Why is Building the Wall Wrong?

Let me tell you, our industry is flooded with foreigners. Cheap companies don't want to pay good money and lazy Americans don't want to take the jobs. So more and more companies are turning to foreigners.

They come here and are operating 75,000 lbs vehicles on the road with no ability to read road signs. These are terrible drivers to boot. Yes, they are driving right next to your vehicle on the highway. Besides the danger to Americans, they are keeping our wages lower because companies can pay them squat.

It's not just my industry, it's happening in nearly every industry. The ones that don't work or work low wage jobs are costing us taxpayers billions of dollars every year. That's money I work for that could go to better things like taking care of our homeless vets or reduce the deficit. And I don't want to hear about all these phony advantages because the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

See - occasionally the are honest. The Wall is just protectionism for lazy Americans.

Do you really believe that wall couldn't be compromised?

Sure it could. So can prison fences. So can jails. It happens now and then. But the point is it makes it much more difficult for those that are hell bent on trying. For the rest, they will realize the efforts and risks are too great, and they payoff (if any) not worthy. Because even if they could draw the attention by getting past a wall, it likely won't be long until a border agent on the other side arrests them and sends them back to the other side.
Keep in mind the wall is really an unknown factor. It may be solid or slats. It may have barbed wire, electric wire, or nothing on top. Once it's built it becomes a known factor and can not easily be changed. That means coyotes will figure out the fastest method of crossing which maybe ladders, climbing carabiners, or some type power lift. However, you can be sure once the fence is built people are going to cross it. You can't stop them No wall can keep people out if they have access to the right equipment. It can only delay crossing. People who have crossed existing border walls estimated that the delay would only be 1 to 2 minutes over current reinforced fencing. That might be useful in densely populated area but in remote ares which are 85% of the border a couple of minutes delay would be meaningless.

Then why are other countries with similar problems to the US reporting great success with their wall? Will it stop each and every one? Probably not. But if the reduction is 75% or better, it's money well spent.

A&B mostly. Most illegal immigration does not come over the border by foot. And if we’re 21T in debt, a quarter T on building a wall is not a good investment.

So as an immigration barrier, it’s a bad idea; also in the stark light of the reality that illegal immigration has been largely beneficial to the economy despite the horror stories and cherry picked anecdotes.

That being said, it seems to me that a fantastic idea would be to create an alternative to the Panama canal from San Diego to Brownsville TX or so that allows goods to bypass the trip through Central America and can possibly bring irrigation to the desert Southwest. Not right along the border but something like that would serve multiple purposes;

Jobs during the construction
Immigration barrier to those that do cross illegally
Irrigation
Commerce
National Security.

All a pipe dream.
It would be a multi decade project of course and We don’t do big things any longer.

Space Force!
A quarter T? Who said the wall was going to cost 250 billion? I've seen estimates of somewhere around 20 billion on the high end

Not sure what in the hell I was thinking. A quarter B once you factor in buying the land, doing environmental studies, maintenance, etc seems high as well.

The fact that the wall will not do what it is being sold stands though.
It won't stop every single person but if you think it won't at least significantly slow down the influx I don't know what to tell you

Slow the influx is true. Significantly...doubtful
You put up a wall and those that wade across the Rio Grande will just stuff themselves into trucks or onto ships. Those who do this sort of smuggling are pelrisoners to market forces too. They will charge less if they have more customers.

Or save up, fly to Canada and take a leisurely stroll into Montana.

Well you have an option.

1. Spend 47 BILLION dollars on a wall or steel slates that we know doesn't work
2. Go with the recommendations of border security experts and use high technology to secure the border. Something that would be more effective and cost efficient.

So WTF are you getting this 47 billion dollar figure from? Trump is asking for 5.8.

We know a wall will work because of the many other places around the world (and in the US) where they do work.

We need a wall because it's a permanent object; something the Democrats can't remove like they can with , laws and technology. We all know Democrats want as many illegals in this country as possible, and a wall will stop their attempts should they regain total control over the federal government. It's why they fill your heads with this crap that a wall won't work. Democrats are scared to death of a wall not because it won't work, but because it will. If they really believed what they told you, they wouldn't give the slightest fight over it. They would be able to use it's failure for the next couple of generations.

The wall is life or death to Democrats. That's why they are willing to shutdown the government over it. No matter what it costs, they are not going to allow it to be built because it's success would ruin their entire plot.

The $5 billion isn’t to pay for the wall. It’s to start construction. The wall will cost at least $25 billion and probably closer to $40 billion. And then there’s another $200 million contract for the fir profit prison people to run the tent cities.

