Why Was No One Armed & Shooting Back In El Paso WalMart ?

It takes quite some time to fire that many shots individually, as this guy did, walking aisle to aisle, through the store. If there had been an armed security guard, or any armed citizen with a CCW license, this guy could have (and should have) been stopped cold after the first 2 or 3 shots.
It's Texas, so of course there were plenty of "good guys with a gun" they just didn't want to go up against an assault weapon with a little pistol. So much for the NRA's good guy with a gum BULLSHIT.
The guy in Ohio had body armor

Not many Walmart shoppers do
I read that the shooter had tried to get into the "club" and was denied entry. Have you heard anything to this effect because I imagine that he wasn't wearing kevlar when he originally tried to enter cause of the "dress code" <sort of>

The El Paso Walmart shooter killed 20 people (so far) and wounded 26 more. He may well have fired some shots missing people also. It's pretty fair to say this nut fired at least 50 shots, and very possibly well more than that.

It takes quite some time to fire that many shots individually, as this guy did, walking aisle to aisle, through the store. If there had been an armed security guard, or any armed citizen with a CCW license, this guy could have (and should have) been stopped cold after the first 2 or 3 shots.

As someone who has a CCW license, and is armed 99% of the time, when I'm walking around outside, it is amazing to me that there could have been that many people walking around unarmed and defenseless. Why? Don't they know something like this could happen at any time ?

In contrast, in 2002, a Muslim terrorist (Hesham Mohamed Hadayet) walked into Los Angeles Airport (LAX) armed with 2 handguns, plus magazines loaded with dozens of bullets. He shot and killed 2 people, and wounded 4. The airport was filled with people. The terrorist was shot dead right on the spot, by a security guard who was armed and ready to deal. Without that good guy with a gun, the airport would have been a bloodbath, just like this WalMart, and probably even worse.

This ARMED DEFENSE is what should have been the case in El Paso. How this guy could pull off what he did without getting shot, by a ard or CCW carrying citizen is mind boggling.

2002 Los Angeles International Airport shooting - Wikipedia
if there are many CCW around, then they won't know who the real shooter is, probably
the real shooter can say he's the good guy--like the Norwegian mass murderer
if you come up on the real shooter OR a real good guy, --you have to to kill them
Norway killings: The laughing gunman who shot 85 young victims, one by one

This ‘wild west/shoot-out’ fantasy common to most on the right illustrates just how ridiculous and wrong conservatives are concerning the issue of gun crime and violence.
Referring to simple self-defense as "wild west/shoot-out’ fantasy" illustrates just how ridiculous and wrong liberals are concerning the issue of gun crime and violence.

PS - it is their cluelessness on this subject combined with their dominance over US education, that causes many people to be just as clueless as they are.

The El Paso Walmart shooter killed 20 people (so far) and wounded 26 more. He may well have fired some shots missing people also. It's pretty fair to say this nut fired at least 50 shots, and very possibly well more than that.

As someone who has a CCW license, and is armed 99% of the time, when I'm walking around outside, it is amazing to me that there could have been that many people walking around unarmed and defenseless. Why? Don't they know something like this could happen at any time ?

In contrast, in 2002, a Muslim terrorist (Hesham Mohamed Hadayet) walked into Los Angeles Airport (LAX) armed with 2 handguns, plus magazines loaded with dozens of bullets. He shot and killed 2 people, and wounded 4. The airport was filled with people. The terrorist was shot dead right on the spot, by a security guard who was armed and ready to deal. Without that good guy with a gun, the airport would have been a bloodbath, just like this WalMart, and probably even worse.

This ARMED DEFENSE is what should have been the case in El Paso. How this guy could pull off what he did without getting shot, by a guard or CCW carrying citizen is mind boggling.

This is only an opinion, but I believe you are naive. For an ordinary civilian shopper, even if armed, it takes a while to figure out what is happening and where it is coming from. Texas is a open carry State and I doubt there were no armed shoppers. However they were mentally geared for WalMart, not Fallujah. I think we're lucky no innocent shopper was killed by a 'good guy with a gun'.
I agree
these are DYNAMIC situations--NOT TV land/movie land

In a situation like in El Paso, that is probably a smart thing to do.
As I mentioned earlier, it's a good thing that stupid idea didn't prevail in the LAX shooting incident, or hundreds of people now alive would be dead.

Same thing in many other CCW happenings.

