Why I support reparations — and all conservatives should

This speaks for itself.

Like most conservatives, I’ve scoffed at the idea of reparations or a formal apology for slavery. I did not own slaves, so why would I support my government using my tax dollars for reparations or issuing an apology? Further, no one in the United States has been legally enslaved since 1865, so why are Black people today owed anything more than the same freedoms and opportunities that I enjoy?

I remain unconvinced that an apology would have much real value, but the more substantive notion of reparations is worth discussing. In fact, it could be argued that the idea fits within the conservative philosophy. We’ll come back to that. But it is undeniable that White people have disproportionately benefitted from both the labor and the legacy of slavery, and — crucially — will continue to do so for generations to come.

When slavery was abolished after a bloody civil war, African Americans were dispersed into a world that was overtly hostile to them. Reconstruction efforts were bitterly resisted by most Southern Whites, and attempts to educate and employ former slaves happened only in fits and starts. The government even reneged on its “40 acres and a mule” pledge. After slavery, prejudice and indifference continued to fuel social and economic disparity.

The result is unsurprising. As noted by scholars A. Kirsten Mullen and William A. Darity Jr., co-authors of “From Here to Equality: Reparations for Black Americans in the Twenty-First Century,” data from the 2016 Survey of Consumer Finances showed that median Black household net worth averaged $17,600 — a little more than one-tenth of median White net worth. As Mullen and Darity write, “white parents, on average, can provide their children with wealth-related intergenerational advantages to a far greater degree than black parents. When parents offer gifts to help children buy a home, avoid student debt, or start a business, those children are more able to retain and build on their wealth over their own lifetimes.”

Black author and activist Randall Robinson has argued that even laws such as those on affirmative action “will never close the economic gap. This gap is structural. … blacks, even middle-class blacks, have no paper assets to speak of. They may be salaried, but they’re only a few months away from poverty if they should lose those jobs, because … they’ve had nothing to hand down from generation to generation because of the ravages of discrimination and segregation, which were based in law until recently.”

In addition to the discrepancy in inherited wealth, even conservatives should be able to acknowledge that Whites enjoy generational associations in the business world, where who you know often counts more than what you know — a reality based not so much on overt racism as on employment and promotion

You support reparations because you're a fucking looter. who doesn't have the balls to actually go out and steal from people.

View attachment 483244
You can just shut your mouth white boy because the person in the OP is one of your fellow republicans.
This will come as a shock to you, but Republicans are not one monolithic hive mind.

Prediction: You will not accept this, and will mindlessly lash out with some nonsense that will boil down to NUH UH!!

Save it. Not interested.
I know what republicans are, you guys seem unable to understand thats why most of of us support democrats.
You support democrats because you're too stupid to recognize that you're a chump.

This speaks for itself.

Like most conservatives, I’ve scoffed at the idea of reparations or a formal apology for slavery. I did not own slaves, so why would I support my government using my tax dollars for reparations or issuing an apology? Further, no one in the United States has been legally enslaved since 1865, so why are Black people today owed anything more than the same freedoms and opportunities that I enjoy?

I remain unconvinced that an apology would have much real value, but the more substantive notion of reparations is worth discussing. In fact, it could be argued that the idea fits within the conservative philosophy. We’ll come back to that. But it is undeniable that White people have disproportionately benefitted from both the labor and the legacy of slavery, and — crucially — will continue to do so for generations to come.

When slavery was abolished after a bloody civil war, African Americans were dispersed into a world that was overtly hostile to them. Reconstruction efforts were bitterly resisted by most Southern Whites, and attempts to educate and employ former slaves happened only in fits and starts. The government even reneged on its “40 acres and a mule” pledge. After slavery, prejudice and indifference continued to fuel social and economic disparity.