5.8 billion builds quite a bit of wall. The most porous areas will be targeted first; the areas our border patrol has the most problems with. Yes, we could always use more money for the wall. The more money--the more effective. However anything that can be built will be a help to our border agents and perhaps save a life or two.

A- Cost prohibitive
B- Won't work
C- It's racist
D- It would reduce those successfully crossing the border
E- None of the Above

The machine benefits by not having a wall. Business (Republicans) get their cheap labor and (Democrats) get the votes

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours

There is no excuse for the Republicans not funding the wall.

-Geaux
What is wrong with building the wall? I voted for Trump. Trump is wrong, like the liberals. We need to tear down the border wall. What we really need make a national identity card. Linked to fingerprints. You don't get a job if you can't prove your identity linked to your real immigration status . Why Replicratrats are so opposed to that, boggles my mind.

Well, let me help you unboggle your mind. Why not start by reading Orwell's book 1984. It was a warning in the form of a novel.

The government big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take all you have... a quote by a famous Republican

Nobody on the right is asking the government to "give" us anything. We are asking the government to stop something that we citizens cannot stop by ourselves. Big difference.

You are asking taxpayers to pay more than $25 billion for something that doesn’t work and that Trump promised Mexico would pay for. Furthermore, Trump is putting tens of thousands of people into custody in tent cities at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Trump is spending millions and millions and just making the situation worse.

If we had a wall we wouldn't need tent cities.

Yes, a wall will work. How do we know? They work so well in other places and I provided you the links for my claim. If you missed them, just ask, I'll post them again.

How do YOU know a wall won't work? CNN and Democrats told you so and you just simply believe them. So I'll side with evidence while you side with brainwashing. I think the odds are in my favor here.

Sure it could. So can prison fences. So can jails. It happens now and then. But the point is it makes it much more difficult for those that are hell bent on trying. For the rest, they will realize the efforts and risks are too great, and they payoff (if any) not worthy. Because even if they could draw the attention by getting past a wall, it likely won't be long until a border agent on the other side arrests them and sends them back to the other side.
Keep in mind the wall is really an unknown factor. It may be solid or slats. It may have barbed wire, electric wire, or nothing on top. Once it's built it becomes a known factor and can not easily be changed. That means coyotes will figure out the fastest method of crossing which maybe ladders, climbing carabiners, or some type power lift. However, you can be sure once the fence is built people are going to cross it. You can't stop them No wall can keep people out if they have access to the right equipment. It can only delay crossing. People who have crossed existing border walls estimated that the delay would only be 1 to 2 minutes over current reinforced fencing. That might be useful in densely populated area but in remote ares which are 85% of the border a couple of minutes delay would be meaningless.

Then why are other countries with similar problems to the US reporting great success with their wall? Will it stop each and every one? Probably not. But if the reduction is 75% or better, it's money well spent.

Good point Ray

i looked that up a while ago

the results are less than stellar i'm afraid.....

~S~

Here is the first disconnect with those who want to build a border wall.

The REASON THE WALL WON'T WORK HERE IS DUE TO THE SIMPLE FACT THAT IT IS INTENDED SOLELY TO PREVENT HUMAN BEINGS FROM ENGAGING IN OTHERWISE LEGAL ACTIVITIES.

Unlike the Israelis, we are not in a state of war with our neighbors. The American people are WILLINGLY participating in free trade.

The build the wall advocates here keep asking the same questions and keep getting the same answers. It is not in the interests of the American people to start a process that infringes upon the Rights of those who WILLINGLY engage in business with foreign neighbors.

You could regulate the trade, but you are not ever going to keep the foreigners out unless and until you change your own behavior.

You do know we have border check points right?

And we are in a drug war with Mexico we just gave the like 5 billion dollars over the next few years

If we're in a war with drugs, how come we're trying to have a fight with humans? Saudis attack the World Trade Center and we attack Iraq. That morphs into a nearly two decade old war; nothing is settled and Trump declares victory. A war on drugs? You lose.

The REASON THE WALL WON'T WORK HERE IS DUE TO THE SIMPLE FACT THAT IT IS INTENDED SOLELY TO PREVENT HUMAN BEINGS FROM ENGAGING IN OTHERWISE LEGAL ACTIVITIES.

Unlike the Israelis, we are not in a state of war with our neighbors. The American people are WILLINGLY participating in free trade.

The build the wall advocates here keep asking the same questions and keep getting the same answers. It is not in the interests of the American people to start a process that infringes upon the Rights of those who WILLINGLY engage in business with foreign neighbors.

You could regulate the trade, but you are not ever going to keep the foreigners out unless and until you change your own behavior.

