Why We Will Always Have the Poor

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Jesus said we would always have the poor. I’m not talking about the American version of poor which is your cell phone is an iPhone 4 and your dvd doesn’t play blu-ray. I’m talking about sleeping outside starving to death poor. Selling your kids to put food on the table poor.

First, you are a small majority for even wanting to read a thread about the poor. But thanks to the efforts of millions of individuals global poverty is getting better:
BBB5EC22-AE7F-46D1-9DF2-E9AC885AAF88.jpeg

But that line will soon flatten out for one reason - apathy. Too many will look at that graph and say their job is done. Many will look at that graph and say I don’t care and I never cared.

And while apathy is generally a leftist trait, it is not exclusive. While talking about real poverty in third world countries in a Christian bookstore I had this guy say we need to take care of our own here. I said here is information on a ministry helping kids in Detroit. He turned and walked away. Closest I ever came to assaulting a man who posed no physical threat to me.

While at an orphanage in Cambodia last December we got a call from the government that a woman’s husband had been murdered a few weeks ago and she had no way of supporting her 4 kids, we were to pick them up tomorrow.

Went to her corrugated metal shack out in the middle of nowhere by the Vietnam border. Miles of just rice paddies and jungle. There we met 2 government officials and the village chief.

After some Q&A we determined that she had only a 4th grade education but she was pretty smart. And she lived on a well traveled road because not many existed out there. To make a long story short we spent $500 to turn her place into a mini market. $500 to her is like asking you for $5M. But we jump started her business. Within a month her income was twice the average of the region. And she gets to keep her kids.

But very few are willing to spend $500 or even $40 even if they know the money is being spent as intended.

Apathy. Jesus knew what we are like.

Poverty is relative. A person is only as poor as someone else is rich.

I help no one. In memory of all the people that "helped " my family when we were hungry and homeless, they can rot in the gutter.

Poverty is relative. A person is only as poor as someone else is rich.

I help no one. In memory of all the people that "helped " my family when we were hungry and homeless, they can rot in the gutter.
I grew up in poverty. The American version fortunately. I find it entertaining watching kids get pulled out of that situation so they don’t have to live it.

Jesus said we would always have the poor. I’m not talking about the American version of poor which is your cell phone is an iPhone 4 and your dvd doesn’t play blu-ray. I’m talking about sleeping outside starving to death poor. Selling your kids to put food on the table poor.

First, you are a small majority for even wanting to read a thread about the poor. But thanks to the efforts of millions of individuals global poverty is getting better:
View attachment 152853
But that line will soon flatten out for one reason - apathy. Too many will look at that graph and say their job is done. Many will look at that graph and say I don’t care and I never cared.

And while apathy is generally a leftist trait, it is not exclusive. While talking about real poverty in third world countries in a Christian bookstore I had this guy say we need to take care of our own here. I said here is information on a ministry helping kids in Detroit. He turned and walked away. Closest I ever came to assaulting a man who posed no physical threat to me.

While at an orphanage in Cambodia last December we got a call from the government that a woman’s husband had been murdered a few weeks ago and she had no way of supporting her 4 kids, we were to pick them up tomorrow.

Went to her corrugated metal shack out in the middle of nowhere by the Vietnam border. Miles of just rice paddies and jungle. There we met 2 government officials and the village chief.

After some Q&A we determined that she had only a 4th grade education but she was pretty smart. And she lived on a well traveled road because not many existed out there. To make a long story short we spent $500 to turn her place into a mini market. $500 to her is like asking you for $5M. But we jump started her business. Within a month her income was twice the average of the region. And she gets to keep her kids.

But very few are willing to spend $500 or even $40 even if they know the money is being spent as intended.

Well first of all- congratulations on helping that woman and her kids. Good for you.

Sounds like you gifted her the money- and money going to mom's starting business's in third world countries usually is a good investment- women are less likely to blow the money than the men.

If you would like to encourage others to help others like her- I would recommend you provide some methods you have explored and support.

View attachment 152853

Well first of all- congratulations on helping that woman and her kids. Good for you.

Sounds like you gifted her the money- and money going to mom's starting business's in third world countries usually is a good investment- women are less likely to blow the money than the men.

If you would like to encourage others to help others like her- I would recommend you provide some methods you have explored and support.
Charity Watchdog group: charitynavigator.com.
Look up a category that interests you, children, adults, substance abuse or whatever.

View attachment 152853

Look up a category that interests you, children, adults, substance abuse or whatever.

I like Heifer International myself.

View attachment 152853

I like Heifer International myself.
Everyone has their thing.
It’s why we will always have the poor.

Democratic states will always have to support the poor Republican states. Republican states need to start pulling their own weight and stop blaming their problems on "the libs".

Forum List

Back