Why is the gay community afraid of "conversion therapy"?

Conversion therapy (also known as reparative therapy) is a range of treatments that aim to change sexual orientation from homosexual to heterosexual. Such treatments have been criticized for being pseudo-scientific.
Conversion therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The major premise of conversion therapy advocates is that majority of homosexuals are NOT genetically pre-disposed but a learned behavior.

So if the gay community believes so strongly that there is a "I gotta be me" genetic coding that pre-disposes a person to homosexuality why are they so afraid?

So afraid that "conversion therapy aimed at turning gay kids straight will soon be illegal in California, with the state's governor declaring he hopes a new law will relegate such efforts "to the dustbin of quackery."
This bill bans non-scientific 'therapies' that have driven young people to depression and suicide," Brown tweeted. "These practices have no basis in science or medicine."
California governor OKs ban on gay conversion therapy, calling it 'quackery' - CNN.com

Why is there such angst about something that a gay MUST be?

I have NO doubt some "suicides" but HOW MANY ? Where are the facts Mr. Brown?

People are gay for two reasons:
1) they truly were born with a genetic pre-disposition to homosexuality
2) The behavior is learned.

Those are the ONLY two ways that a homosexual IS a homosexual.

I would like anyone to refute that.

Tell us how easy is it so "learn" to suc..............

Pretty easy for men!
Remember this line from full mental jacket movie???

Most men will NOT reject a blow job. True.
That doesn't make them candidates for the gay life style though!
The whole premise is men have millions of sperm so ejaculation is a good feeling whether done by man or woman!
So the majority of males who practice homosexuality is due to these men's desire for ejaculation.
The true "I gotta be me" homosexual as exemplified by the hugging and kissing of their same sex partner is probably a true feeling for their same sex partner and I have no problem with their activities...as long as it is not a PDA...just as I'm not comfortable
with hetrosexual PDA.

But I truly find it laughable how all these homosexual organizations plus medical, psychiatric,etc. are so fearful of these
conversion therapy groups!
If it doesn't work why are they concerned enough to write laws banning it?

I wonder if there is a conversion therapy for willfully ignorant people. A better question is why do you care who other people sleep with?
Why do the same sex couples care what I write unless they are afraid of the truth.

They are afraid of change. Same as the Christians who find out that even after people go through spiritual healing, some may remain homosexual. Or Atheist. Or come out transgender AFTER healing. So that goes against their theory that all such people can change. Some can, some cannot. Both sides are going to have to stretch to understand and include the cases that don't find their mindset. Both sides resist change and find it easier to blame the other for faults when both are biased.

I agree with you! So why are these anti-conversion groups so fearful then enough to write legislation?

Why is the far-right afraid of progress?

That is funny. The premise here is there are some homosexuals that no longer want that life style and need help which is what
the conversion therapy offers. How would the homosexual community like if legislation was written that made homosexuality illegal.
Wait... there was but these same hypocrites that WANT legislation to prevent conversion therapy picketed, etc. to get do away with
these laws. Isn't that just so hypocritical??

Unlike conversion therapy - this is an unproven theory with very litlle merit. There is miniscule scientific evidence to support it - Not Zero evidence - but pretty darn close to zero.

If by "learned" - you are trying to say that someone taught them to be Gay - also highly unlikely. But it is closer to the Truth than the first option in that it is an acquired trait , not an inherited one.

Mounting evidence tends to indicate the sexual dysphoria a/k/a homosexuality is the result of early chldhood trauma and oedipous issues. Early Childhood trauma could be pre-pubescent or even pre-cognizant repressed memories of abuse or perceived abuse- sometimes of a sexual nature , sometimes not.

"childhood trauma"...?
Then that is behavior modification...i.e. nurture versus nature.
"Childhood trauma behaviors" i.e. behaviors..not genetically predisposed.
Those are the only two ways exhibited behavior occurs. Either you are predisposed or you learn.

I wonder if there is a conversion therapy for willfully ignorant people. A better question is why do you care who other people sleep with?
Why do the same sex couples care what I write unless they are afraid of the truth.