So how would a wall interfere in free trade? People come here to work, make money, and ship that money back home. Working is part of our behavior in America. Producing is part of our behavior in America.
this is an actual and Express power delegated to Congress: To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

There is no Express wall building power.

Upgrading Ellis Island is more cost effective and humane.

Let me tell you, our industry is flooded with foreigners. Cheap companies don't want to pay good money and lazy Americans don't want to take the jobs. So more and more companies are turning to foreigners.

They come here and are operating 75,000 lbs vehicles on the road with no ability to read road signs. These are terrible drivers to boot. Yes, they are driving right next to your vehicle on the highway. Besides the danger to Americans, they are keeping our wages lower because companies can pay them squat.

It's not just my industry, it's happening in nearly every industry. The ones that don't work or work low wage jobs are costing us taxpayers billions of dollars every year. That's money I work for that could go to better things like taking care of our homeless vets or reduce the deficit. And I don't want to hear about all these phony advantages because the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

See - occasionally the are honest. The Wall is just protectionism for lazy Americans.

What kind of assnine post is that?

You still can't comprehend the difference between legal and illegal?

We do have legal immagration

The FACT that you are making the idiotic and erroneous claim that you have debunked the facts disproving your claims adds to that body of evidence that you don't understand how the nutty wall idea is going to destroy YOUR Liberty.

How the heck does protecting our borders so we can have liberty from 3 Rd world shit holes like Mexico, destroy our libertys?

Let's see if we can put this in language that even you can understand.

With the wall will come the enforcement. There will be things both seen and UNSEEN. For example, the Constitution Free Zone will be vigorously enforced. There go your constitutional Liberties within 100 miles of the border. And there will be more.

If you would go off the attack, STFU and quit posting every five minutes, I would explain it to you.

Who cares I don't live 100 miles of the border...and it should be that way.

You do know the USA is almost 4 million square miles right?

I know that over half the U.S. population lives within 100 miles of the border.

Border or do you mean water?

BORDER

And now the truth comes out. You fantasize about living in a prison. Keep pointing that gun in your avatar. When the wall debate is over and you have, the left is going to take that gun and stick it up your arse under the pretext of making you safe.

You are really out there. Boy did they see you coming.

A wall does one thing and one thing only: keep invaders out of our country. It won't change our politics, it won't change our laws, it won't affect any part of the Constitution, it won't decide which party leads our country It's just a wall which will be built for one goal to solve one problem. Nothing else changes.

Your problem is, NOBODY is invading. It's a quid pro quo willing relationship. See what not taking those controlled substances is doing to your ability to understand?

A&B mostly. Most illegal immigration does not come over the border by foot. And if we’re 21T in debt, a quarter T on building a wall is not a good investment.

So as an immigration barrier, it’s a bad idea; also in the stark light of the reality that illegal immigration has been largely beneficial to the economy despite the horror stories and cherry picked anecdotes.

That being said, it seems to me that a fantastic idea would be to create an alternative to the Panama canal from San Diego to Brownsville TX or so that allows goods to bypass the trip through Central America and can possibly bring irrigation to the desert Southwest. Not right along the border but something like that would serve multiple purposes;

Irrigation
Commerce
National Security.

All a pipe dream.
It would be a multi decade project of course and We don’t do big things any longer.

Space Force!
A quarter T? Who said the wall was going to cost 250 billion? I've seen estimates of somewhere around 20 billion on the high end

Not sure what in the hell I was thinking. A quarter B once you factor in buying the land, doing environmental studies, maintenance, etc seems high as well.

It won't stop every single person but if you think it won't at least significantly slow down the influx I don't know what to tell you

You put up a wall and those that wade across the Rio Grande will just stuff themselves into trucks or onto ships. Those who do this sort of smuggling are pelrisoners to market forces too. They will charge less if they have more customers.

People die in those ships and trucks. Others get busted in them. It's a risk many others won't take. That's how deterrents work.

And we are in a drug war with Mexico we just gave the like 5 billion dollars over the next few years

If we're in a war with drugs, how come we're trying to have a fight with humans? Saudis attack the World Trade Center and we attack Iraq. That morphs into a nearly two decade old war; nothing is settled and Trump declares victory. A war on drugs? You lose.

So you have no problem with drug cartels killing people over your drugs?

Like I said you want anarchy and turn America into a 3rd world shit hole

Irrigation
Commerce
National Security.

All a pipe dream.

Space Force!

