🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Woman suing Obamacare exchange-dies

Hummmmmmm....... ".... no one competes with the government because the government doesn't allow it." Is that so? Ever hear of FedEx or UPS (United Parcel Service)? If I am not mistaken they are in direct competition with the post office. Further, can you cite any law that says that private companies ARE NOT allowed to develop a private or public postal service?

Let's take these as a good example. Strictly speaking, people that FedEx is in the business of delivering packages (or mail in one of their envelopes). But the truth is this: they're in the business of making a profit. Of course, that's true of every business.

Now, all things being equal, FedEx (and the other delivery services) are not cheap. They certainly don't deliver the equivalent of first class letters for less than 50 cents per letter. It's even lower for other forms of mail which businesses take full advantage of in order to keep their costs low. Below are the rates.

Bulk Mail Rates – Standard Mail Postage

Class of Mail
Size
2013 Cost

1st Class
Letter
$0.450

1st Class Presort
Postcard
$0.229

1st Class Presort
Letter
$0.350

1st Class Presort
Flat
$0.400

Standard Rate
Letter
$0.242

Standard Rate
Flat
$0.353

Non Profit Rate
Letter
$0.130

Non Profit Rate
Flat
$0.214

Some people would have everyone believe that the USPS is full of inefficiencies. I'm sure that there are some inefficiencies. But does anyone really think that private companies could deliver the massive quantities of mail that the USPS does on a nationwide basis for the amount of money that they USPS charges? Keep in mind that any business would have to set up a network of post offices and sorting centers all across the country. The start up cost alone would be tens of billion of dollars for buildings, equipment, vehicles, airplanes, employees, etc.

Could a private business do this? Sure. But not at those rates. Forget about 1st class mail for a minute. Anyway, with email these days, the chances are that most personal 1st class mail is in the form of birthday cards, wedding invitations, and the kind of personal correspondence that doesn't translate well to email.

The BIG impact would be on business. American companies spend a small fortune on mail. It's everything from confirmation letters to solicitation mail where they target large numbers of people in the hope that they can actually generate customers. Imagine what would happen to American business if overnight they found their cost tripling or quadrupling to send out mail related to their business operations. What would happen to a business if it found it's mail costs jump from say $10,000 per month to about $50,000 per month?Think about what would mean to how they would have to price their products and services to the general public?

USPS rates are an example of a gov't giveaway that promotes business in this country in much the same way that farm subsidies promote inexpensive food costs to the general public.

We will never know, because it is illegal for them to compete with the post office. That makes everything you posted a waste of time and totally irrelevant to the discussion.

By the way, if the Post Office is so cost efficient why does UPS, FedEx, DHL, and every other package delivery service manage to survive against the efficiency of the Post Office? One would think that "If it fits, it ships" would put them all out of business overnight.

You could certainly push the issue with the GOP if you really wanted to since conservatives are always claiming that privatization is preferable and that 'the market' should decide.

As for me, I understand that there are plenty of things where privatization is a bad idea because the corporate interest of profit is often in conflict with a societal goal which gov't is better at addressing. A good example is prisons since a corporation/business has more interest in profiting from the continued incarceration of prisoners than it has in shorter sentences or helping prisoners re-assimilate into society. In other words, for the gov't, recidivism would be considered a failure. For a corporation, it's the renewal of a revenue stream.

Hummmmmmm....... ".... no one competes with the government because the government doesn't allow it." Is that so? Ever hear of FedEx or UPS (United Parcel Service)? If I am not mistaken they are in direct competition with the post office. Further, can you cite any law that says that private companies ARE NOT allowed to develop a private or public postal service?

Let's take these as a good example. Strictly speaking, people that FedEx is in the business of delivering packages (or mail in one of their envelopes). But the truth is this: they're in the business of making a profit. Of course, that's true of every business.

Now, all things being equal, FedEx (and the other delivery services) are not cheap. They certainly don't deliver the equivalent of first class letters for less than 50 cents per letter. It's even lower for other forms of mail which businesses take full advantage of in order to keep their costs low. Below are the rates.

