Why Don't Atheists Contribute To Society?

Again. It has never been demonstrated that atheists do just as much as theists.
I agree. But I'd also say that it has never been demonstrated that theists do just as much as atheists. Can you show me any numbers to back up your assertion or are you speaking from faith and not from fact?

Why would you doubt that? It's pretty well established that Christians are big givers. This is, in part, due to their teachings and in some cases to tithing. Atheist and liberals don't match that level of giving.

I did some Googling and it is not an easy question to answer accurately. Christians give plenty to their church but is all of that "charity" or is some of it more akin to membership dues to maintain the clergy and the infrastructure. I pay dues to a local gym but would not consider it charity. Another issue is that I think atheists usually give to charities without identifying themselves as atheists. That is certainly true in my case, none of the charities I give to know if I'm an atheist or not.

Separating out the Atheists is difficult because I don't recall any survey which has speciifally tracked us. You have to make inferences.

Here's what we know. Even when you separate out the "membership" type of donation which keeps a church functioning, religious people /conservatives still come out ahead. The answer for why this is so is below. Liberals believe that government takes the place of charity. Look at liberals on this board and you see the attitude that voicing an opinion about injustice and casting a vote against injustice is a demonstration of compassion and actual action and personal sacrifiice are not necessary. It's just simply part of the religious mindset of liberals - their faith works around symbolism, not action.

So now the trick is to suss out the Atheists from the those who adhere to the Religion of Liberalism. I'd say that the overlap of Atheism with Liberalism is probably in the ballpark of 85% or more, there aren't many Atheists like myself who are also conservatives. In terms of charitable giving I lump more with religious people because I don't see the role of government as that of provider and so I put my money where my mouth is and none of it goes to political or religious groups.

If many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality, Brooks, a registered independent, is, as a reviewer of his book said, a social scientist who has been mugged by data. They include these findings:

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Brooks demonstrates a correlation between charitable behavior and "the values that lie beneath" liberal and conservative labels. Two influences on charitable behavior are religion and attitudes about the proper role of government.

The single biggest predictor of someone's altruism, Willett says, is religion. It increasingly correlates with conservative political affiliations because, as Brooks' book says, "the percentage of self-described Democrats who say they have 'no religion' has more than quadrupled since the early 1970s." America is largely divided between religious givers and secular nongivers, and the former are disproportionately conservative. One demonstration that religion is a strong determinant of charitable behavior is that the least charitable cohort is a relatively small one -- secular conservatives.

Reviewing Brooks' book in the Texas Review of Law & Politics, Justice Willett notes that Austin -- it voted 56 percent for Kerry while he was getting just 38 percent statewide -- is ranked by The Chronicle of Philanthropy as 48th out of America's 50 largest cities in per capita charitable giving. Brooks' data about disparities between liberals' and conservatives' charitable giving fit these facts: Democrats represent a majority of the wealthiest congressional districts, and half of America's richest households live in states where both senators are Democrats.

While conservatives tend to regard giving as a personal rather than governmental responsibility, some liberals consider private charity a retrograde phenomenon -- a poor palliative for an inadequate welfare state, and a distraction from achieving adequacy by force, by increasing taxes. Ralph Nader, running for president in 2000, said: "A society that has more justice is a society that needs less charity."​

When Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, Christian churches gathered up water and toiletries and other basic human needs and handed out to the storm victims. When Ivan hit, they did the same thing. It has happened over and over whenever their has been a natural disaster. Even individual families who have fell victim to home fires, floods, etc., have been helped by the Church.

Where are the atheists in all this?

I'm an Atheist and I've probably done more to benefit humanity than most on this board. It's not really Atheists that are the problem, it liberals. While people were still trapped in the Superdome, liberals sent a bus into the city to rescue trapped dogs.

wrong2.jpg

:rofl:

Pastor Rikhurzen still spewing his stupid LIES about them "evil libruls"?