People die in those ships and trucks. Others get busted in them. It's a risk many others won't take. That's how deterrents work.
Ok

A- Cost prohibitive
B- Won't work
C- It's racist
D- It would reduce those successfully crossing the border
E- None of the Above

The machine benefits by not having a wall. Business (Republicans) get their cheap labor and (Democrats) get the votes

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours

There is no excuse for the Republicans not funding the wall.

-Geaux
What is wrong with building the wall? I voted for Trump. Trump is wrong, like the liberals. We need to tear down the border wall. What we really need make a national identity card. Linked to fingerprints. You don't get a job if you can't prove your identity linked to your real immigration status . Why Replicratrats are so opposed to that, boggles my mind.

Well, let me help you unboggle your mind. Why not start by reading Orwell's book 1984. It was a warning in the form of a novel.

The government big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take all you have... a quote by a famous Republican

Nobody on the right is asking the government to "give" us anything. We are asking the government to stop something that we citizens cannot stop by ourselves. Big difference.

You want the government to give you a wall for whatever reason you can conjure up as the discussion proceeds. You don't really know why you want it, other than you think Trump is God and you have to move the goalposts accordingly. But, you want him to give you a wall.

Industry is flooded with foreigners because people like you got hooked on drugs and can't think. So you sit on your ass all day, every day whining about a wall around America.

You and more than 11 MILLION Americans could work a job, but choose not to. The jobs are out there - and at good wages. But, it is easier for some of you to sit around, living off the welfare, and not even wanting to create ways to get Americans back on the job.

And now the truth comes out. You fantasize about living in a prison. Keep pointing that gun in your avatar. When the wall debate is over and you have, the left is going to take that gun and stick it up your arse under the pretext of making you safe.

You are really out there. Boy did they see you coming.

A wall does one thing and one thing only: keep invaders out of our country. It won't change our politics, it won't change our laws, it won't affect any part of the Constitution, it won't decide which party leads our country It's just a wall which will be built for one goal to solve one problem. Nothing else changes.

Your problem is, NOBODY is invading. It's a quid pro quo willing relationship. See what not taking those controlled substances is doing to your ability to understand?

By the way you talk, maybe it's time you start taking them.

If you are in your kitchen and a stranger walks into your home and sits down on your couch, are they invading your home? If they break a locked window to get in, are they invading your home? When a person sneaks into the country, are they not invading our country? They are breaking our laws, they are uninvited, they have no permission to be here, but you don't consider that an invasion?

How the heck does protecting our borders so we can have liberty from 3 Rd world shit holes like Mexico, destroy our libertys?

Let's see if we can put this in language that even you can understand.

With the wall will come the enforcement. There will be things both seen and UNSEEN. For example, the Constitution Free Zone will be vigorously enforced. There go your constitutional Liberties within 100 miles of the border. And there will be more.

If you would go off the attack, STFU and quit posting every five minutes, I would explain it to you.

Who cares I don't live 100 miles of the border...and it should be that way.

You do know the USA is almost 4 million square miles right?

I know that over half the U.S. population lives within 100 miles of the border.

Border or do you mean water?

BORDER

So you don't know geography now?

You want the government to give you a wall for whatever reason you can conjure up as the discussion proceeds. You don't really know why you want it, other than you think Trump is God and you have to move the goalposts accordingly. But, you want him to give you a wall.

Industry is flooded with foreigners because people like you got hooked on drugs and can't think. So you sit on your ass all day, every day whining about a wall around America.

You and more than 11 MILLION Americans could work a job, but choose not to. The jobs are out there - and at good wages. But, it is easier for some of you to sit around, living off the welfare, and not even wanting to create ways to get Americans back on the job.

And who built the welfare state the left, you.

So you have no problem with drug cartels killing people over your drugs?

Like I said you want anarchy and turn America into a 3rd world shit hole

Do you have the capability of being deliberately honest? A few times you have an honest moment, but this kind of idiocy makes everyone - even your supporters (though they dare not utter it publicly) question your ethical standards as well as your understanding.

PART of my number one solution is to get people off drugs and back into the workforce. YOU OPPOSED THAT.

Building a wall just ups the ante where people will use violence to get drugs and the cartels will use more violence to get them here. That will bring in cries for more government control, more surveillance, gun control, etc.

Stop generational drug use.

And who built the welfare state the left, you.

Porter isn't "left". Neither am I. I know it gnaws at you, but the best arguments against your cowardly wall are coming from real conservatives and libertarians - not "the left".

I think you really need a professional to advise you about those voices in your head. I've told you repeatedly I do work. But those voices tell you something different. You really need to have that checked out. And tell the shrink how I told you repeatedly I don't take drugs, but those voices in your head keep insisting I do.

Forum List

Back