Why facts don’t matter to Trump’s supporters

R

rdean

How did Donald Trump win the Republican nomination, despite clear evidence that he had misrepresented or falsified key issues throughout the campaign? Social scientists have some intriguing explanations for why people persist in misjudgments despite strong contrary evidence.

Trump is a vivid and, to his critics, a frightening present-day illustration of this perception problem. But it has been studied carefully by researchers for more than 30 years. Basically, the studies show that attempts to refute false information often backfire and lead people to hold on to their misperceptions even more strongly.

-------------

An interesting article. They even use vaccines as an example.

Another perfect example:

------------------

They documented what they called a “backfire effect” by showing the persistence of the belief that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction in 2005 and 2006, after the United States had publicly admitted that they didn’t exist. “The results show that direct factual contradictions can actually strengthen ideologically grounded factual belief,” they wrote.

-----------------

You have your facts. I have my beliefs. Beliefs trump facts.

Oh me achin ribs, a dumbed down Cankle's supporter posting this garbage? If you'd look at the "facts" and be honest with yourselves you'd know and admit Cankles is a lying, corrupt old bitch. The freaking democrats rig the primaries and you assholes don't bat an eye? Save your BS loons

First thought: what Rump sells is emotion, which always outsells intellect. A lesson Rump learned long ago about television, which works exactly the same way.

"I will never apologize for the United States, I don't care what the facts are"
--- George H.W. Bush, after US military attacked and shot down Flight 655 killing 290 including 66 children under 12

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -- Isaac Asimov, 1980

Oh me achin ribs, a dumbed down Cankle's supporter posting this garbage? If you'd look at the "facts" and be honest with yourselves you'd know and admit Cankles is a lying, corrupt old bitch. The freaking democrats rig the primaries and you assholes don't bat an eye? Save your BS loons

Ironic confirmation/demonstration of the OP :eusa_think:

Poster says :lalala:

Yeah, that's kind of the point.

Also took exactly one post for some wag to try to change the subject altogether. Desperation strikes deep.

rdean almost makes Lakhota look good. Both of them paid DNC drones
tard2.gif

Holy shit its the mother of all IRONY threads considering the lies Hillary has told.

Also took exactly one post for some wag to try to change the subject altogether. Desperation strikes deep.

You're such a toad and your middle school deflection is just that, middle school deflection. It's so you....and so very tiresome

I agree except that she is a lying, corrupt old bitch. IMO, she's WAAAYY better than Trump, but I haven't the heart to defend who she is. The fact is, they are both lying, both old (Donald's a bit older, actually) and if Trump's business dealings aren't corrupt, some of them are equally unlikely to make it past St. Peter and the pearly gates. The more important distinctions are their policies, and Trump supporters and Republicans alike are focusing on those as why they choose him. It puzzles me that so much of what is happening here is just personality attacks, but maybe that's normal during an election year. Or because Donald's personality is such a concern in itself.

None of what you said is factual which proves the OP's point

You're such a toad and your middle school deflection is just that, middle school deflection. It's so you....and so very tiresome

If by that you mean I busted you for your own fallacies -- well, yeah. It's what I do.

Post 6 did exactly the same thing.

Again, Pogo's Law: in any thread about Rump that doesn't fall on its knees and fellate his tiny trumpet, invariably his Rumpbots will arrive to change the subject in desperation. And there it is, proven yet again.

How did Donald Trump win the Republican nomination, despite clear evidence that he had misrepresented or falsified key issues throughout the campaign? Social scientists have some intriguing explanations for why people persist in misjudgments despite strong contrary evidence.

Trump is a vivid and, to his critics, a frightening present-day illustration of this perception problem. But it has been studied carefully by researchers for more than 30 years. Basically, the studies show that attempts to refute false information often backfire and lead people to hold on to their misperceptions even more strongly.

-------------

Another perfect example:

------------------

They documented what they called a “backfire effect” by showing the persistence of the belief that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction in 2005 and 2006, after the United States had publicly admitted that they didn’t exist. “The results show that direct factual contradictions can actually strengthen ideologically grounded factual belief,” they wrote.

-----------------

what facts exactly are you supposedly talking about? I still haven't seen any. Can you try again, otherwise your OP is trash.

To answer your question though they don't care about facts, much like you don't, for exactly the same reasons. Emotion

are you trying to say Clinton isn't lying? REally, you have the FBI directer stating she did. And you wish to ignore him? Really? Wow, I guess there is no reasoning with a leftist.

-------------

Another perfect example:

------------------

-----------------

Actually the photo in the article says it all -- wait, I mean, "has the best words" ---

CAMPAIGN_2016_TRUMP-6d5c7-1293.jpg

Article text:
>> This “confirmation bias” was outlined in a 1979 article by psychologist Charles Lord, cited by Graves. Lord found that his test subjects, when asked questions about capital punishment, responded with answers shaped by their prior beliefs. “Instead of changing their minds, most will dig in their heels and cling even more firmly to their originally held views,” Graves explained in summarizing the study. <<
Doesn't that sound a wee bit familiar not just about Rump but about this message board in general...

Or as I like to put it:
"When the known facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"

are you trying to say Clinton isn't lying? REally, you have the FBI directer stating she did. And you wish to ignore him? Really? Wow, I guess there is no reasoning with a leftist.
Revisiting Clinton and Classified Information

Forum List

Back