Would 'Gun Control' Reduce Murder?

So the study purports to show that gun control doesn't control murder by means other than guns??

lolol, my first literal LOL of the day!!!

If guns made a society safer, we'd have the safest society in the history of the universe. Instead we have one of the most violent and are "raised in violence" according to one guy on this thread.

Gee, I wonder why?

There are more guns today….yet the murder rate, which was 10.7/ 100k in 1980…is now 4.8 (2011) DoJ stats….

Clearly not association between guns and the murder rate.

2/3 of gun deaths are suicide.
Suicide Rates Surge, Now Account For 2/3 Of Gun Deaths

If guns made a society safer, we'd have the safest society in the history of the universe. Instead we have one of the most violent and are "raised in violence" according to one guy on this thread.

Since Norway receives high praise in the OP for its low murder rate, let's take a look at Norway's gun control policies:

Right to Possess Firearms

In Norway, the right to private gun ownership is not guaranteed by law

Prohibited Firearms and Ammunition

In Norway, private possession of fully automatic weapons is permitted under licence

In Norway, private possession of semi-automatic assault weapons is permitted under licence

In Norway, private possession of handguns (pistols and revolvers) is permitted under licence

In Norway, only licensed gun owners may lawfully acquire, possess or transfer a firearm or ammunition

Genuine Reason Required for Firearm Licence

Applicants for a gun owner’s licence in Norway are required to prove genuine reason to possess a firearm, for example, hunting, target shooting, collection, personal protection, security

Age for Firearm Possession

The minimum age for gun ownership in Norway is 16 years with special consent, 18 or 21 years for particular firearms

Background Checks

An applicant for a firearm licence in Norway must pass background checks which consider criminal and mental records

In Norway, third party character references for each gun licence applicant are not required

Domestic Violence and Firearms

Where a past history, or apprehended likelihood of family violence exists, the law in Norway does not stipulate that a gun licence should be denied or revoked

Firearm Safety Training

In Norway, an understanding of firearm safety and the law, tested in a theoretical and/or practical training course is required for a firearm licence

Limit on Number of Guns

Licensed firearm owners in Norway are permitted to possess any number of firearms

Limit on Quantity, Type of Ammunition

A licensed firearm owner in Norway is permitted to possess any quantity of ammunition

Civilian Gun Registration

In Norway, the law requires that a record of the acquisition, possession and transfer of each privately held firearm be retained in an official register

Gun Dealer Record Keeping

In Norway, licensed firearm dealers are not required to keep a record of each firearm or ammunition purchase, sale or transfer on behalf of a regulating authority

State-Owned Firearm Records

In Norway, State agencies are required to maintain records of the storage and movement of all firearms and ammunition under their control

Regulation of Private Gun Sales

In Norway, the private sale and transfer of firearms is prohibited.

well, thats' enough of that...

Okay, since you want Norway's murder rate, you should want Norway's gun control.

Guns in Norway: Facts, Figures and Firearm Law

better yet, lets take a look a norways gun murder rates before initiating these laws. Oh, I see they were low before too. these laws really haven't changed anything. the example you liberal idiots keep trying to push is like saying if people who don't go out in the sun apply sunscreen they will reduce their incidence of skin cancer.

How do you know what has or hasn't changed? You're an imbecile who wants zero gun control.

because unlike you i actually check my facts instead of just spewing left wing doctrine

Since Norway receives high praise in the OP for its low murder rate, let's take a look at Norway's gun control policies:

In Norway, private possession of fully automatic weapons is permitted under licence

In Norway, private possession of semi-automatic assault weapons is permitted under licence

In Norway, private possession of handguns (pistols and revolvers) is permitted under licence

In Norway, only licensed gun owners may lawfully acquire, possess or transfer a firearm or ammunition

Applicants for a gun owner’s licence in Norway are required to prove genuine reason to possess a firearm, for example, hunting, target shooting, collection, personal protection, security

The minimum age for gun ownership in Norway is 16 years with special consent, 18 or 21 years for particular firearms

Background Checks

An applicant for a firearm licence in Norway must pass background checks which consider criminal and mental records

In Norway, third party character references for each gun licence applicant are not required