They are afraid of change. Same as the Christians who find out that even after people go through spiritual healing, some may remain homosexual. Or Atheist. Or come out transgender AFTER healing. So that goes against their theory that all such people can change. Some can, some cannot. Both sides are going to have to stretch to understand and include the cases that don't find their mindset. Both sides resist change and find it easier to blame the other for faults when both are biased.

I agree with you! So why are these anti-conversion groups so fearful then enough to write legislation?

It's overcompensation for not protecting youth from forced gender reassignment which is much more dangerous to push on teenagers, who haven't had the free choice of full information and therapy before making permanent decisions like surgery!

Boy Drugged By Lesbian Parents To Be A Girl US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

You ask why the Gay Community is afraid of Conversion Therapy? Well, it should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that the short answer to that is that it is DANGEROUS and that it does not work. Included are really good websites many with references to medical, psychiatric, psychological, and other associations and organizations that speak of the ineffectiveness of Gay Conversion Therapy. Please read ALL of them so that you can thoroughly understand why the Gay Community will not use that stuff.

Former Love In Action Director John Smid: Homosexuality Is Not a Choice and Can?t Be Changed | Truth Wins Out

The Lies and Dangers of Efforts to Change Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity | Resources | Human Rights Campaign

All 50 States Should Protect LGBT Youth From ?Ex-Gay? Charlatans | Truth Wins Out

5 Things You Should Know About Gay Conversion Therapy

You said it is "DANGEROUS"... how? What is the danger?

My simple point is if the majority of homosexuals are genetically predisposed... conversion therapy would not be helpful.
But if a small minority of homosexuals are because they have been exposed, i.e. young boys with same sex parents,
young boys who are extremely sexually active need releases and gay behavior is synonymous with promiscuity.

There is absolutely NO logical rational reason to ban conversion therapy. If there are physical/psychological dangers, those
should be regulated, but why if it doesn't work are homosexuals so angst about it?

Conversion therapy (also known as reparative therapy) is a range of treatments that aim to change sexual orientation from homosexual to heterosexual. Such treatments have been criticized for being pseudo-scientific.

The major premise of conversion therapy advocates is that majority of homosexuals are NOT genetically pre-disposed but a learned behavior.

So if the gay community believes so strongly that there is a "I gotta be me" genetic coding that pre-disposes a person to homosexuality why are they so afraid?

So afraid that "conversion therapy aimed at turning gay kids straight will soon be illegal in California, with the state's governor declaring he hopes a new law will relegate such efforts "to the dustbin of quackery."
This bill bans non-scientific 'therapies' that have driven young people to depression and suicide," Brown tweeted. "These practices have no basis in science or medicine."
California governor OKs ban on gay conversion therapy, calling it 'quackery' - CNN.com

OK. First of all there is a consensus amongst medical and mental health professionals that homosexuality is NOT a learned behavior. Is not about genetics either. It is about brain chemistry. The same place where gender dysphoria comes from. It can also manifest itself in people who have had traumatic childhood sexual abuse but, in most cases, it is about how one's brain is wired.

That being said, this link will educate you:

The Lies and Dangers of Efforts to Change Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity | Resources | Human Rights Campaign

So the "wired" brain JUST happens to be wired "gay"?? Is that the point? NO outside influences. No special juices be drunk
that chemical alters the brain functions? I mean explain how brain wiring just miraculously be straight or gay?
That is so funny!

Needless to say gay Americans aren’t ‘afraid’ of hateful, ignorant lies such as "conversion therapy," they appropriately and correctly denounce it along with other manifestations of animus toward homosexuals.
And I agree...they have every right to "denounce" conversion therapy!
Not in dispute here.
What is though WHY when they wanted laws changed to allow homosexual behavior that's OK... but when free will conversion therapy electees want help they will be breaking the law, that is hypocritical!

