Wilson County schools agree to stop passing out Bibles to students

yep .... i think children should be taught about all religions as well as aethisim ....

that way when we explain why our constitution has church and state issues in it as well as why our found documents mention god....

seems odd we only teach our kids part of the stoey and never explain the whys....
It doesn't sound like any of this is part of a legitimate educational program. I think they should be taught about religions too, not pressured to join them.

Or what about this book:

the-anatchist-cookbook.jpg

You know, as long as there's no repercussion for refusal.

Personally I don't believe in banning any books

That being said, there certainly is a valid argument for allowing parents to refuse to let their children read whatever books they deem inappropriate. If those books are handed out by the school as part of some social curriculum then there should be no repercussions for that either

Last edited:
couldn't the kids have said "No thanks" to the offer of a Bible?

Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion. These kids are going to be exposed to religion all their lives so what's the big deal?
Would you be okay with them being given Korans?

as long as there were no repercussions for refusing, I have no problem with it

I don't understand why you are all so afraid of religion.

I'm an atheist and I am not offended by another's religious beliefs and I am not offended if someone wants to give me a bible, koran, or anything else. I just say no thank you and go on my way.

Isn't hat what "tolerance" is all about?
What makes you think I'm afraid of it?

There is a pesky little blurb in the constitution that disallows teachers from pushing a religious agenda...no matter what religion.

Tolerance is a red herring. With that logic you'd be okay with adults offering blow jobs to school kids because the kids could just politely say no.

:cuckoo:

I don't understand why you are all so afraid of religion.

I'm an atheist and I am not offended by another's religious beliefs and I am not offended if someone wants to give me a bible, koran, or anything else. I just say no thank you and go on my way.

Isn't hat what "tolerance" is all about?
What makes you think I'm afraid of it?

There is a pesky little blurb in the constitution that disallows teachers from pushing a religious agenda...no matter what religion.

Tolerance is a red herring. With that logic you'd be okay with adults offering blow jobs to school kids because the kids could just politely say no.

:cuckoo:

So giving a kid a book is the same as giving a kid a blow job?

You're twisted

Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion. These kids are going to be exposed to religion all their lives so what's the big deal?

Ahh you forget the peer pressure.
And when an adult is handing out the bibles in an official setting such as school.

Or were you more on the generating peer pressure end than the receiving end?

How about giving out this book?

daddys_rommate_cover.JPG

As long as there were no repercussions for refusing....

I am not afraid of gay men are you?

Gay men??? What are you talking about?

I'm just wondering if you are in favor of books condoning drinking while boating, feeding wildlife, and being exposed to the harmful rays of the sun without wearing a wide-brimmed hat.

With that logic you'd be okay with adults offering blow jobs to school kids because the kids could just politely say no.

I think that would be a violation of Title IX, since not all students are able to receive blow jobs

Actually, freedom of religion DOES mean freedom FROM religion.

The big deal is that the STATE can't distrubute religious materials.

I'm kind of thinking that if it were the Koran or the Old Testament they were giving out, you'd sing a different song.

hence protection for everyone else FROM the zealots.

Since the Wilson County schools have agreed to stop passing out Bibles to students it looks like they agree that what they were doing was unconstitutional.

Yeah but government can't and shouldn't sponsor a religion.

Ahh you forget the peer pressure.
And when an adult is handing out the bibles in an official setting such as school.

Or were you more on the generating peer pressure end than the receiving end?

I was taught to think for myself. Peer pressure was irrelevant for me personally.

If I was influenced by peer pressure, I wouldn't have been a straight A student, I wouldn't have worked 35 hours a week while in high school, I wouldn't have gotten my pilot's license at 18 in fact I wouldn't have done much of anything if I let those around me dictate my actions.

And let me ask you this? Were the bibles just given out or were the teachers actually forcing kids to read them during class?

Handing out a book is not sponsoring anything.

The bible is just another book.

Handing out a book is not sponsoring anything.

The bible is just another book.

"allowed teachers to lead Christian-based prayers and school-sponsored prayers at official school events."

You're right but in this case it's quite clear they are preaching to them.

Why give the kids any books whatsoever? They dont need to read anything.

Spoken like a true idiot and one that didn't go to school!!

So your saying that if they can't read the bible, they shouldn't read a math book or a science book??

Ok?? Add christians to the list of those that are propegating ignorance.. :cuckoo:

No. Im simply saying that only a complete moron would be happy about people not reading books.

Yeah. Knowledge is good. I know this is a foreign concept for you guys but it's really not that difficult to understand.

Forum List

Back