Why do you vote for your side?

Thanks for the reply, its the best one so far, you actually gave your opinion.

I agree with everything except for number 8 and 14.

8) the federal reserve has too much control to ever be disbanded. It needs more regulation and shouldn't be controlled by a select few individuals as it is now, but in theory it has it's purpose.

14) as for 14, I am hesitant to demean your faith as I was raised a Christian and agree with most of its ethics and morals. But... Creation Science is not a theory, it has never reached that point of Scientific scrutiny.A theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method. It is more than faith based it has scientific backing, Basically a theory is the closest thing possible to a proof. Creation Science has not reached that level yet, so it should not be taught.

That's okay. Nobody has to agree with each other 100% of the time. Life (and this forum) would be dull if we did.

Creation Science hasn't been accepted by the "secular" scientific community but there are a lot of really good scientists who believe in Intelligent Design. There are even some non-theists who believe that it makes more sense that the universe was designed rather than simply **poofed** into existence by pure happenstance.

If you ever have a chance (and the time) you ought to read "Darwin's Black Box" by Behe. Great read. You may also be interested in this site: The Institute for Creation Research

As for the Federal Reserve, I don't believe it could be abolished in rapid time but I agree with many of our founders that a Central Bank would be a dangerous thing. Their fears have been realized. Also, Karl Marx (the author of the Communist Manifesto) was FOR a central bank. So you have many of our founders opposing it and a avowed Communist touting its presumed benefits.

Last edited:
PHP:
I would like to have a civilized discussion, but on this board I'm guessing the trolls will be out by the end of the first page. Please tell me why you vote republican or democrat, and I'm looking for pro party reasons, not anti-the other party propaganda.

I'll start, I'm a 23 year old white male who just graduated from a liberal arts college in Virginia (born and raised) and will be moving to Colorado in 3 weeks.

I've always voted republican for these reasons

1) I was raised republican by my father, I would lying if I denied my upbringing as a conservative has not influenced my voting

2) I believe in a smaller federal government , I personally believe that the federal governments should be kept as small as possible. I'll never understand why a bunch of big wigs in the New England and Washington make decisions and regulations that severely affect places like Kentucky or Oregon. Let Kentucky run Kentucky the ways it's people like and let Colorado run Colorado they way it's people like. The federal government should only be used for Nation wide infrastructure and defense.

3) I don't care about most social issues, Abortion, gay marriage, religion, weed, I personally don't care about any of it and wish that the government would stay out of it completely. I smoke weed on a regular bases in Virginia, so legalizing doesn't really change anything for me. I'm not gay, but I've had a gay roommate since sophomore year in college, I've never seen him be discriminated against and he has no intention of marrying so i couldn't care less about those issues. As for abortion I don't like the idea of killing a helpless child, but if i got my girlfriend pregnant tomorrow and the day after pill doesn't work, then ill be thanking the Lord for abortions.
Personally i think economic issues are much more important then social issues so they really don't sway my votes.

4) I feel that I am realistic about helping the poor, There will always be poor people, every society that has ever existed, that has a population of over 1000 people has had different classes. Yes we have poor people, we will always have poor people. I don't believe in taking from rich and giving to the poor, because in the end you end with everyone being poor.
The only thing that we can do is to raise the standard of living to the point that being poor doesn't matter and give the lower classes the opportunity to climb the ladder. I believe the best way to raise the standard of living is through technology and the best way to develop technology is with profit incentives, so mark be down as pro-business anti-regulation.

So what are your reasons?

Voting for a side or Party is stupid. Vote for what you believe. If it overlaps with one party more than another, so be it.

Quote...Creation Science hasn't been accepted by the "secular" scientific community but there are a lot of really good scientists who believe in Intelligent Design. There are even some non-theists who believe that it makes more sense that the universe was designed rather than simply **poofed** into existence by pure happenstance.

This is a good explanation of why a majority of Scientists still have faith in the possibility of a higher intelligence or God. Becoming a Scientist does not make one an automatic member of the Atheist community.
Based upon the mathematical and scientific nature we see in the Universe, God is most likely a Scientist, sporting a lab coat instead of the flowing white robe.

Yeah, a little off topic...just had to add two cents.

Last edited:
Christie republicans are a dime a dozen, liberal on social issues and moderately conservative in fiscal issues. It's no big deal. Democrats believe in dope smoking, forcing women to hire someone to kill the baby they created regardless of the woman's psychological or physical welfare, in your face predatory homosexuals at the expense of the psychological welfare of young boys and lastly the liberal interpretation of the 1st and 2nd amendment. Democrats also believe in government control over the production and manufacture of goods and services.

I would like to have a civilized discussion, but on this board I'm guessing the trolls will be out by the end of the first page. Please tell me why you vote republican or democrat, and I'm looking for pro party reasons, not anti-the other party propaganda.

I'll start, I'm a 23 year old white male who just graduated from a liberal arts college in Virginia (born and raised) and will be moving to Colorado in 3 weeks.

1) I was raised republican by my father, I would lying if I denied my upbringing as a conservative has not influenced my voting

2) I believe in a smaller federal government , I personally believe that the federal governments should be kept as small as possible. I'll never understand why a bunch of big wigs in the New England and Washington make decisions and regulations that severely affect places like Kentucky or Oregon. Let Kentucky run Kentucky the ways it's people like and let Colorado run Colorado they way it's people like. The federal government should only be used for Nation wide infrastructure and defense.

