Why the Roman Catholic Church is the Greatest Organization in the History of the World.

Why the Roman Catholic Church is the Greatest Organization in the History of the World.

There are a number of reasons, but they all stem from one main reason: The RCC was founded by Jesus who is perfect, and God’s rules are perfect and loving. And by perfect, that means following God’s rules leads to the best life you can possibly live which not only prepares you for Heaven, but also creates the greatest earthly happiness. This is the part atheists miss.

The Roman Catholic Church has been the single most powerful force for people accomplishing the most and greatest good in the history of the world. Think of the legions of selfless priests, sisters, nuns, missionaries, and consecrated individuals who have devoted their lives to the service of others for little or no financial compensation. They are motivated by something far more powerful than money to do superhuman things.

Take Mother Teresa’s order of nuns, the Missionaries of Charity in Calcutta India. These women work 14-18 hours day caring for the sick in the poorest most dangerous area of the city. They subsist on a nutritious stew for every meal; they have two sets of clothes, one to wash and one to wear; they have forsaken all possessions. Visitors marvel at how 80-year-old sisters can do backbreaking work all day long with a cheerful disposition, day in and day out. It’s because they are moved by God.

The irreligious do not have such a powerful source of motivation.

The canonized Roman Catholic saints are examples of the extreme motivation from God helping them to accomplish unbelievable good on earth. Take St. John Bosco. Turned thousands of delinquent young orphans into solid contributing citizens. His schools didn’t use punishment at all. He used the sacraments of the church plus kind encouraging words. John Bosco once had 800 young delinquents in a large hall, doing school work. It was so quiet, one could hear a pin could drop. Outsiders marveled at how this could be possible. It was God who showed St. John Bosco the way.

What other organization, religious or otherwise, has such a corresponding venerable group as the canonized saints of the Catholic Church; people who live and work among the people they serve and accomplish great things?

From my personal perspective, the RCC offers steady unwavering guidance on the best way to live. I’ve studied all the teachings, and they all make perfect sense to me, though that wasn’t always the case. The rules may sound demanding at first, but once you acclimate yourself they are easy to follow and make life go so much smoother. Compare it to an overweight person who wants to get fit. At first it’s very difficult to give up the the sugary snacks, the fast food, the fries, and the Pepsi. It’s very difficult to get up early, lift weights and do cardio and eat right. But once you do, it’s easy. And so much better.

The Catholic services are the same everywhere you go. Mass is the same. The teachings are the same. God’s laws were the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Maybe 0bama and Hillary, and Biden all changed their ‘core views’ on gay marriage in 2012, but God didn’t change His mind. When I go to Mass, it is the most diverse wonderful place. Many nationalities, every race, every age, rich or poor, most everybody is there because they want to get better in life. Other organizations would die for the diversity we have. Everyone is equal. Everyone is respected. You don’t have to donate to belong, although you should if you can. Nobody will ever ask anyone personally to give. No one will know if you don’t.

Are all Catholics perfect? Of course not. Even though church teaching is infallible, human beings are not. People sometimes disobey God’s perfect teachings, and do bad things. But the instances are relatively few compared to the legions of great people who do great things. There are also some, like pro-abortion politicians who claim to be Catholics, but openly disagree with major Catholic teachings. They intentionally mislead good people, but theirs and others' bad actions in no way diminish the validity of Jesus’ Church.

Jesus’ Church will be with us to the end of time. Again, very comforting. The RCC has a lineage of popes that goes directly back to St. Peter, the Apostle. All the turbulent events of the past 2000 years, the line of pope remains unbroken. That’s proof of Jesus’ promise.

I invite everyone to attend a mass at your local Catholic Church. They’re everywhere. Do it, and your life will be changed. You’ll see everything I listed above.

Now I understand why you post the way you do.

The Catholic church is corrupt and counterfeit, and it has been that way since the start. It's a mixture of Paganism and Christianity, and the bible is very clear that we can't mix religions or mix lies with truth. That is what the enemy of God does to deceive and mislead people...mix lies with truth.

The Catholic church has a horrible history. In the old days, the leaders didn't want regular people to read the bible themselves, and you know what? I believe that same sentiment exists today. I know that because I grew up going to Catholic church (before I became a believer and born again Christian) and I remember that in all the years I went to Catholic church, NO ONE ever encouraged me to read and study the bible on my own. Also, all that time no one told me my need for salvation or encouraged me to draw near to God. It was all about religion. Go to mass, stand up, sit down, recite prayers robotically, then go home and live just like everyone else does the rest of the week. That's what I saw anyway. There was nothing different about the Catholics in my life than other people in the world.