What gets me is Liberal Democrats will defend the FREE CHOICE of ABORTION
and won't ban that, which is far more dangerous and risky of causing additional harmful complications.
How is the harm and damage of fraudulent conversion therapy abused to torture and scar people
any worse than the harms associated with abortion? The rightwing gets attacked for wanting to ban that!
Because "free choice" trumps trying to prevent the harms by banning it. Where's the "free choice" of conversion therapy?

drifter also pointed out if people defend teenagers "right to choose" abortion without consent of parents
what about teenagers' right of choice in other matters? this gets really crazy if you look at all the biases in different cases,
demanding choice in some cases but denying and banning free choice in others [including health care mandates]
Clearly it's all politicized. There are enough cases to prove that the Democrats should get sued for political discrimination.

You can rally behind your private political religion and beliefs all you want. Any group has the right to mandate policies for itself
and its own members that share those beliefs.
But if you abuse public office, public media to spread misrepresentation and misinformation, and legal and legislative
process to pass laws and rulings that exclude and discriminate against other people's beliefs by CREED,
that's conspiring to "violate civil rights" as a collective organization based on pushing discriminatory beliefs into law.

OK. First of all there is a consensus amongst medical and mental health professionals that homosexuality is NOT a learned behavior. Is not about genetics either. It is about brain chemistry. The same place where gender dysphoria comes from. It can also manifest itself in people who have had traumatic childhood sexual abuse but, in most cases, it is about how one's brain is wired.

That being said, this link will educate you:

So the "wired" brain JUST happens to be wired "gay"?? Is that the point? NO outside influences. No special juices be drunk
that chemical alters the brain functions? I mean explain how brain wiring just miraculously be straight or gay?
That is so funny!

I find it is a spiritual process. And the govt cannot be abused to dictate what people can or cannot believe or practice with their spiritual process that is up to individual choice for each person.

As is generally the case the OP on this thread has strayed off in several different directions. The OP being Conversion therapy.

Conversion therapy, Ex Gay or reparative therapy is primarily promoted by the mental health organization, NARTH. NARTH teaches that homosexuality is abnormal, unnatural,undesirable and changeable sexual behavior.

Complete data on conversion theapy is quite often withheld or suppressed. This makes the actual success rate of conversion therapy difficult to guage with any real degree of accuracy. However, several studies have revealed sufficient data which can be utilized to arrive at crude estimate of the conversion success rate:

Studies on conversion therapy for unwanted homosexual attractions yield varying success rates, ranging from 30%-70%, these rates are no different than success rates for other therapeutic practices - However the other therapeutic practices, such as substance abuse and assorted phobias and fetishes are not politically incorrect - criticizing the Gay Agenda and lifestyle is.

A key word in the preceding statement is "unwanted homosexual attractions" - as is the case with other therapeutic practices - treating somebody who doesn't want to be treated and believes they are confortable with their malady is statistically doomed to failure

Being politically charged , politically correct science [Bad Science] will frequently totally disregard the facts, and the agenda of he who shouts the loudest wins.

Socio-Fascists are currently blatantly promoting homosexuality, it is surmised as part of Big Brothers concerted effort to expedite the disintegration of the family structure and reduce the surplus population/ curtail population growth.

So Why is the gay community afraid of "conversion therapy"

It is an admission that their sexual dysphoria -homosexuality is abnormal and something which needs to be treated. If there is no disease , there should not be a need for a cure .
The succes of Conversion Therapy, is the failure of the Gay Agenda - it flies in the face of their ideological agenda and propaganda.

Conversion Therapy is far from the voo-doo quackery preached by the politically correct socio-fascists and useful idiots - it is a viable and effective method of treating a psychologiocally degenerative disease - Homosexuality
Narth goes against all science on this subject.
The Wild Reed: Debunking NARTH (Part I)

Basically they are trying to treat something that isn't a pathology. Homosexuality was removed from the DSM because there is no known pathology that exists in association with it. This hs been studied since the 1950s. I know you have a theory that gaypeople have taken over the APA or bought them out or something like that. Frankly there is no reason for me to believe that, so unless you have evidence, I will think of this like I do the builderburg group. Or Atlantis.

The APA also approved prefrontal lobotomies as well as trepanning. So they are not prone to following fads...i.e. supporting the "I gotta be me" crowd.