Too bad that his canard is patently false since the dog rescue happened in the WEEKS AFTER Katrina.

snopes.com Dog Rescue

View attachment 32079

BTW there are conservatives who love their dogs just as much as them "evil libruls" do.

Moron, that photo was published on Sept. 1, 2005. What was happening on that date:

Meanwhile, conditions at the Superdome, as well as the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, continued to deteriorate. Food and potable water were unavailable, with mostly false reports and rumors of rescuers coming under fire from people seeking to hijack supplies or transportation, and few buses were arriving to evacuate the survivors.
Let's see if you have any personal honor and will apologize for your idiotic claim that had it's refutation right in the text YOU HIGHLIGHTED.

I made a statement. I never condemned any atheist for not giving. Not only do you condemn, you lie.

You're making it sound as if all atheists don't contribute to society, which is a ridiculous insinuation. You say you never condemned any atheist for not giving... but you go ahead and say none of them contribute to society. That is crazy. Insane.

I was proven wrong. I admit it. I believe we had a total of three who claimed they did.

You are lying by insinuating that millions of atheists worldwide haven't contributed to society.

I made a statement. I never condemned any atheist for not giving. Not only do you condemn, you lie.

You're making it sound as if all atheists don't contribute to society, which is a ridiculous insinuation. You say you never condemned any atheist for not giving... but you go ahead and say none of them contribute to society. That is crazy. Insane.

I was proven wrong. I admit it. I believe we had a total of three who claimed they did.

You are lying by insinuating that millions of atheists worldwide haven't contributed to society.

Hmmm. I wonder if these millions are unaware of my thread.

Er..no, you are lying by saying that. I can't stand hb and he has never said atheists worldwide haven't contributed to society.

You don't have to lie to make friends.

If you like, I could give you lessons on how to debate without straight up lying.

Er..no, you are lying by saying that. I can't stand hb and he has never said atheists worldwide haven't contributed to society.

You don't have to lie to make friends.

If you like, I could give you lessons on how to debate without straight up lying.

And I was so certain you adored me. Almost everyone does.

When Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, Christian churches gathered up water and toiletries and other basic human needs and handed out to the storm victims. When Ivan hit, they did the same thing. It has happened over and over whenever their has been a natural disaster. Even individual families who have fell victim to home fires, floods, etc., have been helped by the Church.

I'm an Atheist and I've probably done more to benefit humanity than most on this board. It's not really Atheists that are the problem, it liberals. While people were still trapped in the Superdome, liberals sent a bus into the city to rescue trapped dogs.

wrong2.jpg

Too bad that his canard is patently false since the dog rescue happened in the WEEKS AFTER Katrina.

snopes.com Dog Rescue

View attachment 32079

BTW there are conservatives who love their dogs just as much as them "evil libruls" do.

Moron, that photo was published on Sept. 1, 2005. What was happening on that date:

Meanwhile, conditions at the Superdome, as well as the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, continued to deteriorate. Food and potable water were unavailable, with mostly false reports and rumors of rescuers coming under fire from people seeking to hijack supplies or transportation, and few buses were arriving to evacuate the survivors.
Let's see if you have any personal honor and will apologize for your idiotic claim that had it's refutation right in the text YOU HIGHLIGHTED.

As usual Pastor Rikhurzen fails to provide any link to substantiate his allegations.

The final evacuations were completed on 9/3 but your cretinous canard that only "evil libruls" would care enough about pets to rescue them from a disaster still stands as a glaring example of your one track idiocy.

The onus remains on YOU to PROVE that those pets were picked up from the Superdome in preference to people by "ebil libruls".