True Christianity involves radical transformation in one's life. When we come to Christ, we become a new creation, all things are new! It's not about religion, it's about a relationship with God, being adopted as a true son or daughter of the living God, through being born spiritually (read John 3!) It involves continuous growth and maturing spiritually, not remaining stagnant or living the same way the world lives... but being different, and allowing God to use our skills and gifts to serve and reach others.

Don't be deceived by religion. Instead get back to the basics...which you can learn from the word of God (not some corrupt priest or new world order pope) and let God teach and change you.

I could go on, but I see a lot of people already brought up a lot of stuff, so I'll leave it at that.

Now I understand why you post the way you do.

The Catholic church is corrupt and counterfeit, and it has been that way since the start. It's a mixture of Paganism and Christianity, and the bible is very clear that we can't mix religions or mix lies with truth. That is what the enemy of God does to deceive and mislead people...mix lies with truth.

The Catholic church has a horrible history. In the old days, the leaders didn't want regular people to read the bible themselves, and you know what? I believe that same sentiment exists today. I know that because I grew up going to Catholic church (before I became a believer and born again Christian) and I remember that in all the years I went to Catholic church, NO ONE ever encouraged me to read and study the bible on my own. Also, all that time no one told me my need for salvation or encouraged me to draw near to God. It was all about religion. Go to mass, stand up, sit down, recite prayers robotically, then go home and live just like everyone else does the rest of the week. That's what I saw anyway. There was nothing different about the Catholics in my life than other people in the world.

True Christianity involves radical transformation in one's life. When we come to Christ, we become a new creation, all things are new! It's not about religion, it's about a relationship with God, being adopted as a true son or daughter of the living God, through being born spiritually (read John 3!) It involves continuous growth and maturing spiritually, not remaining stagnant or living the same way the world lives... but being different, and allowing God to use our skills and gifts to serve and reach others.

Don't be deceived by religion. Instead get back to the basics...which you can learn from the word of God (not some corrupt priest or new world order pope) and let God teach and change you.

I could go on, but I see a lot of people already brought up a lot of stuff, so I'll leave it at that.
The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus. It's perfect and it's teachings are perfect. Anything that deviates from that teaching is manmade, and therefore imperfect. But the faith is what you make of it. YOU have to engage. If you go to Mass and go through the motions without changing your life, that is what YOU choose to do. You can't put it on anybody else. I know MANY Catholics who are strongly engaged great people. The Sacrament of Reconciliations energizes you like no others. All the Sacraments keep you focused on the prize.

Your excuses are silly since YOU claimed it was "GREATEST ORGANIZATION in history of the world"

I just posted hard evidence that it isn't so great, and you quickly post a deflection I will not follow since it doesn't address my link which you didn't read.

:laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301:
The teachings of the Catholic Church are perfect. Fallible humans aren't. Nothing complicated about that. But if you want to judge and compare belief systems by the actions of their practitioners, Let's go. Stalin, Mao, and Hitler. 100 million murdered in 30 years. Your turn.

The teachings of the Catholic Church are perfect. Fallible humans aren't. Nothing complicated about that. But if you want to judge and compare belief systems by the actions of their practitioners, Let's go. Stalin, Mao, and Hitler. 100 million murdered in 30 years. Your turn.

Now you contradict yourself since YOU made this statement:

Why the Roman Catholic Church is the Greatest Organization in the History of the World.​

Then you made this statement,

"The teachings of the Catholic Church are perfect. Fallible humans aren't."

No, the teachings NOT perfect since some of it doesn't come from the bible at all which means it makes some of it up by "Fallible humans" who wants to lie.

You are not fooling anyone with your pretzel replies.

Now you contradict yourself since YOU made this statement:

Why the Roman Catholic Church is the Greatest Organization in the History of the World.​

Then you made this statement,

"The teachings of the Catholic Church are perfect. Fallible humans aren't."

No, the teachings NOT perfect since some of it doesn't come from the bible at all which means it makes some of it up by "Fallible humans" who wants to lie.

You are not fooling anyone with your pretzel replies.
Jesus didn't stop teaching 2000 years ago, upon the completion of the Bible. There are new issues that come up that didn't exist then, that need addressed. As such the Magisterium is infallible, as well as the approved Marian apparitions. When you say the Bible is infallible, you are still dependent upon human beings for interpretation, so you are no different that I in that respect.