The result is unsurprising. As noted by scholars A. Kirsten Mullen and William A. Darity Jr., co-authors of “From Here to Equality: Reparations for Black Americans in the Twenty-First Century,” data from the 2016 Survey of Consumer Finances showed that median Black household net worth averaged $17,600 — a little more than one-tenth of median White net worth. As Mullen and Darity write, “white parents, on average, can provide their children with wealth-related intergenerational advantages to a far greater degree than black parents. When parents offer gifts to help children buy a home, avoid student debt, or start a business, those children are more able to retain and build on their wealth over their own lifetimes.”

Black author and activist Randall Robinson has argued that even laws such as those on affirmative action “will never close the economic gap. This gap is structural. … blacks, even middle-class blacks, have no paper assets to speak of. They may be salaried, but they’re only a few months away from poverty if they should lose those jobs, because … they’ve had nothing to hand down from generation to generation because of the ravages of discrimination and segregation, which were based in law until recently.”

In addition to the discrepancy in inherited wealth, even conservatives should be able to acknowledge that Whites enjoy generational associations in the business world, where who you know often counts more than what you know — a reality based not so much on overt racism as on employment and promotion

Complete bullshit.

If you want reparations, demand that they come straight from the DNC coffers, not from the US taxpayers. The US government didn't own slaves.

After all, the Democrats supported slavery, not Republicans. Republicans bought the slaves their freedom with their blood and money.

If anything, you owe Republicans, you fucking ungrateful scumbag.

Last edited:
This speaks for itself.

Oh good grief--the stupidity of it all. Blacks, well atleast some like whites, became quit rich back then---many blacks were free, several owned slaves themselves, many supported the south during the civil war. Its retarded to claim slavery so many generations ago prevented blacks from becoming rich. Stop with your get rich scams---you deserve no repariations..........and you might want to note that there are many poor whites and many poor whites that WORKED their way out of poverty as have many blacks. Just because you committed to crimes, lie to much, do to many drugs, have skills or are just lazy doesn't many everyone else is like you. You want money? Get off your ass and go earn it yourself.

Westvall,

No one gives a fuck if you don't agree.

This speaks for itself.

Complete bullshit.

If you want reparations, demand that they come straight from the DNC coffers, not from the US taxpayers. The US government didn't own slaves.

After all, the Democrats supported slavery, not Republicans. Republicans bought the slaves their freedom with their blood and money.

If anything, you owe Republicans, you fucking ungrateful scumbag.
Shut the fuck up. The government did this, republicans and democrats.

1. The republican party is the party of the Corwin Amendment that would have made slavery constitutional.
  2. The republican party is the party of the 1876 Compromise that ended reconstruction and paved the way for Jim Crow.
  3. 4 out of the 7 votes in for separate but equal in Plessy v. Ferguson were republican and that decision made Jim Crow national law.
  4. In 1964 the Republican party turned it’s back on blacks after nearly 100 years of solid black support.
  5. Today’s Republican Party is controlled by an Anti-Black base.

Slavery was a catastrophic mistake for this country. We paid very dearly to end it. Hundreds of thousands of mothers' sons died for the error. It should be noted that these were almost exclusively people whom we identify as "white". If that didn't pay for the country's sin, nothing will, so filthy money would only be a poor, insulting diversion.

Slavery was a catastrophic mistake for this country. We paid very dearly to end it. Hundreds of thousands of mothers' sons died for the error. It should be noted that these were almost exclusively people whom we identify as "white". If that didn't pay for the country's sin, nothing will, so filthy money would only be a poor, insulting diversion.
The problem with this narrative is that you ignore the at least 4 million blacks who died in slavery and in fighting it. Secondly the 100 years after slavery seems to aviod most whites who think like you. You are paying "filthy money" on an annual basis to native Americans. So you don't have any excuses.

The problem with this narrative is that you ignore the at least 4 million blacks who died in slavery and in fighting it. Secondly the 100 years after slavery seems to aviod most whites who think like you. You are paying "filthy money" on an annual basis to native Americans. So you don't have any excuses.
"I" need and seek no "excuses". This insistence on race is part of the enemy. As a human, skin color doesn't much matter to me; everyone is some color. Every group had slaves at some time. It is another symptom of humanity's failure to understand existence. Further dividing along those sick lines only furthers the sickness.
Continue on your path and learn your lessons. It won't be fun.

