Why I Am Not A Christian

blu, I agree with you. But I don't dismiss the beliefs some have about an After-Life as pointless defense mechanisms. I think some folks truly believe there is a parallel universe or alternate reality or whatnot where the egos of the living survive after their death.

I'm not sure why so many claim they believe this, or why so many seem to plan their entire lives around the belief. Why would knowing you survive death as some sort of ego have any bearing on deciding what is right and wrong while you are alive?

are you asking this rhetorically? how many people have you seen on message boards alone where they say that before they became religious or without religion they were basically savages. The only thing keep many poor people in check is that they are indoctrinated about hell. as another example imagine if all the women in middle astern countries found out that muhammad was a pedophile fraud and that they really didn't have to accept getting raped by their husband and his freinds everynight to get to heaven

This concludes this hour's portion of theological musings of bigots. Up next, Don Black with give his objective and unbiased views of African Americans.

do you have a refutation? do you have any idea of the history of how religion was used to oppress poor people and suppress insurrection against rulers?

Here is an essay that outlines ten reasons you may want to avoid organized religion.

As someone who practices in the Buddhist tradition with a community I still find the essay thought provoking.

What are your thoughts?

Here's one provocative snippet:

"One of the worst mistakes you can make in life is to attach your identity to any particular religion or philosophy, such as by saying “I am a Christian” or “I am a Buddhist.” This forces your mind into a fixed perspective, robbing you of spiritual depth perception and savagely curtailing your ability to perceive reality accurately."
10 Reasons You Should Never Have a Religion

Last edited:
If there was no evil there would be no need nor desire to have the label of "good."

Perhaps evil is the absence of God?

That's been one of my perceptions for a while. Anything not in 100% communion with God is in Hell.

which god? and when should he/she/it/they be followed? Should the books of popular gods such as the torah, bible, and koran be taken literally? does any deviation from the exact words take you "out of communion" with god? What if you think you are following god but in fact are being led astray by the 1000s of times the book you look for guidance in was translated and manipulated?

Here is an essay that outlines ten reasons you may want to avoid organized religion.

As someone who practices in the Buddhist tradition with a community I still find the essay thought provoking.

What are your thoughts?

"One of the worst mistakes you can make in life is to attach your identity to any particular religion or philosophy, such as by saying “I am a Christian” or “I am a Buddhist.” This forces your mind into a fixed perspective, robbing you of spiritual depth perception and savagely curtailing your ability to perceive reality accurately."

Unless, of course, there does happen to be divine merit in Christianity in which case the big mistake would be not identifying one's self as a Christian. In other words, if God isn't looking to see how open your mind can be to false beliefs, but rather how receptive you might become to some on "true" belief, then the mistake is being too willing to accept the false choices.

What are your thoughts?

1. Spirituality for dummies

The first topic tells me that it's not exactly objective.

4. Toilet-bowl time management.
If you devote serious time to the practice of religion, it’s safe to say you practice toilet-bowl time management, flushing much of your precious life down the drain with little or nothing to show for it.

Again, not objective, and actually kind of insulting.

What are your thoughts?

If you devote serious time to the practice of religion, it’s safe to say you practice toilet-bowl time management, flushing much of your precious life down the drain with little or nothing to show for it.

Yes. The article is quite biased and anti-religion. IMO it's not good advice. I've read many other essays by the author that are helpful and balanced. This one lends me to believe success has gone to his head.

It's all ego, all the time. If anyone is in need of spiritual guidance, it's the author.

However, I find it useful to read things like this that make me uncomfortable. He has a point. It's less important for me to label myself as a Buddhist, than it is for me to find realization of buddha nature, moment to moment, without the label.

If the author had made a few of his points more gently, without trying to insult people into agreeing with him, he would have been far better off and we would be praising him for his insight. As for the toliet bowl time mangement. I consider every moment I spend in meditation, prayer or contemplation to be worthwhile even if my mind is wandering. It's the intention to make a connection that is so important and time well spent.

Last edited:

What are your thoughts?

Yes. The article is quite biased and anti-religion. IMO it's not good advice. I've read many other essays by the author that are helpful and balanced. This one lends me to believe success has gone to his head.

It's all ego, all the time. If anyone is in need of spiritual guidance, it's the author.

However, I find it useful to read things like this that make me uncomfortable. He has a point. It's less important for me to label myself as a Buddhist, than it is for me to find realization of buddha nature, moment to moment, without the label.

If the author had made a few of his points more gently, without trying to insult people into agreeing with him, he would have been far better off and we would be praising him for his insight.

As my grandmother used to say, you attract more flies with honey than vinegar. :lol:

What are your thoughts?

Hmm....

"....savagely curtailing your ability to perceive reality accurately."

Not only is it hyperbolic, it falsely claims there is a "reality." He's making the same false claim most organized religions make so by his own argument his own position is wrong.

I practice the teachings of Christ but I don't necessarily feel I belong to the religion. I haven't been to a church in many years. But I see the truth of his teachings and practice them in my daily life. He has given me gifts I never thought possible. In my opinion, people ask for the wrong things when they pray. They mostly pray for themselves. Christ did not teach others to pray this way. Nor did he teach them to discriminate against others for their beliefs. Yet I see many doing just that in the name of religion and tradition. Christ himself asked; Why do you sacrifice the Kingdom of Heaven for tradition?
I might want to point out that it was religion that rejected Christ and had him crucified. It will be religion that worships the anti-christ. A false religion. Because someone claims to be a religion, does not automatically make them righteous. If you doubt this, then read the letters to the seven churches in the Book of Revelation.
People in religious circles continuously argue about the fine points of tradition as if it was law. But this was the very thing that Christ did not like about them and he called them hypocrites, snakes and vipers. He felt that their traditions undermined the intent of the law. They hated him for speaking the truth. But I find that both in and out of religion.
All I can say is, believe on Christ. Religion is nothing more than man applying his philosophy to God's Word. But strip away the philosophy and what is left is truth. If you can't see the truth, then you will not rise above this life. Your spirit will perish along with the lie that has mastered you.
What proof is offered? None. Have faith in the truth, the rewards are greater than you can imagine.

Perhaps evil is the absence of God?

That's been one of my perceptions for a while. Anything not in 100% communion with God is in Hell.

which god? and when should he/she/it/they be followed? Should the books of popular gods such as the torah, bible, and koran be taken literally? does any deviation from the exact words take you "out of communion" with god? What if you think you are following god but in fact are being led astray by the 1000s of times the book you look for guidance in was translated and manipulated?

The God....the one that transcends all of human's attempts to locate, describe, and define the God described in all religions.

The God....the one that transcends all of human's attempts to locate, describe, and define the God described in all religions.

nice cop out

nice cop out

Fuck off you bigoted jackass. You have nothing but whiny bowlshit to serve.

Forum List

Back