Why the USSR won against Nazi Germany

The only thing that saved the USSR was the Winter of 1941.
And the many miles to cross in the former USSR.

Another clever Russian device was to assign the same guns to their artillery, tanks and AT guns and TD.

The SU-122 and SU-152 were very very very very nasty and effective tank destroyers mounting the same caliber gun as the Russian Arty.

Check a map, Dear. The Germans crossed all those miles and had the spires of the Kremlin in their field glasses
When the "spires" became visible, WINTER hit. I was taught Germany sustained heavy losses in Barbarossa.

Check a map, Dear. The Germans crossed all those miles and had the spires of the Kremlin in their field glasses
When the "spires" became visible, WINTER hit. I was taught Germany sustained heavy losses in Barbarossa.

They did sustain heavy losses, but considering the late start to Barbarossa, they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. Overrunning Moscow was definitely "do-able, until the weather turned against them like it hadn't in 100 years. Clearly, some higher power didn't want the USSR to fall to the Germans. Same way a fog let Washington evacuate NY when a clear day would have allowed the British to finish off the Continental Army

They did sustain heavy losses, but considering the late start to Barbarossa, they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. Overrunning Moscow was definitely "do-able, until the weather turned against them like it hadn't in 100 years. Clearly, some higher power didn't want the USSR to fall to the Germans. Same way a fog let Washington evacuate NY when a clear day would have allowed the British to finish off the Continental Army
They did sustain heavy losses, but considering the late start to Barbarossa, they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. Overrunning Moscow was definitely "do-able, until the weather turned against them like it hadn't in 100 years.
This is how I was taught; also, Napoleon made the same mistake as Hitler. The rains were heavier in the spring that year, which further slowed down the Axis.

Because it was a "just" war.

Germany attacked the Soviet Union.

Bad as the SU was - Nazi Germany was worse.

Most puntis predicted Russia would fall within months.

Germany violated theRippontrop-Molotov peace treaty -so there fore Rusia had the high moral ground.

It seems most don't agree that "just"=victory.........

Personally I am not sure just how far "just" goes in this case, @ least as to meeting some of the requirements.........

It seems a bit like two thieves, rather than a just & another unjust.......... :dunno:

One hell of a lot of material help from the rest of the world. Huge numbers of aircraft and tanks and food supplies left US Ports and airfields for Russia. And they don't believe in "thank you."

Not so fast...he did give one 'gift'...

Roosevelt flooded Stalin with Lend-Lease aid- food, planes, tools and supplies in large quantities. Stalin, in turn, planted spies in the United States who worked their way into key positions in the American government. They influenced U.S. policy to favor Russia; they sent copies of government documents to Russia; and they described U.S. plans in messages to Russia. Stalin knew about the development of the atomic bomb before President Truman did. Folsom and Folsom, "FDR Goes To War," p. 304.

FDR was too busy throwing American citizens into concentration camps to worry about Russian spies.

They did sustain heavy losses, but considering the late start to Barbarossa, they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. Overrunning Moscow was definitely "do-able, until the weather turned against them like it hadn't in 100 years.
This is how I was taught; also, Napoleon made the same mistake as Hitler. The rains were heavier in the spring that year, which further slowed down the Axis.

God saved the USSR in the form of the worst winter in 100 years

I hate to even suggest it, but I often wonder if that Germany army was not the best army the world has ever known? We'll never really know, however, still....

The current US army is the answer to that trivia question.

But....you have a great thread a-bornin' there, Reggie....

Once one specifies the time, strategy, national character, weapons....

sehr interessiert

Were I to pick the best US Army I would go with the Confederate army of the Civil War.

I hate to even suggest it, but I often wonder if that Germany army was not the best army the world has ever known? We'll never really know, however, still....

sehr interessiert

Were I to pick the best US Army I would go with the Confederate army of the Civil War.

If they were so great why did they lose to the Blue coats?

sehr interessiert

If they were so great why did they lose to the Blue coats?

Think about it. What part of the nation had the industry, plus the manpower. Grant's success was using that Northern manpower to win the war. Grant engaged the South in those killing-field battles with Grant earning the name Butcher Grant, and the presidency. The South had the better army but just not enough of it.

The Russian winter dealt the death blow to Hitler's already STALLED ARMY.

The Russians stopped the Germans before the winter came.

THEN the Rissian winter finished his army off.

Hitler screwed up, folks.

He didn't plan for the unexpected, he hadn't planned for a protracted invasion, but the Russian PEOPLE stood their ground, died by the hundreds of thousands and they stopped the NAZI war machine dead in its tracks.

Last edited:

sehr interessiert

How can you call the current US Army -which is bogged down in Afg after a decade - and will soon be cutting-and-running - the best ever?

sehr interessiert

How can you call the current US Army -which is bogged down in Afg after a decade - and will soon be cutting-and-running - the best ever?

The politicians have the US Militaries hands tied behind their backs, they don't have the free hand to get the job like done like back in WW2.

Because it was a "just" war.

Germany attacked the Soviet Union.

Bad as the SU was - Nazi Germany was worse.

Most puntis predicted Russia would fall within months.

Germany violated theRippontrop-Molotov peace treaty -so there fore Rusia had the high moral ground.

Um no that wasn't the reason! If that was the reason then anytime a country invaded anothter country the victory would be the invaded. Tell that to Georgia! Tell that to all the countries the Arab Caliphates invaded, the Middle East used to be a collection of different peoples, Egypt and North Africa used to be made of Black skinned Africans. The Arab Caliphates of the 7th-10th centuries unjustly invaded the entire Middle East and North Africa displacing all the inhabitants and transposing them with Arabs. Almost happened to Europe, if the Franks didn't kick their Arab behinds in. The Arab Egyptian is different than the Egyptian of King Tuts time.

The USSR won because Germany had to take on Britian, US and USSR on a 2-3 front war. Not to mention the USSR had a nice military infrastructure, many factories to produce weapons of war, a vast countryside, large population and ruthless commanders.

The USSR didn't defeat Nazi Germany on their own. No even close. If it was Nazi Germany vs the USSR in a one on one match, the USSR would have been defeated. The only country at the time that could have defeated Nazi Germany one on one was America!

The Soviets had already turned the tide on the Nazis by the time we entered the war. They killed 20 times the number of Germans that we did.

The Soviets could have beaten the Germans without us, we could not have defeated the Germans without the Soviets tying up Germanies best troops and equipment. We never would have tolerated the casualties necessary to defeat the Germans by ourselves

Other way around.

USA could have defeated both Germany and Japan without ANYBODYS help.

May havetaken longer.....................................

Both Britain and USSR wouldhave been TOAST without US aid.

Other way around.

USA could have defeated both Germany and Japan without ANYBODYS help.

May havetaken longer.....................................

Both Britain and USSR wouldhave been TOAST without US aid.

We beat Japan mostly on our own anyway
With Germany, On our own turf we could have. Fighting in Europe, we would have suffered casualties the American public never would have tolerated

If Germany had kept it's alliance with the Soviet Union we never would have dislodged them from Europe. We would have negotiated to save England and that's it

Forum List

Back