Here are the sources. Which of these do you maintain isn't *reliable*..and why?:

1. Atheists and Agnostics Take Aim at Christians The Barna Update, 2007.
  2. Religious people make better citizens, study says by Pew Research Forum, May 13, 2009
  3. Religious people are 'better neighbors' by USA Today, 11/14/2010
  4. Religious people make better citizens, study says by Pew Research Forum, May 13, 2009
  5. Religious people are 'better neighbors' by USA Today, 11/14/2010
  6. Religious people make better citizens, study says by Pew Research Forum, May 13, 2009
  7. Religious people are 'better neighbors' by USA Today, 11/14/2010
  8. Brooks, Arthur C., faith and charitable giving Policy Review, Oct-Dec 2003, p.2.
  9. Stossel, John and Kendall, Kristina Who Gives and Who Doesn't? ABC News, November 28, 2006
  10. Religious people make better citizens, study says by Pew Research Forum, May 13, 2009
  11. Religious people are 'better neighbors' by USA Today, 11/14/2010
  12. Religious people make better citizens, study says by Pew Research Forum, May 13, 2009
  13. Religious people are 'better neighbors' by USA Today, 11/14/2010
  14. Religious people make better citizens, study says by Pew Research Forum, May 13, 2009
  15. Religious people are 'better neighbors' by USA Today, 11/14/2010
  16. Review of Key Studies on Caring Volunteering Pursuit of Happiness Happiness is understandable obtainable and teachable
Do you distrust USA today? Pew Research forum? Arthur Brooks, ABC News?

Atheism and charity - Conservapedia

Atheism is correlated with better scientific literacy, lower poverty rates, higher literacy rates, higher average incomes, less violence, lower divorce rates, lower teen pregnancy rates, lower STD infection rates, lower crime rates and lower homicide rates. It correlates highly with the well-being of individuals and societies by almost every possible measure.

Studies on happiness outside of predominantly religious countries (eg. the United States) find little to no correlation between happiness and religious belief. This corresponds with evidence which shows social and community bonding, rather than spiritual engagement, explains why religious people report greater satisfaction with life. Atheists, by comparison, may also simply be unhappy with the level of distrust and persecution they receive from their compatriots.

Christians may be good to their neighbors. At least the ones that look like them, talk like them and go to the same church as them. Just don't be a stranger because you may get met with a shotgun to the face.

To recap...DT was lying when she said that HB claimed atheists have never done anything in the history of the world, lol.

And in pretty much every post aside from that, as well.

wrong2.jpg

snopes.com Dog Rescue

View attachment 32079

As usual Pastor Rikhurzen fails to provide any link to substantiate his allegations.

You fucking moron. The link is right there, in my comment, it takes you to wikepedia and it explains what was happening on Sept. 1. 2005 the same day that the photo of the dog resecue was published. That photo was NOT taken a few weeks after the disaster.

Last edited:
Here are the sources. Which of these do you maintain isn't *reliable*..and why?:

2. Religious people make better citizens, study says by Pew Research Forum, May 13, 2009
  4. Religious people make better citizens, study says by Pew Research Forum, May 13, 2009
  6. Religious people make better citizens, study says by Pew Research Forum, May 13, 2009
  8. Brooks, Arthur C., faith and charitable giving Policy Review, Oct-Dec 2003, p.2.
  9. Stossel, John and Kendall, Kristina Who Gives and Who Doesn't? ABC News, November 28, 2006
  10. Religious people make better citizens, study says by Pew Research Forum, May 13, 2009
  12. Religious people make better citizens, study says by Pew Research Forum, May 13, 2009
  14. Religious people make better citizens, study says by Pew Research Forum, May 13, 2009
  16. Review of Key Studies on Caring Volunteering Pursuit of Happiness Happiness is understandable obtainable and teachable

Atheism is correlated with better scientific literacy, lower poverty rates, higher literacy rates, higher average incomes, less violence, lower divorce rates, lower teen pregnancy rates, lower STD infection rates, lower crime rates and lower homicide rates. It correlates highly with the well-being of individuals and societies by almost every possible measure.

Studies on happiness outside of predominantly religious countries (eg. the United States) find little to no correlation between happiness and religious belief. This corresponds with evidence which shows social and community bonding, rather than spiritual engagement, explains why religious people report greater satisfaction with life. Atheists, by comparison, may also simply be unhappy with the level of distrust and persecution they receive from their compatriots.