You ought to consider saving your fight for the atheists who are trying to undermine your ability to practice your Christian faith. As a Catholic, I am far more an ally than an adversary.

Jesus didn't stop teaching 2000 years ago, upon the completion of the Bible. There are new issues that come up that didn't exist then, that need addressed. As such the Magisterium is infallible, as well as the approved Marian apparitions. When you say the Bible is infallible, you are still dependent upon human beings for interpretation, so you are no different that I in that respect.

You ought to consider saving your fight for the atheists who are trying to undermine your ability to practice your Christian faith. As a Catholic, I am far more an ally than an adversary.

Wow you just don't get it your excuses alone destroys your argument.

The bible has a lot of errors in it which has been known for centuries too bad you are a committed apologist of the Catholic Church to see it.

The statement,

has never been supported by you thus false.

Wow you just don't get it your excuses alone destroys your argument.

The bible has a lot of errors in it which has been known for centuries too bad you are a committed apologist of the Catholic Church to see it.

The statement,

has never been supported by you thus false.
You call my explanation 'excuses' then claim they destroy my argument? How so? You're response makes no sense. It doesn't sound like you listen or care about someone else's responses.

I don't know what you've replaced Catholic teaching with, but it doesn't sound like love.

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we believe that the Church established by Jesus in his day fell into a state of total apostasy. We have a book that discusses the apostasy that occurred from the original church of Jesus Christ. We believe this is what the scripture in Revelation 12:6 speaks of:

Revelation 12:6
6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

We believe that the Prophet Amos spoke of the time the church would be taken from the earth in the following verses:

Amos 8:11-12
11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:
12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it.

In these verses we believe the woman to be the church and her going into the wilderness for a time is her being taken from the earth due to apostasy. Thus we believe that the church had to be restored to the earth. One of the Apostles in these latter days has written on it in a book entitled, "The Great Apostasy" by James E. Talmage. The link takes you to an online reading of the book for those who are interested. There is also a video that is a reading of the book:

Because of this great apostasy that occurred, a restitution of all things became necessary in these latter-days.

Acts 3:20-21
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

There are a number of reasons, but they all stem from one main reason: The RCC was founded by Jesus who is perfect, and God’s rules are perfect and loving. And by perfect, that means following God’s rules leads to the best life you can possibly live which not only prepares you for Heaven, but also creates the greatest earthly happiness. This is the part atheists miss.

The Roman Catholic Church has been the single most powerful force for people accomplishing the most and greatest good in the history of the world. Think of the legions of selfless priests, sisters, nuns, missionaries, and consecrated individuals who have devoted their lives to the service of others for little or no financial compensation. They are motivated by something far more powerful than money to do superhuman things.

Take Mother Teresa’s order of nuns, the Missionaries of Charity in Calcutta India. These women work 14-18 hours day caring for the sick in the poorest most dangerous area of the city. They subsist on a nutritious stew for every meal; they have two sets of clothes, one to wash and one to wear; they have forsaken all possessions. Visitors marvel at how 80-year-old sisters can do backbreaking work all day long with a cheerful disposition, day in and day out. It’s because they are moved by God.

The irreligious do not have such a powerful source of motivation.

The canonized Roman Catholic saints are examples of the extreme motivation from God helping them to accomplish unbelievable good on earth. Take St. John Bosco. Turned thousands of delinquent young orphans into solid contributing citizens. His schools didn’t use punishment at all. He used the sacraments of the church plus kind encouraging words. John Bosco once had 800 young delinquents in a large hall, doing school work. It was so quiet, one could hear a pin could drop. Outsiders marveled at how this could be possible. It was God who showed St. John Bosco the way.

What other organization, religious or otherwise, has such a corresponding venerable group as the canonized saints of the Catholic Church; people who live and work among the people they serve and accomplish great things?

From my personal perspective, the RCC offers steady unwavering guidance on the best way to live. I’ve studied all the teachings, and they all make perfect sense to me, though that wasn’t always the case. The rules may sound demanding at first, but once you acclimate yourself they are easy to follow and make life go so much smoother. Compare it to an overweight person who wants to get fit. At first it’s very difficult to give up the the sugary snacks, the fast food, the fries, and the Pepsi. It’s very difficult to get up early, lift weights and do cardio and eat right. But once you do, it’s easy. And so much better.