Class of Mail
Size
2013 Cost

1st Class
Letter
$0.450

1st Class Presort
Postcard
$0.229

1st Class Presort
Letter
$0.350

1st Class Presort
Flat
$0.400

Standard Rate
Letter
$0.242

Standard Rate
Flat
$0.353

Non Profit Rate
Letter
$0.130

Non Profit Rate
Flat
$0.214

Some people would have everyone believe that the USPS is full of inefficiencies. I'm sure that there are some inefficiencies. But does anyone really think that private companies could deliver the massive quantities of mail that the USPS does on a nationwide basis for the amount of money that they USPS charges? Keep in mind that any business would have to set up a network of post offices and sorting centers all across the country. The start up cost alone would be tens of billion of dollars for buildings, equipment, vehicles, airplanes, employees, etc.

Could a private business do this? Sure. But not at those rates. Forget about 1st class mail for a minute. Anyway, with email these days, the chances are that most personal 1st class mail is in the form of birthday cards, wedding invitations, and the kind of personal correspondence that doesn't translate well to email.

The BIG impact would be on business. American companies spend a small fortune on mail. It's everything from confirmation letters to solicitation mail where they target large numbers of people in the hope that they can actually generate customers. Imagine what would happen to American business if overnight they found their cost tripling or quadrupling to send out mail related to their business operations. What would happen to a business if it found it's mail costs jump from say $10,000 per month to about $50,000 per month?Think about what would mean to how they would have to price their products and services to the general public?

USPS rates are an example of a gov't giveaway that promotes business in this country in much the same way that farm subsidies promote inexpensive food costs to the general public.

We will never know, because it is illegal for them to compete with the post office. That makes everything you posted a waste of time and totally irrelevant to the discussion.

By the way, if the Post Office is so cost efficient why does UPS, FedEx, DHL, and every other package delivery service manage to survive against the efficiency of the Post Office? One would think that "If it fits, it ships" would put them all out of business overnight.

If UPS is so cost efficient why do Fed Ex and DHL survive?

If there were competitive bidding with the government they wouldn't be required, by law, to take the lowest bidder, and the entire process would work the same way bidding for a corporate contract works. Everyone would present to proposal that meets the specific guidelines in the bid, and the board would select the one that best meets the needs and the price. I have actually recommended that a company not take a bid because it was significantly lower than every other bid submitted, and they asked that company to reexamine their math and resubmit a bid.

Whatever...

btw, most businesses, companies, corporations are themselves governments.

Really? Do they collect taxes? Arrest people? Pass laws? Go to war?

Should I go on, or will you admit you said something stupid because you can't refute my argument?

By the way, if Xerox is a government in and of itself, doesn't that prove my point that this was a government fuckup?

It's a false premise to claim that in order to be defined as a government you have to go to war.

I recommend you look up the term 'corporate governance'.

Wanna bet on that?

That said, I did not say they can't coexist, I just said that anything the government is involved in is not capitalism. In order to have capitalism, there has to be competition, and no one competes with the government because the government doesn't allow it. If it did the Post office would be dead.

So there's no such thing as competitive bidding for government contracts?

LOLOL, you're in deep enough now. You can stop digging.

If there were competitive bidding with the government they wouldn't be required, by law, to take the lowest bidder, and the entire process would work the same way bidding for a corporate contract works. Everyone would present to proposal that meets the specific guidelines in the bid, and the board would select the one that best meets the needs and the price. I have actually recommended that a company not take a bid because it was significantly lower than every other bid submitted, and they asked that company to reexamine their math and resubmit a bid.

New York State isn't held to any such narrow requirement:

Beginning with the apparent low bid, the agency must verify that: 1) the winning bid is responsive by meeting all mandatory requirements and specifications of the IFB; and 2) the winning bidder is responsible. If the apparent low bidder is not found to be responsive or responsible, the bid must be rejected and the next lowest price bid must be reviewed. In addition, notice should be provided to an apparent low bidder who is being rejected as non-responsive or non-responsible.

http://www.ogs.ny.gov/bu/pc/Docs/Guidelines.pdf

Class of Mail
Size
2013 Cost

1st Class
Letter
$0.450

1st Class Presort
Postcard
$0.229

1st Class Presort
Letter
$0.350

1st Class Presort
Flat
$0.400

Standard Rate
Letter
$0.242

Standard Rate
Flat
$0.353

Non Profit Rate
Letter
$0.130

Non Profit Rate
Flat
$0.214

You could certainly push the issue with the GOP if you really wanted to since conservatives are always claiming that privatization is preferable and that 'the market' should decide.