Where a past history, or apprehended likelihood of family violence exists, the law in Norway does not stipulate that a gun licence should be denied or revoked

Firearm Safety Training

In Norway, an understanding of firearm safety and the law, tested in a theoretical and/or practical training course is required for a firearm licence

Limit on Number of Guns

Licensed firearm owners in Norway are permitted to possess any number of firearms

A licensed firearm owner in Norway is permitted to possess any quantity of ammunition

In Norway, the law requires that a record of the acquisition, possession and transfer of each privately held firearm be retained in an official register

In Norway, licensed firearm dealers are not required to keep a record of each firearm or ammunition purchase, sale or transfer on behalf of a regulating authority

In Norway, State agencies are required to maintain records of the storage and movement of all firearms and ammunition under their control

Okay, since you want Norway's murder rate, you should want Norway's gun control.

better yet, lets take a look a norways gun murder rates before initiating these laws. Oh, I see they were low before too. these laws really haven't changed anything. the example you liberal idiots keep trying to push is like saying if people who don't go out in the sun apply sunscreen they will reduce their incidence of skin cancer.

How do you know what has or hasn't changed? You're an imbecile who wants zero gun control.

And what is wrong with that? Why do you want to control guns? And please get hold of your emotions and make a respectful logical response.:eusa_angel:

Gee, I wonder why?

There are more guns today….yet the murder rate, which was 10.7/ 100k in 1980…is now 4.8 (2011) DoJ stats….

lets look at ny carbineers anti gun facts. 1 in 3 people in norway have a gun, yet they have a dozen gun deaths a year. high rate of gun ownership, low death rate. how are guns the problem?

I allready posted this in another thread but again it is not a Harvard study. If you would read it and do some research on the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy you would know this. Hell, the authors are not even from Harvard. It was published in a journal run by Harvard Law School conservative students and I am sure they pick studies to publish from across the nation that fit their agenda. To say this is a Harvard study is disengenuous.

"The Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy is published three times annually by the Harvard Society for Law & Public Policy, Inc., an organization of Harvard Law School students.

The Journal is one of the most widely circulated student-edited law reviews and the nation’s leading forum for conservative and libertarian legal scholarship."

Harvard JLPP

So basically it is a politically biased organization that picks studies to enhance their arguements. I'm sure there is a counter organization at Harvard that publishes left leaning acedemic studies.

The authors are not even from Harvard so how can it be a Harvard study:

* Don B. Kates (LL.B., Yale, 1966) is an American criminologist and constitutional
lawyer associated with the Pacific Research Institute, San Francisco. He may be contacted
at [email protected]; 360‐666‐2688; 22608 N.E. 269th Ave., Battle Ground,
WA 98604.
** Gary Mauser (Ph.D., University of California, Irvine, 1970) is a Canadian criminologist
and university professor at Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC Canada.
He may be contacted at Gary Mauser, [email protected], and 604‐291‐3652.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

Is your post aimed, no pun intended, at disproving the study?

The CDC has come to the same conclusion as the authors.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/rr/rr5214.pdf

The Task Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws or combinations of laws reviewed on violent outcomes.

No, but it's fun to catch you lying.:cool:

I was hoping you'd come back....but as you haven't, for my own amusement, and as a exercise in logic....

...I'll prove that you are the liar. Ready?

1. Your claim is that I have lied in stating that the report was from Harvard.
You: "but it's fun to catch you lying."

2. Let's see. The OP begins:
"Well, well, well.....we just got the answer.
And, from Harvard, no less.

3. It continues, within quotation marks, with
" " A study published in the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy..."

4. I believe you have admitted that it was published by 'the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy.'

5. QED, I accurately stated '...from Harvard,...'

6. Since your charge is untrue on the face of it....you must be a liar!

Was that elegant, or what.

Further....you declined to disagree with the conclusion of the report....so, the post is pretty much evidence that you are, at the least, a fool.

You have accrued two titles!
Wear them proudly!
Realize, you could accurately change your avi to "Lying Fool"...and who could argue.

chart3a-deaths-resulting-from-firearms-data.jpg

END OF THREAD.

because unlike you i actually check my facts instead of just spewing left wing doctrine

Like I said, you want a convicted bank robber to be able to walk out of prison and buy an AR15, no questions asked, the same day.