This speaks for itself.

Oh good grief--the stupidity of it all. Blacks, well atleast some like whites, became quit rich back then---many blacks were free, several owned slaves themselves, many supported the south during the civil war. Its retarded to claim slavery so many generations ago prevented blacks from becoming rich. Stop with your get rich scams---you deserve no repariations..........and you might want to note tha there are many poor whites and many poor whites that WORKED their way out of poverty as have many blacks. Just because you committed to crimes, lie to much, do to many drugs, have skills or are just lazy doesn't many everyone else is like you. You want money? Get off your ass and go earn it yourself.
Piss poor excuses. Many blacks were not free, very few got rich, the first black millionaire came years after slavery ended and the government paid reparations to descendants of the people that seceeded from the unupn and waged war against the US. Blacks bought their enslaved spouses and children. Blacks did not support the south during the civil war. Slaves were made to work labor for the confederacy. That is not support.

Your opinion is full of lies and is ignorant of history.

I have a college degree. I built or helped to develop 3 separate businesses. I have committed no crimes. The simple truth is the government enacted policies that were detrimental to blacks and still does. We are owed money and the government of this country owes it to us.

You pay native americans every year and you will pay them for as long as this is a country. Your argument is weak, do some research and try again.

"I" need and seek no "excuses". This insistence on race is part of the enemy. As a human, skin color doesn't much matter to me; everyone is some color. Every group had slaves at some time. It is another symptom of humanity's failure to understand existence. Further dividing along those sick lines only furthers the sickness.
But you made excuses. That every group had slaves line has no merit in this discussion. You are paying native Americans reparations and will do so all your life, so your argument just has no substance. The divide was created by whites who decided we weren't hujman and made that the law from 1776-1965. So if you think things are even after 55 years, wrong. The past is why whites have 13 times the amount of accumulated wealth than blacks. It would not be this way if things had not been done as they were.

This speaks for itself.

You support reparations because you're a fucking looter. who doesn't have the balls to actually go out and steal from people.

View attachment 483244
You can just shut your mouth white boy because the person in the OP is one of your fellow republicans.
This will come as a shock to you, but Republicans are not one monolithic hive mind.

Prediction: You will not accept this, and will mindlessly lash out with some nonsense that will boil down to NUH UH!!

Save it. Not interested.
I know what republicans are, you guys seem unable to understand thats why most of of us support democrats.
You support democrats because you're too stupid to recognize that you're a chump.

I support democrats because:
  1. The republican party is the party of the Corwin Amendment that would have made slavery constitutional.
  2. The republican party is the party of the 1876 Compromise that ended reconstruction and paved the way for Jim Crow.
  3. 4 out of the 7 votes in for separate but equal in Plessy v. Ferguson were republican and that decision made Jim Crow national law.
  4. In 1964 the Republican party turned it’s back on blacks after nearly 100 years of solid black support.

This speaks for itself.

Get a job.

But you made excuses. That every group had slaves line has no merit in this discussion. You are paying native Americans reparations and will do so all your life, so your argument just has no substance. The divide was created by whites who decided we weren't hujman and made that the law from 1776-1965. So if you think things are even after 55 years, wrong. The past is why whites have 13 times the amount of accumulated wealth than blacks. It would not be this way if things had not been done as they were.
Statements of facts are not synonymous with excuses, but it isn't that you don't know how to read. It isn't that you don't understand. It is that you insist on an agenda as erroneous as slavery itself.

That's all irrelevant bullshit and/or lies. Gimme my reparations, you stupid ungrateful bastard.

The federal government ended slavery, they never started it. If anything Blacks should pay reparations to offspring of whites of who were drafted and died fighting in the Civil War.

This speaks for itself.

View attachment 483244

Save it. Not interested.
Republicans believe black people are smart enough and good enough to succeed in life without help.

Democrats disagree.

And you agree with Democrats.

Pathetic.

Forum List

Back