The Catholic services are the same everywhere you go. Mass is the same. The teachings are the same. God’s laws were the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Maybe 0bama and Hillary, and Biden all changed their ‘core views’ on gay marriage in 2012, but God didn’t change His mind. When I go to Mass, it is the most diverse wonderful place. Many nationalities, every race, every age, rich or poor, most everybody is there because they want to get better in life. Other organizations would die for the diversity we have. Everyone is equal. Everyone is respected. You don’t have to donate to belong, although you should if you can. Nobody will ever ask anyone personally to give. No one will know if you don’t.

Are all Catholics perfect? Of course not. Even though church teaching is infallible, human beings are not. People sometimes disobey God’s perfect teachings, and do bad things. But the instances are relatively few compared to the legions of great people who do great things. There are also some, like pro-abortion politicians who claim to be Catholics, but openly disagree with major Catholic teachings. They intentionally mislead good people, but theirs and others' bad actions in no way diminish the validity of Jesus’ Church.

Jesus’ Church will be with us to the end of time. Again, very comforting. The RCC has a lineage of popes that goes directly back to St. Peter, the Apostle. All the turbulent events of the past 2000 years, the line of pope remains unbroken. That’s proof of Jesus’ promise.

I invite everyone to attend a mass at your local Catholic Church. They’re everywhere. Do it, and your life will be changed. You’ll see everything I listed above.
The Catholic Church is great because they capitalized on human weaknesses and profited from the scheme. They got away with it for nearly 2,000 years now. That's incredible.

The Catholic Church is great because they capitalized on human weaknesses and profited from the scheme. They got away with it for nearly 2,000 years now. That's incredible.
The Catholic Church is great because within the Mass, it proclaims the Word of God--the greatest words ever spoken. We believe in the power of the Word.

The Catholic church is corrupt and counterfeit

Your hate is sad, and your ignorance is disturbing.

Among the Christian churches, only the Catholic Church has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant churches were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today’s Protestant churches are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth centuries. Some even began during your own lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.

The Catholic Church has existed for nearly 2,000 years, despite constant opposition from the world. This is testimony to the Church’s divine origin. It must be more than a merely human organization, especially considering that its human members— even some of its leaders—have been unwise, corrupt, or prone to heresy.

Any merely human organization with such members would have collapsed early on. The Catholic Church is today the most vigorous church in the world (and the largest, with a billion members: one sixth of the human race), and that is testimony not to the cleverness of the Church’s leaders, but to the protection of the Holy Spirit.

FOUR MARKS OF THE TRUE CHURCH

If we wish to locate the Church founded by Jesus, we need to locate the one that has the four chief marks or qualities of his Church. The Church we seek must be one, holy, catholic, and apostolic.

The Church Is One (Rom. 12:5, 1 Cor. 10:17, 12:13)
Jesus established only one Church, not a collection of differing churches. The Bible says the Church is the bride of Christ (Eph. 5:23–32). Jesus can have but one spouse, and his spouse is the Catholic Church. His Church also teaches just one set of doctrines, which must be the same as those taught by the apostles (Jude 3). This is the unity of belief to which Scripture calls us (Phil. 1:27, 2:2). Over the centuries, as doctrines are examined more fully, the Church comes to understand them more deeply (John 16:12–13), but it never understands them to mean the opposite of what they once meant.

The Church Is Holy (Eph. 5:25–27, Rev. 19:7–8)
By his grace Jesus makes the Church holy, just as he is holy. This doesn’t mean that each member is always holy. Jesus said there would be both good and bad members in the Church (John 6:70), and not all the members would go to heaven (Matt. 7:21–23). But the Church itself is holy because it is the source of holiness and is the guardian of the special means of grace Jesus established, the sacraments (cf. Eph. 5:26).

The Church Is Catholic (Matt. 28:19–20, Rev. 5:9–10)
Jesus’ Church is called catholic (“universal” in Greek) because it is his gift to all people. He told his apostles to go throughout the world and make disciples of “all nations” (Matt. 28:19–20). For 2,000 years the Catholic Church has carried out this mission, preaching the good news that Christ died for all men and that he wants all of us to be members of his universal family (Gal. 3:28). Nowadays the Catholic Church is found in every country of the world and is still sending out missionaries to “make disciples of all nations” (Matt. 28:19). The Church Jesus established was known by its most common title, “the Catholic Church,” at least as early as the year 107, when Ignatius of Antioch used that title to describe the one Church Jesus founded. The title apparently was old in Ignatius’s time, which means it probably went all the way back to the time of the apostles.

