moral.

I doubt very many--if any at all--say, "Too bad you blew it." Where did you get that?

Delving into abuse being a good reason for divorce side-steps the question. Few people are divorced for that reason. What is the main reason? Lack of commitment--and about 70% say their spouse should have worked harder to save the marriage. Next, divorce is fifteen percent higher in second marriages (even higher in third marriages) than the divorce rate in first-time marriages.

Under these circumstances, why advocate for divorce? Why not advocate for commitment and a successful first marriage?

Forum List

Back