In 2008, the organizers of an APA panel on the relationship between religion and homosexuality canceled the event after gay activists objected that "conversion therapists and their supporters on the religious right use these appearances as a public relations event to try and legitimize what they do."[64][65]

Conversion therapy - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

What gets me is Liberal Democrats will defend the FREE CHOICE of ABORTION
and won't ban that, which is far more dangerous and risky of causing additional harmful complications.
How is the harm and damage of fraudulent conversion therapy abused to torture and scar people
any worse than the harms associated with abortion? The rightwing gets attacked for wanting to ban that!
Because "free choice" trumps trying to prevent the harms by banning it. Where's the "free choice" of conversion therapy?

drifter also pointed out if people defend teenagers "right to choose" abortion without consent of parents
what about teenagers' right of choice in other matters? this gets really crazy if you look at all the biases in different cases,
demanding choice in some cases but denying and banning free choice in others [including health care mandates]
Clearly it's all politicized. There are enough cases to prove that the Democrats should get sued for political discrimination.

You can rally behind your private political religion and beliefs all you want. Any group has the right to mandate policies for itself
and its own members that share those beliefs.
But if you abuse public office, public media to spread misrepresentation and misinformation, and legal and legislative
process to pass laws and rulings that exclude and discriminate against other people's beliefs by CREED,
that's conspiring to "violate civil rights" as a collective organization based on pushing discriminatory beliefs into law.

PLUS given this speech by the founder of Planned Parenthood, why would any conscientious gay be so quick to support abortions if they read this:
Facts about Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood:

The entire operation [Sanger's 1939 Negro Project] then was a ruse--a manipulative attempt to get Blacks to cooperate in their own elimination.
The project was quite successful. Its genocidal intentions were carefully camouflaged beneath several layers of condescending social-service rhetoric and organizational expertise. . . Soon clinics throughout the South were distributing contraceptives to Blacks and Margaret's dream of discouraging "the defective and diseased elements of humanity' from their 'reckless and irresponsible swarming and spawning" was at last being fulfilled.
http://www.ewtn.com/library/prolife/ppracism.txt

Tonight, Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) proudly honored reproductive health and rights advocates who have made significant contributions to the advancement of women’s health care through their work promoting prevention and family planning, and presented its highest honor, the PPFA Margaret Sanger Award, to U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton. Secretary Clinton received this award for her unwavering support of women’s health and rights throughout her public service career. Actor America Ferrera co-hosted the event with PPFA President Cecile Richards. - See more at: Planned Parenthood Honors Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton for Her Commitment to Women s Health Care Planned Parenthood

In fact Planned Parenthood founders hated Black children so much their founder said the following:
Like Adolf Hitler, Margaret Sanger considered herself to be part of a genetically superior elite who had to protect themselves against "hereditary taints."
She set out to start a "New Race" - "A Race of Thoroughbreds."
In 1921, Sanger founded the American Birth Control League, which was renamed "Planned Parenthood" in 1942.
In 1952 she helped found the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF), serving as its first president until 1959.
Even today, Planned Parenthood proudly proclaims Margaret Sanger as its "visionary" founder.
The Nuremberg Files Abortion Birth Control Margaret Sanger Founder Planned Parenthood Lancaster PA Pa Abortion Clinic Birth Control Holocaust Murder Nazi German Dictator Adolf Hitler German Eugenics Murder Nazi Germany

YET......President Obama became the first sitting President to address Planned Parenthood this week, speaking to roughly a thousand supporters at the organization’s national conference in Washington, D.C.
The President lauded the organization’s efforts in helping pass Obamacare, particularly the preventative services mandate that is currently trampling on many employers’ fundamental freedom by forcing them to provide and pay for coverage of abortion-inducing drugs and contraception in their health plans.
Obama Vows Support for Planned Parenthood

So this attempt to help people who DON"T want the homosexual lifestyle change is small change compared to the support by obviously the LIP Homosexuals ignorance about abortion, planned parenthood, ethnic cleansing and they support that???