The Church Is Apostolic (Eph. 2:19–20)
The Church Jesus founded is apostolic because he appointed the apostles to be the first leaders of the Church, and their successors were to be its future leaders. The apostles were the first bishops, and, since the first century, there has been an unbroken line of Catholic bishops faithfully handing on what the apostles taught the first Christians in Scripture and oral Tradition (2 Tim. 2:2). These beliefs include the bodily Resurrection of Jesus, the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, the sacrificial nature of the Mass, the forgiveness of sins through a priest, baptismal regeneration, the existence of purgatory, Mary’s special role, and much more —even the doctrine of apostolic succession itself. Early Christian writings prove the first Christians were thoroughly Catholic in belief and practice and looked to the successors of the apostles as their leaders. What these first Christians believed is still believed by the Catholic Church. No other Church can make that claim.

Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth

Man’s ingenuity cannot account for this. The Church has remained one, holy, catholic, and apostolic—not through man’s effort, but because God preserves the Church he established (Matt. 16:18, 28:20). He guided the Israelites on their escape from Egypt by giving them a pillar of fire to light their way across the dark wilderness (Exod. 13:21). Today he guides us through his Catholic Church.

The Bible, sacred Tradition, and the writings of the earliest Christians testify that the Church teaches with Jesus’ authority. In this age of countless competing religions, each clamoring for attention, one voice rises above the din: the Catholic Church, which the Bible calls “the pillar and foundation of truth” (1 Tim. 3:15).

Jesus assured the apostles and their successors, the popes and the bishops, “He who listens to you listens to me, and he who rejects you rejects me” (Luke 10:16). Jesus promised to guide his Church into all truth (John 16:12–13). We can have confidence that his Church teaches only the truth.

END EXCERPT QUOTE

EXCERPT SOURCE: Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth

The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus. It's perfect and it's teachings are perfect. Anything that deviates from that teaching is manmade, and therefore imperfect. But the faith is what you make of it. YOU have to engage. If you go to Mass and go through the motions without changing your life, that is what YOU choose to do. You can't put it on anybody else. I know MANY Catholics who are strongly engaged great people. The Sacrament of Reconciliations energizes you like no others. All the Sacraments keep you focused on the prize.
Jesus was born, lived and died a Jew. He did not found a new religion. He wanted to make changes to Judaism. The church was not founded until Paul.

Jesus was born, lived and died a Jew

His death instituted a new covenant, that broadened the covenant from the Jews to all peoples of the earth.

He did not found a new religion

He founded a new covenant, which as I said, broadened the "people of God" from the Jews to all peoples of the earth.

The church was not founded until Paul.

That is a demonstrably false statement,

Your hate is sad, and your ignorance is disturbing.

That is dishonest. Stating that something is corrupt isn't hate - at least not for any people. My mom and most of my family on her side is Catholic, I have nothing against them, it is false doctrines, corruption, empty religiosity, and the CC misleading people overall that I have a problem with.

And no, I'm not the ignorant one here, I went to Catholic church for many years, I went through most of the sacraments, plus as I said, I've been around Catholics my whole life. After after becoming a Christian, I've studied the bible and continue to study the bible, and it is beyond clear that the Catholic church is unbiblical in many ways, and has been since the start.

Among the Christian churches, only the Catholic Church has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant churches were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today’s Protestant churches are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth centuries. Some even began during your own lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.

The Catholic Church has existed for nearly 2,000 years, despite constant opposition from the world. This is testimony to the Church’s divine origin. It must be more than a merely human organization, especially considering that its human members— even some of its leaders—have been unwise, corrupt, or prone to heresy.

Any merely human organization with such members would have collapsed early on. The Catholic Church is today the most vigorous church in the world (and the largest, with a billion members: one sixth of the human race), and that is testimony not to the cleverness of the Church’s leaders, but to the protection of the Holy Spirit.

FOUR MARKS OF THE TRUE CHURCH

If we wish to locate the Church founded by Jesus, we need to locate the one that has the four chief marks or qualities of his Church. The Church we seek must be one, holy, catholic, and apostolic.

The Church Is One (Rom. 12:5, 1 Cor. 10:17, 12:13)
Jesus established only one Church, not a collection of differing churches. The Bible says the Church is the bride of Christ (Eph. 5:23–32). Jesus can have but one spouse, and his spouse is the Catholic Church. His Church also teaches just one set of doctrines, which must be the same as those taught by the apostles (Jude 3). This is the unity of belief to which Scripture calls us (Phil. 1:27, 2:2). Over the centuries, as doctrines are examined more fully, the Church comes to understand them more deeply (John 16:12–13), but it never understands them to mean the opposite of what they once meant.