No sane person supports that, which means by definition you're insane.

I have the right to a firearm guanranteed by the 2nd amendment, as long as a court of law has not stripped me of said right.

Dont like it? Repeal the 2nd amendment, until then go pound sand.

The author of this thread praised Norway's gun policies as a formula for low murder rates.

Take it up with her, asshole.

No, im taking it up with you, you dipshit gun grabbing cumwad.

No, you made an irrelevant post. If you want to debate the issue, grow up, be a man, or at the very least whatever passes for a man in whatever cesspool of ignorance you come from,

and be relevant.

The Task Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws or combinations of laws reviewed on violent outcomes.

I was hoping you'd come back....but as you haven't, for my own amusement, and as a exercise in logic....

...I'll prove that you are the liar. Ready?

1. Your claim is that I have lied in stating that the report was from Harvard.
You: "but it's fun to catch you lying."

2. Let's see. The OP begins:
"Well, well, well.....we just got the answer.

3. It continues, within quotation marks, with
" " A study published in the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy..."

4. I believe you have admitted that it was published by 'the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy.'

5. QED, I accurately stated '...from Harvard,...'

6. Since your charge is untrue on the face of it....you must be a liar!

Was that elegant, or what.

Further....you declined to disagree with the conclusion of the report....so, the post is pretty much evidence that you are, at the least, a fool.

You have accrued two titles!
Wear them proudly!
Realize, you could accurately change your avi to "Lying Fool"...and who could argue.

You said:

"2. Will a Harvard man listen to Harvard research?"

It's not 'Harvard research'.

The authors and acknowledgments, directly from the paper itself, which of course you never read:

* Don B. Kates (LL.B., Yale, 1966) is an American criminologist and constitutional
lawyer associated with the Pacific Research Institute, San Francisco. He may be con‐
tacted at [email protected]; 360‐666‐2688; 22608 N.E. 269th Ave., Battle Ground,
WA 98604.
** Gary Mauser (Ph.D., University of California, Irvine, 1970) is a Canadian crimi‐
nologist and university professor at Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC Canada.
We gratefully acknowledge the generous contributions of Professor Thomas B. Cole
(University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Social Medicine and Epidemiology);
Chief Superintendent Colin Greenwood (West Yorkshire Constabulary, ret.); C.B.
Kates; Abigail Kohn (University of Sydney, Law); David B. Kopel (Independence
Institute); Professor Timothy D. Lytton (Albany Law School); Professor William
Alex Pridemore (University of Oklahoma, Sociology); Professor Randolph Roth
(Ohio State University, History); Professor Thomas Velk (McGill University, Eco‐
nomics and Chairman of the North American Studies Program); Professor Robert
Weisberg (Stanford Law School); and John Whitley (University of Adelaide, Eco‐
nomics). Any merits of this paper reflect their advice and contributions; errors are
entirely ours.

I see no merit or accuracy in identifying this as 'Harvard research'.

I suspect your habitual ignorance, moreso than your habitual dishonesty, is the source of this inaccuracy.

Gee, I wonder why?

If guns made a society dangerous we would have a higher murder rate than Russia.

We don't.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox
So the study purports to show that gun control doesn't control murder by means other than guns??

lolol, my first literal LOL of the day!!!

Gee, I wonder why?

One of the most violent? Are you one of those idiots that pulls stats out of your ass?

Will it stop muders? or will it reduce murders?

You're being tricky with words with the OP question

Let me quote directly from the study on Russia, which gets a mention in the OP:

"...stringent gun controls that were effectuated
by a police state apparatus providing stringent enforcement. So successful was that regime that few Russian civilians now have firearms and very few murders involve them."

Not quite the picture painted by the OP, eh?

Russia has a higher homicide rate than the US despite the lack of guns. How is that not quite the picture painted by the OP? Is it because you are an idiot and can't read, and thus believe no one else can? Or are you really stupid, and don't read?

Background Checks

Firearm Safety Training

Limit on Number of Guns

This is what is known as cherry picking.

Will it stop muders? or will it reduce murders?