Christians may be good to their neighbors. At least the ones that look like them, talk like them and go to the same church as them. Just don't be a stranger because you may get met with a shotgun to the face.

Who cares? Maybe you should start a thread about that.

In THIS thread, we're talking about the fact that atheists are LYING when they claim that atheists have contributed just as much, and contribute just as much ongoing, in terms of philanthropic giving of money, time, materials, assistance, education, etc.

Guys, throw in the towel. Koshergrl has totally kicked your butts here. She has totally destroyed any and all defenses you thought you had. You have lost the argument and lost BIG.

CNN identified 50 charities across the U.S. that raised more than $1.4 billion in the past 10 years but spent less than 4 percent of that money directly on the people they raised the money for.

I bet your churches are no better. 4% goes to charity. The rest goes to your cathedrals and parties where you get together and pat each other on the backs for giving $ but you don't realize that if you gave $1 you actually only gave the needy 4%.

Religious people are dumb. Just another example.

I'd never ever just up and shoot you Sealybobo. I'm a Cherokee you know. I'd prefer to turn you loose in the swamp and hunt you. The first time I found you, I'd put an arrow in one knee. The second time I found you, I'd put an arrow in your other knee. It would probably take me a whole week or so to tire of the game and finally end it.

Guys, throw in the towel. Koshergrl has totally kicked your butts here. She has totally destroyed any and all defenses you thought you had. You have lost the argument and lost BIG.

CNN identified 50 charities across the U.S. that raised more than $1.4 billion in the past 10 years but spent less than 4 percent of that money directly on the people they raised the money for.

I bet your churches are no better. 4% goes to charity. The rest goes to your cathedrals and parties where you get together and pat each other on the backs for giving $ but you don't realize that if you gave $1 you actually only gave the needy 4%.

That post is completely worthless, in terms of debate. In fact, it's laughable and does more to undermine your credibility and support mine, than anything else.

That's still about twenty times better than you Liberal atheists do though. You don't even have any fancy cathedrals, just biker bars.

But then we have you to totally contradict all that.

Who cares? Maybe you should start a thread about that.

In THIS thread, we're talking about the fact that atheists are LYING when they claim that atheists have contributed just as much, and contribute just as much ongoing, in terms of philanthropic giving of money, time, materials, assistance, education, etc.

So what? First of all, you are counting those greedy fucking billionaires who give millions to charity to make themselves feel better about themsevles and meanwhile they are robbing the US taxpayers and fucking the middle class out of trillions of dollars.

And there are more of you than us, so of course you give more.

But anyways, I don't want to argue this. I'll give you that religious people give more to charity. So what? Charity doesn't work. You saw 4% goes to the needy, the charities keep the rest.

So atheists and liberals think we should, as a whole, as a society, solve the problem. That means I pay taxes so my government will solve these problems. You guys have this issue with you having the choice what you donate to. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Sometimes as a society our government decides some things we as a whole need to solve, whether or not you like it or not.

If right wingers weren't greedy no one would ever go hungry. But they are so they choose to have a society where there are no safety nets for the less fortunate and in their fantasy world the government would never solve any problems. We would just let people suffer and eventually "the markets will decide".

CNN identified 50 charities across the U.S. that raised more than $1.4 billion in the past 10 years but spent less than 4 percent of that money directly on terminally ill children, burn victims, cancer patients, diabetes research, crime victims, veterans and police and firefighters.

Not to mention the rich get tax write offs you and I don't get. So when they give $1 million, they get some back. If you give $300 you get nothing back. You wouldn't know this because you aren't rich enough to know. I only know because I use to sell a product called "tax economics of charitable giving". None of the information in this book helped me at all. You had to be rich to benefit from the loopholes.

Also keep in mind that only $40K of that $1 mill goes to the people who need it.

I shouldn't have to give $ to starving Americans. We should have a better government so that no one in America is starving. That means paying taxes. Greedy fucks.

Forum List

Back