The Church Is Holy (Eph. 5:25–27, Rev. 19:7–8)
By his grace Jesus makes the Church holy, just as he is holy. This doesn’t mean that each member is always holy. Jesus said there would be both good and bad members in the Church (John 6:70), and not all the members would go to heaven (Matt. 7:21–23). But the Church itself is holy because it is the source of holiness and is the guardian of the special means of grace Jesus established, the sacraments (cf. Eph. 5:26).

The Church Is Catholic (Matt. 28:19–20, Rev. 5:9–10)
Jesus’ Church is called catholic (“universal” in Greek) because it is his gift to all people. He told his apostles to go throughout the world and make disciples of “all nations” (Matt. 28:19–20). For 2,000 years the Catholic Church has carried out this mission, preaching the good news that Christ died for all men and that he wants all of us to be members of his universal family (Gal. 3:28). Nowadays the Catholic Church is found in every country of the world and is still sending out missionaries to “make disciples of all nations” (Matt. 28:19). The Church Jesus established was known by its most common title, “the Catholic Church,” at least as early as the year 107, when Ignatius of Antioch used that title to describe the one Church Jesus founded. The title apparently was old in Ignatius’s time, which means it probably went all the way back to the time of the apostles.

The Church Is Apostolic (Eph. 2:19–20)
The Church Jesus founded is apostolic because he appointed the apostles to be the first leaders of the Church, and their successors were to be its future leaders. The apostles were the first bishops, and, since the first century, there has been an unbroken line of Catholic bishops faithfully handing on what the apostles taught the first Christians in Scripture and oral Tradition (2 Tim. 2:2). These beliefs include the bodily Resurrection of Jesus, the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, the sacrificial nature of the Mass, the forgiveness of sins through a priest, baptismal regeneration, the existence of purgatory, Mary’s special role, and much more —even the doctrine of apostolic succession itself. Early Christian writings prove the first Christians were thoroughly Catholic in belief and practice and looked to the successors of the apostles as their leaders. What these first Christians believed is still believed by the Catholic Church. No other Church can make that claim.

Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth

Man’s ingenuity cannot account for this. The Church has remained one, holy, catholic, and apostolic—not through man’s effort, but because God preserves the Church he established (Matt. 16:18, 28:20). He guided the Israelites on their escape from Egypt by giving them a pillar of fire to light their way across the dark wilderness (Exod. 13:21). Today he guides us through his Catholic Church.

The Bible, sacred Tradition, and the writings of the earliest Christians testify that the Church teaches with Jesus’ authority. In this age of countless competing religions, each clamoring for attention, one voice rises above the din: the Catholic Church, which the Bible calls “the pillar and foundation of truth” (1 Tim. 3:15).

Jesus assured the apostles and their successors, the popes and the bishops, “He who listens to you listens to me, and he who rejects you rejects me” (Luke 10:16). Jesus promised to guide his Church into all truth (John 16:12–13). We can have confidence that his Church teaches only the truth.

END EXCERPT QUOTE

EXCERPT SOURCE: Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth

You've posted that many times before. I don't want to offend you, but you are deeply deceived. I'll pray for you.

Last edited:
Jesus was born, lived and died a Jew. He did not found a new religion. He wanted to make changes to Judaism. The church was not founded until Paul.
Then who did John and Paul write their letters to? Was it the Catholic church?

The Catholic church did not exist then.

It is a mistake to venerate a group or person above God himself.

That is idolatry.

And like Peter, who denied Christ 3 times, they all have flaws.

If Peter became the head of the Church, we have no evidence of him acting as if he was the head. We do have evidence of him NOT believing this. We see the first counsel being called in the city of Jerusalem over 10 years after the church began, and Peter, who is the apostle to the Jews and is among them is not ruling this church. James was the head of this church. James took the initiative in the convening council.

Does Jesus say that his church is to be ruled by a single person and from Rome? The New Testament says nothing concerning a Pope, a person or office who has supreme power over the church on earth. Jesus is the only head of the visible and invisible Church throughout the world and throughout time, all Christians are equal members of his spiritual and visible body (Ephesians 1:22-23; Colossians 1:18-24).

Forum List

Back