You're being tricky with words with the OP question

Let me quote directly from the study on Russia, which gets a mention in the OP:

"...stringent gun controls that were effectuated
by a police state apparatus providing stringent enforcement. So successful was that regime that few Russian civilians now have firearms and very few murders involve them"

Not quite the picture painted by the OP, eh?

Russia has a higher homicide rate than the US despite the lack of guns. How is that not quite the picture painted by the OP? Is it because you are an idiot and can't read, and thus believe no one else can? Or are you really stupid, and don't read?

Our libtard loons consider death from the firearm to be worse than from the beating or a knife :lol:

Well, well, well.....we just got the answer.

1. " A study published in the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy this spring calls into question the conventional wisdom behind arguments for more strict gun control. Namely, the idea that fewer guns would equal less deadly violence.

2. Will a Harvard man listen to Harvard research?

Probably not, if the Harvard man is Barack Obama, and what Harvard’s saying flies in the face of liberal pieties – and misconceptions and lies – about gun ownership, gun violence and gun control...

3 .Like the recently reported CDC study about gun violence Obama commissioned himself, the message to gun grabbers is clear:

They’re wrong.

4. A Harvard study released in the spring .... focused on the prevalence of gun ownership in the United States versus those strict gun-control countries in Europe the left is so fond of talking about.

5. Looking at historical patterns in the United States from the colonial and post-colonial days, and in Europe going back to the time before guns were even invented, ...a clear conclusion:

“Nations with higher gun ownership rates … do not have higher murder or suicide rates than those with lower gun ownership…”

a. Russia. Under communist rule, the former Soviet union was largely disarmed by the government for the better part of a century, has a homicide rate four times higher than the U.S.

6. .... if guns aren’t the true source of the problem, we’d best be honest and open about that, so we can better focus on finding real solutions.

7. ... solutions have much more to do with reversing the breakdown of the two-parent family, and our culture’s wide-armed embrace of moral relativism."
Harvard Study: Banning Guns Would Not Reduce Murder

8. "Heavily armed Norwegians, where gun ownership is highest in Western Europe, have the continent’s lowest homicide rate, researchers Don Kates and Gary Mauser wrote.

9. In the United States, homicide rates were relatively low, despite periods when firearms were widely available – the colonial era, when Americans were the world’s most heavily armed population, the post-Civil War years, when the country was awash in surplus guns and filled with men trained to use them.

10. And today?

Communities where gun-ownership rates are highest are where the homicide rates are lowest,...."
Harvard study proves gun-grabbers? argument dead wrong - BizPac Review

How often are Liberals going to be proven wrong, and conservatives correct, before folks on the Left learn???

Avagadro's number comes to mind.....

I allready posted this in another thread but again it is not a Harvard study. If you would read it and do some research on the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy you would know this. Hell, the authors are not even from Harvard. It was published in a journal run by Harvard Law School conservative students and I am sure they pick studies to publish from across the nation that fit their agenda. To say this is a Harvard study is disengenuous.

"The Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy is published three times annually by the Harvard Society for Law & Public Policy, Inc., an organization of Harvard Law School students.

The Journal is one of the most widely circulated student-edited law reviews and the nation’s leading forum for conservative and libertarian legal scholarship."

Harvard JLPP

So basically it is a politically biased organization that picks studies to enhance their arguements. I'm sure there is a counter organization at Harvard that publishes left leaning acedemic studies.

lawyer associated with the Pacific Research Institute, San Francisco. He may be contacted
WA 98604.
** Gary Mauser (Ph.D., University of California, Irvine, 1970) is a Canadian criminologist

Can you prove any of the data they supplied is wrong? Do you consider the CDC a politically biased organization? Because they came to essentially the same conclusion using data from only the US.

Harvard JLPP

WA 98604.

Why don't you go post it in my thread about the same study?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/gener...nning-firearms-reduce-murder-and-suicide.html

Background Checks

Firearm Safety Training

Limit on Number of Guns

This is what is known as cherry picking.

In what way?

If you claim cause and effect between Norway's gun policy and Norway's murder rate, why wouldn't you look at all of Norway's gun policy?

Forum List

Back