Your thoughts on this? ("Should we really still be calling it ‪'Columbus Day?'‬")

Columbus, though a Genoian, sailed for Spain, a country whose colonizers intermarried with the Indians, instead of killing them all, like the English did in North America. Consequently, if there is to be someone to be celebrated for the discovery of America, I would rather it be Columbus, rather than one of the New England Puritans, whose idea of negotiation with the Natives was to kill them all, like the did to the Pequot's.

The Spanish killed a shitload more Native people than the Puritans did.

It may seem trivial now, when flying over the Atlantic ocean takes a few hours, with free drinks, but 500 years ago, it took some balls. Hurricanes ...no satellite weather maps...no GPS .. no fresh food ... scurvy .. no modern medicine ... heck, for all Columbus knew, the flat earthers were right. He get's his own day for having gumption.

By the time of Columbus people had known the earth was round for many, many centuries.

It may seem trivial now, when flying over the Atlantic ocean takes a few hours, with free drinks, but 500 years ago, it took some balls. Hurricanes ...no satellite weather maps...no GPS .. no fresh food ... scurvy .. no modern medicine ... heck, for all Columbus knew, the flat earthers were right. He get's his own day for having gumption.

By the time of Columbus people had known the earth was round for many, many centuries.

'During Christopher Columbus’ fourth voyage to the new world, the explorer added another first to his amazing life story during the summer of 1502– he gave the first documented hurricane warning.

He was sailing just off the coast of the island of Hispaniola when he recognized the signs of an approaching hurricane. Large waves were crashing on the island shores off the Caribbean.
Normally, the near-constant trade winds of the tropics produced a steady and predictable wave action. Also, thick high cirrus clouds were overspreading the island from the east. He had learned from previous voyages that these two observations signified the approach of a hurricane.

Columbus needed safe harbor for his fleet and asked the Spanish Governor of Hispaniola, Don Nicolas de Orevando, for permission to sail his fleet into the port of Santo Domingo, but was denied access. He then set sail for protected locations south of the island.

Before leaving he warned Governor Orevando not to sail a fleet of 30 ships bound for Spain with gold and slaves, but to stay in port until the hurricane passed. Orevando ridiculed the warning and sent the fleet out to sea. The inevitable happened. The force of the hurricane destroyed all but one ship in the fleet. At least 500 men lost their lives.

Columbus and his fleet of four vessels survived the storm on the lee side of the island.'

Bill Read Christopher Columbus gave first documented hurricane warning News - Home

The is conservative revisionist history.
You don't know history. Disease killed off most of those who died, not "genocide". And don't start with the small pox blankets.
My mother was an Indian. I grew up hearing the truth from Indians, not Whites.

No, you grew up hearing their biased accounts. How does such a simple fact escape you?
History is biased. the victors get to write it, but there are two sides to every story. You are obviously easily subjected to propaganda.

Back at you, douche bag. You are projecting again.
Your need for insult and vulgarity shows your insecurity in what you say.

There is nothing more hilarious than watching a bunch of progressives, ignorants, and racists get together in the same room. It's like a family get together on a holiday. Everyone bitches. But no one has the spine to killl each other much less actually do anything.

Indians at the time were savages. Now they're at least a little bit civilized. Isn't that better?

Jesus Christ, so much hate.

I forgot all about Columbus Day and am happy to know I don't have to go to work tomorrow.

Then we can skip right over that pagan Halloween and argue over "thanksgiving" and "Xmas" : lol:

Yeah, then we will be hearing about the "war on xmas" as the fake christians run up their charge cards.

So if you buy Christmas presents that make you a 'fake' Christian? Do tell.

I forgot all about Columbus Day and am happy to know I don't have to go to work tomorrow.

Then we can skip right over that pagan Halloween and argue over "thanksgiving" and "Xmas" : lol:

Yeah, then we will be hearing about the "war on xmas" as the fake christians run up their charge cards.

It depends, do you do the "eye for an eye" thing?

It depends, do you do the "eye for an eye" thing?

?? What?

Very stupid response. You equate oral tradition with peer reviewed writings. LOL.
Nice deflection.
Yours is the deflection. Oral tradition doesn't mean shit in academia.
And you were afraid to answer my question.
I did. Have a child explain it to you.
"Yours is the deflection. Oral tradition doesn't mean shit in academia."
Your insults do not mask your fear.

Forum List

Back