Zero jail time for blocking the Bay Bridge, but four years for blocking the entrance to an abortion clinic.

Protesting is a right. Violating the rights of others, such as blocking their free passage, may be impacted by legal consequences. That is part of civil disobedience; follow your conscience and accept the consequences (if ya can't do th' time... sort of thing).

I hate this double standard.

They should both get the same punishment.

“Protesters who blocked Bay Bridge announce agreement with court, avoid jail time”

Protesters who blocked Bay Bridge announce agreement with court, avoid jail time

“Anti-abortion activist who led a clinic blockade is sentenced to nearly 5 years in prison”

Anti-abortion activist who led a clinic blockade is sentenced to nearly 5 years in prison

They should both get the same punishment.

The punishment should depend on the number of people inconvenienced and for how long.

Block a few people for a few minutes. Give them a day.
Block ten thousand people for three hours.....I'm thinking life.

I am more or less referring to if you turn up a street and there is no going back, and protesters surround your car. If the cops stop you from going forward, do go forward. If stuck there surround, by all means wait for the "Don't walk" light and green light. Not even saying intentionally injure any protestors, as why I would inch through, but I would not wait for nut-ball prostesters to become violent. But, you do as you think best.

The thing is the social compact is we give this task to the Police. They are being told by the political types to not do their job.

The right to travel is a constitutional right and more specifically an unenumerated right. (9th amendment).

While your arguement is interesting, I expect nobody's right to travel was stopped, just made more difficult. Certainly lawyers would have considered this legal angle.

Abortion was also an unenumerated right until SCOTUS overturned 50 years of precedent. Now it is no longer an unenumerated right.

I hope SCOTUS doesn't overturn the right to travel as well.

Sorry, being held in your car with no means of leaving for 2-3 hours is not something being made "just more difficult"

Unless it comes to prosecuting right wingers, then it’s oppressing you.

These people are being given a pass, not even being prosecuted for being a pedestrian on a limited access highway, which is against the law. Just because the local politicians agree with their views.

Meanwhile people on the right get the book thrown at them and extra charges solely for their political views.

The thing is the social compact is we give this task to the Police. They are being told by the political types to not do their job.
By now, you should know me. If trapped by an angry mob, social compact be damned. The lives and security of my family, anyone in my car and myself, suddenly become paramount, and I will take my chances with the courts, rather than the mob, if threatened. While I would try to avoid anyone else's death or serious injury to the best of my ability, responsibility for the safe passage of anybody in my vehicle, as my responsibility, would reign supreme, and I would do whatever I had to, to egress the situation. If it make you feel any better about my attitude, and the fact, I already know which side I would err on, know, I would never intentionally drive anywhere near or participate in an organized protest involving mass civil disobedience. If you noticed on the videos, none of the drivers were actually charged, though some may have been stopped and questioned and, there were not severe injuries, as the drivers were mostly slow about how they pushed through. Most protesters will not purposely martyr themselves beneath your wheels.

These people are being given a pass, not even being prosecuted for being a pedestrian on a limited access highway, which is against the law. Just because the local politicians agree with their views.

Meanwhile people on the right get the book thrown at them and extra charges solely for their political views.
Tons of people get passes all the time. Thousands of January 6th rioters aren’t being prosecuted.

Hell, the Republican AG of South Dakota killed a guy and it was covered up.

By now, you should know me. If trapped by an angry mob, social compact be damned. The lives and security of my family, anyone in my car and myself, suddenly become paramount, and I will take my chances with the courts, rather than the mob, if threatened. While I would try to avoid anyone else's death or serious injury to the best of my ability, responsibility for the safe passage of anybody in my vehicle, as my responsibility, would reign supreme, and I would do whatever I had to, to egress the situation. If it make you feel any better about my attitude, and the fact, I already know which side I would err on, know, I would never intentionally drive anywhere near or participate in an organized protest involving mass civil disobedience. If you noticed on the videos, none of the drivers were actually charged, though some may have been stopped and questioned and, there were not severe injuries, as the drivers were mostly slow about how they pushed through. Most protesters will not purposely martyr themselves beneath your wheels.

My point is you should have to be in that position in the first place. "Judged by 12 than carried by 6" assumes a fair justice system, not one being manipulated by the left for political gain.

Tons of people get passes all the time. Thousands of January 6th rioters aren’t being prosecuted.

Hell, the Republican AG of South Dakota killed a guy and it was covered up.

Deflection noted, and directed right up your well used ass.

Deflection noted, and directed right up your well used ass.
“Deflection noted” is a deflection.

Being a left wing protestor often means the police will beat your ass and violate your constitutional rights with no accountability.

Your belief that right wingers are so persecuted is bullshit.

“Deflection noted” is a deflection.

Being a left wing protestor often means the police will beat your ass and violate your constitutional rights with no accountability.

Your belief that right wingers are so persecuted is bullshit.

LOL. They consider being removed from the street "being beaten"

Meanwhile they show up in body armor and ready to fight.

How is that hershey highway of yours?

LOL. They consider being removed from the street "being beaten"

Meanwhile they show up in body armor and ready to fight.

How is that hershey highway of yours?
No, being beaten is being beaten. Police absolutely love smashing up protestors, at least when they’re left wing protestors. They show up in body armor ready to get beaten up by cops.

Right wing protestors are almost never bothered by cops.

No, being beaten is being beaten. Police absolutely love smashing up protestors, at least when they’re left wing protestors. They show up in body armor ready to get beaten up by cops.

Right wing protestors are almost never bothered by cops.

Rioters love pretending to be peaceful protesters and hiding amongst them.

When was the last big right wing protest that devolved into a riot?

Forum List

Back