Should I engage in a shoot out with that guy with an AK-47 or should I exit that door?
First you secure yourself in COVER. Then you start peppering the assailant with shots at a distance of less than 20 feet. When he's lying on the floor dead, you'll need not worry about exiting. (or thinking about being a coward)

Should I engage in a shoot out with that guy with an AK-47 or should I exit that door?
First you secure yourself in COVER. Then you start peppering the assailant with shots at a distance of less than 20 feet. When he's lying on the floor dead, you'll need not worry about exiting. (or thinking about being a coward)
but he has you outgunned...
.....what if there is another CCW with a gun--but you don't know he is a good guy--if you don't shoot him, he will kill you if he's the bad guy

It's Texas, so of course there were plenty of "good guys with a gun" they just didn't want to go up against an assault weapon with a little pistol. So much for the NRA's good guy with a gum BULLSHIT.
HA HA. The posts are getting dumber and dumber. The rifle the shooter had was a semi-automatic single shot weapon, same as any semiautomatic pistol. At a close range, it has no advantage over a pistol, which will get you just as dead as the rifle will. No charge for the tutoring.

It certain situations it is fine.

But if you take any serious firearms course and the topic comes up, they will tell you NOT to draw a weapon and try to confront the shooter until you are sure what is going on, who is doing the shooting, and how many people are doing it.
Was there ever any question about that ?

I call BULLSHIT. You just made that shit up out of thin air, as usual.
The gunman is seen entering with his rifle in plain sight and nobody told him it was banned.
You wanna (unarmed) walk up to him and tell him that ?

The armed man also focused on helping get children out of harms way.
With one well-place shot at close round (from a protected position) ALL could have been out of harm's way. Perhaps the biggest question this thread needs to have answered is does this mall and WalMart have a gun-free zone policy, and is it government law ?

It doesn't matter, the claim was that El Paso was Liberal and banned guns at that mall.
The Right always has to find a way to blame Libs for everything.
So you conclude there is no gun-free zone policy there ? if so upon what basis ?

This ARMED DEFENSE is what should have been the case in El Paso. How this guy could pull off what he did without getting shot, by a guard or CCW carrying citizen is mind boggling.

This is only an opinion, but I believe you are naive. For an ordinary civilian shopper, even if armed, it takes a while to figure out what is happening and where it is coming from. Texas is a open carry State and I doubt there were no armed shoppers. However they were mentally geared for WalMart, not Fallujah. I think we're lucky no innocent shopper was killed by a 'good guy with a gun'.
I agree
these are DYNAMIC situations--NOT TV land/movie land
In Dayton the Police took out the killer within one minute. That's how long it took him to kill 8 and wound 26. There's a video of the shots. Unbelievable!

YOU are the ignorant one here, and this post is a prime example of it. You don't even know the legal definition of self-defense. Contrary to your distorted notion, self-defense is not just self defense of oneself, it also includes the defense of others nearby.
Even though the terms are used interchangeably they are not the same thing.

Self defense means just that - defense of one's "self". If you're referring to the lawful use of deadly force in defense of someone other than one's self then that's called something different

The right of self-defense (also called, when it applies to the defense of another, alter ego defense, defense of others, defense of a third person) is the right for people to use reasonable force or defensive force, for the purpose of defending one's own life (self-defense) or the lives of others, including –in certain circumstances– the use of deadly force.[1]
Right of self-defense - Wikipedia

It's Texas. Everyone knows Texas has insane gun laws that make it impossible for anyone to exercise their 2nd amendment rights.

Yet another shooting at a gun-free zone: El Paso shooting at Cielo Vista Mall...
Just more lies from the Right.
FOX, no less, interviewed a "good guy with a gun" who was armed and there at the shooting, so it clearly was NOT a gun free zone! Your source is lying, but you don't care because it gives you a way to blame Liberals for what a Trump Nationalist did.

Because there’s no evidence that the carrying of concealed firearms acts as a ‘deterrent’ to crime:
If it's concealed why would it be?

Now open carry, that's a bit different
Yes open carry would insure you are the first one shot.
Yeah that's what everyone keeps saying. The police are openly armed yet I don't see a bunch of criminals calling open season on law enforcement officers.

There WAS a guy carrying, a legal concealed carrier, who is active military, and he did what any sensible person would do--he ran the other way, scooping up kids who'd been separated from their parents on his way. What happened is what is supposed to happen--the police, who are trained and authorized to take down a lunatic like him, stopped him without harming any additional civilians.

Here's the interview with the dude who chose to save himself and the kids around him.
blob:https://www.nbcnews.com/a0818a1a-bacc-4888-ac35-1a27b2b7d95b
Another dumb post. If the good guy with a gun had shot the killer, many lives would have been saved. How ludicrous to suggest he not do that, and instead, run away from the problem.

Imagine if the security guard at LAX in 2000, had went by this idea. Hundreds of people could/would have been killed by Mohammed Hadayet. Instead, hundreds of lives were SAVED.

And if everyone in Walmart was wearing body armor, nobody would be hurt

With 330 million guns out there, we should issue 330 million sets of body armor

Forum List

Back