WSJ: Fear of Trump Prompted Russia to Speed Up Prisoner Swap

And remember, the WSJ is not friendly towards Trump.

So, even when he isn't President, Trump accomplishes more than Biden.

MAGA.

Russia became more interested in a prisoner swap with the United States after it became clear that Donald Trump could return to the White House, according to the Wall Street Journal, whose reporter, Evan Gerskovich, was freed.

The Journal noted Saturday that “Moscow’s concerns about a potential Trump presidency speeded up the deal.”

It added:

At the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee last month, Trump notably said: “And to the entire world, I tell you this, we want our hostages back — and they better be back before I assume office, or you will be paying a very big price.”

Trump has prided himself on freeing Americans held abroad without being forced into lopsided exchanges such as those the Biden administration has accepted — and which, critics say, provide incentives for more hostage-taking in future.

In 2018, Turkey released Ameican pastor Andrew Brunson after Trump threatened to hit the Turkish economy with tough economic sanctions.

Russia may have preferred to negotiate with the more pliant Biden administration, which had shown its willingness in the past to trade valuable, even dangerous, convicts for Americans held abroad.

The Biden prisoner swap still left many Americans behind in Russian prisons, the Journal noted separately.

I wouldn't doubt it.

The Biden administration are the same people who traded a notorious arms dealer literally nick named "the merchant of death" for a wnba anti America basketball player arrested for taking illegal substances into a foreign nation.

So of course Putin wants a trade before trump is up to bat. Putin can push around the current administration all he wants. Better to make a deal with someone you can advantage of before you're forced to deal with someone else you can't

Forum List

Back