Gays have been through centuries of "conversion therapies". They often consisted of beatings, banishment and lynching

For some reason, they find them offensive

Gays have been through centuries of "conversion therapies". They often consisted of beatings, banishment and lynching

So if they have been so badly treated it is OK then to treat others the same way?
so much for "compassion" feeling people.

So if they have been so badly treated it is OK then to treat others the same way?
I have no idea what you are babbling about

As is generally the case the OP on this thread has strayed off in several different directions. The OP being Conversion therapy.

Conversion therapy, Ex Gay or reparative therapy is primarily promoted by the mental health organization, NARTH. NARTH teaches that homosexuality is abnormal, unnatural,undesirable and changeable sexual behavior.

Complete data on conversion theapy is quite often withheld or suppressed. This makes the actual success rate of conversion therapy difficult to guage with any real degree of accuracy. However, several studies have revealed sufficient data which can be utilized to arrive at crude estimate of the conversion success rate:

Studies on conversion therapy for unwanted homosexual attractions yield varying success rates, ranging from 30%-70%, these rates are no different than success rates for other therapeutic practices - However the other therapeutic practices, such as substance abuse and assorted phobias and fetishes are not politically incorrect - criticizing the Gay Agenda and lifestyle is.

A key word in the preceding statement is "unwanted homosexual attractions" - as is the case with other therapeutic practices - treating somebody who doesn't want to be treated and believes they are confortable with their malady is statistically doomed to failure

Being politically charged , politically correct science [Bad Science] will frequently totally disregard the facts, and the agenda of he who shouts the loudest wins.

Socio-Fascists are currently blatantly promoting homosexuality, it is surmised as part of Big Brothers concerted effort to expedite the disintegration of the family structure and reduce the surplus population/ curtail population growth.

So Why is the gay community afraid of "conversion therapy"

It is an admission that their sexual dysphoria -homosexuality is abnormal and something which needs to be treated. If there is no disease , there should not be a need for a cure .
The succes of Conversion Therapy, is the failure of the Gay Agenda - it flies in the face of their ideological agenda and propaganda.

Conversion Therapy is far from the voo-doo quackery preached by the politically correct socio-fascists and useful idiots - it is a viable and effective method of treating a psychologiocally degenerative disease - Homosexuality
Narth goes against all science on this subject.
The Wild Reed: Debunking NARTH (Part I)

Basically they are trying to treat something that isn't a pathology. Homosexuality was removed from the DSM because there is no known pathology that exists in association with it. This hs been studied since the 1950s. I know you have a theory that gaypeople have taken over the APA or bought them out or something like that. Frankly there is no reason for me to believe that, so unless you have evidence, I will think of this like I do the builderburg group. Or Atlantis.

The APA also approved prefrontal lobotomies as well as trepanning. So they are not prone to following fads...i.e. supporting the "I gotta be me" crowd.

In 2008, the organizers of an APA panel on the relationship between religion and homosexuality canceled the event after gay activists objected that "conversion therapists and their supporters on the religious right use these appearances as a public relations event to try and legitimize what they do."[64][65]

Conversion therapy - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
So you think the Apa is not credible because they don't support a so called "therapy" that has no clinical trials, no thesis, no method, and no understanding about the subject they intend to meddle with?

If they could legitimize it, it would be legitimate. Can we change somebody's sexual orientation? What purpose would there be for doing so? So far the misnamed "conversion therapy" has what kind of success rate?

I'm sorry, I don't buy the conspiracy theory that the Apa is controlled by the gays.

If they supported any kind of church provided therapy they would lose credibility. That is wise of them not to.

Any "therapist" that supports converting people's sexuality, can start an association of their own and then battle for legitimacy. I wish them luck.

I don't see how gay people in general are treating others badly. So no it's not okay or relevant.

Ask yourself how you'd feel about being locked up somewhere and people tried to make you gay.

Ask yourself how you'd feel about being locked up somewhere and people tried to make you gay.

Called an intervention and done ALL the time with smokers,drug users,etc. so?

Forum List

Back