As for me, I understand that there are plenty of things where privatization is a bad idea because the corporate interest of profit is often in conflict with a societal goal which gov't is better at addressing. A good example is prisons since a corporation/business has more interest in profiting from the continued incarceration of prisoners than it has in shorter sentences or helping prisoners re-assimilate into society. In other words, for the gov't, recidivism would be considered a failure. For a corporation, it's the renewal of a revenue stream.

Why the fuck wold I expect the GOP to fix the government when they depend on it to keep them in power?

Class of Mail
Size
2013 Cost

1st Class
Letter
$0.450

1st Class Presort
Postcard
$0.229

1st Class Presort
Letter
$0.350

1st Class Presort
Flat
$0.400

Standard Rate
Letter
$0.242

Standard Rate
Flat
$0.353

Non Profit Rate
Letter
$0.130

Non Profit Rate
Flat
$0.214

If UPS is so cost efficient why do Fed Ex and DHL survive?

Because the invisible hand actually prevents the formation of monopolies unless the government steps in to enable them. Any other stupid questions?

Whatever...

btw, most businesses, companies, corporations are themselves governments.

Really? Do they collect taxes? Arrest people? Pass laws? Go to war?

Should I go on, or will you admit you said something stupid because you can't refute my argument?

By the way, if Xerox is a government in and of itself, doesn't that prove my point that this was a government fuckup?

It's a false premise to claim that in order to be defined as a government you have to go to war.

I recommend you look up the term 'corporate governance'.

I recommend you learn to think.

So there's no such thing as competitive bidding for government contracts?

LOLOL, you're in deep enough now. You can stop digging.

New York State isn't held to any such narrow requirement:

Beginning with the apparent low bid, the agency must verify that: 1) the winning bid is responsive by meeting all mandatory requirements and specifications of the IFB; and 2) the winning bidder is responsible. If the apparent low bidder is not found to be responsive or responsible, the bid must be rejected and the next lowest price bid must be reviewed. In addition, notice should be provided to an apparent low bidder who is being rejected as non-responsive or non-responsible.

http://www.ogs.ny.gov/bu/pc/Docs/Guidelines.pdf

Which explains why no New York contract ever has cost over runs.

Medicaid Contract Bleeds the State - WSJ

But, please, keep defending the indefensible. I will always win when it comes to pointing out that government does not work.

Linda Rolain's enrollment troubles kept her from treatment in January for an aggressive brain tumor, has died.

Woman in class-action lawsuit against Xerox dies | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Rolain’s husband, Robert, said the couple began trying to sign up in November, well ahead of the Dec. 15 deadline for January coverage. After wrestling with repeated sign-up problems, the Rolains bought a plan that took effect in March. But they said Xerox staffers miscommunicated the policy’s effective date, so they didn’t know until May that they had coverage.

Linda Rolain was first diagnosed with a brain tumor in early 2014, after a seizure in late 2013. Robert Rolain said in a June 19 news conference at the downtown Las Vegas offices of Callister, Immerman and Associates that his wife’s care was delayed for months because of their insurance troubles.

Robert Rolain alleges his wife’s tumor went from treatable in winter to fatal in spring as the couple fought for coverage.

Linda Rolain was admitted to hospice care in early June.

This is SOCIALISM.. Take a good look.

Stories like these occur all the time in Canada and the UK. A majority of Canadians claim they are happy with their healthcare system, but that's only because they haven't really needed it. When they do, they find their life is threatened by the healthcare bureaucracy.

Really? I just happen to PERSONALLY know a Canadian couple with two kids who took a trip to Disneyland about 10 years ago. After driving home, the husband came down with what they first thought was a cold. Later, they thought it was the flu. And later still, pneumonia. Turns out he had contracted Legionnaires disease (probably from a stay at an American motel). But the Canadian system not only kept him alive until he recovered, they weren't saddled with years of debt because of fees and limitations of coverage etc, nor were they at risk of a medical bankruptcy like is common here in the states.

Once he recovered fully, life went on as before.

Common here in the United States ?

Praytell, what is your support for that statement.

Breaking !

Woman with an aggressive brain tumor denied a fighting chance......Obamacare to blame.

Fixed it for you.

How do you know she was denied a fighting chance? You a doctor? Did you have a chance to examine her?

I read the OP.

Have a day.

The OP is a doctor? Examined her?

You know...my aunt had an aggressive brain tumor about 15 years ago....she died. Should we blame Obamacare in her case?

Forum List

Back