Why forgive "student loans" and not all other loans? Why is Biden (democrats) so adamant about it?

you know whats funny is both of my kids went to college and when they got out had to go to trade school to find a good job,,
Unfortunately, some kids are either too dumb to learn enough of their course material to land a job, or too dumb to choose courses where jobs are available.

People are living longer and longer, how bout nursing home cost forgiveness.? Dementia care forgiveness. The college kid chose his plight, not the elderly.

Unfortunately, some kids are either too dumb to learn enough of their course material to land a job, or too dumb to choose courses where jobs are available.
or what was being taught wasnt enough to give them what they needed,,

both are making over 60K a yr now,,

People are living longer and longer, how bout nursing home cost forgiveness.? Dementia care forgiveness. The college kid chose his plight, not the elderly.

If we can forgive banks and business, why not?

or what was being taught wasnt enough to give them what they needed,,

both are making over 60K a yr now,,
You want to brag about kids? Mine just signed a contract with a Houston area hospital's emergency room, and her sign on bonus was enough to buy a small house.

I'm not. I'm asking questions. I want to know.
no youre making excuses to support giving forgiveness,,,

if you were against it you would say like me that the government shouldnt be giving any loan forgivness unless that was in the agreement before the loan,,,

no youre making excuses to support giving forgiveness,,,

if you were against it you would say like me that the government shouldnt be giving any loan forgivness unless that was in the agreement before the loan,,,

I want to know. Why is it OK to bail out the markets over and over again but not people with loans?

You want to brag about kids? Mine just signed a contract with a Houston area hospital's emergency room, and her sign on bonus was enough to buy a small house.
not bragging at all,, just giving an example of why a college degree is useless unless youre going into one of the higher fields of medicine or law,, and a very few other fields,,

everything else can be done through internships and apprentice programs where they pay you to learn a trade

you are the one bragging,,

What's different about a "student loan" over any other loan?
1. With any other loan, the borrower usually buys something that has a resale value. If I borrow ten grand to start a store or buy a car and then things go badly, I can sell back the inventory or the car or whatever to recoup some of the losses. You can't sell back your college degree, making it tougher for people to dig themselves out.
2. Education is important. It is the silver bullet that can solve practically every social problem, but our country is unusual in that we are a filthy rich, first-world country but our education is almost impossibly expensive. (That is another issue that could use some attention, but that's for a different thread.)
3. Forgiving ten or twenty grand each is a fantastic way to get hordes of educated people to re-invest that new-found wealth back into the economy. Even if only a fraction bought a new car or a vacation or created a start-up, the economic jolt would have helped everyone.
4. Because the HEROES Act exists. Not every type of loan has a HEROES Act, and the White House lawyers thought it was worth the push.
5. Because a lot of student loans are for exorbitant rates, and almost all of them were plopped on 18-year-olds who barely know anything.
6. Your question is flawed, because it's not really ANY other loan, is it? Covid was a good enough reason to pass out a shit-ton of small business loans, many of which were then immediately forgiven. Was there a huge swell of outrage and a project-killing Supreme Court decision about those that I missed, even though it affected far fewer people than student loan forgiveness would have?

All that said, I'm not surprised this was shot down. First of all, I can't imagine the current court killing Roe, stripping affirmative action, then being just fine with this. Second, the timing was bad, and third, it didn't do enough to make it easier on future borrowers. It's tough for parents to get excited about it when they're looking ahead a few years to having to deal with the same predatory lenders, who wouldn't have been curtailed much at all.

So anyway, that's why. I think it will have to be shelved now until Congress maybe does something about it in the future.

Forum List

Back