3) I don't care about most social issues, Abortion, gay marriage, religion, weed, I personally don't care about any of it and wish that the government would stay out of it completely. I smoke weed on a regular bases in Virginia, so legalizing doesn't really change anything for me. I'm not gay, but I've had a gay roommate since sophomore year in college, I've never seen him be discriminated against and he has no intention of marrying so i couldn't care less about those issues. As for abortion I don't like the idea of killing a helpless child, but if i got my girlfriend pregnant tomorrow and the day after pill doesn't work, then ill be thanking the Lord for abortions.
Personally i think economic issues are much more important then social issues so they really don't sway my votes.

4) I feel that I am realistic about helping the poor, There will always be poor people, every society that has ever existed, that has a population of over 1000 people has had different classes. Yes we have poor people, we will always have poor people. I don't believe in taking from rich and giving to the poor, because in the end you end with everyone being poor.
The only thing that we can do is to raise the standard of living to the point that being poor doesn't matter and give the lower classes the opportunity to climb the ladder. I believe the best way to raise the standard of living is through technology and the best way to develop technology is with profit incentives, so mark be down as pro-business anti-regulation.

I have somewhat similar political leanings but this makes me ask: do you truly believe that the GOP represents any of the listed ideas?

I am neither an R nor D precisely because of this. Bush’s tenure proved to me without a doubt that the GOP does NOT represent #2 AT ALL and 3+4 are not really reasons to vote GOP but rather reasons that the Democrats do not appeal to you more than the Republicans.

I,
1) Believe in smaller government
2) Believe that we need to pull back constant war and bombing other nations to focus on AMERICANS rather than killing other people in other nations
3) Support gay marriage
4) Support legalization of drugs
5) Support massive reform within the tax code and welfare state
6) Believe that the regulation and law systems need to be looked at really closely to eliminate the massive waste and bloat that they currently have
7) Believe that the regulatory agencies that combine executive functions with legislative function need to be separated from that gross abuse of power (they remove checks and balances)
8) Support the right to choose – it’s not the governments place
9) I, like you, also believe that fiscal issues are more important than social issues because we are going to take care of the social ones – it’s the fiscal one that will bring us to down in the end
- and much more but I will digress for the moment...
What is striking though is that there is nowhere for me to go in the 2 established parties as they do not represent any of that. The right DOES NOT have fiscal sanity past a few talking points. Actions matter. The left is EVEN WORSE in that regard. At least the left has it for some of the social ones but then as soon as they get something correct they go WAY overboard. Not only are they pushing for gay marriage (a concept that I agree with) but now they want a protected class (completely batshit insane)

I have to ask what you see in the GOP though given that the reasons you give in the OP are things that I do not think you can ascribe to the GOP at all.

I pretty much agree with you on every point except abortion. If the "morning after pill" somehow failed, which I've never heard of, I would just deal with the consequenses.

That's just me though. I might vote to outlaw abortion in Texas, but I don't care what they do in Kookyfornia.

I kind of like those people being flushed down a drain actually.

The reason I vote republicrat of course is because it's the only viable alternative to the communist party.

I'm most concerned with 2nd Amendment issues and the republicrat party is much more inclined to favor my interests in that regard. I also think all of those social issues are a moot issue if the country is bankrupt. If we don't curtail government at the federal level we're doomed as a country. The individual states can deal with their own social issues.

When I grew up, my mother was a strong democrat and my father was a strong republican. I can't stand either of the parties today, I think they are both shadows of their former glory. I voted democrat up until Clinton, I did not vote for Clinton the 2nd time. Now I either vote 3rd party or write in "none of the above"

Close to what I think. I still vote democrat thinking they'll do something decent now and then. A "working man's a fool voting for a republican" still holds for me.

BOOOO!!! WTF? Dude... vote "other." There is no reason we have to vote for either republicans or democrats.

I prefer to vote republican for the small govt/econ reasons you list. However, it's difficult now with the anti-science, theocracy leaning, repeal soc sec/ medicare and anti-latino elements in the gop.

I don't care about orientation, soc sec and medicare deserve to be maintained and it's beyond absurd to not reform immigration to allow workers to become citizens. It worked for Reagan.

What do repiblicans do better then democrats?

Have you been paying attention for the last 5 years? Name one thing the obama administration has done right.

Oh Ernie. Ima gonna name you TWO things.

Beat McCain/Palin. Thank God.. Beat what's his name? You know, that fake guy from Mass. His running mate was Howdy Dooty. Oh I got it. Mittens Romney. He beat Mitt.

There you go ernie. Two things Obama and his gang have done right. Or to the right. Whatever.

Indeed :thup: I thought the same of Bull Clinton as the only thing he got right. Or at least the only thing I expected him to accomplish.

I have to choose the side that I think will harm I and my family the least. Democrats want to at least act like they like a working man, so they get my vote most of the time.

Well that and because we don't have a viable third party. Yet.

So you vote for Dimocrats because they are good actors?

I don't vote for a "side."

I vote for the candidate I think will do the best job and will best represent my interests and beliefs. That doesn't always work out so well, but I vote my conscience, so my conscience is clean. As far as propositions and what not, I vote for the ones I feel will benefit me and mine, and against those I feel will, in the long run, do me and mine more harm than good...

It really shouldn't be any more complicated than that...

Hard to vote for my side as it is never in the running on the national scale.

There are only two choices to the far left vote for their guy or not at all.

BOOOO!!! WTF? Dude... vote "other." There is no reason we have to vote for either republicans or democrats.

Sadly that's largely true. It's largely a choice of least bad.

Looked at the issues. Looked at who supported freeing and empowering individuals and who just wants control. Hence why i vote conservative.

I have to choose the side that I think will harm I and my family the least. Democrats want to at least act like they like a working man, so they get my vote most of the time.

Well that and because we don't have a viable third party. Yet.

the key word is ACT.....

Forum List

Back