Why should government be kept smaller, and restricted to only certain tasks?

Depends on the community.

Which community in the US hasn't had infrastructure provided by the government?

Which community in the US hasn't had infrastructure provided by private companies?

Name an infrastructure built by a private company.
The overwhelming number of "Walmarts" will not only NOT build the infrastructure necessary to build their store, they make deals to avoid taxes for x number of years; THEN they teach their underpaid employees how to go on welfare and food stamps.

This is called CORPORATE welfare.

Built by, but paid for by the government. Even private streets.

Nope. The streets in the gated community where I lived were built and paid for by the developer. So was the community pool and the tennis courts.

A GATED community; are you for real?
How about a NON-Gated community?

What about it? Yes, gate communities are for real. The argument BottomOnePercenter is trying to make is that only government builds infrastructure. I just proved him wrong.

Nope. The streets in the gated community where I lived were built and paid for by the developer. So was the community pool and the tennis courts.

A GATED community; are you for real?
How about a NON-Gated community?

What about it? Yes, gate communities are for real. The argument BottomOnePercenter is trying to make is that only government builds infrastructure. I just proved him wrong.

Gated communities are PRIVATE; as in NOT used by the general public.
They are for profit and good for the developer.
And once again, are purely for profit and NOT for public access.
Next!

Government needs to do what needs doing. Some things government does more efficiently and effectively than individuals can. That is why we formed governments.

Why try to arbitrarily restrict the size of government?

Let the voters decide what size government they want

Government was the result of the need for people to organize in order to ensure the protection of themselves and their neighbors. Government isn't necessary for people to organize a community.

Who the hell do you think builds the infrastructure in a community?

Which community are you talking about?

Which community in the US hasn't had infrastructure provided by private companies?

Off the top of my head? Lake Buena Vista, Bay Lake, and the Reedy Creek Improvement District in Florida. If you want more examples of what is colloquially known as a company town, let me know.

Don't confuse him with facts.

Developers are required to build all the infrastructure when they build, out of their own pocket, but he wants to give the government all the credit.

Name an infrastructure built by a private company.
The overwhelming number of "Walmarts" will not only NOT build the infrastructure necessary to build their store, they make deals to avoid taxes for x number of years; THEN they teach their underpaid employees how to go on welfare and food stamps.

This is called CORPORATE welfare.

And, for those tax breaks, they pay for improvements to the surrounding roads, any upgrades that are required to control traffic, all the new sewer and other utilities they will need, and still have to throw in open green spaces.

Last edited:

Off the top of my head? Lake Buena Vista, Bay Lake, and the Reedy Creek Improvement District in Florida. If you want more examples of what is colloquially known as a company town, let me know.

Wealthy, exclusive communities or built up by a business entity for profit.

Developers are required to build all the infrastructure when they build, out of their own pocket, but he wants to give the government all the credit.

Then the cost is written-off which is unrealized revenue. Unrealized revenue has to be made up somewhere, namely taxpayers.

Little-Acorn said:
Government is necessary for some things, but should do as little as possible, and should confine itself to important functions that private persons or groups CANNOT DO AT ALL. Examples include National Defense, smoothing the course of interstate commerce with minimal interference in that commerce, conducting foreign relations, setting national standards for money, weights, and measures, dispassionately pursuing and prosecuting criminal behavior, etc.

Occasional events like wars might cause govt departments designed to deal with them, to grow to a size appropriate to do so. But afterward govt must reduce back to its smaller size.

If you feel that government can do something better than private people or groups can do it, that's insufficient reason to grant govt authority to do it. If private people can do it at all, it must be denied to govt unequivocally.

The reason for these restrictions, is that:
(a) Government cannot do anything well, due in part to the fact that no one can compete with it, and will always be rife with sloth and inefficiency;
(b) Government's only ability is to restrict and punish its citizens. This is activity extremely vulnerable to abuse, and capable of damaging and destroying lives by the millions if not carefully watched and restrained.
(c) History grimly shows that when government is allowed more authority than necessary, the imperfect humans it's made of begin to abuse that power, virtually every time. And with time, that abuse only increases, often rising to disastrous levels.

For these reasons, the powers given to government must be carefull spelled out and restricted, with those it restricts retaining full power to change or abolish it.
Government needs to do what needs doing.
No, the people need to do what needs doing.

See the difference?

Government's only ability, is to punish and restrict its people.

Some things government does more efficiently and effectively than individuals can.
Didn't even read the OP, did we?

That is why we formed governments.
Not even close.

"Men are endowed ... with certain unalienable rights... to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men"
-Declaration of Independence

Get it? The reason we formed governments, is to protect our basic rights. Not to "give" us health care to make sure our toilets are the right size.
Yep.

The challenge was to provide examples of communities where the infrastructure was not built by the government. I succeeded, and all the "Government is great" crowd can do is whinge about how I cheated.

Then the cost is written-off which is unrealized revenue. Unrealized revenue has to be made up somewhere, namely taxpayers.

Unrealized revenue?

When I took accounting a few decades ago I was told that accrued revenue was an asset. Did they change the rules at some point, or are you just full of shit?

The challenge was to provide examples of communities where the infrastructure was not built by the government. I succeeded, and all the "Government is great" crowd can do is whinge about how I cheated.

Anyone who even THINKS all government is great is lacking a great deal of information.
Anyone who thinks we need minimal government and yet supports a global military usually only cares about their stock portfolio.

Forum List

Back