Would Trump's proposed tariffs instead of income tax ever become LAW? (Poll)

Would the House and Senate agree to replace the Income Tax with Tariffs?

• Yes, especially if the GOP wins both houses

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • No, the downside risks are too big

Votes: 23 95.8%

• Total voters
All just reprints of the original story

Lying lib journalists are too lazy to create two lie s when one is enough
Jesse had a montage of different reports of what was said, that was one of them.
They are so wigged out by Trump polling that they now are creating their own fake news and don't seem to care.

No, and it shouldn't even be considered until a Constitutional amendment is passed that renders the 16th amendment void and disallows Congress' authority to levy an income tax. I mistrust the any politician who speaks of increased taxes (tariffs in this case) without this tax protection for We the People.

So you’re not entirely against a really stupid idea because of the possibility that Trump said it. Got it.
Of course not

Trump is already of record eith ideas I font support and I will say so

But your side can invent any number of outrageous unproven rumors and then you come around demanding that I deal with them

But I wont play that game with you

Of course not

Your side can invent any number of outrageous unproven rumors and then you come around demanding that I deal with them

But I wont play that game with you
You willingly came to this thread and said it’s a stupid idea. Because it is.

Are you saying that the OP is stupid for posting the topic?
No, I am saying you are stupid for trying to make an argument out of the "possibilty" when you went as far to say this:

Assuming it’s true (because it is), would you admit that it’s a stupid idea by Trump or are you going to argue that he’s just joking again?
So which is it, true or a possibility?

No, I am saying you are stupid for trying to make an argument out of the "possibilty" when you went as far to say this:

So which is it, true or a possibility?
It is a true proposal, but not guaranteed to become Law.

Ron Insana: How Trump’s pitch to replace the income tax with tariffs on imports could rattle the economy​

Can Trump Eliminate The Income Tax? Maybe With An 85% Tariff​

Trump floats eliminating U.S. income tax and replacing it with tariffs on imports​

Be careful. I’d hate to see you fall when you’re backpedaling like that.
You claimed it was true until it was pointed out to you that the people reporting on it weren't there.......then it morphed into a 'possibility'

Backpedal away........

It is a true proposal, but not guaranteed to become Law.

Your article:

This week, Trump floated the concept of imposing an "all tariff policy," ultimately to eliminate the income tax, sources told CNBC.

Those are the same clowns pedaling the other stories.

You claimed it was true until it was pointed out to you that the people reporting on it weren't there.......then it morphed into a 'possibility'
I believe it’s true. I was discussing it with someone who doesn’t believe it’s true, hence the conditional language. Not complicated.

This week, Trump floated the concept of imposing an "all tariff policy," ultimately to eliminate the income tax, sources told CNBC.

Are you saying that the OP is stupid for posting the topic?
1718473294711.gif

Backpedal away........

Your article:

So if it wasn't true wouldn't Trump be all over "truth-social" denying it?

Here is a link to FoxNews, confirming that it was a serious proposal by Trump

White House says Trump’s tariffs will destroy manufacturing, exacerbate inflation​

Always the "showman", always dominating the news cycle, Trump once again comes up with a new and controversial idea, to replace the income tax with higher tariffs.

I don't see how the math works:
Income taxes bring in $2,200b a year currently, more if the Trump tax cuts are let expire.
Tariffs currently bring in $88b a year, but not everything imported pays a tariff

Looking at the total of US imports, lets say $4,000b a year.
  • U.S. imports for 2022 was $3,966.17B, a 16.37% increase from 2021.
  • U.S. imports for 2021 was $3,408.28B, a 22.75% increase from 2020.
  • U.S. imports for 2020 was $2,776.50B, a 10.92% decline from 2019.
  • U.S. imports for 2019 was $3,116.95B, a 0.45% decline from 2018.
So to raise ~$3T a year in revenue a 75% to 100% tariff would need to be imposed on all items. Would that make them too expensive to purchase??
Plus would that level of tariff start "trade wars" with everyone, hurting exports?

Trump's idea to replace income taxes with tariffs is a "sure way" to hurt the poor and help the rich​

Indeed, tariffs are understood to hike consumer prices because companies pass on the cost of the tariffs they pay. Tariffs currently account for $88.3 billion of the $4.4 trillion in revenues the U.S. government reported in fiscal year 2023. Income taxes brought in about $2.2 trillion, the Treasury Department reported. To bring tariff revenues even close to income tax levels would require a dramatic spike in import taxes, much higher than Trump’s proposed 10%.

So I tend to agree with the link that replacing the Income Tax with Tariffs is a bad idea. It seems to be a billionaire's attempt to lower his income tax by punishing the poor and middle class. This idea makes me squishy in my support for Trump, I hope the House and Senate would NOT support this goofy idea.
Of course the federal government needs to be cut in 1/2 for three consecutive years, and then the 88 billion would be more than enough to cover the cost of the government. Also this is a fair tax, because everyone would be paying that Sales Tax, instead of punishing the successful for working while rewarding the shitty poor by giving them free shit. Time for that to end, put everyone to work.

Of course the federal government needs to be cut in 1/2 for three consecutive years, and then the 88 billion would be more than enough to cover the cost of the government. Also this is a fair tax, because everyone would be paying that Sales Tax, instead of punishing the successful for working while rewarding the shitty poor by giving them free shit. Time for that to end, put everyone to work.
Thanks for putting up a defense of Trump' proposal.

I think its stupid and I'm a Trump supporter, at least so far.

Here are the budgets from Trump and Biden:
Trump $4T
Biden $7,3T

2021 Federal Budget
Outlays $4.88T
Receipts $3.86T
Deficit $1.02T

Discretionary Spending
Defense $753b
Non-defense $733b
Total $1.49T

Mandatory Spending
Social Security $1,115b
Medicare 746b
Medicaid 452b
Other 660b
Interest on Debt 379b
Total $3.39T

There is no way to cut your way to a balanced budget by cutting government.
Welfare is now about $1,3T. So send that back to the states is what I believe you are saying.
Same with Medicaid? That would save some if the poor could be made to work.

Biden's $7.3b budget is a monstrosity that House Republicans APPROVED. Bastards.

The income tax will always be with
The Nobility with No Ability

The omnipotent 1% have $75T. About 4% die every year. Take the inheritance away from their mooching spoiled brats and there will be no need to have any income tax ever again. It will be given back to the employees and consumers who helped the HeirDads earn it, not to un-American guillotine-fodder who did nothing to get it except win at Sperm Bingo.

The Nobility with No Ability

The omnipotent 1% have $75T. About 4% die every year. Take the inheritance away from their mooching spoiled brats and there will be no need to have any income tax ever again. It will be given back to the employees and consumers who helped the HeirDads earn it, not to un-American guillotine-fodder who did nothing to get it except win at Sperm Bingo.
That's called the "Death Tax".

Estate Tax & Inheritance Tax

That's where Tax Attorneys earn their pay.

Tax shelters and loop-holes are ALWAYS provided by politicians sucking for shekels.

No, and it shouldn't even be considered until a Constitutional amendment is passed that renders the 16th amendment void and disallows Congress' authority to levy an income tax. I mistrust the any politician who speaks of increased taxes (tariffs in this case) without this tax protection for We the People.
As President, Trump could simply shut down the collection and processing of income taxes at the federal level. He would need Congress to levy tariffs. Getting an amendment would take time, but it wouldn't be necessary. The 16th authorizes taxation. It does not require it.

Forum List

Back